PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Traveling Merman
01-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Hey guys just sketched out and coloured ideas for my tail what do you think?92929293
Yes I know the last sketch is copied from this one:9294

But honestly what are your thoughts on this colour scheme?

Also I've drawn a helmet which I think would be cool to get made for me! [ATTACH]9295[/ATTACH

Mermaid Annariea
01-26-2013, 08:50 PM
i like it!!! :D

Mermaid Wesley
01-26-2013, 08:56 PM
That helmet is beautiful *drools* and I really like the color scheme!

Thalassa
01-26-2013, 08:58 PM
That is a super cool helmet! I'd LOVE to see that come to life.

Tasha Mermaid
01-26-2013, 09:59 PM
ok IN LOVE with the helmet, that i HAVE to see come to life (with lots of pictures) ....that is exactly the two colours i have liked together since i first was thinking of a tail but i am adding now and i don't want as dark a blue......i think it looks good and you should go for it :)

Traveling Merman
01-26-2013, 10:21 PM
The way I want to do the helmet would be gold/bronze with the blue being an enamel I was inspired by this: 9296

I'd want it to swim in it so it'd have to be extremely light weight and semi ridged so mabye neoprene with a fibreglass on top?

I might flesh out this armour a bit more if people like it!

ButterflyVision
01-26-2013, 10:22 PM
The helmet... I want... Helmet. Uh? The tail? Oh yeah colors are totally coral. Now... The helmet....

Traveling Merman
01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Ill have to design some ladies armour then! Lol

ButterflyVision
01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Ill have to design some ladies armour then! Lol

*fangirl squeal* Yes! Do it! Flesh out that armor! Just... Yes! (I honestly don't know why I'm so happy about this) :)

Ashe
01-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Very cool! I love that fluke shape on the tail the most, but the armor is really awesome!

Mermaid Harmony
01-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Please, if you designed female armor, I'd be all over that like mermaid on treasure. Dear lord, that helmet is sooo cool. ::Runs to clay to start a pathetic attempt of making a helmet half as cool::

drucilla
01-27-2013, 04:40 AM
I'm in LOVE with that helmet!!! lol Would the disney cruise line let you wear that in the pool?

Mizuko
01-27-2013, 06:27 AM
this looks awesome! I love the helmet, really cool! :D

SeaGlass Siren
01-27-2013, 03:38 PM
can you do masks too?? :D

Traveling Merman
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm in LOVE with that helmet!!! lol Would the disney cruise line let you wear that in the pool?

God no!!! Lol it's not Disney canon, I'd be disciplined I'm sure!

Sammi Ray
01-27-2013, 04:10 PM
I absolutely love the tail as thats the one i want but i can't seem to find a video to see how it looks in motion! :-( love the tail colours and helmet :-)

Taniira
01-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Ooh. I was thinking about doing armor to go with my tail, as I like the idea of a battle/warrior mermaid, but I'm waiting to see how my tail comes out looking before I decide on any designs or anything!

Sea Pearl
01-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Love the designs and colours. The helmet is awesome too!

Traveling Merman
01-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Ooh. I was thinking about doing armor to go with my tail, as I like the idea of a battle/warrior mermaid, but I'm waiting to see how my tail comes out looking before I decide on any designs or anything!

After sketching the tail I'm leaning towards colouring it completely different to the helmet, like the helmet is just standard issue of the royal guard and the tail is like personal to to the mer person in the same way hair colour is to humans!

Taniira
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
That's a really good idea!

I didn't have any helmet ideas, but I was thinking a scale mail top. It'd have to be aluminum (which oxidizes really quickly so wouldn't stay shiny) or stainless steel (which would be significantly heavier) as far as I can tell. I have a friend that does leather work that says leather can be made waterproof, but he's going to look more into how waterproof "waterproof" actually is.

I hope you do get to make your helmet! I'd love to see it!

Traveling Merman
01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
I was thinking fibreglass possibly? With a neoprene hood for comfort, the fibreglass cold be painted and then sealed, I was thinking?

