PDA

View Full Version : Help please, Advice on cutting a Competitor monofin?

Naiad Rose
02-04-2013, 12:59 AM
I've seen several people mention that they were able to cut their Competitor monofins with a Dremel, but I have not seen any details specified beyond that.

Could anyone please clarify what Dremel attachments they have used to cut a Finis Competitor Monofin? Did the regular cutting wheels work, or did you need to look for some kind of special sawblade? Did you use the sanding wheels? Polishing stones? Have to go from one grit of anything to another grit in steps?

I'd really like to know, I want to try cutting mine but I can't afford to screw it up (took a long time to snag an ebay auction I could afford). I'd really like to know exactly what it takes before I start so I don't mess up. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mermaid Danielle
02-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Check out the thread about monofins and/or tail making! There is a ton of information on there!

PS- your avatar is amazing!

Naiad Rose
02-04-2013, 07:27 AM
I have already been through all the threads on Monofins and Tail Making that I can find, but all I have seen is people just mentioning Dremels for the Competitor with no details. :(
I would really like to know the details, all the needed cutters & sanders, and the full process.

Also, Thanks :) It's the painting Kiss of the Siren [II] by Gustav Wertheimer.

Kanti
02-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Well a dremel is an electric saw that you can use to cut it. Harbor Frieght sells a lot of cheap cutters that would
be able to get through a monofin just fine for like, $20 or $30 I believe, so maybe you can get one of those if you
don't have a dremel. They're called multi-tools, I believe. Oscilating Multi-tools are great because then you can
buy a cutting tip and a sanding tip, or sometimes they come with those already.

Generally, I assume you should draw the shape of your tail out over the monofin first with a marker or something so
you know where to cut and whatnot. Avoid V shapes when you choose a shape, as they are easier to tear, so a simple
fix is to just gently slope any hard V shapes into more of a curve.

Then I think all you have to do is secure the monofin in place while you cut it so it won't move all over the place.
After you're done, it'll probably be all rough around the edges so take your handy sanding tip and sand it down!

Naiad Rose
02-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Hi, Thanks so much :)

I actually do already have a Dremel, and several variety packs of attachment tips. I do a lot of random projects under a variety of hobbies, but I have only learned as much as I have encountered under specific project goals. Like, I've only recently gotten a set of jewelry tips made for drilling stone and shell that I had not previously known to look for. There's always more to learn. So I was just hoping that someone might have some thoughts to share on what worked well for them on a Finis Competitor regarding what sort of cutting tips were needed and maybe in what order to use various grit sanding tips.

AniaR
02-04-2013, 05:39 PM
competitors are a different thickness and very stiff to you'll need something strong. There is a thread called how not to cut a monofin that you should read, it teaches you about the shape you need to cut. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Naiad Rose
02-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks :) I've seen the posts about how not to cut a monofin, and then I kind of panicked because my first Rapid had exactly the kind of notch cut that was warned against. I had ordered it from AquaTails, I guess you could call the kind of cut they like to use whale-like? It's sort of straight across with the very pointed notch at the center.

I started off just trying to round that out just in case, but then I just ended up re-cutting the monofin anyway, as I had found out how simple it is to cut a Rapid with tin snips. I worry a little bit about how much surface area of the Rapid is sacrificed for the shape, but I really do like the shape so much better. Now I just have to figure out what balance of surface area and shape to work out for the Competitor. :)

Naiad Rose
02-10-2013, 08:23 PM
So this is how my cut Finis Competitor turned out. I hope I have maintained a suitable surface area for swimming power white trying to get my preferred shape. :)

I have seen cut Competitors with a deeper cut, such as in this video here for comparison: http://youtu.be/UjdHVyPYb0Y
(I only hope that I could move that well eventually.)

This was definitely one of my most nerve wracking projects ever. But it seems to have gone all right. I ended up using a standard Dremel cutting wheel from front to back, essentially tracing my outline by making a dotted line with the cutting wheel, except that the dots needed to connect. A standard Dremel kit came with 2 grits of sanding rounds in 1/2" diameter. I used the coarser grit for some final shaping, & the finer to smooth it out. Ended off with a piece of 220 grit sandpaper, used by hand.

