PDA

View Full Version : Safest and easiest way to attach foot pockets to lexan?

Theobromine
01-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Hello everyone, I've been trying to come up with a way to make my own lexan monofin, but I keep getting hung up on the foot pockets. I keep reading how a lot of people say to "bolt" the pockets onto the lexan, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing this or what materials to use. Ideally I want something that is easy to obtain and not too expensive, and won't compromise the lexan by cracking it or something. Also, how does one bolt foot pockets on without leaving uncomfortable bolts sticking up into the foot pockets?? I am really confused about that part.

Also, for the foot pockets I was thinking of getting a pair of these Finis Zoomers Gold: http://www.amazon.com/FINIS-Yellow-Zoomers-Gold-Size/dp/B0043GWVNQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1359378362&sr=8-7&keywords=finis I swear I remember reading about someone on here who used them for foot pockets on a homemade monofin, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was or which thread it was. Argh. If anyone can enlighten me on how this process would work, I would be super appreciative!

Capt Nemo
01-30-2013, 12:24 PM
With mine I just built up the area around the footpockets and drilled and tapped them for the stainless screws.

After drilling and tapping, I added the bottom plate which covers the holes, so no screws sticking out!

Capt Nemo
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Also, look for truss head screws as they are lower profile than most other screws.

Theobromine
01-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Hmm. I've seen that before, and it's interesting. I could use the cover method for the screws on the outside/bottom of the fin, I suppose. But I want to use molded foot pockets rather than fabric ones like what you seem to have used. I always have trouble with things fitting my feet, so I wanted to try finding some that are molded to fit feet and try them on before actually making the monofin, rather than trying to make my own pockets. That being said, trying to bolt those molded footpockets (the ones I linked to) will be problematic, as that will leave the screw heads sticking up into the foot area, which would be uncomfortable and possibly dangerous. I'd prefer to avoid bolting anything at all, actually, but I have no idea how else to adhere rubber to lexan. Please let me know if you have any other ideas!

Theobromine
01-30-2013, 05:09 PM
...unless I ONLY bolted the part that sticks out beyond the toe area....but would that leave it too flimsy?

Mermaid Photine
01-30-2013, 06:48 PM
I bolted inside the foot pocket as well as around. Then, I covered the foot pocket with a small piece of neoprene, like a shoe insert.

Theobromine
01-30-2013, 08:19 PM
That's an interesting idea. How did you attach the neoprene inside the foot pocket? I just ordered those fins...if I had thought of that earlier I might have ordered a size up. What materials did you use for the foot pockets and monofin?

Mermaid Photine
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM
I used some bathroom caulking. I know it's not the best thing out there, but it seems to have done the trick during my test runs.

Theobromine
02-02-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm just worried that nothing will stick to the rubber of the footpocket fins I got. But I got some flathead screws so hopefully they won't stick up and irritate my feet.