PDA

View Full Version : What to expect with your first tail

AniaR
01-19-2013, 03:14 PM
I have made an observation between reading people's reviews, talking with other tail makers, and talking with friends on here. I think some people don't always have the correct expectations for their first tails. Regardless of the tail type. If you've never used a tail before, seen one in person, or worn one, you may not know what to expect! I was thinking it would be nice to start a thread where those of us who have had multiple tails can share their experiences. I also think this might help people who are ordering their first tails have more realistic expectations. I've noticed, and I think a few others have as well, that some complaints being voiced are actually what's standard currently in the tail making community. There are some things that tail makers just don't have a solution for yet.

So I'm going to share what I know, I'd love you to share what you know. Perhaps we can edit it all into a nice list to be stickied, and add it as a Tail Flip article!

I've owned and used a fabric tail, a neoprene/latex (alex) tail, and 2 silicone tails. I've talked to tail makers, and I've looked at my own PERSONAL experiences. Here's what I've learned:

•Most tails take time to get on until you get used to them and figure them out. Some tails have zippers, many don't. But if you've never put a tail on before even if it's fabric or silicone, it can take a bit to learn the ropes! Fabric tails and neoprene tails are easier to put on dry than silicone tails. Thicker tails are harder to roll down than thinner tails. Lubrication can help so long as it's not something that will degrade your tail.

•If you've never worn a monofin before, they can be uncomfortable. Different monofins will feel differently. Some have straps some have pockets. It can take time to learn to wear and swim in a monofin correctly.

•Most tails have seams, some tail makers have just worked out better ways to hide them. Many of the higher quality silicone tails have worked out ways so that you can only see seams up close. Many fabric tail makers add fringes or use sequins to hide seams. Point being, if two piece of materials are being put together- there will be a seam somewhere. So expect to see one unless you're specifically told you wont.

•Unless you have an elastic waistband put into your tail (like Hannas) regardless of the tail type, in some situations (or in all situations depending on your tail) you WILL get drag, which WILL pull open your waist. Many mers compensate for this by wearing belts. However, it's nearly impossible to keep air/water from travelling into your tail through the waist line. In the behind the scenes for Splash the tail makers explained that the way they achieved such a realistic effect with Madison's tail (no waist line, no knees, no wrinkles etc) was to shrink wrap her legs in plastic. It doesn't mean your tail doesn't "fit". The majority of materials mermaid tails are made out of have some percentage of stretch. Silicone stretches, latex stretches, fabric stretches, neoprene stretches.

•In that same line, most tails will wrinkle in some places. Why? Because the material stretches, and because we bend. The most common places for winkles are around the knee, and the ankles. If a tail is skin tight, it's still NOT skin, it's common to get wrinkles there. Some tail makers compensate by making those areas extra tight. It may give a good look, but can make it difficult to swim and move. Also tricky to get on (many have to reach down to pull monofin straps up when putting a tail on) It's been my personal experience that the thinner the material the likelier it is to wrinkle in those spots. My merbellas tail fit like a glove when I first got it. But it's thin. It still would wrinkle from time to time in those areas. My Jesse tail is super thick. it wont wrinkle as much, only in certain situations, but will still get a wrinkle in those spots. THE BEST WAY TO KEEP WRINKLES AWAY is to POINT YOUR TOES and keep your legs flexed. This is how so many mers achieve the wrinkle free look when posing for a photo. If I do that with my legs, I will have no wrinkles at all. You can also train yourself to swim and keep your legs straight behind you. I've lost weight now, so my merbellas tail is baggier (I'm saving up to have it taken in and extra fins added etc) a good trick for that sort of situation that I found in my experience works with ALL tail types, is to wear tights underneath. It gives the material something more tactile to grip to, reduces the amount of slipping and wrinkling, and can flesh out the tail and take away the costumed look. Point is, some wrinkling is normal, it doesn't mean your measurements are wrong.

•Measurements! Another area that is always causing headaches. Rule of thumb: if you aren't measuring to at least your belly button or above it, you'll end up with a low rise tail. For some people, it can work, for others, it wont cover their bum! If you're concerned about your tail not covering your butt, ask the tail maker the best way to measure, and measure several times. Generally the response I got from asking many tail makers is that if you send them measurements that are below your belly button- that thing will not cover your bum.

•Several tail makers use well hidden drainage holes. Some fabric/neoprene ones even keep hidden zippers or velcro. It's to help water escape, or help air move through to dry the tail. It does not mean your tail is damaged. Hannah's thread shows how her tail has an open fluke that is kept zippered. The german tail maker and many other fabric tail makers also have open end fluke designs. Several silicone tail makers that I speak to have drainage holes or slits.

•If your silicone or latex is NOT tinted, paint will chip off. If you're going for a cheaper tail and opt to not have the materials tinted, your paint is only sitting on a clear surface and will chip/scuff.

•With painting and tinting- lighter colours take longer and many more layers to set. This can delay tail production times.

•Silicone and latex and their tin cures can take longer to cure in cold or wet weather. This can delay tail production times.

•Most tail makers will say their tail's are neutral buoyancy or as close to neutral as can be. I've shown all my tails to my local diveshop and they actually believe they're all positively buoyant - though not by much. For some people, they can sink in a tail. For others, we can't (like me), That doesn't always mean your tail was poorly made or has problems. Some people just don't sink very well. If you can't sink when you swim normally, you may find investing in a weight belt will help you sink in a tail. This is not always the case, especially if your tail is trapping air in the fluke, (which can lead to you floating up tail first or butt first) but it's the general rule of thumb that if you can't sink without a tail you will likely still find it hard to sink with one.

•Silicone is HEAVY. Unless you have a tail that's partially silicone, or made very thin, expect it to be heavy.

•In that same thought, it can be hard to lift the fluke of a silicone tail. If you have a smaller monofin that doesn't fill the whole fluke, you wont be able to get it to stand straight up on it's own like mine does in my avatar.

EDIT:

A few more to add!

Tails are not invincible. No tail maker claims they are. Even a super expensive silicone tail will wear out over time, EVEN when you take good care of it. Typical things that can happen with silicone are minor holes and tears from pulling it on. They can be EASILY fixed with the right kind of silicone or dragonskin so that they can't be seen. (Trust me, I ding up my tail from time to time, fix it on my own, and nobody can tell anything- nothing to photoshop out)
CHLORINE WILL DAMAGE YOUR TAIL EVEN IF IT'S EXPENSIVE. Chlorine eats away at EVERYTHING so be sure to wash your tail with 1/4 baking soda or other alkaline substance to clear out the chlorine. Let it soak, and dry it properly. You should wash it right away.
TAILS CAN GET MOLDY. Even when you clean them and take good care of them. Sometimes, you cant get the mold out, but you can kill it. Vinegar is a great thing to use to kill mold, and stop it from spreading. How I clean mold when I get it: leave it soaking in vinegar for a few minutes, then use a toothbrush to gently scrub it away from the lining. I always try to dry my tail to prevent mold, but sometimes it can't be prevented.
Extra fins and dorsals are typically fragile regardless of what they're made of. They tend to be thinner, and are attached, so they have a higher chance of getting snagged on something. (I coat mine in a light film of vaseline or oil when I do photoshoots etc so they don't snag on anything, and I always tell kids not to pull on them)
Latex doesn't bond to silicone. So if you're ever attempting to fix your tail, don't put one on top of the other. It'll go all peely. However, if you're repairing the inside of your own neoprene+latex tail, you could use a silicone caulking to glue the inside of the fluke down.

