PDA

View Full Version : Fishy Business: How to be a Mermaid

Pages : [1] 2

AniaR
02-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I thought I'd start a new thread, since my first one was all about the planning and seeing what people thought. I'm almost finished my book and I've been doing lots of editing and re-writes now. I've been approached by several publishers but I'm still leaning toward self publishing to keep the cost low and have more control over formats. I'm hoping to have the book available in hard and soft cover, e-book, and we're looking into doing a cool audiobook version too haha! My tentative launch date is Spring 2013. I'll be done before then, but I want to give myself enough time for finishing touches.

I've had a panel of well known mers, and established writers, and editors helping me out along the way giving me great feedback. Carolyn Turgeon is also going to be writing a forward in for me. I've been working my butt off to make sure this is as COMPREHENSIVE as possible. It includes things not found online anywhere, huge expansion on things that are "common knowledge", stuff I've invented and haven't shared publicly, a large resource section for reference, along with personal biographical stories :) We take a look in depth at all the stuff you need to get in order before you go pro, how to go pro, and how to make the most of things once you're pro. I give loads of info on types of gigs and how to get them, dealing with the media, money management, professional development, and how to make money outside of just gigs. I give detailed tutorials on how to deal with common issues and some personal anecdotes.

I'm hoping the book will appeal to people who want to become a pro mer or develop their persona and business, along with people who are simply interested in the whole world and maybe learning a bit about me. A lot of what I've compiled can apply to other professional work and performing as well. I know not everyone on mernetwork may feel this is the book for them, and that's okay :) But even some well known and established mermaids are really stoaked for it, so I'm hoping once it gets out and people get to review it some of you on the fence may be more interested ;) Either way, I know many of you are already established and wont be buying- I just hope you help me celebrate :)

I plan on doing some fun giveaways and video things to go along with the release, I've got some media lined up too. Oh yes, and after input from my fanpage I finally decided on a name...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427337_548812521820162_1302130677_n.jpg

Really excited :) Even if it doesn't sell like crazy, this whole process has been so amazing and really helped me fine-tune myself and realize how much I've got to offer. <3

Spindrift
02-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Yay!! I'm so excited!!

MerEmma
02-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Woo! I'll definitely have to buy it. =D

Bellasea
02-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Congratulations Raina!

Mermaid Hamant
02-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Excited!! I definitely want to buy it! :)

ButterflyVision
02-09-2013, 09:37 PM
I cant wait for the release! I will certainly buy it!

Mermaid Lorelei
02-09-2013, 10:31 PM
So wonderful!

leeloo
02-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Sounds awesome! I'll have to buy this as well. :)

spottedcatfish
02-10-2013, 03:52 AM
Looking forward to it.

Lois
02-10-2013, 04:42 AM
What a clever name for the book :) Well done looks like it will be an interesting read

Aino Revontuletar
02-10-2013, 06:59 AM
This is fantastic! I will be buying it! :D

Mermaid Kassandra
02-10-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm so happy for you!!!And so excited too!!!I'll buy it for sure! :D
I can't wait!

Thalassa
02-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Love it! I'm super excited for you, and I hope the audiobook comes into fruition. Would you be the one reading it? I'd buy it (I love your Canadian accent, lol).

telzey.amberdon
02-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Autographed editions? Fin print, tail print?

AniaR
02-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure about the logistics behind autographed ones. I want to sell using a company that is print on demand, instead of print a whole wack. Easier for my wallet, for everyone else, and the environment. I will probably purchase a few myself, sign them, then sell them- though I'll lose a bit of money from the extra SH back and forth etc.

Mermaid Momo
02-10-2013, 01:45 PM
you could possibly take preorders, and charge a bit more for them since after all, these will be autographed, and buy a few extra to autograph and sell as well.(maybe the company you want to print with has any specials on printing/buying in bulk?)

