PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Kariel's tails? Anyone ever bought from her?

Patches
01-23-2013, 05:22 AM
Has anyone ever ordered a tail from her?
I loooove hers. They're so realistic looking and have the same style as Hannah's without the high dollar price tag.
She states that she tries to make hers out of recycled material where she can
and I really like that.

I love Mermaid Raven's tails but I'm trying to save money where ever I can. And it looks like
Raven's too swamped all the time anyways. It doesn't seem like Kariel ever has problems taking orders
and I'd like to save an extra 100 dollars anywhere if possible. I mean, I'm happy with having a tail from
either one of them so whichever turns out to be cheaper would be my option. I also feel like Kariel's (800-1000 dollar adult tails) are more
customized (without adding extra fees) than the basic Raven tail and they are about the same price.

Here it states her prices but I really want to know if anyone has
any experiences in ordering from her? I'd be really pleased to find out.

"Kariel has put her years of experience as a professional mermaid performer and tailmaker to use in creating teen and adult mermaid tails, complete with hand-painted, three dimensional scales. These tails are the perfect combination of durability, flow, and art. Tails are made in many shapes and sizes. You can completly request what you want with color, finge and shape of the fluke. The tails can be made very boyent or not. The Tails can way as little as 10 pounds or as heavy as 25 pounds. They can come completly white so that you can purchase our embelishment package and decorate and paint your tail on your own or Kariel can custom hand paint your tail or embelish apon your requests and desires. Its your tail, order it your way!
See examples of Kariels tail work all over this website!
For inquirees please email mermaidkariel@gmail.com. Please include your measurments around your waist, hips and length from belly button to tip of your toes. A representative will contact you by phone to discuss your wants needs and budget.
Payments can be made by check, Paypall or by creditcard over the phone.

Size & Price chart.
Length belly button to pointed tip toes/ largest circumference" point of lower body/ base price:
(S) 0-17"/ 0-24"/ $200. (NON SWIMMANLE)
(M) 17"-29"/ 0-24"/ $400. (NON SWIMMABLE)
(L) 29"-39"/0-24"/ $600.
(Adult S) 40"-50"/0-37"/ $800.
(Adult M) 51"-55"/0-39"/ $900.
(Adult L) 56"+/0-41"/ $1,000."

I also don't understand the measurements. >.>
I'm 36 bust, 29 waist, 36 hip. I weigh 135 lbs and I am 5 foot 6.
Anyone know what size I'd be considered?

AniaR
01-23-2013, 09:33 AM
I wasn't aware she was selling adults tails. Last time I saw she was selling select children's tails. I would totally buy one of her tails if I have the money. Not everyone can pull off a sequin tail that's in my taste, but she def does.

MermaidAlaina
01-23-2013, 12:02 PM
I had actually contacted Kariel about ordering a tail back before I ordered one from Fish Butts (in November). After giving her my measurements and thinking that I was actually about to place my order...she told me that all she had to do was create an invoice for payment. Then several weeks went by and I did not hear anything from her. About 2 weeks ago I got an email from her saying that at this time, she would not be able to make me a tail because she was just to busy with performances and stuff. She also stated that she was reconsidering even making/selling tails at all. I wish I had not deleted the email, otherwise I could post it here for you all to read. Not trying to disappoint...but thought I would share the info. ;)

Spindrift
01-23-2013, 02:53 PM
I feel like the general look of how she makes the tails for other people is quite different from the tails she makes for herself. I don't know if that was maybe the client's decision/design or not though. Just something to keep in mind.

Blondie
01-23-2013, 04:07 PM
I do love her tails a lot :) I'd love to see them on other mers!

