PDA

View Full Version : how to do a sponsorship

Odette
01-31-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm currently calling for sponsors for this years water festival and i know how everyone keeps wanting to try this out so ill tell you how to do it right.
ive successfully gotten 3 yesterday and i have some for Mermaid Odette as well which you can see at my website:
http://www.mermaidodette.com/#!links/c16eh

A sponsorship is basically when an organization or business pays you to help them advertise their services and/or products commercially.
there is also in-kind sponsrship where you trade. for example:I get publicity in exchange for my services.

first off, are you a business or organization? you need to look and sound professional to get their attention.Do you have a website? logo? tagline?mission statement? you don't have to be either.
sometimes they notice a person has talent and/or a lot of views online and sponsors them. Its all about marketing together to get noticed, so if you become viral, you would have more of a chance to be sponsored too.

you then make a list of potential sponsors relevant to your event or business.look for ones that are in your area, those who have sponsored before are more likely to do so again.

places you don't want to try are private businesses like a place who gets work only from government officials or government agencys.

Its better to call first then send the packet( ill explain that) the phone call also checks if they are still in business.( i got one yesterday that was out of business for 2 years.)

do not call saying "hi, my name is mermaid ----" NO. someone told me thats ok but its totally unacceptable.
contact the president or ceo or if they have one, the marketing director.
tell them about your sponsorship.

they will ask:
"how much money are you asking?" thats up to you
"send me a one-sheet": a one sheet is a page about you or the festival
dont forget to explain why you are good to sponsor. they want exposure so you need to promise exposure. thats why events sell better than a mermaid who hasnt even started yet.

when they are interested, you send the sponsorship packet. the packet includes information on the organization or business and what you get for supporting.
it comes with rates too.

start with your one-sheet.this should include your mission statement and everything about you and your business.
then you explain the sponsorship opportunites
start out with "by supporting ----- you are supporting creativity(dont say creativity.needs to mean more)community based arts, children's imaginations, offering children the chance to live out their dreams
by swimming with a mermaid." stuff like that.

then you will have the chart of sponsorship benefits. they always have names for each amount.
ex: $1000mermaid tail $500 mermaid fins.

give them a way to pay you and make sure to get their preferred logo and other needed info (some places have more than one logo which is crazy but happens)

I wish you the best of luck. asking for a tail sponsorship without a tail to begin with will be extremely hard.You need to sell yourself big time.