PDA

View Full Version : Tall Ships 2013

Ayla of Duluth
01-20-2013, 01:32 AM
So on July 24th through the 30th, Duluth MN is having an event called the Tall Ships 2013, where a ton of huge pirate looking ships come and dock in the harbor and you can take tours on them and even go out sailing on them. Its a huge event where people come from all over the place to enjoy the festivities. Pirate music, artisan crafts, sales everywhere, rum, and the like. General piratey things.

Anyways, a little while ago I got an email from a fellow Minnesotan mermaid, and she was interested in coming up for the event. There is a TON of cool things to do here besides the tall ships. We have awesome beaches for photo shoots and plenty of places to swim, so I was just curious to see if anyone would be willing to take the journey up here to be mermaids with us. Her and I were going to get a motel room at the Radisson which is only a few blocks away from all the festivities, it features a pool, hot tub, and sauna, and a top floor spinning restaurant. Very cheap rooms for such a lovely hotel, I'd be willing to pitch in a bunch of money if anyone wanted to come up here and stay a night or two.

I figured this might be the perfect opportunity to arrange a huge meetup, not just for the mermaids in Minnesota, [there aren't many] but for anyone who was willing to come up here. There is a ton of other stuff to do, Duluth is a tourist based city so there are lots of unique shops and activities to do. And everything is within walking distance of itself. If anyone is maybe considering coming up for a visit, it would give me plenty of time to arrange a wonderful meetup for all of us. Some things I was thinking we could do:

-Of course, swim at the motel and enjoy the top floor rotating restaurant
-Take a cruise on the Vista Fleet
-Photo shoot/swim on the beach
-Carriage rides
-We obviously have to watch the tall ships come in, and maybe we could catch a thousand footer coming under the bridge one day
-Train ride up the north shore
-Maritime museum and train depot
-Enger Tower
-Enjoy the tall ships festivities
-ICE CREAM AT THE GRANDMAS BOXCAR SERIOUSLY
-Eat at a local diner or whatever its called, someplace unique to Duluth
-Hit up the local gift shops for mermaid accessories [theres a metric ton of places that sell seashells and netting and other nice nice things]
-You guys wanna go inside a 750 foot cargo ship? You got it.
-Boardwalk!
-Visit the aquarium

If you guys need more reasons to come up to Duluth for this, I can certainly do that. xD But anyways, yeah. You know how Merpalooza was a big event for the mermaid community? Well the Tall Ships is a big event for the Minnesota community. So it would be awesome if we could at least get a few other mers up here. I know Iona had to sit through my sugar high rant on why she should come up, so there it is for the rest of you. :3

Here (http://visitduluth.com/tallships2013/) is a website with more information on it, and here is a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Jl3R6sTXk) of what's in store for the Tall Ships this year. These are just two of the nine ships that came in that day. [Watch it all the way through, its impressive.] Also, Jack Sparrow will be present.

AniaR
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
you should see if the mermaids can be part of the Tall Ships. I do different Tall Ships activities when they're here too. Last year I was in a parade at one port, and then had a photo booth set up at another. (It's where the infamous photo of me in a lobster trap was taken)

Ayla of Duluth
01-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I sent an email to the guy who is in charge of the entertainment. I got his email from the Jack Sparrow impersonator, and I asked him if I could be a volunteer mermaid. I never got a response. Then a few months later I got the emails from the other Minnesotan mermaid so I went to send a new email to him asking if there could be more than one of us, but his email had changed and there was no longer anyone to get ahold of. I figured that since it's a public event and you only need wristbands to do things like board the ships and get into certain VIP areas of the events, we could dress up as our mermaid selves and sit somewhere sunny and grassy. After all, a lot of the locals dress up as pirates and such, this is just how we dress up. ;)

Ayla of Duluth
01-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hpKL8BhpFE) is another nice video showing the Tall Ships.

Mer_Adella
01-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Honestly Ayla. If I can find someone to watch my dog and get a friend to go with me, I might make the drive...who knows.

Ayla of Duluth
01-22-2013, 08:59 AM
W00!!!

Capt Nemo
01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
We have the same in Green Bay every so often. Only problem is....It's right in the middle of EAA when I'm busy keeping exhibitors happy.

Spindrift
01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Ooh I have a friend from high school who works on the HMS Bounty (the original Black Pearl). I wonder if they will be there?

Ayla of Duluth
01-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Bounty sank, are they on a different ship?

Spindrift
01-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Oh, what?! *checks Facebook for friend* Huh. Yeah I see a post where someone tells her she should be on the shop for a certain date a few months back, then a post 4 days later when someone writes, "So sad about the Bounty, glad to see you're safely ashore". So I guess she's fine. But I didn't see any posts about what actually happened. That's... pretty shocking. Wow. *Googles to read up on it*

Capt Nemo
01-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Hurricane Sandy sank her. Wish she went down in freshwater so she'd get preserved.