Patches
01-24-2013, 01:04 AM
I had actually contacted Kariel about ordering a tail back before I ordered one from Fish Butts (in November). After giving her my measurements and thinking that I was actually about to place my order...she told me that all she had to do was create an invoice for payment. Then several weeks went by and I did not hear anything from her. About 2 weeks ago I got an email from her saying that at this time, she would not be able to make me a tail because she was just to busy with performances and stuff. She also stated that she was reconsidering even making/selling tails at all. I wish I had not deleted the email, otherwise I could post it here for you all to read. Not trying to disappoint...but thought I would share the info. ;)

Well damn THAT is something I was definitely hoping I wouldn't hear. D': I really really want one of her tails. I feel like they're the nicest made sequin tails for the greatest value money wise.

Patches
01-24-2013, 01:07 AM
I feel like the general look of how she makes the tails for other people is quite different from the tails she makes for herself. I don't know if that was maybe the client's decision/design or not though. Just something to keep in mind.

That's something I was wondering about also. But it says that the tails she's made before are supposed to be an accurate example of the detail you could
expect in your own tail.

Spindrift
01-24-2013, 02:30 AM
Also for the sizes she posted she wrote: Length belly button to pointed tip toes/ largest circumference" point of lower body/ base price

So your hips (if that is the largest circumferences of your lower body) will fit Adult S. But you should figure out the measurements you're missing.

Sammi Ray
01-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Had a look as i didn't know she made tails. Sent her a messege as i quite liked them myself and they were much cheaper than silicone. She replied and i asked her much one would cost with a custome fluke and she replied '$3,000'..... thats a jump from her '1,000' on her website...

Patches
01-29-2013, 03:29 AM
Had a look as i didn't know she made tails. Sent her a messege as i quite liked them myself and they were much cheaper than silicone. She replied and i asked her much one would cost with a custome fluke and she replied '$3,000'..... thats a jump from her '1,000' on her website...

That's quite ridiculous. >.> **sigh** Figured my dream was too good to be true. Cool. More disappointment yet again!

Sammi Ray
01-29-2013, 04:12 AM
I was thinking about it too. Thats why i messeged her... i said why are they so high and she just said my tails have so much work and special rubbers. I will post messeges wheb i get to a laptop cus im on my mobile.

Oceana
07-26-2013, 03:17 AM
Yeah, I had inquired about the tails and I was quoted minimum 3 grand for sequins..

Sammi Ray
08-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah :-(

AniaR
08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
I thought her website said something like 10,000 now. Though people are entitled to change their price as they re-evaluate how much work they put into it. I've upped the price of my parties 4 times in the last year

Mermaid Marissa
10-12-2013, 12:58 PM
I thought her website said something like 10,000 now. Though people are entitled to change their price as they re-evaluate how much work they put into it. I've upped the price of my parties 4 times in the last year

I saw this too. I didn't even know she made tails for under that price! I was thinking about getting one of her tails till I saw this. It seems like a lot of tail makers are super swapped these days.

starlite
10-21-2013, 04:59 AM
I've just discovered her work and it's amazing : i will love to have a tail from her but are you saying 10 000 dollars for one of her tail ??

Mermaid Harmony
10-22-2013, 07:14 PM
I know Illonka does sequins on tails, (not sure if she actually takes orders or not, but she's working on Raina's, and who knows if she'll do it for the right price, that's her call, but Illonka's tails are sooo breathtaking. Even her first one was remarkable. I know that it is expensive no matter who you go through, I've seen Kariel's tails in person and they are quite gorgeous and if you get the full sequin ones then they have tons and tons of sequins. However, I know that Shelly was doing big sequins and hers were about 1,000 I think. If you want a sequin tail I think it comes down to putting 100 plus hours in yourself and buying and assembling, or paying someone else a chunk of sea dollars to put in 100s of hours to do it for you.

AniaR
10-22-2013, 07:42 PM
I feel Illonka is undercharging me, and I plan to give her a big tip when she's done ;) I think my project turned out to be a lot more than she expected. However keep in mind I bought the sequins and had them shipped to her, and I send her an already assembled tail too.

