PDA

View Full Version : A Rapid or an Oceanika?

MerEmma
01-16-2013, 02:08 PM
A lot of this is just to be more comfortable in my purchase...but which should I ask for my birthday? I'll mostly swim with it for a few months and then I may convince my mom to let me make a sequin tail skin. Does anyone have any ideas? I won't be ocean swimming. The Oceanika is much more expensive and I think I'd prefer it, but my sister thinks the Rapid is a better idea...thoughts?

Morticia Mermaid
01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Really depends on a few things. If you're looking for speed, go with the Rapid. But if you're looking for an easy (relaxed) swim and the mermaid shape, go with the oceanika

The tail I am currently working on. It's got the oceanika and I love it

Mermaid Annariea
01-16-2013, 05:17 PM
i havent owned or used the rapid, but i have an oceanika in my tail, and it is seriously wonderful. it isnt super fast, but i definitely swim faster than i do normally and without a monofin.

MerEmma
01-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Does the Rapid really only come in size 9-13? I just found that, and if it's the case, then I won't fit...lol.

Mermaid Harmony
01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
I have both, and I much prefer my rapid. My oceanika has a beautiful shape, and it's easier to do flips in, but I have to work 2x as hard to get somewhere compared to my rapid, and if you are planning on swimming in the ocean (like I do now), the rapid will be safer against current. 9-13 is a funny joke. I have a size 9 foot, and it's a little big on me, but my husbands a 12 and it barely fits him, (I think he stretched out my pockets), so it's more like 9-11 female. Get the wave, it's build like the rapid, but for people with smaller feet, go on ebay and get it for even cheaper than on finis, or use mermaid20 on finis.com. You can make your fabric look like an oceanika on a wave. But from someone who owns both an oceanika and a rapid, I'm in love with how powerful, sleek, and beautiful I feel underwater in my rapid. Just my opinion though, if you are in a pool oceanika is great, but the recycled rubber rubs against your skin badly, so you have to wear socks and stuff. The wave and rapid are adjustable, also making for a safety quick release if this is your first fin (practice first in your fin before going in a tail for sure). Hope this helps!

Mermaid Mandi
01-18-2013, 01:41 PM
I say a Oceanika Merfin it's the best really fast in water really perfect looks just like a merfin it's perfect I have it and I love it.

MerEmma
01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I have both, and I much prefer my rapid. My oceanika has a beautiful shape, and it's easier to do flips in, but I have to work 2x as hard to get somewhere compared to my rapid, and if you are planning on swimming in the ocean (like I do now), the rapid will be safer against current. 9-13 is a funny joke. I have a size 9 foot, and it's a little big on me, but my husbands a 12 and it barely fits him, (I think he stretched out my pockets), so it's more like 9-11 female. Get the wave, it's build like the rapid, but for people with smaller feet, go on ebay and get it for even cheaper than on finis, or use mermaid20 on finis.com. You can make your fabric look like an oceanika on a wave. But from someone who owns both an oceanika and a rapid, I'm in love with how powerful, sleek, and beautiful I feel underwater in my rapid. Just my opinion though, if you are in a pool oceanika is great, but the recycled rubber rubs against your skin badly, so you have to wear socks and stuff. The wave and rapid are adjustable, also making for a safety quick release if this is your first fin (practice first in your fin before going in a tail for sure). Hope this helps!

Haha, now I'm really confused! I understand what you mean, though. But it sounds like the Rapid will be way too big...I'm a six or seven in women's US shoe sizing. So the Oceanika rubs against your skin and leaves blisters? I get those really bad with my Churchill Fins currently, and I was hoping my next fin wouldn't do that.

Mermaid Harmony
01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
It only leaves blisters at least for me if I don't wear socks. If I wear socks I'm fine, sore still sometimes, but fine. The wave comes in your size though.

MerEmma
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
I know the Wave does, but I'd rather have something bigger like the Rapid, haha. Do you think the Oceanika might rub your feet because it's too small, or is it just the rubber?

MermanJesse
01-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Oceanika's website is down.

I have been waiting for them to restock so I can purchase a few mono fins from them for some tails.

spottedcatfish
01-19-2013, 03:29 AM
Oceanika's website is down.

I have been waiting for them to restock so I can purchase a few mono fins from them for some tails.

I noticed this. For me is says that the site is untrusted (unsafe)... hmm. I hope they can get it running soon. I also noticed that whenever I went to their site before, I would get a notice saying that a pop-up was blocked... I'm using firefox. Who else gets this?

Mermaid Harmony
01-19-2013, 03:34 AM
The Oceanika rubs your feet because it's rubber, at least that's my opinion, just the way it's formed, I know someone else here had one and it rubbed so they cut it.

Sammi Ray
01-19-2013, 04:55 AM
I had that two last week with the website. Clicked on a link and site was down.. hmm

Elle
01-19-2013, 05:21 AM
I have an oceanika and I got to take it out for the very first time today!!!!! :D
Yes it did rub on my feet (I had cut the foot pocket openings to make them wider). They aggravated my eczema a bit so i'm going to get some neoprene booties!
I found that they felt loose-ish around my ankle if I tried to speed up but were a lot of fun for slapping the water surface and such ^.^
I know everyone says that you get more speed in a rapid, but I had my fiance swimming next to me at a medium rate and I was able to overtake him easy with a slow kick (he was also using his arms and I wasn't)

Tasha Mermaid
01-19-2013, 06:56 AM
I own an Oceanika, i did message her before i bought mine and she did warn me that they are designed for kids and that my feet maybe a little big for them, she said she was currently only making them for children, im a ladies size 9 foot and hat to completely cut the backs off the feet and remake a new back band with elastic, i find it gives my feet cramps REALLY fast as i have a wider foot.....that being said it looks pretty and is easy to swim in and has a rather good speed to it, apart from the feet pocket issue i do like my blue Oceanika. I have recently purchased a Hydra and am waiting for that to arrive (it says its been shipped) im hoping that would be better as the sizes are not designed just for kids :)

MerEmma
01-19-2013, 08:26 AM
I am a kid, haha, so I don't see that being an overly-bad issue...I really don't want to wear neoprene booties, but it sounds like it's a common issue among you guys.

Tasha Mermaid
01-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Because it is made from rubber there will always be rubbing of the feet, i dont wear neoprene booties with mine but my feet sure hurt afterwards from were it has rubbed (for me its mainly across the top of the feet, i cut the back off because they rubbed too much) i have seen videos of kids wearing them without booties so im not sure, perhaps the rest of us are having issues BECAUSE we are not kids just a thought :P

Elle
01-19-2013, 04:52 PM
the oceanika (if you bought it from a store or had it shipped comes with a nice little tag that tells you it's recycled rubber and some other stuff, and then says you should consider wearing lycra or neoprene socks too prevent it from rubbing on your feet :)

Stefani
01-25-2013, 09:25 PM
the monofin is very good, nice and fast. It seems durable. I will advise it. If you have then is easier monofin make a tail.
I feel my writing, my English is a bit bad9230