PDA

View Full Version : Something fun to play with! Airswimmers!

ide
08-16-2011, 02:48 AM
Maybe everyone has already seen these and I'm behind the times, but I just stumbled upon "AirSwimmers" and couldn't help but think that they would be a fantastic addition to an on-land mermaid performance.

Given the non-walking nature of mermaid performing, I'm assuming the presence of a "handler/assistant" who helps carry the mermaid at the show, and I think that leaving *them* in charge of the remote control would be fun and more discreet than having the mer use it themselves. Then, you could effectively have a flying fish puppet to interact with. I bet kids would love it.

Anyway, I was amused by the idea, so I thought I'd share. Take a peek:

http://airswimmers.com/

They say they aren't intended for outdoor use, so I'm guessing they're no good in the wind, but, there's still a lot that could be done. :)

MermaidAubrin
08-16-2011, 03:20 AM
Super cool I think the Flitter Fairies are also pretty cool

Aquatarian
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
OMG! I was just gonna start a thread on this LOL!

I think these are awesome and a MUST for any future mer-get-togethers! I could have sworn I tried to invent something similar when I was like 5. haha

But in all seriousness this is an awesome product that entertains and amazes people and is still super simple. I love it!

MermaidAubrin
08-16-2011, 01:47 PM
OMG! I could have sworn I tried to invent something similar when I was like 5. hahaHaha don't we all :D

Mermaid Photine
08-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Now we just need ones we can ride- can you imagine riding a sea serpent through the air in your mer tail? What an enterance that would be!

MermaidAubrin
08-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Now we just need ones we can ride- can you imagine riding a sea serpent through the air in your mer tail? What an enterance that would be! O_O whoever invents that will be my new God!!!

ide
08-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Super cool I think the Flitter Fairies are also pretty cool

Their add campaign is great (I'm like.. a marketing fetishist), but the flitter faeries themselves break far too easily. The illusion is created with nearly invisible threads (one of the oldest tricks in the book) and I broke mine in about 5 minutes of delicate play. I can't imagine they would ever survive in a child's hands.

...It was a gift, before you ask. The toys I buy are usually larger things, like tails, fire-poi and jumping stilts. I don't actually collect plastic faeries. -_-;

Aquatarian
08-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Their add campaign is great (I'm like.. a marketing fetishist), but the flitter faeries themselves break far too easily. The illusion is created with nearly invisible threads (one of the oldest tricks in the book) and I broke mine in about 5 minutes of delicate play. I can't imagine they would ever survive in a child's hands.

Yeah I thought they actually found a way to give the figurines actual air lift rather than hanging them from strings. Kind of a let down but it is still a very nice idea.

And I think it would be a cool idea to expand this and try for other types of creatures like jellyfish or manta rays!

Mermaid Photine
08-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Ridable manta ray- kinda like a magic carpet!

sorry! I can't let the ridable idea go!

Aquatarian
08-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Ridable manta ray- kinda like a magic carpet!

sorry! I can't let the ridable idea go!

lol. "Hey joe how'd you get to work today!"

"Manta Ray"
"O_0"

ide
08-16-2011, 06:49 PM
lol. "Hey joe how'd you get to work today!"

"Manta Ray"
"O_0"

YES! Haha, man, that would be a great way to show up to gigs. "Do you need someone to carry you from the car?" "Oh, no, my flying manta ray will do it."

Aquatarian
08-16-2011, 06:56 PM
AHHH! I found one!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxPzodKQays&feature=related

Mermaid Photine
08-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Anyone knowledgeable in air balloons or zeplins? How much helium or hot air do you need to lift an average person? (plus tail, of course.) :D

ide
08-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Festo's air creatures are incredible, but they only work because they're lightweight, so it's far from being able to lift a person. I think their albatross is the nicest, personally. :)

Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained!
12-21-2011, 11:18 AM
I think a seahorse or hippocampus would be an impressive mount (less cumbersome than a seahorse, less likely to stiny you than a manta ray), though an octopus of some sort would be cool. However, as far as ridable mounts, I wonder if you could construct one that was sealife-shaped (a ray might be fairly easy, actually) out of one of those homemade hovercrafts

http://amasci.com/amateur/hovercft.html

taom
12-21-2011, 02:38 PM
I am so getting my boyfriend to build one of those. That is too cool and too easy not to have one.

Blaze
12-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Heehee, I have the clownfish air swimmer. :)