PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Portland mers!/portland area

Mermaid Arianna
01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Hey Mers! So I pretty much dropped off of Mernetwork for a while, life gets busy. But anyways, I was thinking, a Mer meetup in Portland? I know there are a few of you already here, but those close by as well, all mers invited! But sometime in the summer it would be great to get together and freak some people out by the fountains! It would be great publicity for tailmaking mers and mermaids for hire, but it would also be really fun.... :D
But, ya anyone who's interested let me know and we can figure out a day, if anyone wants to come. I know summer is quite some time away but, being the 13 year old weirdo I am:$, I'm so ready to put on my tail OUTSIDE for a change. Plus, you can never be too prepared.:D

FreshWaterMermaid
02-05-2013, 01:30 AM
I was just thinking about getting a meet up organized for summer.
Are you thinking fountain just cause its public and outdoors or are you interested in a place to actually swim?
I know a really nice (and deep as well as shallow) lap/dive pool in Vancouver near Portland that I'm sure we could rent for a good deal...
^_^ of course its indoors so we wouldn't have to wait til summer lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

FreshWaterMermaid
02-09-2013, 02:24 AM
Awful quiet..........
BUMP?

Mermaid Arianna
02-10-2013, 02:25 PM
well, maybe by vote what we do, swim or hang out in fountains?

FreshWaterMermaid
02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Whatever works :)
I'm surprised at the silence on this topic... I know you and I aren't the ONLY Portland area mers... right???

Mermaid Arianna
02-15-2013, 10:58 PM
OMZ. I'M FREAKING OUT. I had an idea, what if we pitch it to "Portlandia" I can see it now, "Mermaid gathering in downtown Portland." lol, am I being over excited about this idea?

Mermaid Arianna
02-28-2013, 04:51 PM
hello? anyone home?

Morticia Mermaid
02-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Depending on where, I'd probably be able to make it. Portland is about 2 hours from me, Vancouver a bit further. I'd be game for actually being able to swim

Triton-Mahtlinnie
03-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I could probably make a Portland meetup, take the bus down from Seattle, if one gets planned.

FreshWaterMermaid
03-01-2013, 11:13 PM
I'd be game for actually being able to swim

Swimming would be awesome! It's been too long for me! :(

Mermaid Octavia
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
I just saw this and I hope I have a tail by the time the meet rolls around!

Mermaid Octavia
04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm working with Morti and she is kind enough to be making me a tail so I will have a tail in time for a meetup! :D

Mermaid Octavia
05-20-2013, 12:31 PM
I got my tail! I'm ready whenever you guys are. :D

FreshWaterMermaid
05-21-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm gonna get a hold of the Marshall community center to see if they'd allow fins (and tails) they have a awesome pool. That'd be one location option.
I did my scuba training there, it's nice and I'm sure tails wouldn't be a problem. :)
Any other location ideas would be cool too! Whatever works best for everyone! :)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Mermaid Octavia
05-21-2013, 10:00 AM
I found out yesterday that the pool off Durham and Highway 99 here in Tigard allows mermaids. :)

FreshWaterMermaid
05-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Nice!

Ponytales
05-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Hello! I just moved here earlier this year. Don't have a tail yet but planning to make a neoprene/sequin one once I have the funds.

FreshWaterMermaid
05-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Awesome! Welcome! Hopefully we can get a meet up arranged sometime this summer! I'm starting to think I should just host one?
I do have another tail I don't wear anymore that I'd be willing to loan out during meet ups. I didn't think about bringing it to share lol ^_^

Ponytales
05-25-2013, 07:25 PM
I'd be happy enough just to see other people's tails! Unfortunately its not likely I'll be able to try any on, at least not with success. I'm 6 feet tall and doublewide size butt, haha.

FreshWaterMermaid
05-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Wow! I thought I was tall lol ^_^ I'm 5'6" and have a ghetto booty myself ;)
I love seeing other people's tails too, so fun!

JaceAquarius
11-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Hey so I just found this. I'm a P-Town mer, though I have no tail currently. I do however have a monofin and love it! If anyone is interested in swimming sometime that would be fun! I'm a merman in my 20's btw's

Winged Mermaid
11-07-2013, 05:33 PM
There are lots of mermaids in Portland actually. There are two pod groups on FB, one of them is run by the Rouge Mermaids and most of them are in Portland. I'm on mobile so I'll post the links later.