Mermaid Marissa
10-23-2013, 03:36 PM
I know Illonka does sequins on tails, (not sure if she actually takes orders or not, but she's working on Raina's, and who knows if she'll do it for the right price, that's her call, but Illonka's tails are sooo breathtaking. Even her first one was remarkable. I know that it is expensive no matter who you go through, I've seen Kariel's tails in person and they are quite gorgeous and if you get the full sequin ones then they have tons and tons of sequins. However, I know that Shelly was doing big sequins and hers were about 1,000 I think. If you want a sequin tail I think it comes down to putting 100 plus hours in yourself and buying and assembling, or paying someone else a chunk of sea dollars to put in 100s of hours to do it for you.

haha mine was her first one (other then the one she did herself). I love it!!

Mermaid Marissa
10-23-2013, 03:36 PM
I feel Illonka is undercharging me, and I plan to give her a big tip when she's done ;) I think my project turned out to be a lot more than she expected. However keep in mind I bought the sequins and had them shipped to her, and I send her an already assembled tail too.

I felt the same way! She's a super sweet person tho

Mermaid Kariel
03-15-2015, 12:36 AM
I wasn't aware she was selling adults tails. Last time I saw she was selling select children's tails. I would totally buy one of her tails if I have the money. Not everyone can pull off a sequin tail that's in my taste, but she def does.
Awe thank you Raven

AniaR
03-15-2015, 12:37 AM
Haha I'm Raina actually ;) <3 Welcome to mernetwork!

AniaR
03-15-2015, 12:50 AM
Awesome!!! <3 this thread is kind of old so people speculated a bit. Old info. Excited for your progress!!!

Winged Mermaid
03-15-2015, 04:37 AM
Oh and to clear up this thread. I only made children's neoprene tails then. I am planning to start selling full silicone and sequin tails too. expect the price to be 2,400 AND UP for an adult tail. When I am ready to do this I will have it all clear on my web site :-) xoxoxoox

That's awesome Kariel! Your tails are pieces of art for sure, and I LOVE what you've done with the silicone flukes and fins with the sequin bodies! Once you open for orders, we'll be proud to list you on our Tailmaker page :)

PearlieMae
03-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Hi Kariel! :mermaid kiss:

Mermaid Enora
03-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Kariel, so excited to see what kind of tails you offer!

Mermaid Alea
03-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Oh and to clear up this thread. I only made children's neoprene tails then. I am planning to start selling full silicone and sequin tails too. expect the price to be 2,400 AND UP for an adult tail. When I am ready to do this I will have it all clear on my web site :-) xoxoxoox

That is amazing news! I was just drooling over that photo of your new fluke packed in a suitcase with your new heart tail. You put a lot of nice detail into the scales on the fluke and I love how you have tails made of both silicone and sequins. I wish you luck and I can't wait to see your first orders! :D

lynsea
03-19-2015, 05:15 PM

Kariel's new tail!! Look spectacular in my opinion. The color detail on those scales is gorgeous.

Kariel, maybe you could clear this up, that is the same tail just reversed? Is it still swimmable with the reversable monofin?

Mermaid Alea
03-19-2015, 05:34 PM
Very neat looking scales it definitely looks fish-like.

Maethor
03-20-2015, 12:59 AM
According to her Facebook, "It's also fully reversible, even the fluke. So if she wants to be blue in the front instead of green she can:-)"

Mermaid Sabie
03-20-2015, 01:13 AM
Wow that's amazing! I absolutely LOVE the look of the scales!!

Mermaid Harmony
03-20-2015, 03:19 AM

Kariel's new tail!! Look spectacular in my opinion. The color detail on those scales is gorgeous.

Kariel, maybe you could clear this up, that is the same tail just reversed? Is it still swimmable with the reversable monofin?
I can clear this up for you as I was there when Malia put it on, the tail itself is reversible, and the monofin is reversible as well. I can't tell you how different it looks in different pictures and in person, this tail is so gorgeous, and I just put my down payment, as Kariel is going to make my next tail. Malia's tail looks like big sequins but when you look at it you can tell the individual coloring, it's rad.

Venessa Louisiana Mermaid
03-20-2015, 03:44 AM
This is truly an amazing tail. Kariel, you have upped the game, girl.

03-20-2015, 03:57 AM
And Kariel, if you don't mind, I would like to offer you a bit of advice from someone who has run her own business for 10 years (not tailmaking but creative-based). You said above your pricing will begin at $2400 for adult tails. Well, I know other mers are going to hop on here and be furious at me for saying this, because at the moment they are salivating just waiting to take advantage of this. YOU ARE PRICING YOURSELF WAY TO LOW.

Seriously, this is lower than some of the current tailmakers on the market that are nowhere NEAR this level of talent. What is going to wind up happening is that you are going to get a FLOOD of orders at this price and be completely overwhelmed trying to fill them. You will work twice as hard and your wait times will double and then everyone will be unhappy....yourself and your customer. You need to start these tails at AT LEAST double that amount. That way, you get only the serious buyers who will pay for your art. Instead of filling two ordersfor 5K, you fill one...for the same amount of money and half the time. I don't know for sure...but I am guessing this is what is happening at Merbella. She could probably raise her prices as well and shorten her turnaround times. KNOW YOUR TALENT...and know your market. ;) And best of luck!

Coradion
03-20-2015, 06:26 AM
I love Kariel's work, I'm so glad I've gotten to meet here. Here attention to detail and standard of quality is exquisite!

Sherielle
03-20-2015, 10:30 AM
That tail. Those scales. I die.:jawdrop:

Mermaid Lorelei
03-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Are they individual scales? The coloring sure makes it look like it, or at least that they were painted one by one afterwards.

AniaR
03-20-2015, 09:06 PM
I agree with Vanessa. At least 3500

AniaR
03-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Lol and Vanessa I am always telling Raven to do that lol

MermaidShannon
03-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Honestly for the time and effort and materials -- these are the most intricate silicone tails I have seen -- with fins and top? 5-6k. Easy. Don't cheapen yourself those tails aren't for basic mermaids.

Princess Pearl
03-21-2015, 12:47 AM
I believe that she said that they START at $2400. That might very well be for a single coloured tail with no fins.

Yulia
03-21-2015, 08:38 AM
Maybe she want to feel the market also, and then gradually raise the price.

Mermaid Danielle
03-21-2015, 12:21 PM
That tail is incredible! Beautiful work!

MermaidShannon
03-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Feeling the market is one thing not knowing how much time and effort having individually molded different color scales is another. She barely covered her costs not to mention how grueling this obviously was. Those tails are worth blood sweat and tears to pay for because it obviously took those components to make. It's magic

PearlieMae
03-21-2015, 03:25 PM
I know exactly how hard it is to make, and she is WAY undercharging!

MermaidShannon
03-21-2015, 03:26 PM
I mean I know it's gonna upset people but this isn't exactly a cheap hobby

AnnaAbyss
03-21-2015, 10:38 PM
And Kariel, if you don't mind, I would like to offer you a bit of advice from someone who has run her own business for 10 years (not tailmaking but creative-based). You said above your pricing will begin at $2400 for adult tails. Well, I know other mers are going to hop on here and be furious at me for saying this, because at the moment they are salivating just waiting to take advantage of this. YOU ARE PRICING YOURSELF WAY TO LOW.

Seriously, this is lower than some of the current tailmakers on the market that are nowhere NEAR this level of talent. What is going to wind up happening is that you are going to get a FLOOD of orders at this price and be completely overwhelmed trying to fill them. You will work twice as hard and your wait times will double and then everyone will be unhappy....yourself and your customer. You need to start these tails at AT LEAST double that amount. That way, you get only the serious buyers who will pay for your art. Instead of filling two ordersfor 5K, you fill one...for the same amount of money and half the time. I don't know for sure...but I am guessing this is what is happening at Merbella. She could probably raise her prices as well and shorten her turnaround times. KNOW YOUR TALENT...and know your market. ;) And best of luck!