Alveric
02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Be sure to include an ebook version. My book has sold five times the copies in ebook as it has hard copy.

roamingmer
02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
You might want to check out the website http://www.thecreativepenn.com/ - essentially Alveric is correct. If you self publish then using Amazon etc is the best way to go. If you send me a PM I can forward the links to a recent 'self publishing' workshop I attended, Lots of good tips on how to generate the initial marketing buzz; and the use of constructive keywords to keep the book in the top 10 (for your genre) for a while. E.g. try to get cross linked. For example Joanna's books are listed in Religious Fiction but don't have religious overtones. However it allows her to cross market her output it has higher rankings than on Adventure / Thriller.

AniaR
02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Be sure to include an ebook version. My book has sold five times the copies in ebook as it has hard copy.

Yes I expect that, and honestly I prefer it. :)

You might want to check out the website http://www.thecreativepenn.com/ - essentially Alveric is correct. If you self publish then using Amazon etc is the best way to go. If you send me a PM I can forward the links to a recent 'self publishing' workshop I attended, Lots of good tips on how to generate the initial marketing buzz; and the use of constructive keywords to keep the book in the top 10 (for your genre) for a while. E.g. try to get cross linked. For example Joanna's books are listed in Religious Fiction but don't have religious overtones. However it allows her to cross market her output it has higher rankings than on Adventure / Thriller.

Thanks, I'm not toooo concerned about staying on top etc. I recognize that this is a very specific and small market. I don't expect to sell loads and loads and make a bunch of money :p I've had some publishers approach me, but like I said I think going the way I have planned will work the best for the most people :)

Usagi
02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
I have a feeling that once you've published it, we are going to have many new members. Haha good luck with the finishing touches! Hope everything turns out well :)

roamingmer
02-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Dont forget self publishing 2.0 means you own all rights. If you have an agent publisher they aften write into contracts that they also get a commision for books you sell on your own; or via electronic mediums / films / etc.
Whilst the book is a work of love, why not let it also live freely - sure a printed book is great for family friends and ego (dont be shy n try to deny). Just additional 0.2€ worth

AniaR
02-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Dont forget self publishing 2.0 means you own all rights. If you have an agent publisher they aften write into contracts that they also get a commision for books you sell on your own; or via electronic mediums / films / etc.
Whilst the book is a work of love, why not let it also live freely - sure a printed book is great for family friends and ego (dont be shy n try to deny). Just additional 0.2€ worth

Exactly :) one of the big reasons I'd prefer self publish over publisher.

Mermaid Marissa
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
So COOL!!!!! I'll be sure to buy it

drucilla
02-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Where would we buy it? Will it be sold on here?

AniaR
02-12-2013, 04:38 PM
It will be sold online :)

leeloo
02-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Hey Raina, I sent you a message on Facebook about your book....I didn't see a way to private message you on here

Mermaid Lorelei
02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Yup, I'm totally going to need an autographed copy.

drucilla
02-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey Raina, I sent you a message on Facebook about your book....I didn't see a way to private message you on hereClick on her screen name (left side of post) a box shows up click private message. :)

Ashe
02-12-2013, 08:13 PM
^ You can also have a setting where only admins and friends can PM you. That might be it.
Also, I am soooooooooooooooooo excited for the book to come out!!!! Congrats on doing this, it's really an accomplishment to get a book published :)

AniaR
02-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Sorry, I've been too busy and ill to respond to PMs I'm swamped with them right now and emails.

Kanti
02-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Awesome!
How long is it, Raina??
You must've been working on it for quite a while! I mean, I imagine books take a long time
to write regardless x__x

AniaR
02-12-2013, 09:54 PM
my resource section isn't finished yet (huge time consuming cross referencing thing x_X it's killing me) but so far, I just passed 31,000 words X_X That's just one of the draft versions. I've been going back and forth with editors, some things have been trimmed down but more than often they're being beefed up. I think I'm also going to go back through when it's all finally edited and look at some separate personal stories I have typed up to see if they parallel well with any of the info I've put in. I think when it's all said and done it'll be 40-45k words + images. :) That's also no including Carolyn's forward. That'll translate to different page lengths depending on the medium. It's going to be great though. At this point I feel like I'm about to have a baby LOL all this cooking now I just wanna get it out there ahahah

Talia
02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Congratulations Raina!

mermaid mandy117
02-17-2013, 08:10 PM
This is awesome! Will have to get!:)

Ariel-Starfish
02-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Congrats! If it's possible, I'm hoping to get a signed copy <3 U are my mer-idol ^^

Mermaid_Aurora
02-20-2013, 09:56 AM
I have wanted to buy this book from you ever since I first noticed it on facebook. I'll definitely be purchasing a copy when it's released!

