PDA

View Full Version : Diving in a mermaid tail

Mahi Mermaid
01-17-2013, 08:29 PM
So I recently went down to the FL Keys and went diving in my tail. BUT I had some huge issues, the bubbles I was making from breathing were getting trapped into my tail and my dive partner who was under me brought his bubbles into my tail too which caused me to jet to the surface (VERY DANGEROUS). Seems like I was swimming vertically the whole time, fluke side towards the sky because of all the air trapped in the tail.

I see that Mermaid Melissa is a diver so I figured she may have some of the same problems, maybe Hannah too when she goes to such great depths? I don't know if any of you have scuba dived in your tail but if so, and you didn't have this problem please let me know how to fix it.

I did the dive in my mertailor basic latex tail, there are no slits like what AniaR showed in her recent Merbellas thread, maybe I could add them in? If I add slits or holes to the tail though, won't water get trapped and I'd be getting water + bubbles in my tail?

I could not regulate my buoyancy at all during my dive and like I said, it was super dangerous because I was going from 25 ft to 0 in seconds. I am so thankful I didn't continue on a deeper dive with the tail as I could have been seriously injured.

Capt Nemo...any ideas?

Mermaid Danielle
01-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Cutting slits into the tail sounds like a good idea. You could also try a belt around your waist to that the bubbles have a harder time getting between your skin and the tail. I'm glad you're okay, hope this helps!

Mahi Mermaid
01-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I also thought of the belt, but thought it may make matters worse, becaue then if bubbles got in, it would be even more of a balloon-like reaction.

Winged Mermaid
01-18-2013, 12:41 AM
I think the gaps at the waist that allow the air bubbles in are going to be your biggest issue. Hannah has a wide, tight, elastic belt around the inside of her tail at the waist with a heavy duty clamp. When I saw her there was no gapping at her waist. The quality of neoprene is a big factor with that. Mertailor tails are neoprin, so very poor quality which leads to a lot of gapping - which is usually fixed by adding a zipper and taking the tail in regularly, and possibly a elastic belt inside as well. Either way, latex is buoyant anyhow- if I were you I would look into weight belts. That's the best thing I can think of.

Mermaid Melanie
01-21-2013, 12:53 AM
Hey Krystal,

I would recommend getting some ankle weights as used in diving - you can wear these soft ankle weights inside your tail to help bring your legs (tail) down to a more neutral level. Also maybe taking a look at youtube at how people who dive in Drysuits correct the problem of air being trapped in the boots - remember air will try and travel the easiest path to escape in water so simply making yourself upright ( head up feet (fins) down and opening a little gap in the top of your tail should let the air escape. I get a good trade price on diving equipment so if anyone is interested in any equipment diving related please feel free to get in touch :) x

Gem Stone
01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
since my tails always have seams on the fluke, I just have to kick hard and the air gets knocked out of the fluke

Dacora
01-25-2013, 12:11 AM
I read the title as "Driving in a mermaid tail" and started freaking out that some one tried it.... Then I re-read it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

drucilla
01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
I thought you said driving in a mermaid tail!

drucilla
01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I thought you said driving in a mermaid tail! lol guess I'm not the only one who thought that. It would be practically impossible right?

drucilla
01-29-2013, 10:58 AM
sorry for the double post comp said it didn't post at all... grr.

AptaMer
01-29-2013, 01:41 PM
I read the title as "Driving in a mermaid tail" and started freaking out that some one tried it

Mermaids can drive! 9351

They just need a car with an automatic transmission and big pedals :)

Mermaid Pickles
01-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Makes sense to me. Driving. Ohgosh.

Capt Nemo
01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Vent the tail with a few small holes. You can wind up with the same problem with wetsuit hoods. Put a hole in it and it lets the air out.