PDA

View Full Version : Special Fins fiberglass mono

Lotus
01-22-2013, 09:37 AM
I thought I would taked a minute to post something about my monofin from SpecialFins, just so people know the 411. I wanted a faster, larger fin than my rapid, but I didn't want to pay upwards of 300 bucks for a competitor, so I looked on line and found the "dolphin" mono from SpecialFins. In the picture online it's black, but I asked mine be made white, which was not a problem. Karmo, the guy who runs the company, was awesome to work with. He kept in contact with me and kindly answered all my questions. I got a medium hardness fin and it was a tad over 175 bucks for it including tax and shipping. Here's a pic of it:
The only issue I have with it is that it rubs blisters on my feet really badly. I should have asked for neoprene foot inserts, but I didn't think I'd need them... oh well. I'm just going to line the foot pockets myself. The fin is very very fast, and took a little getting used to since it's not as flexible as my rapid. I love it to death tho, and I really recommend this company. :)

AptaMer
01-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi Lotus,

My experience has been that the stiffer/harder the fin, the harder swimming with it is on your feet. I guess with really stiff fins you should always get some neoprene socks or booties.

Mermaid Allie
01-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Nice fin!!!

Spindrift
01-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Cool. :) I have a Leaderfin and I use neoprene socks. I was recommended to get the softer blades because it takes a lot of strength to use the stiffer ones.

Lotus
01-23-2013, 02:05 PM
yeah it does take some strength! some day I'll get one that's soft. ah well, live and learn!

Patches
01-29-2013, 02:50 AM
Man that's expensive. :/ 175 bucks thats crazy!!!

Lotus
01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
It's really not bad for a fiberglass fin made to order. It's one of the lower end ones that the company makes.... A Finis competitor will set you back 2-300 depending on where you get it. Waterways makes one that was 450 last time I looked.

Sammi Ray
01-29-2013, 10:06 AM
http://www.fins4u.com/spearfishing_and_freediving_fins/monofins/freediving_sport_monofin_P596.html- this is where i am getting mine from, £85 just like a competitor and they have some really really good reviews

drucilla
01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Is fiberglass better than the usual?

Mermaid Allie
01-29-2013, 06:57 PM
OHH Yeah. Fiberglass is way better than plastic and rubber. its stronger, but flexible, so it propels you much further and faster in the water. hence the price tag lol