AniaR
02-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm so glad people are so interested, I've been putting so much into it. I really hope it lives up to expectation! :)

AniaR
04-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Thought I'd give you a little update!

I am planning on publishing in May and I am super excited. So far the book is 140 pages! (I say so far because it's being edited and formatted still) I bought my own font which is super cool, learned all about the ins and outs of formatting, getting an ISBN, and all that other fun stuff!

Originally I was planning on going with createspace- a self publishing platform through Amazon. Unfortunately I found out it's rather difficult for anyone who is not from the USA to use them, as they don't register with any other tax organizations besides the IRS. (I would need the CRA) This means, the IRS takes all my money :O unless I fly/drive down to the USA and get some papers notorized in person, after I apply for a TAX # which'll take weeks and loads of money. So not very fun, and way more money than I was hoping to invest in a book. And of course, it was very difficult to find out this information, not exactly something they advertise clearly... so...

I went with another self publishing platform because they are done through CRA- and that's Lulu. The only downside to Lulu is that they charge 2 fees. A manufacturing fee and a Lulu fee. Whereas Createspace only charged a few bucks per book, Lulu charged 10-15$. I wont be able to have the book as inexpensive as I wanted :( at least in hard copy. (and this was still the best one I could find that cooperated with CRA) IN addition, Lulu charges almost 500$ upfront to convert into ebook format and distribute. So I found an alternative way to do the e-books in which I set the price and make the majority of the money back- hence being able to sell much much cheaper than if I had to pay the 500$

So, the hard copy will still be there for people who don't mind paying a few $$, but the e-book will be much more affordable, and obviously no wait time for shipping and handling :D

Here's a sneak peek from an earlier draft on the content covered in the book:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/576016_571121136255967_927880445_n.jpg

I'm hoping it'll meet everyone's expectations. I'm so excited to almost be done, it's like having a baby or something haha. :)

We're doing the cover photo shoot on the 21st, and it's going to be super cool and a neat concept. Very excited to do it, and I'll probably reveal it on my FB instead of waiting for the book launch because I don't want to wait XD

telzey.amberdon
04-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Tail flip! Waiting, waiting, wait....

Mermaid Kelda
04-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Looks super comprehensive! I can't wait to see the final product :)

Tasha Mermaid
04-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Oh Raina this is such a good idea, how exciting for you.
sign me up for a autographed hardback copy PLEASE :D
i am all about supporting my friends and fellow artist/musician/author's.
i think even if some mer's here feel they dont need it, it is still important to support our community and our fellow mer's, and if buying a book (i adore books) helps then i am more then happy to buy it and recommend it to anyone who is interested :D.

Ariel-Starfish
04-11-2013, 11:13 AM
YAY can't wait!

Aziara
04-22-2013, 05:02 PM
When will the book be out? I think if I could show them that yes, people actually make money this way, my mom and husband might think I was less crazy to want to make a tail and do birthday parties. I mean, summer lasts for 8-9 months where I live, and 1 out of 3 people have pools.
anyway, I want to buy it when it comes out.

Carolina Mermaid
04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Likewise! My mother feels I can't make money out of this

Mermaid Pickles
04-22-2013, 08:00 PM
I am most definitely going to buy the book! I'm super happy for you, Raina!

AniaR
04-22-2013, 09:04 PM
May. I was supposed to do the photoshoot for the book cover tonight- but we had a family emergency :( So I don't have the exact date for everyone yet. But yeah, May :) Very excited to get it out there!

Thalassa
04-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Oh, dear. I hope everything is all right!

