PDA

View Full Version : How to attach lion's paw shells to a swim top? Also best paint?

Melanie
01-20-2013, 01:41 PM
I mean I guess the title says it all haha and someone has probably mentioned it somewhere before but every time I have made a top I use a bra and just kind of glue the crap out of it just enough to hold it together for photos. I also want to paint some shells purple for an Ariel shoot but I'm not sure what I should use. Any glue recommendations would be great for accessories on top of the shells too. Thanks!!

Mermaid Momo
01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
have you tried E600? It's a type of silicone glue that says it's waterproof i believe. and i think most peopole airbrush their shells, but maybe spray paint will work (the kind for outdoor surfaces, because the craft kind/kind for indoor surfaces likes to crack and peel off) and a good sealent like mod podge spray or something to seal the colors in .

http://www.hyatts.com/eCom/images/H/H78904.jpg

Winged Mermaid
01-20-2013, 05:18 PM
E6000 is great, but I have not used it for attaching shells to tops personally. I use Gorilla Glue for that (and other high stress points, like gluing metal clips to shells and things like that). I bought different sized clamps just for that becuase it makes an amazing bond. Plus it's cheaper, the glue lasts longer (in terms of how much volume of glue you need for a project), and people usually already have it around their houses. But not everyone is comfortable using it either. It's up to you, but those glues are the two I would recommend :)

For accessories on top of the shells, it depends on what you're gluing. I must admit E600 will cover pretty much all of your bases there- whether it's pearls or jewels, plants, more shells, ect.

Winged Mermaid
01-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Forgot to comment on the paint! Everyone I know uses just regular acrylic paint. Some people seal them, some people don't. I haven't heard of any issues with chipping acrylic on shells, but I don't know as I have not had personal experience. Just take your time with them to make sure the brush bristles cover all the nooks and crannies :)

sydthefairebrat
01-20-2013, 06:01 PM
So this "mod podge" is good for sealing? Even for use in chlorine?

Blondie
01-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Mod Podge is waterbase. It will melt off in water.

E6000 is perfect. It's $4 a tube. I used it on my top and everything stays put!

Melanie
01-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Ok so I went and bought some stuff today and home depot did not have the E6000, so I ended up buying liquid nails and we will see how that goes. I have used it in the past for school project and actually glued nails and sawblades and things to wood so I'm testing it out on a hairpiece I'm making right now and if all looks well tomorrow morning I will start on my top. Thanks guys! (:

sydthefairebrat
01-21-2013, 01:52 AM
Melanie: just for future reference, they have e6000 at Jo-Ann (:

Melanie
01-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks. (: I was being lazy yesterday and the Michael's is far away and the Joanne's is REALLY far away so I decided I was just going to deal with home depot since it's close and I had to go anyway. Next time though!! (:

Mermaid Saphira
01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
E6000 glue is a lifesaver! Sure, it smells alittle funky, but it seriously holds! ;) good luck :)