^THIS.

Kariel that new tail is SO breathtakingly beautiful and looks like movie quality. It's a masterpiece.

03-22-2015, 12:13 AM
I mean I know it's gonna upset people but this isn't exactly a cheap hobby

Exactly. Look, there is room enough in the ocean for all types of mers. Some mers are gonna have FinFun tails and that is ok. But dammit NOT EVERYONE GETS TO HAVE a Merbella or an MVD or now a Kariel tail. Just like not everyone gets to drive a Lamborghini. Doesn't mean you still can't drive a car. This is 'Murica and if you work hard then maybe you will get your fancy tail one day. Unless your company has layoffs and you have to move back to your parent's basement. Or your pimp doesn't want to give you more than a 30% cut. And don't come skeeving around with your gofundme site either because ain't nobody gonna fund your tail when there are children in Africa starving. Moral of the story is mermaiding isn't cheap unless you are happy being basic. If you aren't then maybe you wanna try stamp collecting. I'm just being real with ya'll because you need to hear it. I'm that friend that is going to take your phone from you in the bathroom when you are drunk and tell you that your ex-boyfriend doesn't love you anymore and probably never did.

Maethor
03-22-2015, 12:20 AM
Exactly. Look, there is room enough in the ocean for all types of mers. Some mers are gonna have FinFun tails and that is ok. But dammit NOT EVERYONE GETS TO HAVE a Merbella or an MVD or now a Kariel tail. Just like not everyone gets to drive a Lamborghini. Doesn't mean you still can't drive a car. This is 'Murica and if you work hard then maybe you will get your fancy tail one day. Unless your company has layoffs and you have to move back to your parent's basement. Or your pimp doesn't want to give you more than a 30% cut. And don't come skeeving around with your gofundme site either because ain't nobody gonna fund your tail when there are children in Africa starving. Moral of the story is mermaiding isn't cheap unless you are happy being basic. If you aren't then maybe you wanna try stamp collecting. I'm just being real with ya'll because you need to hear it. I'm that friend that is going to take your phone from you in the bathroom when you are drunk and tell you that your ex-boyfriend doesn't love you anymore and probably never did.

Ahahaha I just laughed so hard!!

03-22-2015, 01:10 AM
Ahahaha I just laughed so hard!!

Ok good...I'm glad that you got I was totally joking....because some people on here don't quite realize yet that I'm only serious about 3% of the time.

Mermaid Enora
03-22-2015, 01:27 AM

:)
Couldn't resist, but.........I'm a stamp collector and its just as expensive as mermaiding so maybe try origami????

03-22-2015, 02:03 AM
Couldn't resist, but.........I'm a stamp collector and its just as expensive as mermaiding so maybe try origami????

That works. Or bottlecaps. Rocks. Rocks are free. Not crack rocks though.

MermaidShannon
03-22-2015, 03:31 AM

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/21/deb680db13dd1ffaf548a5b531c090ef.jpg

MermaidShannon
03-22-2015, 03:33 AM
GET OFF MY KOOLAID

MermaidShannon
03-22-2015, 03:33 AM
Oops sorry that was @venessa and wrong thread

Theta
03-23-2015, 01:05 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/21/deb680db13dd1ffaf548a5b531c090ef.jpg

Where have you been all my life. This is fantastic

Mermaid Cascada
03-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Are they individual scales? The coloring sure makes it look like it, or at least that they were painted one by one afterwards.
That's what I was wondering. The idea that it's reversible is amazing as well!

PearlieMae
03-23-2015, 02:16 PM
I can't imagine how difficult it must be to do individual scales! Stunning! Remarkable! A game-changer! Reversible? It's not attached to the fluke? Wow!