As you know, I'm looking forward to the book. :D

(My birthday is May 28th. How cool would this be to get myself as a birthday present?! *squee*)

AniaR
04-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Here's our cover mock-up!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482598_10152878816030425_1557122153_n.jpg

telzey.amberdon
04-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Will it be a whale of a tail? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Ashe
04-29-2013, 10:02 PM
So cool!!! It looks lovely :)

Mermaid Pickles
04-29-2013, 10:44 PM
EEEEE! -practically spazzing I'm so happy- I can't wait!
And does his shirt say Mermaid Wrangler? ><

AniaR
04-29-2013, 11:09 PM
it does indeed say mermaid wrangler :D haha

Mermaid Pickles
04-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Niiiiicce....Say, I have a spontaneous question. Do you ever get snagged for photos nonstop for hours on end?

AniaR
04-30-2013, 05:16 PM
yes. lol

AniaR
05-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Here's the final book jacket :)

(obviously digitally compressed, in real life it wont be all blocky)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/946960_599195220115225_1571200713_n.jpg

I published the book and ebook last night. I am eagerly awaiting my copy to arrive in the mail. I set up a website for it too. Once I get my copy and approve it all, I'll set an official release date and we'll be having an online livestream release party where Mermaid Ama and I will be available to ask questions. I'll know the date within a week :)

It's been a really insane process. I have learned so much, and I want to write another because I learned so many things the hard way, now I can do another and already know what to do haha. Carolyn's foreword is amazing. I read it out loud at least a dozen times. It really got me jazzed and I hope it does for you all too.

So my goal was to keep it under 20$ and I just barely made it, haha.

Physical copy (Trade 6x9) will be 19.95$ USD
pdf copy will be 9.99$ USD
Limited edition (Trade 6x9) with an autograph and a signed print will be 30$ (to cover the cost of shipping the book to me to sign, and then shipping it to customers) I wasn't going to do the autograph thing but I've had so many people ask I've decided I'll just do a limited amount.

We decided to go with pdf because it can be read on your computer, smart phone, tablet, or ereader. This way I could avoid the fees associated with converting it into epub- and a whole wack of fun extra formatting issues.

I did my best to keep the cost manageable but as I mentioned earlier there were associated fees and some issues I had to get around if I wanted to be able to sell the books to anyone outside of Canada. Thankfully, there are LOADS of coupons for Lulu (what I published through) that can be found online and applied, and I can set discounts up :)

Canadian price looks like it has a 12 cent difference, which is lame because we're pretty much on par. :/ when I view it on my laptop it says american prices but when I checked it from my parents it said Canadian which made it an odd number, like 20.07 CAD

I'm not sure how expensive shipping will be- but there are loads of coupons to offset that. When I ordered my copy to approve, I paid rush shipping and it was only 5$, for standard it was like, 2$. SO I'm hoping shipping will be reasonable for everyone :)

Ashe
05-12-2013, 07:57 PM
That looks so cool Raina! I love the front picture, so cute :)

Aziara
05-12-2013, 08:03 PM
*happy dance* Oh YesYesYes!!! So excited!

MerMatt
05-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Definitely would love a autographed copy. Looking forward to the release date.

Ariel-Starfish
05-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Awsooooome!! I'm so hoping to get a signed copy :o <3

AnnaAbyss
05-13-2013, 04:13 AM
I would totally buy this when it comes out. I have Doreen Virtue's book 'Mermaids 101'. I hope to have a big collection of mermaid books. Congrats Raina!

Ariadne
05-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Yay! I will so be diving in to a copy! So excited!

Mer_Adella
05-13-2013, 01:46 PM
my mom is depositing my birthday $ into my account this week sometime. So I can't wait to find out when the ebook format is available so I can use some of my $ to buy it. Would love to buy a hardcover / "real book" but I dont know where I can get it and I honestly dont want to wait lol

Mermaid Harmony
05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
I'd love info on how to get a signed copy when it becomes available!

Mermaid Dottie
05-13-2013, 04:27 PM
I vant to buy your booook! I vant to buy your booook!