Edit #2 more things to add!
MOST OF THE DAMAGE THAT HAPPENS TO TAILS, HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT THEM ON, TAKE THEM OFF, AND DON'T CLEAN THEM RIGHT AWAY. Some wear and tear is 100% normal, these are COSTUMES not solid prosthetic.Consider that for h20 and Splash each tail needed to be repaired after each swim, and sometimes there were multiple tails for multiple scenes. SO it's normal, even though you paid a lot of money, even though it's expensive materials, for tails to have wear and tear even after a few swims. It's all in how you maintain it, how you use it and wear, and how you're putting it on and off.

For more info, read my post about putting your tail on:
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5869-The-official-HOW-TO-PUT-ON-YOUR-MERMAID-TAIL-thread&p=84216#post84216

AniaR
01-19-2013, 03:17 PM
K, I tried like so many times to format that thing so it wasn't either alllll bunched up, or allll spread out, and it just wouldn't work. If an admin thinks they can do it be my guest lol

seagirls626
01-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks for posting this, Raina! It's really helpful! :D

Ashe
01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks Raina! I hope many new mers will see this and take your tips into consideration :) Even I have learned a few things!

Mermaid Allie
01-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Yeah this is great! I'm DEFINATELY putting an elastic waistband in my tail, and were putting Velcro at the ends! Thanks for the tips raina!

Winged Mermaid
01-19-2013, 08:02 PM
K, I tried like so many times to format that thing so it wasn't either alllll bunched up, or allll spread out, and it just wouldn't work. If an admin thinks they can do it be my guest lol

Funny story, I just spent half an hour fighting the bullet points on my new post XP I ended up just looking up how to type the point symbol (•) and just un-formatted everything and put those in instead :P The bullets in this have some weird spacing issues.. no idea what that's about! I went ahead and fixed it, becuase I know it must be driving you as nuts as my post was driving me, hahaha!

Excellent post, by the way! It can be hard to know what to expect and know what is "normal" and what isn't. I think this will clear up some misplaced expectations for sure!

Making this a sticky and putting it on some reference lists :)

AniaR
01-19-2013, 08:37 PM
woowhooo *high fins* I have a feeling it'll get added to

ButterflyVision
01-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks Raina for the post. Now I can know what to expect whenever I do get a tail. I shall pass on this knowledge to any other new mers. :)

New York Mermaid
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
LOL For me the biggest thing was its not easy getting into a tail the very first time or second time for that matter.. its like a dance as my fellow mers know especially those in the july mer meet up there was alot of pulling, sweating and breathing it was like giving birth (jv and shawn can vouch for me haha) after a few tries you get it down to an art..lol but still hard especially if you have a big butt like me .. :D

spottedcatfish
01-21-2013, 01:55 AM
Thanks Raina, now I know what to do with the tail I am working on, and also a future reference for what to expect if I get a tail. Which I plan to. :-)

Arella
01-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Yay thx! Very informative :)

Ariel-Starfish
01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks for posting this!! It's really useful!

drucilla
01-26-2013, 06:12 AM
Quick question about the full silcone tails weight. Will it weigh you down in the water, or be hard to swim in? I don't really feel like drowning... lol

Ashe
01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Nope! Silicone tails are nearly weightless in the water, as with most other tails :)

AniaR
01-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Quick question about the full silcone tails weight. Will it weigh you down in the water, or be hard to swim in? I don't really feel like drowning... lol

It depends on the tail, and the fluke. A heavy and thick tail can be tricky- because you can't bend your knees as easily, and it's been my experience in using both frequently, that it'll sink a little more than a lighter one. With a thinner tail you essentially have full range of motion to the degree you would have if you only wore a monofin. With a smaller fluke, it's easier to do turns and flips- but not as easy to pick up speed quickly, and get down deep quickly, and with a larger fluke (with a larger stiffer monofin) you can generally do speed and depth much better than the smaller one.

Having swam in both a thin silicone tail with a big fluke, and a thicker silicone tail with a small fluke, I can say, it really does depend on your tail. But if you're a person who has no problem floating when you're out of a tail, you shouldn't have any problem floating in a tail. It can be awkward swimming in a tail regardless of it's type if you've never done it before.

mermaid mandy117
02-02-2013, 07:53 PM
This is some great info! I am planning on buying my first tail this month and have decided to do kids parties ect..:)

Usagi
02-02-2013, 08:20 PM
So about the waistband thing..the waist of my tail is made from the bottom portion of the the wetsuit below:
It has a really thick seam, and actually kinda gives me muffin tops :P should I still expect the waist to open while swimming?

AniaR
02-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I can't really answer that for sure, but I do find from years of looking at other people's tails in action at some point the waist usually opens regardless unless their is an outside or inside belt. If it gives you a muffin top though there's a good chance it wont open at the waist easily. My tail from Jesse doesn't usually open unless I dive down.

courtneymermaid
02-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I do have a question for curiosity sake, do silicon tails still have the heel straps attached to the monofins? I was discussing this with my fiance and we couldn't come to an agreement haha!

Also! Fintastic post Raina! There is a lot of excellent information there! Well done! :D

AniaR
02-02-2013, 11:53 PM
it depends on the tail maker. My merbellas tail has heel pockets. (competitor) and so does my Jesse tail (foil) but I know tail makers will remove the straps if you don't want them. Personally, I'd have them kept there. It's hard to push a heavy tail if you feet aren't secure. I know a lot of people have complained in the past that it's very difficult to swim in MVD tails BECAUSE it's only a foot pocket and nothing comes up behind their heels so their feet always come out.

courtneymermaid
02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
That's what I was arguing and I just read your post out loud and we are all in agreement! Ha ha! Thank you for helping us settle that. I was curious as well though since I can't imagine it's easy squeezing in with the straps there in a silicone tail. I know I have a fun time wiggling my feet into my fin with the straps in my fabric tail. :P Gotta love it eh?

Thanks for replying so quick! :D

Thalassa
02-03-2013, 12:05 AM
I'm worried. One of the reasons I wanted a silicone tail was that I thought it wouldn't gap as badly at the waist as my neoprene/latex would (due to my butt/waist ratio). I asked Raven about it and she said it'd be okay...is the gap really bad? As long as it's not slipping down and opening a bunch so kids can see my bottom it's okay.

