PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Tail -- Leave Fluke Open?

Taniira
02-08-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm planning on making my first lycra tail, and it's a bit ambitious for my first tail and for a fabric tail (but that's just how I roll). Some tutorials say to just leave the fluke open at the bottom but I've noticed a lot of people sew/velcro the bottom closed. The only reason I can think of not to leave it open is so it's not gaping open on land. Is there some other practical reason not to leave it open? I ask because it would be easiest for me to leave it open, but I have an idea how to do it closed.

(My apologies if this was addressed somewhere, I ran a search but couldn't find it.)

Mermaid Hamant
02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Leaving it open certainly makes it easier to get the monofin in and out. I left the bottom open on my first tail. If you are going to want to take photos with your tail flicked up behind you however, it is really hard with an open bottom tail to keep the monofin from showing in that sort of shot.

Mermaid Wesley
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
i suggest sewing a few snaps. theyll holdit shut but wont be too much work

Ariel-Starfish
02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
My first tail was from the2tails.com a momofin with lycra fabric and with the fluke closed. loved it!

Mermaid Fenicia
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
All my fabric tails (except my black one) have a zipper to close the fluke. That way I easily can remove/put in my monofin. ;) If you close the zipper and push the puller to the inside, nobody will notice the zipper ;)

Taniira
02-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll consider my options!

Zelly
02-08-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm actually kind of glad you asked this. I'm working on a fabric one soon myself.

MermaidIsis
02-08-2013, 06:56 PM
It depends, if your not planning on removing the monofin regularly than leave it open, but if you want to leave it in than put small stiches to hold it close(that will allow water to exit your tail)
good luck!!!!!!!

devilkitten1
02-08-2013, 08:13 PM
I sewed in velcro. If you decide to use velcro sew with a really sharp needle.

Spindrift
02-08-2013, 09:58 PM
My first fabric tail had a zipper.

FreshWaterMermaid
02-09-2013, 12:28 AM
With my first swimmable tail, made out of tablecloth vinyl, even though it fit well and the fluke covered the monofin completely. While swimming it's very noticeable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ-2jANNh7M&feature=youtube_gdata_player
As you can see here

I would definitely say seal it up. I like being able to take my monofin out so all my tails have had a zipped since my vinyl tail.

Since your tail is gonna be lycra, I'd go with Velcro instead. A zipper would be too noticeable I'd think, whereas the velcro could lay more flat and be more light.
Good luck! Have fun!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

MerAnthony
02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
The answer depends on what type of monofin you have. If you have a wave you can almost roll the monofin like a taco and stick it in if the fluke is closed. But if you have a different type of monofin that you can not roll up then using velcro or snaps or even a zipper would work. Now I have a few fabric tails and as a word of advice leave a few small holes when you sew it up that way when you swim in it that the air in the tail escapes an your tail does not blow up like a balloon when you go underwater.