:eye twitch:

Mermaid Wesley
03-23-2015, 02:36 PM
*snort*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MermaidShannon
03-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Where have you been all my life. This is fantastic

Hahahahaha. It's my go-to meme

PearlieMae
03-23-2015, 02:51 PM
*snort*

:highfive:

Mermaid Harmony
03-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Hey friends, I chatted with Kariel last night to clear this up a little, 2,400 is going to be the starting point for the jump off point of silicone tails with a scale sheet. Malia's tail is not basic, she has individual scales, and a ton of fins. So it will be extra for fins/individal scales etc. No idea how much, or any of that, but I thought you guys would like to know. :-)
And Pearlie, I know you rocked this individual scales from the beginning and you are amazing and make wonderful tails, I'm sorry if anyone has made you feel not that way.

PearlieMae
03-23-2015, 03:38 PM
...And Pearlie, I know you rocked this individual scales from the beginning and you are amazing and make wonderful tails, I'm sorry if anyone has made you feel not that way.

Don't sweat it. :thumbs-up:

Mermaid Galene
03-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Venessa and Pearlie, you both crack me up! Thanks. I needed that today. :lol:

Mermaid Cascada
03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Since the scales are individual, do they lift up?

AniaR
03-25-2015, 07:51 PM
it will be interesting to see how the tails hold up over time. being reversible and turning inside out. I'm curious if it would make them more durable or less durable.

Mermaid Wesley
03-25-2015, 07:56 PM
i /think/ they mean reversible front to back, not inside out. not sure, though.

AniaR
03-25-2015, 07:58 PM
I tlooked to me from the photos and explanation that you could turn the whole thing inside out. one side blue, the inside green type thing.

Mermaid Lorelei
03-27-2015, 10:50 AM
The reversible means that one side of the tail is more green, and one side more blue. Depending on which way you use the fluke, you can make the whole tail 'seem' different by wearing it one way or the other.

PearlieMae
03-27-2015, 12:07 PM
It's reversible front to back, according to her post on facebook. Not sure how the fluke is reversible, unless it doesn't have a monofin.

Mermaid Lorelei
03-27-2015, 12:16 PM
It could possibly be more of a monofin 'box' like MVD uses.

Mermaid Harmony
03-28-2015, 01:06 AM
The scales lift up just a little, no turning inside out, the back is bluer the front is greener, the monofin is removable lending to the reversable fluke if that makes any sense. Think of it as three pieces, tail, fluke, and monofin.

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Aloha All.

Thanks for all the curiosity. I actually have not figured on a set basic price for a tail yet. I have taken a number of private orders to get my fins wet in the process of silicone. Time, costs, experiments, learning curves..... These few first orders did receive a HUGE discount, to insure the clients would be kind through my learning curves ( there has been a ton of learning!). I have 3 more silicone tails to finish and then will have a great sense of what I will charge to make them, how many I will make per year ect or even if I end up wanting to run a tail business. This is all an experiment for me. What I can say now is its a lot more expensive to make a silicone tail then I had planned and the 2,400 bench mark does not seem reasonable at the extent of my labor and the time I put in. I just can't make anything simple...I have to go so above and beyond because I fall in love with what I am making. Its fun and I love making them. It will come down to my time and numbers after these tails are all finished. I will let everyone know beginning of September what I plan to do. Pearly Mae you rock at what you do! Your design make me drool :-) If I don't end up making tails I will definitely be sharing my moulds with a tail maker....no point in waisting all these fab moulds I've made. We will all have to wait and see how it goes...even myself. All my love to everyone. Keep swimming, making beautiful things, and helping to better our world. Such an awesome community!

Kariel

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Thank you! this first silicone tail will always be one of my favorites :-)

Merman Arion
06-30-2015, 03:55 PM
@Mermaid Kariel

I suggest that you reply with quotes so we can understand better each of your posts here.
It's at the bottom of each message, you click on "reply with quote" and voilą! :)

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 03:59 PM

Thank you so very much. I actually took this message to heart :-) After getting my fins real wet...I am going to make the final price call :-) 3 tails to go. I'll let all know in September how i plan to move forward. See my post on page 4 for more detail.