Mermaid Isabela
02-03-2013, 12:17 AM
I think a belt would help that, Thalassa. It should hide the gaping, or hold it in place don't you think?

Thalassa
02-03-2013, 12:32 AM
I have a decorative belt and a weight belt. They do hide it to and extent, but the gaping is rather bad. Before I added a drawstring to my tail, the tail would slip down and the belt would ride up so it no longer hid the gap. It also did very little to hold the tail closed. Since I added the drawstring it's been better, but I have no idea how to add a drawstring to a silicone tail so I really hope it's not as bad!

AniaR
02-03-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm worried. One of the reasons I wanted a silicone tail was that I thought it wouldn't gap as badly at the waist as my neoprene/latex would (due to my butt/waist ratio). I asked Raven about it and she said it'd be okay...is the gap really bad? As long as it's not slipping down and opening a bunch so kids can see my bottom it's okay.

Certainly not that bad at all. The thinner the tail is the more likely it'll be to gap because it's so easy to slide. If you get a normal thickness silicone tail you should be fine. Currently mine gaps a lot because I lost 10lbs and a few inches off my waist. I hide it with my belt.

Mermaid Danielle
02-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks for posting, Raina! This is really helpful!

Theta
02-09-2013, 12:09 PM
I have a silicone tail from Raven and it doesn't gap at all. If anything it's difficult for me to stick my fingers in the waist. However, I had it made a) to come up to my natural waist (I've got a huge butt and had problems with slipping in my other tail) and b) a little tight, to avoid gapping. I do have a muffin top with it, but I was so over the gapping in my Mertailor tail that I consider it the lesser of two evils. It is amaaaaaazing in the water- there's no drag at all.

AniaR
02-09-2013, 02:43 PM
^ there you go :D

MerCat
03-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks for posting Raina, this was very informative! I learned some things I didn't know :)

MermaidDiaries1
03-19-2013, 07:54 PM
great information! what's the best fabric tails out there(if you might know)? I'm on the verge of getting a tail and im super excited, but I want it to be good and last some time.

Mermaid_Aurora
03-21-2013, 02:42 AM
Very informative! I wish I checked here first, it would have saved me a lot of research time. I already knew everything posted here but it took me a few months to find all this out (I heavily research things beforehand) where I could have learned it all in a day had I checked here first xD

Mermaid Dottie
03-21-2013, 04:34 AM
You're the bomb!

Mertara
03-21-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm a new mer, thanks for the compilation of info!

MaskedNightingale
07-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Thank you so much for this Raina. I'm the sort of person that likes knowing what to expect sometimes and having a plan of action. :)

AniaR
07-17-2013, 08:57 PM
I meant to say I updated this a while back haha

AniaR
08-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Added some more stuff to the original post, also, I made this post about putting your tail on: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5869-The-official-HOW-TO-PUT-ON-YOUR-MERMAID-TAIL-thread&p=84216#post84216

TheRestless
09-08-2013, 03:34 PM
This post was super helpful, thank you!

AniaR
09-08-2013, 05:50 PM
glad to be of help :D

mermaidsoph
12-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks so much!!! I just bought a tail and this was very helpful!

Mermaid Tasia
12-17-2013, 01:13 AM
Thank you all for the posts! I have been worried about getting a tail because I have a big butt and narrow waist and I didn't want to worry about a tail gapping as bad as my jeans! My first tail is a fabric one that I made myself, and I used a youth monofin with rubber sheeting to make a fluke.

Does anyone know of ideas for monofins for people with little feet? I wear a US size 6 and went with the Finis Wave, which is actually a bit big (my toes come out of the toe holes and swim socks help a little, but eventually slip off. Even after tightening the straps, it just pushes my feet through the foot holes). Can a tail maker work with something like that or would I need to special order a custom monofin?

Winged Mermaid
12-17-2013, 05:36 AM
I wear a 5-7, but usually a 6 1/2 US. For water equipment sometimes even size 4's are way too big. For me a Wave with neoprene socks was good. I currently have the smallest size Finis competitor, which is waaaay too big, but with 2 pairs of 2mm neoprene socks fits well :) so that may be an option. Also the monofins in the official monofin thread have monofin makers listed over in Europe, and they have much more customizable fins. Wider choice of sizes as well as hardness and other specs :) Plus they're cheaper than the overpriced Finis Competitor! If you're looking for a floppier fin, the Merfin has kids and adult sizes so I'm sure you could find a small enough size! Good luck!

Merman Arion
12-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Since we are currently speaking of monofins, what is the exact specialty of each one of them? While reading in the forum, I heard of Finis Wave, Rapid, Foil, Competitor and the Merfin but I have no clue of which one is best for a performance silicone tail from Raven. I'm currently hesitating between the Merfin fluke and the Merbella fluke. If i take the Merfin fluke, i know that the answer is easy since it's gonna be the Merfin monofin inside but what about the Merbella fluke? Which monofin in the best for what i would like for my tail?

My dream tail would be floppy but sturdy enough so i can't hit my head with the fins while posing.

Since i'm a guy, some might suggest the competitor but in my opinion, it's too stiff for my taste :

16407 16408

I found this photo of Mermaid Ayla where her fluke looks great while posing (although i'm aware she's using the metal poll)
I think it's perfect but i have no idea of which monofin is inside.

I like the flexibility of the Merfin, the way it bends, it's floppy enough but is it a fluke for a merman tail? I wonder.

16409 16410 16412

Which monofin would be a wise choice for my first silicone tail? I want to get something that has power but also a nice flow-like feel to it when i swim. Until now, i have been swimming only with a plastic monofin (Magictail).
I would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Mermaid Oshun
12-17-2013, 09:04 AM
I have made an observation between reading people's reviews, talking with other tail makers, and talking with friends on here. I think some people don't always have the correct expectations for their first tails. Regardless of the tail type. If you've never used a tail before, seen one in person, or worn one, you may not know what to expect! I was thinking it would be nice to start a thread where those of us who have had multiple tails can share their experiences. I also think this might help people who are ordering their first tails have more realistic expectations. I've noticed, and I think a few others have as well, that some complaints being voiced are actually what's standard currently in the tail making community. There are some things that tail makers just don't have a solution for yet.

So I'm going to share what I know, I'd love you to share what you know. Perhaps we can edit it all into a nice list to be stickied, and add it as a Tail Flip article!

I've owned and used a fabric tail, a neoprene/latex (alex) tail, and 2 silicone tails. I've talked to tail makers, and I've looked at my own PERSONAL experiences. Here's what I've learned:

•Most tails take time to get on until you get used to them and figure them out. Some tails have zippers, many don't. But if you've never put a tail on before even if it's fabric or silicone, it can take a bit to learn the ropes! Fabric tails and neoprene tails are easier to put on dry than silicone tails. Thicker tails are harder to roll down than thinner tails. Lubrication can help so long as it's not something that will degrade your tail.

