PDA

View Full Version : Paint for Neoprene?

ballerinamermaid
02-02-2013, 03:44 AM
I'm making a neoprene tail, and I'm wondering, what kind of paint is the best choice? Also, should I aim for neoprene with a nylon coating, or something else?

orca
02-15-2013, 05:49 AM
rubber paint is the best for neoprene
luk in googele rubber paint

Koral
02-15-2013, 11:50 AM
This is a good question I'd be curious to know, too. It's hard to find some actual brands, all I could find for myself was information, not rubber paint brands one could look into for colors.

Me, I'm going to try fabric paint but I want to find a decent sealant. I was looking at this: http://www.rubberizeit.com/ If its thinner variety can be used to seal pond liners, maybe it can be used to seal our mermaid tails? It's non toxic apprently, and can't be punctured. Think it would work?

orca
02-15-2013, 12:07 PM
rubber paint is for neopren and latex and boot is elastic is in all colors and not toxig

Koral
02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
That didn't really answer my added question but oh well! Thanks. xD

And Ballerina I'm assuming nylon coated might be better for applying paint? :) Otherwise it's just rubbery neoprene right? I'm not sure, haven't gotten my neoprene yet.

Mermaid Melusinah
02-15-2013, 12:52 PM
The neoprene will have a fabric layer over it. its more like a layer of the rubber between two layers of fabric. (idk if you knew or not, just making sure) that being said, you should be able to use a good fabric paint with it easily. and adding a sealer on top would be wise, better safe then sorry.

As far as brands, lumiere's is rather popular. there are others out there. but remember, especially when it comes to paints, its ok to splurge a little. because cheaper price WILL reflect a cheaper product, and this is definitely some thing that you want to last for a while. I DONT recommend things like puffy, squeezable fabric paints. as they are usually cheaper and made for things like t-shirts and will come off quickly. just make sure that you read and research your items before you buy/use. READ REVIEWS where you can find them. a manufacturer can say anything, but the customers will usually be 100% honest on things.

I hope this helped.

added... Koral the only concern that i would have with things like that would be making the tail stiff and harder to bend and swim in. there are fabric sealers out there. might do a google search.

Koral
02-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Melusinah what would you recommend for a topcoat sealant over the fabric paint? I can of course google some, but if you know any that would be cool.

And yeah I looked more at the rubberize it and it's black anyway. I found some other clear materials I could use as overcoat that stretch to 800% and don't harden, crack, etc. It's worth a trial on a swatch with stress and water tests anyway.

Lotus
02-19-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm using Jaquard Lumierre paints on my tail.
LOVE IT

Mermaid Melusinah
02-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Melusinah what would you recommend for a topcoat sealant over the fabric paint? I can of course google some, but if you know any that would be cool.

And yeah I looked more at the rubberize it and it's black anyway. I found some other clear materials I could use as overcoat that stretch to 800% and don't harden, crack, etc. It's worth a trial on a swatch with stress and water tests anyway.

As much as I wish I could offer a suggestion as to type, I can't. i'm not a tail maker and there fore can't really give/think of a good recommendation. >_< I would suggest looking to google for answers. I know a lot of people opt for heat sealing? I just am not 100% sure how that works really. Sorry >_<