PDA

View Full Version : quitting smoking and breathing excercises

Mermaid Bella
01-20-2013, 04:53 AM
i have always been at home in the water, i was always the first in the pool and the last to get out.

i always tried my best to be comfortable in murky lakes even though muddy water and slimy rocks freak me the hell out.

i was always the best at floating, swimming and general tricks in the water...

today i went swimming and every time i went underwater without at least 10 seconds prep i got water in my lungs, up my nose and in my mouth.
i jumped in the deep end and everything got flooded with water.

this worries me greatly, so i have decided to give up my very recient and very awful habit. smoking.

if i cant swim, i'll just die.

so, along with this can anyone give me some breathing exercises to speed up the process to my former glory?

AniaR
01-20-2013, 11:51 AM
I don't have any tips for giving up smoking, but I am plagued by second hand smoke. I grew up with a family of smokers, everyone smoked in the house and in the car. I lived with my grandmother for a year who smoked heavily, and now I'm finally on my own in a smoke free environment, and the neighbours below us smoke so much I get clouds in my bedroom! So haha I'm jumping in here, wondering not only if people have quitting tips for you, but if anyone also has tips for dealing with second hand smoke for me. I've already got an air purifier but there's so much smoke it's not strong enough.

Mermaid Annariea
01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
i am also someone who deals with a lot of second hand smoke. so if anyone has anything to deal with that, it would be awesome.

as for breathing techniques, we might even have a thread on it. if i can find it, ill edit this with the link.

Dacora
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
I too deal with second hand smoke but so far(knock on wood) it has not effected my breath hold.
My friend is having me make her a tail and she smokes but is quitting so we can stay down longer. If her or I find anything that helps her I will post it here to share with you. :)

MerEmma
01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
I've dealt with secondhand smoke and it hasn't effected me, but my parents try to keep me away when they're smoking. My breathhold is all right, but I have had no issues in the past with improving it.

Mermaid Bella
01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
second hand smoke is bad, but not as bad as first hand smoke. most of the chemicals in smoke are noxious only when heated so by the time it wafts over its cooled enough to be less harmful than incense. which by the way is toxic.... heavy metal smoke big no no.

I thinkthe purifier is a good idea. you can get special fans that have the humidifier function in them but it makes the room cooler not warmer, that could be helpful.

Goldie
05-29-2013, 09:21 PM
I have heard that if you take a wet but well rung out hand towel and sort of wave it around the room in a circle like it were a lasso that it will take the smoke and the smell out if the air.

Mermaid Muir
05-29-2013, 11:12 PM
I heard something that if you leave a half of an apple out it helps to get rid of the smell.

mergirltp
03-08-2023, 05:25 PM
I can share my experience to quit smoking. I tried nicotine pouches that are simple to use. These are tobacco free pouches and have been used widely. I'm a fan of the mini Snus (https://snusitalia.it/pages/snus) pouches, as they're more discreet and comfortable than the standard size. It's great to see so many brands offering this option.