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 04:00 PM
@Mermaid Kariel

I suggest that you reply with quotes so we can understand better each of your posts here.
It's at the bottom of each message, you click on "reply with quote" and voilą! :)

Ha ha Thanks!!

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Don't sweat it. :thumbs-up:

Yes you are forever my silicone tail making idol! I still drool :-)

Merman Arion
06-30-2015, 04:02 PM
Ha ha Thanks!!

You're welcome :hug:
I will be watching this thread. I love your work both as a mermaid and tailmaker :)

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 04:04 PM
It could possibly be more of a monofin 'box' like MVD uses.

No I am using Finis Fins in my tails :-) Which ever client prefers. I use a wave in my own pool flukes and a competitor in my ocean flukes.

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Hi Kariel! :mermaid kiss:

Well hello there :$

AniaR
06-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Yaaay kariel

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Yaaay kariel

Yep I am on Raina :-) I am currently seeming up a tail and I hate doing this part! any tips out there on making it easier?

PearlieMae
06-30-2015, 05:29 PM
Well hello there :$

Aloha All.

Thanks for all the curiosity. I actually have not figured on a set basic price for a tail yet. I have taken a number of private orders to get my fins wet in the process of silicone. Time, costs, experiments, learning curves..... These few first orders did receive a HUGE discount, to insure the clients would be kind through my learning curves ( there has been a ton of learning!). I have 3 more silicone tails to finish and then will have a great sense of what I will charge to make them, how many I will make per year ect or even if I end up wanting to run a tail business. This is all an experiment for me. What I can say now is its a lot more expensive to make a silicone tail then I had planned and the 2,400 bench mark does not seem reasonable at the extent of my labor and the time I put in. I just can't make anything simple...I have to go so above and beyond because I fall in love with what I am making. Its fun and I love making them. It will come down to my time and numbers after these tails are all finished. I will let everyone know beginning of September what I plan to do. Pearly Mae you rock at what you do! Your design make me drool :-) If I don't end up making tails I will definitely be sharing my moulds with a tail maker....no point in waisting all these fab moulds I've made. We will all have to wait and see how it goes...even myself. All my love to everyone. Keep swimming, making beautiful things, and helping to better our world. Such an awesome community!

Kariel

Oooh! You're making me blush! :blush: They are a LOT of work, though, aren't they?

And let me know about the molds! I would love to have Kariel molds in my arsenal! :yay:

Have you seen my new monofins?

Yep I am on Raina :-) I am currently seeming up a tail and I hate doing this part! any tips out there on making it easier?

Are you talking about the seams on tails made from scale sheets?

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Oooh! You're making me blush! :blush: They are a LOT of work, though, aren't they?

And let me know about the molds! I would love to have Kariel molds in my arsenal! :yay:

Have you seen my new monofins?

Are you talking about the seams on tails made from scale sheets?

No I havent seen your new monofins! I will have to visit your FB. Yes I made a few scale sheets. The one I am working on is extra detailed and i am just dreading pinning the seems together. All the Silicone flopping and pulling is driving me mad. LOl. I have been rapping it together and pinning it on a pool noodle and that helps a bit. But wondering if anyone found a easy place or way to hold the silicone sheets while pinning so you don't have to fight so hard with the large sheet?

Mermaid Harmony
06-30-2015, 06:06 PM
I'M SO EXCITEDD!!!

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 06:15 PM
I'M SO EXCITEDD!!!

:-P

Mermaid Galene
06-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Kariel ~

It would be wonderful to have a line of gloriously gorgeous silicone Kariel tails to choose from. The artistry of tailmakers in this community is astounding! Kariel tails make our mer world that much richer. But, even if you decide tailmaking is more work than you want to do long term, know that your contributions to quality mermaiding are much appreciated. I have admired your talent in performing, costuming, singing and writing since I first got interested in mermaiding. I do all of those things myself, now, and I owe so much to the trailblazers -- you, Hannah, Raina, Pearlie and others. So thank you! You rock!

