PDA

View Full Version : How to Restore your Seashells :D awesome

Mer_Adella
01-23-2013, 09:53 AM
So searching google (bored at work) I randomly came upon this awesome lady who tells you how to clean sea shells (preferably natural ones--unpainted...possibly from the ocean or even some you get in bags from the hobby store)

BE AWARE you are using muratic acid....theres always dangers when dealing with acid.
NOTICE: in the beginning of the video it is somewhat hard to hear her. She says use glass jars, preferably outside. DO NOT use a stainless steel sink or tools...they will become damaged without a way to repair.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2J3GcX__88

Items & Steps:

-1/4 part acid to 3/4 water in one glass jar
-full jar of fresh water Only! in another glass jar
-use tonges or hemostats (I recommend that you use them only for this purpose and not your kitchen utensils)
-Shells

1. use tonges and pick up seashell and dip into acid/water mix and swirl around for 3-4 seconds
2. IMMEDIATELY dip into the freshwater jar and swirl around for 5 seconds
3. place on a towel to dry. Try not to touch them with hands until they are dry
4. I recommend swirling them around in another jar of fresh clean water after all shells are done (just a safety measure)

watch the full video for the steps from the lady, then the examples...amazing results :) can't wait to try

Spindrift
01-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Nice post :) I'm sure a lot of people on the forums could use this.

Mermaid Melusinah
01-23-2013, 02:01 PM
safest way i have always done it is just dawn soap, a hint of white vinegar, and water solution. give em a gentle scrub with a nail brush. and then take a cotton ball with baby oil to shine them up

AniaR
01-23-2013, 03:26 PM
wow, now that's a cool and helpful post!

Mer_Adella
01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
thanks raina :) I know there are better ways of doing it so you don't need to mess with acid. but i found this video to be helpful and very cool :) I figured that everyone would at least like to know how to clean the shells...using different methods.

Patches
02-05-2013, 12:28 PM
OooOoO I wanna try! Where can you buy the acid from? Walmart or something?

Taniira
02-05-2013, 02:06 PM
I checked my WalMart and they didn't have any, but I searched for it and it seems like you can get it from Home Depot/Lowe's. It also looks like it's used as a pool chemical so a pool store might have it. I haven't actually gotten my hands on any yet, but I haven't had a chance to get to the hardware stores.

Mermaid Shayna
02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I just bought the supplies ( meaning my dad bought them for me :P ) and I'm gonna try it today or in a couple of days.

Ashton
12-13-2013, 01:30 PM
FYI: If working with abalone or anything with a shinny inside coat GENEROUSLY WITH VASELINE!! If not it will tarnish the mother of pearl.
You can pretty much coat the parts you don't want EATEN AWAY WITH ACID by using Vaseline.

I want to drive this point home because I have done this before and you need to be careful!
Don't leave them in for too long or the acid will eat it away. You can do intervals tho-acid-water-acid-water- if the shell is really nasty looking.