•If you've never worn a monofin before, they can be uncomfortable. Different monofins will feel differently. Some have straps some have pockets. It can take time to learn to wear and swim in a monofin correctly.

•Most tails have seams, some tail makers have just worked out better ways to hide them. Many of the higher quality silicone tails have worked out ways so that you can only see seams up close. Many fabric tail makers add fringes or use sequins to hide seams. Point being, if two piece of materials are being put together- there will be a seam somewhere. So expect to see one unless you're specifically told you wont.

•Unless you have an elastic waistband put into your tail (like Hannas) regardless of the tail type, in some situations (or in all situations depending on your tail) you WILL get drag, which WILL pull open your waist. Many mers compensate for this by wearing belts. However, it's nearly impossible to keep air/water from travelling into your tail through the waist line. In the behind the scenes for Splash the tail makers explained that the way they achieved such a realistic effect with Madison's tail (no waist line, no knees, no wrinkles etc) was to shrink wrap her legs in plastic. It doesn't mean your tail doesn't "fit". The majority of materials mermaid tails are made out of have some percentage of stretch. Silicone stretches, latex stretches, fabric stretches, neoprene stretches.

•In that same line, most tails will wrinkle in some places. Why? Because the material stretches, and because we bend. The most common places for winkles are around the knee, and the ankles. If a tail is skin tight, it's still NOT skin, it's common to get wrinkles there. Some tail makers compensate by making those areas extra tight. It may give a good look, but can make it difficult to swim and move. Also tricky to get on (many have to reach down to pull monofin straps up when putting a tail on) It's been my personal experience that the thinner the material the likelier it is to wrinkle in those spots. My merbellas tail fit like a glove when I first got it. But it's thin. It still would wrinkle from time to time in those areas. My Jesse tail is super thick. it wont wrinkle as much, only in certain situations, but will still get a wrinkle in those spots. THE BEST WAY TO KEEP WRINKLES AWAY is to POINT YOUR TOES and keep your legs flexed. This is how so many mers achieve the wrinkle free look when posing for a photo. If I do that with my legs, I will have no wrinkles at all. You can also train yourself to swim and keep your legs straight behind you. I've lost weight now, so my merbellas tail is baggier (I'm saving up to have it taken in and extra fins added etc) a good trick for that sort of situation that I found in my experience works with ALL tail types, is to wear tights underneath. It gives the material something more tactile to grip to, reduces the amount of slipping and wrinkling, and can flesh out the tail and take away the costumed look. Point is, some wrinkling is normal, it doesn't mean your measurements are wrong.

•Measurements! Another area that is always causing headaches. Rule of thumb: if you aren't measuring to at least your belly button or above it, you'll end up with a low rise tail. For some people, it can work, for others, it wont cover their bum! If you're concerned about your tail not covering your butt, ask the tail maker the best way to measure, and measure several times. Generally the response I got from asking many tail makers is that if you send them measurements that are below your belly button- that thing will not cover your bum.

•Several tail makers use well hidden drainage holes. Some fabric/neoprene ones even keep hidden zippers or velcro. It's to help water escape, or help air move through to dry the tail. It does not mean your tail is damaged. Hannah's thread shows how her tail has an open fluke that is kept zippered. The german tail maker and many other fabric tail makers also have open end fluke designs. Several silicone tail makers that I speak to have drainage holes or slits.

•If your silicone or latex is NOT tinted, paint will chip off. If you're going for a cheaper tail and opt to not have the materials tinted, your paint is only sitting on a clear surface and will chip/scuff.

•With painting and tinting- lighter colours take longer and many more layers to set. This can delay tail production times.

•Silicone and latex and their tin cures can take longer to cure in cold or wet weather. This can delay tail production times.

•Most tail makers will say their tail's are neutral buoyancy or as close to neutral as can be. I've shown all my tails to my local diveshop and they actually believe they're all positively buoyant - though not by much. For some people, they can sink in a tail. For others, we can't (like me), That doesn't always mean your tail was poorly made or has problems. Some people just don't sink very well. If you can't sink when you swim normally, you may find investing in a weight belt will help you sink in a tail. This is not always the case, especially if your tail is trapping air in the fluke, (which can lead to you floating up tail first or butt first) but it's the general rule of thumb that if you can't sink without a tail you will likely still find it hard to sink with one.

•Silicone is HEAVY. Unless you have a tail that's partially silicone, or made very thin, expect it to be heavy.

•In that same thought, it can be hard to lift the fluke of a silicone tail. If you have a smaller monofin that doesn't fill the whole fluke, you wont be able to get it to stand straight up on it's own like mine does in my avatar.

EDIT:

A few more to add!

Tails are not invincible. No tail maker claims they are. Even a super expensive silicone tail will wear out over time, EVEN when you take good care of it. Typical things that can happen with silicone are minor holes and tears from pulling it on. They can be EASILY fixed with the right kind of silicone or dragonskin so that they can't be seen. (Trust me, I ding up my tail from time to time, fix it on my own, and nobody can tell anything- nothing to photoshop out)
CHLORINE WILL DAMAGE YOUR TAIL EVEN IF IT'S EXPENSIVE. Chlorine eats away at EVERYTHING so be sure to wash your tail with 1/4 baking soda or other alkaline substance to clear out the chlorine. Let it soak, and dry it properly. You should wash it right away.
TAILS CAN GET MOLDY. Even when you clean them and take good care of them. Sometimes, you cant get the mold out, but you can kill it. Vinegar is a great thing to use to kill mold, and stop it from spreading. How I clean mold when I get it: leave it soaking in vinegar for a few minutes, then use a toothbrush to gently scrub it away from the lining. I always try to dry my tail to prevent mold, but sometimes it can't be prevented.
Extra fins and dorsals are typically fragile regardless of what they're made of. They tend to be thinner, and are attached, so they have a higher chance of getting snagged on something. (I coat mine in a light film of vaseline or oil when I do photoshoots etc so they don't snag on anything, and I always tell kids not to pull on them)
Latex doesn't bond to silicone. So if you're ever attempting to fix your tail, don't put one on top of the other. It'll go all peely. However, if you're repairing the inside of your own neoprene+latex tail, you could use a silicone caulking to glue the inside of the fluke down.

Edit #2 more things to add!
MOST OF THE DAMAGE THAT HAPPENS TO TAILS, HAPPENS WHEN YOU PUT THEM ON, TAKE THEM OFF, AND DON'T CLEAN THEM RIGHT AWAY. Some wear and tear is 100% normal, these are COSTUMES not solid prosthetic.Consider that for h20 and Splash each tail needed to be repaired after each swim, and sometimes there were multiple tails for multiple scenes. SO it's normal, even though you paid a lot of money, even though it's expensive materials, for tails to have wear and tear even after a few swims. It's all in how you maintain it, how you use it and wear, and how you're putting it on and off.