AniaR
05-13-2013, 06:58 PM
ahahahaha you're all the best! <3

with the ebook, just keep in mind it's PDF, so it can be read on the computer or an e-reader. However, on an e-reader depending on which one you have, there are slight size issues since ereaders all allow you to adjust the font type and size. I put it on my kobo and everything was sliiiiightly to the left! lol. I've been assured by Lulu that nothing will be cut off or missing etc.

Also these books are print to order, meaning they ship after they've been printing instead of printing a bunch first. Lulu gives you an estimation for how long it'll take, but for me it pretty much made a difference of a day. :)

AniaR
05-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Oh I forgot to say, it's 160 pages!

Mermaid Lilium
05-13-2013, 09:16 PM
I'll be ordering a physical book hopefully :D I have no idea what the shipping would be to the UK though lol!

shimmygoddess
05-14-2013, 08:52 PM
So excited for this!! Congrats!!

Ariadne
05-14-2013, 09:11 PM
I just ordered mine! :D

Mermaid Danielle
05-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Congrats! So happy and excited for you!

AniaR
05-14-2013, 09:37 PM
I just ordered mine!

Lol what did you do search for it ? I haven't officially released it yet :p I am waiting to get my copy first to make sure everything is exactly the way I want it before I "release" it. I thought Lulu wouldn't make it available until I approved it for print but I just went into my account and apparently it is :/ even though they tell you they wont make it available until you approve it so I'm not sure what that is all about. Maybe it's just the digital copy that is?

Either way I am setting up a website for it, and will be officially launching it soon :) we're going to do a live webchat to celebrate. I just want to get my physical copy first and go through it to make sure it's up to par before I promote it ;)

My mer wrangler printed out my manuscript for me as a keepsake and had it bound. So cool, and so big! lol

Ariadne
05-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Oops, I just assumed it was already out on Lulu - it came right up in my shopping cart. Sorry if I jumped the gun! lol

AniaR
05-14-2013, 10:26 PM
bahaha well it's not your fault, they clearly misinformed me. I just apologize if there is the odd spelling or grammatical error. I am waiting for my version to arrive so I can be sure it's perfect and then I am launching it! But I checked my records, you got the PDF so hopefully it all looks good for you :) So thanks for being my first official customer I guess ahahaha. I don't think there will be too much of a difference. There may be none at all even. Just like I said, I was under the impression people couldn't buy it yet is all :p

Ariadne
05-14-2013, 10:38 PM
No doubt it will be great!

AniaR
05-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Fishy Business will be released Friday morning. To celebrate, I am doing a ustream at 6:30pm ADT. The ustream will be at this link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rainwater you can create an account to sign in and chat, or you can log in with FB. If you aren't sure what 6:30ADT is in YOUR time zone, this link will show you my current time is, and you can figure out the difference from your current time: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=286

FB event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/626143357414463/?ref=22

Mermaid Isabela
05-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Can't wait! <3

AniaR
05-15-2013, 09:56 PM
here's how to tell what time it'll be when it's 6:30 for me. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20130517T1830&p1=286

MerMarla
05-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Ohhh looking forward to this.... I already have a Ustream account, so will log in to celebrate with you! You are only an hour earlier than me, in Massachusetts, so that's an easy do! Please let me / us know where to order your book, as a printed version, too. Way to go Raina, Congratulations! WOW!

Ariel-Starfish
05-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm in! Gonna be there! ^^Woohooo!

AniaR
05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Tomorrow is the day! Log on to my page to see the links for my book. Friday evening I am doing a livestream! The schedule is as follows:
1. Introduction and timeline for the night
2. Acknowledgments and thank-yous
3. Table of contents review
4. An excerpt reading
5. Webinar pitch
6. Q and A
7. What's next?

Hope to see you there and come with questions!