Taniira
01-27-2013, 09:08 PM
I've never worked with fiberglass so I don't know a lot about it (other than that it's a pain to work with and can be dangerous). I know a lot of people use it in cosplay for armor and such, but I don't know of anyone who did anything that had to be waterproof.

From the 5 minutes of research I just did, it might work. There's some info on some boating forums about waterproofing fiberglass -- it looks like it needs a gel coat of some sort, though. It looks like resin might be an option, too. You could try asking over at theRPF (replica prop forum), also. There are a lot of people that do really amazing work with fiberglass and complicated things.

I'll talk to my boyfriend/propmaster tomorrow and see if he has any ideas. It's a whole different world going from dry costumes to must-be-waterproof! costumes, I'll tell you what.

Traveling Merman
01-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Is replica prop forum worth joining do you reckon?

Spindrift
01-28-2013, 08:58 AM
LOVE the helmet concept!

And yeah RPF is a nice forum. It has great resources and a lot of people in the professional SPFX business frequent there. I'm a member and I know Laamberry is. They have a lot of good content - it's just a LOT to go through since there is so much there.

Taniira
01-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm a member, but I'm not active in it as it's a bit daunting with as many amazing propmakers that are there. You could always join and just lurk, but everyone seems to be pretty helpful with questions. There's a ton of great resources in it.

Traveling Merman
01-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I wonder if someone would be upto the challenge of making the helmet on there? Obviously I'd pay them!

Taniira
01-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Volpin Props (http://www.volpinprops.com/) might be up for it, but he doesn't come cheap. I don't think anyone you could find of any caliber would, TBH. Not saying you don't, a lot of people don't realize how expensive custom props can be (and we've got the added issue of it needing to be waterproof), though someone might be willing to cut you a break just for the challenge of it, and it might be worth it anyway as otherwise you're wasting materials with the trial-and-error bit that comes with working with any new substance. Could be worth asking about, though you'd have to post in the "New Member Want to Buy Thread" so you may not get as much interest as messaging individual propmakers. I follow several on FaceBook; I should be able to flip through my pages at some point today and I'll PM you a couple of names if you like. I don't know any of them personally, just follow them :)

You're in the UK, right? I think I remember seeing that somewhere. I can ask some of my friends over there and see if anyone might know someone in the country to do it so you're not paying extravagant shipping!

Scapey
01-28-2013, 07:36 PM
*Delurks*

If I were making a helmet like that, I'd probably try to find something close to it, to then modify.
Neoprene and resin... Hm. I dunno, I'd lean more towards a rigid helmet than flexible. Perhaps base it on a cycling helmet or something?
Or do you really want it to be so streamlined and tight-fitting?

If so, perhaps neoprene and silicone - There's a vendor at Dragon*Con that Taniira and I bought little flexible dragons from last year... That may well be the best approach for you. Have the entire thing flexible, bending the little scaly dudes in to sit flush with your face once you've got the skullcap on.
I could have a go at it for you if you like, for the cost of materials.

Oh yeah, I'm her other half :)

drucilla
01-29-2013, 08:11 AM
God no!!! Lol it's not Disney canon, I'd be disciplined I'm sure!

Disney canon? Sorry never heard of it. Disney and discipine, they don't really sound like they'd go together very well, but I'm sure you could get into a lot of trouble for it. No doubt in my mind about that, it's just those two words don't fit for me... lol

drucilla
01-29-2013, 08:12 AM
discipline**

Traveling Merman
01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
Disney canon? Sorry never heard of it. Disney and discipine, they don't really sound like they'd go together very well, but I'm sure you could get into a lot of trouble for it. No doubt in my mind about that, it's just those two words don't fit for me... lol

Disney - the name of the company
Canon - in keeping with what they already have
Discipline - they're very strict, that's how they've got such high standards!

Xx

drucilla
01-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Wow, I feel stupid...

Mermaid Cascada
01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Omg I love it!

Mermaid Danielle
01-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Awesome!