Winged Mermaid
11-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Here are the groups:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/252896128117650/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/343902515683858/

JaceAquarius
11-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Thank you very much!! :dance:

SIF
11-28-2013, 03:07 AM
I'm not sure there ARE a lot of us in the area. Battleground lake would be a cool spot and it's usually pretty warm, year round. There's also Iris fountain, off of Jackson Ave. in Portland we could use. It's the one across from the theatre/dance hall with all the waterfalls and shturff... I'll be getting my tail sometime by March and look forward to the possibilty of meeting with others.

Whatever works :)
I'm surprised at the silence on this topic... I know you and I aren't the ONLY Portland area mers... right???

Mermaid Octavia
11-28-2013, 10:28 AM
I'm in the SW Portland area! :D

Dee Tal
11-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Still aiming for December for my monofin but probably not make my tail until February.

Little_Orca
12-05-2013, 04:03 AM
*random splashing for fun.*

FreshWaterMermaid
12-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure there ARE a lot of us in the area. Battleground lake would be a cool spot and it's usually pretty warm, year round. There's also Iris fountain, off of Jackson Ave. in Portland we could use. It's the one across from the theatre/dance hall with all the waterfalls and shturff... I'll be getting my tail sometime by March and look forward to the possibilty of meeting with others.

Battle Ground Lake is NOT where you wanna swim. It's had BAD 'e coli' problems. Nasty stagnant Lake. Unfortunately :/

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Ottery
06-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Ooh, I'd love to help organize a meet-up in Portland! I don't know how we'd get into a fountain or what one we'd want to swim in, but I think if we ask around we can find some information. Either way, it sounds fun!

Lily
06-18-2014, 01:46 AM
So I'm a total newb, don't have a tail yet but I've been doing a lot of research into making my own (got a lot of experience with molding and casting). I'd love to come to a meet-up, especially if anyone would be willing to let me have a good look at how their tail is constructed.

I've only lived in PDX for about a year so I'm afraid I don't know any good places to meet up. Is there a spot along the river that might be safe and accessible for swimming?

Mermaid Octavia
06-20-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't know about the river but depending on where you are, there are several heated pools that allow mermaids!

Lily
06-21-2014, 01:18 AM
I see kayakers in the river all the time so I'd assume it's fairly safe to swim in as long as you stay close to shore and out of the major shipping lanes. There are a few places close to Morrison bridge that might work - there's even a fountain where Salmon Street hits the river where mers could splash.

The DEQ says the water is safe for swimming, even downtown: http://www.oregon.gov/deq/WQ/Pages/swimwillametteriver.aspx

We could always crash this year's Big Float: http://www.thebigfloat.com/... But I know I'm going to be out of town that weekend. It sounds like a good spot for a meet up, though.

SIF
08-16-2014, 02:35 PM
So... I was downtown the other day and they had the fountain on at pioneer square, which was kinda loud in a waterfall-type way, and there were a bunch of small children leaning in and sticking in their arms and throwing in coins to make wishes and I thought, "Wow. What a great mermaidind spot...". So I went inside and asked if they thought that'd be allowed and the lady gave me a business card and directions to the people who are in charge of the square and are authorized to yay or nay on square activities, so that's a possibility...

SIF
08-16-2014, 02:37 PM
I LOVE the idea of craching the float though. We could pick a beach between the two points to load in at and join the floaters as they pass, then get out down-stream from where they get out...

Mermaid Sam
09-19-2014, 12:50 AM
So, seeing as this summer is pretty much over, we should start planning meetups and other mer-related events now. I totally agree with Lily and Nyssa on the Big Float idea. That sounds like it would be awesome!! Also, pretty much every fountain on the Portland waterfront would be awesome for mermaiding. I think our biggest challenge will be getting our tails on without anyone seeing. Some of us could also bring those pop-up canopies if necessary for shade. I hope this can work out!

SIF
10-02-2014, 12:43 AM
I've grown up swimming in battleground my entire life....