PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Ariel from DragonCon 2011

Taniira
02-05-2013, 04:58 PM
For Dragon*Con 2011 I did a steampunk-inspired Ariel (I was with a group that did Steampunk Disney princess costumes) and I wanted to post a few pictures of how it turned out. There's another different group doing SP Disney again so I'm planning on bringing it back, though I might add an actual tail if we're just going to be hanging out in the same area for a while for photos.

It was supposed to be mermaid Ariel, and the idea was to have the tank so she could "breathe" water. The scales are from Raven's shop -- before she started making tails!

The first two photos are (c) Paul Cory Photography. The last one my friend took while we were at Dragon*Con night at the Georgia Aquarium. I think it's my favorite from all of my Ariel photos.

Ashe
02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Really cool! I love the water tank touch to it :)

Thalassa
02-05-2013, 09:58 PM
LOVE that water tank! I've been asked to be a mascot for the local steam-fest, so I need to steam up my mer stuff. I'm more into Lolita than steam punk, so I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.

Disfusional
03-02-2013, 02:14 PM
That is wicked sweet!!!!!!!! Love everything about that costume from the tank, mask and scales!

Mermaid Melusinah
03-02-2013, 02:21 PM
ooo oo i saw these pics flosting around the webs the other day! You look so awesome!!! I'm a HUGE steampunk fan!!

MermaidBrittany
03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Wow that looks really cool! I Especially love the idea that she breaths water, very creative

Taniira
03-02-2013, 07:41 PM
ooo oo i saw these pics flosting around the webs the other day! You look so awesome!!! I'm a HUGE steampunk fan!!

Really? Do you remember where? I've never seen my costume pics posted anywhere before (except the odd one in the 10K+ DragonCon Flikr pools).

Thanks for all the comments! I'm bringing it back with me this year for another Disney Steampunk group. I have to seal the top of the tank where the bolts meet as it was splashing out as I walked and I'm debating on remaking my skirt since it's stained from the splashing. I might make a proper tail for some photos, too.

Interesting fact: there's actually a straw running from the tank all the way into the mask :D

As I was writing this my boyfriend informed me I'm on the top line of Google image search for "Steampunk Ariel". I squeed. Lots.

Marilla
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
I am a huge steampunk fan, and Ariel is my childhood idol, this crossover really turned out amazingly beautiful! Great work!

Josephine123
12-12-2013, 08:52 PM
LOL~~~Not bad,But I don't like the dresses,I like long dresses cosplay!!!:)

_

Miyu
01-10-2014, 08:50 PM
That is the most brilliant way to carry water bottles EVER. I drink like a fish, but think it's so out-of-character to always be carrying water/soda bottles around. The mask also solves derp face worries :P

SO AMAZING. I WANT TO MAKE.

I also *love* all the little scales all over! You look like a "dangerous" Ariel :D