MerEmma
05-16-2013, 05:08 PM
OOOH! Excited. <3

AniaR
05-17-2013, 06:48 AM
Have a FINtastic Friday! Here's the website I made for my book. http://rai925.wix.com/howtobeamermaid#!untitled/cee5

Hope you all have a fintastic day, and I look forward to our livechat tonight! <3

Paperback: http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21022585.html;jsessionid=34B0C6647BA32A21486873063 3C09EBD

PDF (for e reader or computer): http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/ebook/product-21022576.html

Signed copies: http://rai925.wix.com/howtobeamermaid#!about-pdf-and-signed-copy-versions/c214a

Ariel-Starfish
05-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Just ordered my copy! <3

I hope to be there tonight, but I realize it will be 11:30PM here 0_o I'll do my best!

MerAnthony
05-17-2013, 07:19 AM
I just might order a copy as soon as I can.

WavyMermaidy
05-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Just ordered mine..yay :)

Aziara
05-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Ordered mine! Can't wait for it to come in the mail!

MerEmma
05-17-2013, 12:46 PM
I want to order mine asap but I need my paycheck to come through...gahhh!

AniaR
05-17-2013, 05:28 PM
chat is going live in a few minutes! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rainwater

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/969203_602594846441929_464417083_n.jpg

AniaR
05-17-2013, 07:58 PM
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO ATTENDED IT KICKED SO MUCH BUTT EEEEEEEEEEE <3
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/486826_10152925362095425_1835265730_n.jpg

MerMarla
05-18-2013, 03:42 AM
Oh Raina, I'm sorry I missed it! I hope you made a recording from Ustream Producer. I would love to see the show! Will be ordering your book!

Congratz!
me, Mermaid Marla

AniaR
05-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Just a heads up, I have a HUGE list of people who want signed copies, much more than I anticipated! My first shipment arrives this week and I'll be contacting the first people who got on the list about payment etc. Everyone else will have to wait a few extra days while my second larger shipment gets in :) I wont ask anyone for money til I have their book in my hand!

Also, I made a goofy video to advertise it, haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bODPhSoRcQ

We sold 50 copies online alone on Friday, then sales continued pretty well over the weekend, and many people are signed up for signed ones. I think we'll reach 100 books by the end of this week! I don't expect it to keep lasting like that, what with this being a niche market and all ;) but it's pretty cool. So thank-you to everyone for supporting this project! I am already working on my next written book, and we'll be publishing a photo book in September! <3

Ariel-Starfish
05-22-2013, 03:29 AM
<3<3 <3

AniaR
05-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Okay folks, so heads up. Apparently the publisher had some stupid issue, and some of the books that got sent out were the proof version. It's no different than the regular version, safe for I think 5 spelling errors, and a few odd formatting issues where there were extra spaces. Shouldn't be too visible, but I'm mad as hell anyway :p I've called them, sent a help ticket through their site, and emailed. I want to make sure it doesn't all get sent out that way!

Apparently first editions end up worth more money? lol....

Mermaid Miel
05-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Then those must be worth even more. LOL.
I bought the PDF yesterday because I couldn't wait to read it. Read it twice.
Today I wrote a review on the lulu.

This is awesome!

AniaR
05-23-2013, 06:54 PM
oh Gosh thanks I think you're my first official review! <3

I just read it and you made me cry. Thank you so much for being so specific. You touched on all the parts I was putting so much work into. I really appreciate the 5 star rating too! Thank you <3

AniaR
05-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Here's a video clip of me reading the introduction from my book! <3

http://youtu.be/0DF7PyiiMTk

AniaR
05-23-2013, 09:20 PM
One more video, my reading of my first swim in a tail!

http://youtu.be/eAXk7A6KHr4

MerEmma
05-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Oh my gosh, it's so great. The writing, ahhh! You have great storytelling, both verbally and written. I can't wait to get your book<3

MerMarla
05-24-2013, 02:50 AM
I bought the PDF ... Read it twice. Today I wrote a review on the lulu.

This is awesome!