For more info, read my post about putting your tail on:
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5869-The-official-HOW-TO-PUT-ON-YOUR-MERMAID-TAIL-thread&p=84216#post84216
this is a GREAT POST!

MerEmma
12-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Ayla either has a cut competitor or a Finis Foil, I believe it's a Foil but we might need Ayla to confirm that. :P

Also, Doreen Virtue has a competitor in her MerFin fluke so that's also an option!
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p206x206/1151006_578040768918674_1156278087_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/553271_513623835360368_390462840_n.jpg
This link is where she says so: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=461172173938868&set=pb.178589958863759.-2207520000.1387289022.&type=3&theater

As someone with a MerFin...I love mine. It's super floppy, the shape looks amazing in the water, (I swim with it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeD-QT5pQzk ) and it propels me fast. Someone in the Oceanika thread said they considered it an eight compared to a competitor if it was a ten. There's also size comparison pictures in that thread, the one by Aquatarian, so totally go and read that one up.

The only only downside with the MerFin is that the footpockets are damn painful. I wear spandex socks with them every time I swim and that works fine to prevent it, but I can barely walk when I get out if I don't have something to protect my feet. It's not that big of a deal since spandex is enough to prevent them, but it's definitely something to keep in mind (I have neoprene socks under the tree now though since they will last longer).

If you want the Merbella shape but slightly more floppiness, you could consider one of the European monofin makers. LeaderFins and some others too. The Soft fin is slightly softer than the Finis Competitor, so you could check out Mermaid Fenecia's videos since that's what she has. As far as I know Raven hasn't made a tail with one but they're exactly the same size as the competitor so I don't see why she couldn't or wouldn't.

Really I'd say maybe to just draw out the fluke shapes, each of them, and watch a lot of videos swimming with your choices to figure out what you want. Good luck! <3

Mermaid Oshun
12-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Merman Arion I don't know how big your feet are but Merfins only go up to women's size 8 or men's size 6 (39 euro)

MerEmma
12-17-2013, 11:52 AM
With the sizing for a MerFin, just measure your foot. With how all the different sizes change from country to country it's best to measure length and use the chart to figure out if it will fit.

Yulia
12-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I haven't seen a merman in a merfin fluke, but hey, I think it's all about the coloring.
If the colors fit you, the fluke fits you.

MerEmma
12-17-2013, 02:29 PM
I haven't either but honestly I feel like the shape is pretty gender neutral when put in a tail.

AniaR
12-17-2013, 08:46 PM
foil= floppy harder to lift tail, competitor= strong, easier to lift, but very big, bulky., Merfin= great look, but trickier to swim in.

Raven has made mermen tails but the clients havent seemed to have sent her photos or anything yet

Merman Arion
12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
foil= floppy harder to lift tail, competitor= strong, easier to lift, but very big, bulky., Merfin= great look, but trickier to swim in.

Raven has made mermen tails but the clients havent seemed to have sent her photos or anything yet

Interesting. Thanks for your input, Raina.
For the Merfin, what did you mean by "trickier to swim in" ? :thinks:

MerEmma
12-17-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't really find the MerFin tricky to swim with at all...it's very floppy and not rigid at all, but it still has a really good push to it. It's really pretty effortless to swim with, deep dolphin kick or not.

Elle
12-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Merfin can just be awkward at times because of how it flexes, you can bend it the middle vertically. and the tips bend as well while you're swimming, if you aren't used to a monofin or fins in general, it could be a bit more work the first few swims.

Doreen's tail is actually a competitor, cut into the shape of a merfin. So different again

Fifi Tigg
12-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Emily's tail that I made has a Merfin inside and she swims in it effortlessly and out swims the family by miles LOL :) I also own the largest Merfin they have and I'm a size 8 Australian and its very, very tight! If you have a size 7 Australian shoe size it would fit perfectly :) :)

AniaR
12-18-2013, 12:11 AM
You'd have to compare merfin to competitor. A harder monofin will always be easier.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Merman Arion
12-18-2013, 04:20 AM
As a man, i have big feet, i'm a 9.5 (US Size). I guess the Merfin is out? Or i can ask a custom merfin for me?

I don't mind getting the competitor. I guess i'm gonna have to pay for this upgrade but would it be all right to cut it a little so the fins could be more floppy?
That's what happened with mermaid Ayla, right? If i'm not mistaken.

Elle
12-18-2013, 04:28 AM
Emily's tail that I made has a Merfin inside and she swims in it effortlessly and out swims the family by miles LOL :) I also own the largest Merfin they have and I'm a size 8 Australian and its very, very tight! If you have a size 7 Australian shoe size it would fit perfectly :) :)

I have their largest size and I'm a size 9. I cut the toe ends so my big toe has room! :D

MerEmma
12-18-2013, 08:15 AM
You'd have to compare merfin to competitor. A harder monofin will always be easier.

I'm still not sure if I follow. Believe me, I'm all for the competitor. But I don't understand how a stiffer monofin will be easier. Selene got hers and it was painful for her at first, stiffer = harder to swim with. Do you mean harder to go fast with? I just don't get it. Floppier should be easier to swim with than stiff, hands down.

Mermaid Oshun
12-18-2013, 10:17 AM
I think they're saying its like a peddle that doesnt require much movement on your part to move it with a stiff one. A soft fin requires you move more to get it to follow all the way through. BUT you need more strength to push that hard fin and all the water. It boils down just to preference imo. Stiff with flowy ends is what I did for Yulia so it is hard but will look really flowy and wiggly on those long tips.

AniaR
12-18-2013, 10:40 AM
A harder material monofin will always propel better. Finis will tell you as much and you can read and watch their comparison stats. Its why competitor is far safer than foil for use in ocean and why most recreational Monofins are not suggested for ocean use

Anahita
12-19-2013, 10:39 PM
I have their largest size and I'm a size 9. I cut the toe ends so my big toe has room! :D

He's a size 9.5 men's.... that's like a size 11.5 women's. I don't think toe-holes will do the trick for him.

Arion, I would just ask and see if you can get the Merbella fluke made with a rapid or cut-down competitor maybe? Seems like that would give you the best chance at "floppy" while still being large enough for your feet.

Elle
12-19-2013, 10:43 PM
He's a size 9.5 men's.... that's like a size 11.5 women's. I don't think toe-holes will do the trick for him.

Arion, I would just ask and see if you can get the Merbella fluke made with a rapid or cut-down competitor maybe? Seems like that would give you the best chance at "floppy" while still being large enough for your feet.

Arion's post wasn't there when I was typing :) but yes, an actually Merfin would be out of the question, unless she actually gets around to making adult sizes (they are actually made for children)
A competitor can be cut to look like a Merfin though. That seems to be what Raven has done with her tails that have that fluke shape.

Anahita
12-20-2013, 12:55 AM
I think his thing was he likes the flop rather than just the shape. So the competitor in the Merfin shape pretty much gives him the same problem as the competitor in the Merbella fluke. Not enough flop.

