PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Tail on a Budget

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-15-2011, 05:22 PM
I have not been mermaiding even an entire summer, and I already have a mer-protege in the form of one of my former students. She's a high school student who loves mermaids and is dying to get a tail now that she's seen mine. I have offered to help her make a tail, but right now she has only saved up about $80. I believe she is going to continue saving, but I would love to help her mer-dreams come true for her with her smaller budget. To that end, I was wondering if any of you had tips on how to cut costs for a fabric tail. Any tricks you've come up with to get things cheaper would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mermaid Photine
08-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Sign up for the email list for the local fabric store. Every once and a while, they give out these great 40/50/60% off coupons. Instead of $15 usd for a yard of lycra, it's $7.50 usd. Use the money saved to get a finis monofin. Work out a good way to cut the fabric. Depending on your size, you can line each piece adjacent by just putting the fluke part next to the other one's waist. That really reduces the ammount of fabric you need. The scraps can be used to make a top of cover an existing one. For sewing machines, all that is needed is one hat goes in a straight line. I couldn't find my ballpoint needle, so I just used a dull normal one. The fabric I got was from when I used to ice skate and my mom made my skating costumes (I injured the foot I landed on for jumps when I was 12, so skating no more.) I was lucky enough to find a piece that would fit my pattern, but I otherwise could have pieced a bunch of scraps together, like a quilt. (Probably would've required a zigzag stitch.) If you know anyone that dances or skates and makes their own dresses (or really anyone who sews) ask for their little scraps. They make awesome fringe. :)

I am so excited to hear of another high school mermaid! I just made my first tail, and I wish your friend good luck!

Moonflower
08-15-2011, 08:24 PM
When sewing a stretchy material it's always best to either use a stitch that stretches a bit too, like a zig-zag or my personal favorite one that looks kinda like this:
-----
/\/\/
-----

I agree with Pandorah about getting coupons, as they can help out with cost greatly. Also, if your local WalMart has a fabric section, check it out. On occasion they will get bolts of spandex in the 2.00/yard section and, while it may not be the color you want, is a great option for a practice tail.

Also, I would recommend checking out local swim or dive shops (if you have them around) for a cheap yet comfortable set of fins you can cover. If you don't have any in your area, look around online. You don't HAVE to go the monofin route with your first tail. Look at the Weekie Watchee girls - they use standard swim fins under the fabric!

Also (and I'm not trying to attack anyone, just educate!) Lycra is a brand name, spandex is the material, which is made by many different companies. It's like calling all sodas "Coke" ^_^

Mermaid Photine
08-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Lycra? Spandex? gah. The two seem to be used interchangably. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Your walmart still has their fabric section? Lucky! Ours stopped carrying everything sewing realted. I don't know why; my crafty friends and I quite miss it.

I saw a thread in the monofin section about someone who made a monofin out of normal fins, plastic, and duct tape. Plastic sheet can get really expensive, but maybe you can think of some good alternatives (plastic bin lids maybe?) Found the thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?330-Making-monofins-out-of-old-swim-fins!

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Since I already have thread, a sewing machine, and swimmer's elastic she can use, I'm thinking she might be able to afford a Wave monofin (yay for little feet!) with the mermaid20 code on Finis. I have found some fabric she likes on Spandexworld.com for about $7/yard, so I'm thinking we might be able to make this work after all, even with a monofin.

My sewing machine does not have that stitch Flower, but it does have a zigzag stitch, which is what I used. After I finished everything I went back and sewed right over where I'd sewed before just to make sure it would hold, and so far so good on my own tail.

Moonflower
08-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Yes, always double stitch, just in case ^_^

I'm not sure what you mean by swimmer's elastic - do you mean the clear elastic? I've never seen it wider than 1/4" and it usually doesn't have much strength to it... Would you be using it for the top waistband? If so, you might want to look into trying some non-roll elastic, at least 1" wide. When you measure it to the person you're making it for, remember to stretch it like mad because under water it will lose a lot of it's hold.

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-16-2011, 04:57 PM
Yes, always double stitch, just in case ^_^

I'm not sure what you mean by swimmer's elastic - do you mean the clear elastic? I've never seen it wider than 1/4" and it usually doesn't have much strength to it... Would you be using it for the top waistband? If so, you might want to look into trying some non-roll elastic, at least 1" wide. When you measure it to the person you're making it for, remember to stretch it like mad because under water it will lose a lot of it's hold.
I don't know another name for it, but it's not clear; it's a white elastic band and it's about an inch wide. I used it for my tail and it seems to work fine.

Mermaid Saphira
11-30-2011, 07:23 PM
did you ever finish her tail? are there any pictures?

malinghi
11-30-2011, 10:08 PM
As far as I know the finis wave is the cheapest monofin out there. With the code mermaid20 you get 20% off, so instead of $50 its $40, plus shipping.

Aside from that you could try making a monofin or trying to use regular swim fins, but I don't think that would be much cheaper than $40.

Mermaid Jewel
12-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I have gotten spandex for $2.50 a yard...I go through the clearance section on fabric stores a lot. I've actually seen spandex (called swimmer-dancer fabric) quite a few times, though most of it is the really thin one you'd probably have to double up. But my navy blue tail, all the fabric cost me about $10 I believe. And I watched for sales on spandexworld and got 7 yards of neoprin for around $20-$25...so if you watch out and keep looking you can find cheap fabric!

Btw, the easiest way to find the swimmer-dancer fabric in clearance sections, especially like JoAnn's is to feel the fabric and not look for labels.

taom
12-01-2011, 12:37 AM
That is really good advice, Jewel. I would also add that if you are buying online, google the name of the site you are buying from + the word coupon. There are a couple sites out there that collect things like that. I got 3 yards of neoprene from Joann's for less than $30 that way. Sometimes people will put up in-store coupons, too.