PearlieMae
06-30-2015, 09:23 PM
No I havent seen your new monofins! I will have to visit your FB. Yes I made a few scale sheets. The one I am working on is extra detailed and i am just dreading pinning the seems together. All the Silicone flopping and pulling is driving me mad. LOl. I have been rapping it together and pinning it on a pool noodle and that helps a bit. But wondering if anyone found a easy place or way to hold the silicone sheets while pinning so you don't have to fight so hard with the large sheet?

I don't work with scale sheets, and perhaps some other tailmakers can chime in, but can you make a tape dummy of the client, and pin the sheets to that?

Anyone else have advice?

Mermaid Alea
06-30-2015, 10:10 PM
I love the tail you made for your daughter!

Mermaid Jessica might be able to give some good advise on seaming a tail. She has made some beautiful silicone tails using scale sheets and her seams look great.

Here is her facebook: https://www.facebook.com/themermaidjessica

Here are some of her tail making threads on here that might help:
1. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5697-Jessica-s-dragonskin-tail (seam talk on page 2)
2. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?6373-Jessica-s-Second-Dragonskin-Tail/page6 (seam talk on page 6)

I hope this helps! ;)

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 10:54 PM
Kariel ~

It would be wonderful to have a line of gloriously gorgeous silicone Kariel tails to choose from. The artistry of tailmakers in this community is astounding! Kariel tails make our mer world that much richer. But, even if you decide tailmaking is more work than you want to do long term, know that your contributions to quality mermaiding are much appreciated. I have admired your talent in performing, costuming, singing and writing since I first got interested in mermaiding. I do all of those things myself, now, and I owe so much to the trailblazers -- you, Hannah, Raina, Pearlie and others. So thank you! You rock!

Wow Thank you for taking the time to write such a sweet and heartfelt message. Love you for it.

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 10:58 PM
I love the tail you made for your daughter!

Mermaid Jessica might be able to give some good advise on seaming a tail. She has made some beautiful silicone tails using scale sheets and her seams look great.

Here is her facebook: https://www.facebook.com/themermaidjessica

Here are some of her tail making threads on here that might help:
1. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5697-Jessica-s-dragonskin-tail (seam talk on page 2)
2. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?6373-Jessica-s-Second-Dragonskin-Tail/page6 (seam talk on page 6)

I hope this helps! ;)

Awe thank you. I got to meet Jessica at mer-fest...isnt she pearlie Mae "adopted daughter" he he he. She does stunning work. I love her tail on little Hannah. I would love to wear one of hers too!

Mermaid Kariel
06-30-2015, 11:00 PM
I actually figured it out. Instead of layering the seems, I actually carefully cut them to puzzle in side my side and am bonding them together. So I don't think any seem or overlap will show :-) took a long time to figure out the jigsaw but I managed....

Mermaid Alea
06-30-2015, 11:12 PM
Congrats! :clap: Don't forget to document what you did just incase if next time you have trouble again. :)

Mermaid Alea
08-19-2015, 02:13 AM
I am not sure if you mers already know this or not, but it looks like Mermaid Kariel is now or is about to have her soft opening for her Tails of Art:
http://www.mermaidkariel.com/store1.html#!/The-basic-full-silicone-Tail-Of-Art/p/51459334/category=3414244

It looks like there are only 3 spots open. The starting price is at $2,900 and if you order now and fulfill all requirements your tail gets shipped by the end of September.

I am looking forward to seeing more tails from Kariel! :)

lynsea
08-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Check out her latest post. She's reduced the price of the purple sequin tail to $2,500 and will make a new silicone fluke to go with it! That's a steal! It will definitely go fast though.