Elle
12-20-2013, 02:00 AM
just extend the fluke past the monofin....flop achieved :)

Pascal21M
01-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Im not exactl sure which tail i should take latex or silicone? Can you help me?

Mermaid Dottie
02-17-2014, 05:37 PM
I just sent a link to this thread to my hubby. Guess who gets to train a merman!
<-This Girl!!!

Mermaid Jaffa
02-17-2014, 06:38 PM
I haven't received mine yet. Can't wait to swim in it once I finish practicing with my merfin.

I have grand ideas to modify the tail, like adding two long flowy bits to the tips of the monofin skin. Some light fabric to hide the ankle bump and a few sequins here n there for a bit of sparkle.

Mermaid Muir
03-25-2014, 11:27 PM
Thanks for posting this! This gives a nice idea of what to expect!

AniaR
04-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Pro tips: if you request a tail be cast thinner it'll be more susceptible to damage. Just like if you use your tail for something other than mermaiding. Like acrobatics or fire spinning etc.

Mermaid Jaffa
04-09-2014, 12:14 AM
What to expect with your first tail...

I expected high pitched screeching, finger pointing and childish cries of "MERMAID! MERMAID!"

I was all prepared to deal with the kids and the questions since it was a crowded Sunday afternoon...

Got there, had a look around, chickened out, and went to hide it the other end of the swimming pool. Put on my tail as fast as possible and flopped in!

I did swim by three kids who practicing leaping into the lane, they stared open mouthed.

My question is, how do you deal with the staring? I don't know if I can get used to that.

AnnaAbyss
04-09-2014, 11:26 PM
^ Sounds like something I'd do! xD That's one thing that scares me from getting a tail; being stared at. I hate it enough already when it does happen.
Also Raina, this is a really informative thread. Thank you.~ :D

Mertara
04-10-2014, 09:15 AM
you will get used to being stared at. I take it as a compliment!

Rivertee
05-09-2014, 01:02 AM
Wow super thanks to everyone posting in here. I've literally got a small pod of new mers and we're all beginning our journey together. This really helps, the biggest problem is affordable monofins that will give good propulsion without injuring ourselves. I've swam with flippers for years but never a monofin.

Mermaid Luciana
12-11-2014, 06:11 PM

T_T I'm pretty sure chlorine put a small hole in the first tail I made (100% spandex), considering I've always taken extra special care of it, I'm pretty sure this is how this happened

Mermaid Jaffa
12-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Well I got used to the staring and the screaming.

As for holes in tails, that's why I have a couple of fabric tails.

Expect to be grabbed by your tail by curious kids who follow you around then stop to chat. I had two girls two weeks ago, followed me when I swam away as it was a crowded corner of the lane, I was about safety, didn't want to accidently hit anyone with my fin. They followed me saying how cool it was, asked me what it was made of, what's inside etc. Then grabbed my fluke as I flapped it at them, lifting it saying how heavy it was, one said it was soft, other one said it was hard etc.

Expect kids even if you don't like them.

Mermaid Luciana
12-14-2014, 12:25 PM
What to expect with your first tail...

I expected high pitched screeching, finger pointing and childish cries of "MERMAID! MERMAID!"

I was all prepared to deal with the kids and the questions since it was a crowded Sunday afternoon...

Got there, had a look around, chickened out, and went to hide it the other end of the swimming pool. Put on my tail as fast as possible and flopped in!

I did swim by three kids who practicing leaping into the lane, they stared open mouthed.

My question is, how do you deal with the staring? I don't know if I can get used to that.

Swim further under water and/or just smile and wave :P Stared at/screamed at/etc... is part of the thing that just comes with being an entertainer.

Mermaid Wesley
12-14-2014, 12:39 PM
If you're in public, at a beach or event: Expect obnoxious teenage boys. Expect grown ass men acting like idiots, and expect the same 3 jokes over and over and over and over. Expect kids to be a little afraid sometimes. Expect MERCILESS INTERROGATION BY SMALL CHILDREN. Expect 10 million photos. But despite the annoyances, expect to make a few kids believe in magic for a while, and expect to have fun. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PearlieMae
12-14-2014, 12:51 PM
just imagine what it must be like for a Disney performer! Can you imagine being Snow White for a day? It's all in good fun. Obnoxious grown people are probably the worst, in my opinion. But when people stare, stare back! Smile...wave...smile some more! Enjoy yourself! Life is far too short not to BE the mer you know you are!

MermaidShannon
12-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Can someone link me to the thread about how to smash yourself into a tail. My mvd tail is here and it matches my measurents but I can't cram in

Mermaid Kelda
12-26-2014, 12:12 PM
http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5869-The-official-HOW-TO-PUT-ON-YOUR-MERMAID-TAIL-thread

There you go :)

MermaidShannon
01-15-2015, 12:43 PM
I almost died trying to squeeze into that tail. It happened but it wasn't comfortable. I had acrylic nails too and I was so afraid I would punch through the tail.

Mermaid Alea
01-21-2015, 11:49 PM
Hmm the hardest thing for me will be getting used to kids wanting to talk to me...I don't like kids. :rolleyes:

I love this thread...And all the other helpful threads on this site.:)

Mermaid Jaffa
01-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Hmm the hardest thing for me will be getting used to kids wanting to talk to me...I don't like kids. :rolleyes:

I love this thread...And all the other helpful threads on this site.:)

Put on your "angry face" and they'll never bother you!

I remembered something when I was reading the other thread...

If you've never worn a tail before, even a simple fabric one, it'll feel VERY heavy to swim in.

I know because the first time I put on my tail, I felt like the tail was going to drown me! Luckily, I had my starts in a very shallow pool, 1.2 m depth, waist deep, but it was still pretty scary as I had not swam in such a thing before, let alone a monofin.

I was having heart palpitations and felt like vomiting, and the fear not just of going under water, but the fear of being the first mer to drown in their tail in a public place... Was most terrifying and embarrassing at the same time!

After a few months of surface thrashings and epic battles of buoyancy fights, I am glad to say I love the deep end and my tails!

MermaidShannon
03-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Don't be dickish to kids they just want to believe you're magical. Be nice suck it up and then complain on the drama thread. What if santa clause gave you resting bitch face. Poor kid lol

Mermaid Alea
03-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Just because I don't like kids doesn't mean I am going to be mean to them. :confused: I have been a camp counselor before and had to be in charge of the little girls one year. They were okay and I am always nice to kids, but that doesn't mean I like them.

I never liked seeing Santa Clause at the mall I always cried.

Mermaid Jaffa
03-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Don't be dickish to kids they just want to believe you're magical. Be nice suck it up and then complain on the drama thread. What if santa clause gave you resting bitch face. Poor kid lol
LOL! Resting bitch face!!!