I can't wait to get it in the water. I hope everything goes well. :)

Aro Mermaid
08-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Hey, my sister and I are also at this step of making our tails, but we've already figured out cutting our fins into shape. What we're concerned about now are all the ridges on the Rapid fin. I want to dremel them down so that the monofin is a flat surface inside the fluke, but my sister is concerned that will ruin the stability and the monofin will break. The large thick ridges on the sides are a particular concern.

Anyone know how dremeling those down will affect the strength and integrity of the monofin? Big concern of ours, thanks!

PearlieMae
08-06-2016, 10:41 AM
It will make it weaker and prone to breaking across the fin. I've broken two! Other mers might have different experiences, though.

Aro Mermaid
08-06-2016, 10:54 AM
That's a bummer, because it's really messing up the way the fluke looks. Would it be better perhaps to just get different monofins? I know the Competitor monofins are completely flat, but are much more expensive.

PearlieMae
08-06-2016, 11:55 AM
Think of it this way...if the fin costs $200, and you swim in it ten times, that's 20 bucks a swim. If, over the course of your tail's useful lifespan, you swim in it a hundred times, that's $2.00 per swim.

Ask yourself, is your tail worth the investment? How much do you realistically think you'll use it? How annoyed would you be after a few swims, your fin breaks? How much will it bother you every time you look at your fluke and think "I don't like that"?

It's your choice, obviously, but do consider all the angles.

Aro Mermaid
08-06-2016, 12:03 PM
I get your logic. But I just can't afford a competitor monofin. I'd have to save for months and I'm about to make a big move across the country. I know people have made tails using the Finnis Rapid, I just don't know how they deal with the edges. Maybe they don't. I'm not sure.

Mermaid Fenicia
08-06-2016, 01:52 PM
That's way I like to use my Triton (small size like a wave, and Hydra for the bigger sizes like a rapid) in my tails as it has only a ridge on the edge ;)

Aro Mermaid
08-06-2016, 03:41 PM
So you leave the ridges on the edges? Those ridges in particular are the ones we're having a problem with, as they're so thick they're making bumps under our fins when we put them together

Mermaid Fenicia
08-06-2016, 05:35 PM
The ridges on a Triton and Hydra aren't very high and easy to hide under a ridge or vain of your fluke ;)

Aro Mermaid
08-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Ah, gotcha. That's a bummer. The Rapid has REALLY thick ridges and my fluke it 4 feet wide. So there's no hiding the ridges in the fluke

We're thinking of getting some Suntail monofins instead, as they're a similar size and more sturdy with WAY smaller ridges. Have you guys tried those at all? From what I've read they're surprisingly durable and the side ridges are really small.

Mermaid Fenicia
08-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Here you can see my blue Wave on top of my translucent Triton, they are both the same size and it's the same wit a Hydra and rapid ;)

Mermaid Lisa
12-10-2016, 11:47 PM
So this is how my cut Finis Competitor turned out. I hope I have maintained a suitable surface area for swimming power white trying to get my preferred shape. :)

I have seen cut Competitors with a deeper cut, such as in this video here for comparison: http://youtu.be/UjdHVyPYb0Y
(I only hope that I could move that well eventually.)

This was definitely one of my most nerve wracking projects ever. But it seems to have gone all right. I ended up using a standard Dremel cutting wheel from front to back, essentially tracing my outline by making a dotted line with the cutting wheel, except that the dots needed to connect. A standard Dremel kit came with 2 grits of sanding rounds in 1/2" diameter. I used the coarser grit for some final shaping, & the finer to smooth it out. Ended off with a piece of 220 grit sandpaper, used by hand.

I can't wait to get it in the water. I hope everything goes well. :)

Hello Naiad Rose! Your video of you swimming in your cut competitor fin is ahhmazing! I'm smiling and happy from watching it. The cut came out great. You are brave and inspiring! Thank you. I'm researching getting a new fin. I'm looking at waterway monofins especially the nemo wing and glide. I know there are some other companies as well. I'm wondering how comfortable the finis competitor footpockets are. Could you let me know please? Also, do have other monofins that you could compare it too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk