PDA

View Full Version : Sewing machine issues

Mermaid Summer
01-21-2013, 06:23 PM
I've been spring cleaning and I discovered I still had my Singer Promise 1409, after some tinkering I got it thread but the thread from the needle keeps coming out. How do I fix this?

Triton-Mahtlinnie
01-21-2013, 09:07 PM
What do you mean by "keeps coming out" ? If the top thread is snapping while you're sewing, it's probably an issue with your tension. Do you have any more details on what the machine is doing?

Mermaid Summer
01-21-2013, 10:24 PM
What do you mean by "keeps coming out" ? If the top thread is snapping while you're sewing, it's probably an issue with your tension. Do you have any more details on what the machine is doing?

What is Tension? The thread is very loose. The machine works fine but I"ll sewing and the thread comes out of the needle eye.

ButterflyVision
01-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Ah well. Maybe you need to pull the thread farther through the needle eye. I know what your talking about but it's hard for me to explain. Or just sew slowly and watch the thread so when it looks like its going to come out pull it back through. I'm no expert though. These are some things I've done. Still having the problem your facing though.

Triton-Mahtlinnie
01-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Tension is what keeps the thread taut as it runs through all the loops on the machine. If your tension is too tight, your thread snaps when you try to sew (Happens to me a lot :V)

I agree with Butterfly Vision, make sure you pull the thread a good distance through the eye of the needle before you start sewing (don't be afraid to waste thread) and give yourself a nice long tail. How far do you usually get before the thread pulls out?

Rain
01-22-2013, 12:29 AM
I have an old sewing machine that I just can't get to work properly too. :< I don't know how to help but, youtube has a lot of videos on Singer Sewing Machines, new and old. It could help. ;D

Mermaid Summer
01-22-2013, 01:23 AM
Tension is what keeps the thread taut as it runs through all the loops on the machine. If your tension is too tight, your thread snaps when you try to sew (Happens to me a lot :V)

I agree with Butterfly Vision, make sure you pull the thread a good distance through the eye of the needle before you start sewing (don't be afraid to waste thread) and give yourself a nice long tail. How far do you usually get before the thread pulls out?

That could be it, I pull it just a tiny bit out.

Ayla of Duluth
01-22-2013, 01:50 AM
When you pull the thread through the eye of the needle, keep pulling it until you've pulled a good 5 or 6 inches. As it was stated above, don't be afraid to use lots of thread.

spottedcatfish
01-22-2013, 03:45 AM
Here's a link for how to thread a singer sewing machine: http://www.singerco.com/sewing-resources/threading-machines

Depending on what machine you have, you may be missing a step. Also behind the needle is a metal slit/bar, called a thread guide, make sure the thread is in this gap before you thread the needle. It can help the thread stay where it needs to be and and not fall out. Like the previous posts make sure you have a few inches of thread from the needle.

Taniira
01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
I agree that it sounds like a tension issue or not a long enough thread tail. You need to make sure your bobbin thread is pulled through with a several inch tail, as well.

Just another FYI (particularly for Rain), if your machine has been sitting a long time (ie, years) or is old you may need to take it in for service. Sewing machines have a lot of parts that rub together and periodically need to be lubricated with special sewing machine oil and sometimes adjusted. I've never had mine done, as when my cheap machine died I just replaced it since it wasn't worth paying the servicing fee, but the local sewing shop told me that around here the servicing fee was about $75-$100 (though it may be more or less in your area).

If you have a local sewing shop, I would go by and describe your problem to them (even if it's just a JoAnn's or Hancock, but a small local shop tends to be more helpful). They might have some advice for you or even offer to take a look at it. Make friends with the employees there if you plan to do lots of sewing. I don't buy fabric from them unless they have something I have to have as it tends to be twice as expensive than the mass stores, but I go by for thread or notions. They also carry patterns by other smaller businesses that you can't get from the big box stores.