I'm usually nice when kids come to talk to me, its the ones that barge into my lane (mostly boys) and then proceed to yell out "There's a mermaid in here!" to which I tell them to shut up and piss off, I'm trying to exercise! Only happens during school holidays though, most swims its really quiet and I get nice compliments even from young boys!

MermaidShannon
03-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Oh I understand

MermaidShannon
03-05-2015, 08:32 PM
I get it I'm scared of clowns

Mary Marine
03-05-2015, 09:58 PM
What if santa clause gave you resting bitch face.

Immediately this came to mind:

Scary faces aside, whenever I've had kids come into my lap lane while tail swimming the lifeguards always yelled at them to move before I even have a chance to say anything.

But back on topic: my first tail swim felt really natural, but I'd been practicing with my monofin for a couple months already, and dolphin kicking in regular swim fins for a few more months before that. Swimming in regular fins with my legs together helped me get into the habit without the danger of having my feet or legs constricted. Once I was comfortable with that and didn't have the urge to separate my legs I used my monofin. By the time I got my tail I was more comfortable dolphin kicking in a monofin than swimming any other way.

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-16-2015, 07:47 AM
What do the mers do that have larger bottoms and flat stomachs? How do you prevent sagging from happening with the tail from the back to the bottom?

Thank you.

MermaidShannon
03-16-2015, 11:14 AM
You have to buy a tail that was custom fit then use a belt. I have a big badonkadonk and a flat tummy

Princess Pearl
03-16-2015, 01:57 PM
It also depends on what your tail is made of. If you have a fabric tail, you can see an elastic into the waistband.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winged Mermaid
03-16-2015, 04:34 PM
What do the mers do that have larger bottoms and flat stomachs? How do you prevent sagging from happening with the tail from the back to the bottom?

Thank you.

Gapping at the waist is one of the biggest issues with tails. Many just use a belt to conceal it. But there are some ways to get around it. Fabic, use elastic; neoprene use a zipper or a elastic belt (with clasp); silicone tails can have a fitted waist, it just takes more effort to get into the tail getting it past your thighs

Kishiko
03-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Put on your "angry face" and they'll never bother you!

I remembered something when I was reading the other thread...

If you've never worn a tail before, even a simple fabric one, it'll feel VERY heavy to swim in.

I know because the first time I put on my tail, I felt like the tail was going to drown me! Luckily, I had my starts in a very shallow pool, 1.2 m depth, waist deep, but it was still pretty scary as I had not swam in such a thing before, let alone a monofin.

I was having heart palpitations and felt like vomiting, and the fear not just of going under water, but the fear of being the first mer to drown in their tail in a public place... Was most terrifying and embarrassing at the same time!

After a few months of surface thrashings and epic battles of buoyancy fights, I am glad to say I love the deep end and my tails!

But back on topic: my first tail swim felt really natural, but I'd been practicing with my monofin for a couple months already, and dolphin kicking in regular swim fins for a few more months before that. Swimming in regular fins with my legs together helped me get into the habit without the danger of having my feet or legs constricted. Once I was comfortable with that and didn't have the urge to separate my legs I used my monofin. By the time I got my tail I was more comfortable dolphin kicking in a monofin than swimming any other way.

*jumped into deep end first time out having only practiced once with monofin*

Was I not supposed to do that? :thinks:

AniaR
03-16-2015, 05:01 PM
I find waists often gape when you sit/are dry but not so much when you swim!

Merman Arion
03-16-2015, 05:04 PM
I find waists often gape when you sit/are dry but not so much when you swim!

I agree with Raina :thumbs-up:
I wear a thong so that the silicone stick to the skin of my big butt and voilà! It doesn't gap at all, or very slightly it's barely there.

Mermaid Corabelle
03-16-2015, 05:34 PM
Whew! A thong? Dang Arion lol glad you were able to find a solution :)

I'm about to get my first tail this summer from Sirenalia. I wasn't aware silicone as a material was sticky.. I just know from reading a whole lot that it's heavy and stretchy.

Merman Arion
03-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Whew! A thong? Dang Arion lol glad you were able to find a solution :)

I'm about to get my first tail this summer from Sirenalia. I wasn't aware silicone as a material was sticky.. I just know from reading a whole lot that it's heavy and stretchy.

Obviously, silicone don't stick to swim trunks so a gap is to be expected unless you wear a belt :)

AniaR
03-16-2015, 06:07 PM
I find a thong helps too

Merman Arion
03-16-2015, 06:20 PM
I find a thong helps too

And I'm just gonna post this here ;)

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0d/0dc235785bea89afac26351128abffe7471e03594dee446672 2feeca3351188d.jpg

Fun123joker
03-16-2015, 06:39 PM
i dont like thongs they give me wedgies (i may or may not have a bubble butt)
i dont like kids cu sometime i just wanna be alone and once i be nice to them i cant shake them off and the parents leave the responsibility to me when they see that.

when i got my first monofin i learned when you get a new one just wear it around the house. you gonna bindge watch somthing on your couch all day? wear your monofin to get use to it. its not like you're gonna get off the couch or somthing

Merman Arion
03-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Really?? I find them comfortable and really useful for swimming with a silicone tail.

Of course, I got some looks when I was wearing one in one of my last public swims in a pool but I didn't bother much. I wear my thong underneath the swim trunks I use and once I'm ready to transform into a merman, I take it off (the swim trunks, not the thong lol!). Then I sit on my towel, start lubbing my legs and then I put one foot after another inside my tail. Even though some kids were watching, nobody had a problem with that, not even the lifeguards.

It's not like I was showing off my bubble butt on purpose :rolleyes:

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-16-2015, 07:37 PM
I am gathering you would need to be somewhere private in order to put your tail on so no one would see your thong *shifty eyes*

That's the best idea ever! Thanks Arion and Raina.

I'll make sure that I get mine super suctioned around the waist and even a blended waist so if does gape it won't be so bad.

Thank you everyone :)

A little pun for eveyone ;)

Anahita
03-16-2015, 11:38 PM
So, theoretically, going commando in a silicone tail would help the tail fit better, right?

Lol. I'm sorry, I stepped over the line there.

But I don't wear bottoms under my tail (I'm good at "deck changing" from having done waterpolo, so I've never flashed anyone by downstairs on accident... my top, now that's a different story, lol) because they leave a "line" (since my tail is only fabric right now). I mean, I wouldn't do it with a thin, single layer spandex tail, but since there's three layers on my tail (the top one being this stretch crushed panne stuff I got at joanns on sale, so it's pretty thick). So I guess I was wondering if this would be a beneficial habit I could continue with after I finished the silicone one, or a bad idea.

Mermaid Wesley
03-16-2015, 11:51 PM
Might as well try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merman Arion
03-17-2015, 03:34 AM
So, theoretically, going commando in a silicone tail would help the tail fit better, right?

But I don't wear bottoms under my tail (I'm good at "deck changing" from having done waterpolo, so I've never flashed anyone by downstairs on accident... my top, now that's a different story, lol) because they leave a "line" (since my tail is only fabric right now). I mean, I wouldn't do it with a thin, single layer spandex tail, but since there's three layers on my tail (the top one being this stretch crushed panne stuff I got at joanns on sale, so it's pretty thick). So I guess I was wondering if this would be a beneficial habit I could continue with after I finished the silicone one, or a bad idea.

If we can't see through the fabric, I don't see why not :)

OceanWhisper
03-17-2015, 03:52 AM

another idea is to go with underwear, but wear a fishing net belt or something? It would help cover the vpl

Edit: I now see that's already been mentioned.. oh well. Belts are good though :)

Mer-Crazy
03-17-2015, 04:01 AM

I've always wondered if anyone's worn a tail naked. Obviously you'd have to find a very private place to put it on or be at a home pool or something like that. But I always wondered how it felt...

Actually I just realised I have a swimmer bottom that unties at the sides. I could very easily just untie that once the tail is on and slip it off... I know what I'm doing when I get my new tail :D Then there's just the matter of getting it back on...

Mermaid Jaffa
03-17-2015, 04:11 AM
I am having a funny image of Arion lubing up his butt cheeks to squeeze into his tail...

OceanWhisper
03-17-2015, 04:15 AM
Omg guys >.<

Mermaid Jaffa
03-17-2015, 04:17 AM
Omg guys >.<

Have you seen Arion's butt cheeks?

Hubba hubba!

Merman Arion
03-17-2015, 04:30 AM
Have you seen Arion's butt cheeks?

Hubba hubba!

LOL :lol ^: :lol:

I'm just gonna leave this here then :p

And by the way, Oprah approves ;)

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2nd_to_last.gif

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/tumblr_inline_mv3h1phZqR1rfek0w.gif

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/tumblr_nhxf6kx4kr1u1xbygo2_500.gif

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/tumblr_mqv4826D0V1ry4q0lo1_500.gif

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Oprah-Gif.gif

Anahita
03-17-2015, 04:40 AM
LOL :lol ^: :lol:

I'm just gonna leave this here then :p

And by the way, Oprah approves ;)

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2nd_to_last.gif

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/tumblr_inline_mv3h1phZqR1rfek0w.gif

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/tumblr_nhxf6kx4kr1u1xbygo2_500.gif

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/tumblr_mqv4826D0V1ry4q0lo1_500.gif

http://str8upgayporn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Oprah-Gif.gif

I'm just sad my butt's never going to look that good. But, on the plus side, you are sharing it with us, so, that's definitely a perk. (pun partially intended)

Merfin_Aurora_Oceania
03-17-2015, 05:10 AM
That's a great idea Selene, now I'm on the hunt for side ties bikini thongs *search*

Geez there needs to be some optional censors for covering pictures or at least a warning! Still a cracker ;) No pun intended.

All I was asking was how to fix the gaping and its totally turned it something wild now! Oh geeeeez *covers eyes*

I've always wondered if anyone's worn a tail naked. Obviously you'd have to find a very private place to put it on or be at a home pool or something like that. But I always wondered how it felt...

Actually I just realised I have a swimmer bottom that unties at the sides. I could very easily just untie that once the tail is on and slip it off... I know what I'm doing when I get my new tail :D Then there's just the matter of getting it back on...

Mermaid Jaffa
03-17-2015, 05:16 AM
There it is again!
HUBBA HUBBA!!!

OceanWhisper
03-17-2015, 05:23 AM
once again, omg.

Merman Arion
03-17-2015, 06:00 AM
That's a great idea Selene, now I'm on the hunt for side ties bikini thongs *search*

Geez there needs to be some optional censors for covering pictures or at least a warning! Still a cracker ;) No pun intended.

All I was asking was how to fix the gaping and its totally turned it something wild now! Oh geeeeez *covers eyes*

Well, at least, I got you smiling. You will be in a good mood for the whole day hehe ;)

Now that I did my part, I shall leave to work.

Have a nice day everyone (or evening, that works well too.)

:mermaid kiss:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-08/21/18/enhanced/webdr05/anigif_enhanced-5421-1408659233-6.gif

Mermaid Cataleya
01-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Can you please explain to me further more in detail about the cleaning

Is it 1/4 cup baking soda to how much water does it soak in? and is this amount Ok for spandex fabric tails? and how do you go about washing them after the soaking, how long do they soak for.

the part below is what I am talking about.

"A few more to add!

Latex doesn't bond to silicone. So if you're ever attempting to fix your tail, don't put one on top of the other. It'll go all peely. However, if you're repairing the inside of your own neoprene+latex tail, you could use a silicone caulking to glue the inside of the fluke down."

AniaR
01-07-2016, 05:18 PM
it's better to look up cleaning instructions for whatever fabric yours is made out of. if it's spandex just google "how to clean spandex"

Mermaid Jaffa
01-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Can you please explain to me further more in detail about the cleaning

Is it 1/4 cup baking soda to how much water does it soak in? and is this amount Ok for spandex fabric tails? and how do you go about washing them after the soaking, how long do they soak for.

the part below is what I am talking about.

"A few more to add!

Latex doesn't bond to silicone. So if you're ever attempting to fix your tail, don't put one on top of the other. It'll go all peely. However, if you're repairing the inside of your own neoprene+latex tail, you could use a silicone caulking to glue the inside of the fluke down."

I soak my tails in wetsuit wash, then rinse thoroughly and dry in shade.

TheSaltySiren
07-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Okay I have a question. There is a ton of info about putting your tail on, but what about taking it off? Fabric, silicone, etc?

Mermaid Whisper
07-09-2016, 02:43 PM
^^ With my fabric tail, I roll down (or push down, if it's wet) the fabric, then take off the monofin because I can now see my feet. With Fin Fun tails, you can actually push down with one foot and get the other free (in the monofin), then do the same for the other foot, and then kick out of the tail, but that's for underwater situations, usually.

Dame Melusine
07-09-2016, 05:52 PM
I prefer unhooking my foot straps with my ankles first, then wiggling out of my tail and pushing it off at the same time. It is really worth it to regularly practice removing your tail in the water as quickly as possible, so in case of emergency you know what to do and what to expect. I will actually go to the bottom of the deep end to practice this. This is feasible with fabric and neoprene tails, ' however I haven't had the chance to try with a full silicone tail.

TheSaltySiren
07-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Awesome, thanks for the tips. Someone should make a video about it, and for silicone tails as they seem be the trickiest.

Teeny
03-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Thanks for making this thread! I'm getting my first tail soon so it's very helpful.

Mermaid_Auquita_123
10-04-2017, 10:48 AM
Thank u to who ever made this post I am trying to save up for my first silicone tail this really helps

Tiffany Wong
02-22-2019, 05:18 AM
Bumppp

AniaR
02-22-2019, 02:56 PM
lol this post is 6 years old folks