Hi Mermaid Miel,

After reading your review, I can understand the emotion behind such an important time in Raina's life! Not everyone gets published and it's a big deal, especially for your first book! I applaud you for being so specific, and genuine. I get the sense, from your word, "awesome" that it doesn't come close! I'm so impatient to read the book now! Even as a retired "professional Mermaid", opportunities present themselves and I am 40 years out of touch with current practices. It's a whole new learning curve for me.

Thank you for writing a 5 https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/e/B68 review!

And A Big Thank you to Raina for her time, honesty, passion, and Love of All Things Mer, for writing this book!

I'm sure I will learn alot when my book arrives from Raina.
Mermaid Marla

spottedcatfish
05-24-2013, 03:15 AM
I'll get mine as soon as I get paid!

Aziara
05-24-2013, 09:51 AM
"Come on, Rabadash" lol! Is it named after the character from The Horse and his Boy?

Mermaid Octavia
05-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Rapidash is the name of a Pokemon. :)

Aziara
05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
*face palm*

AniaR
05-24-2013, 05:43 PM
haha yeah pokemon nickname.

Marla I emailed you!

MerMarla
05-24-2013, 06:30 PM
haha yeah pokemon nickname.

Marla I emailed you!

Raina, I just got it, and responded!
All set!

AniaR
05-24-2013, 07:12 PM
going in the mail tomorrow! <3

Ariel-Starfish
05-25-2013, 06:46 AM
going in the mail tomorrow! <3

hi raina I haven't got any responce from you yet ;) my email is anne . Verelst @ pandora . Be.

<3

AniaR
05-25-2013, 03:30 PM
If you have paid for your book it's been shipped today (or earlier) and should arrive by Friday. If you pay for it this week, it'll be shipped by the end of this week.

Ariel, I'm going through people as they sent in emails in order, you're further down the list- so you'll have to wait for me to receive my next shipment! Also, you asked for hardcover but I only am selling soft cover. ;) I may have to charge you more because it's outside North America, gotta check with the postal office to see if it's much more to ship it to you :) .

Good news though everyone, I found out that customs does not apply on paper products! So there will be NO CUSTOMS FEES and NO CUSTOMS DELAYS. :) So that's nice!

I am really frustrated with the publisher though, they have not gotten back to me about sending out the earlier book version. I have emailed, called, and sent in help tickets. So it looks like until they wake up and fix it on their end, everyone is getting the version with a few spelling errors and extra spaces. I apologize. I hate it. but I can't do anything about it at this time :( it's no different than the final version, safe for those little errors!

Ariel-Starfish
05-26-2013, 01:12 PM
If you have paid for your book it's been shipped today (or earlier) and should arrive by Friday. If you pay for it this week, it'll be shipped by the end of this week.

Ariel, I'm going through people as they sent in emails in order, you're further down the list- so you'll have to wait for me to receive my next shipment! Also, you asked for hardcover but I only am selling soft cover. ;) I may have to charge you more because it's outside North America, gotta check with the postal office to see if it's much more to ship it to you :) .

Good news though everyone, I found out that customs does not apply on paper products! So there will be NO CUSTOMS FEES and NO CUSTOMS DELAYS. :) So that's nice!

I am really frustrated with the publisher though, they have not gotten back to me about sending out the earlier book version. I have emailed, called, and sent in help tickets. So it looks like until they wake up and fix it on their end, everyone is getting the version with a few spelling errors and extra spaces. I apologize. I hate it. but I can't do anything about it at this time :( it's no different than the final version, safe for those little errors!

Okido- will do :D Please keep me posted! :thumbsup:

Mermaid Kassandra
05-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Raina I'm so excited!Yesterday morning your book arrived on my laptop and now I'll start reading it I can't wait!I'm sure it'll be fabulous!I have only one question because I've seen the table of content (I've read the first few pages -they're fantastic!- I won't leave even one of them uread :D ) and I didn't see the legal side of the fishy business listed in it, I mean the fees to pay to the state, the registration with the chamber of commerce and all this things because I was wondering in which manner a promer-wannabe should act in front of law regulating the work (maybe you talk about it in your book and I'll find it somewere or you didn't because "different country" means "different laws").Anyway again congratulations for your book I think it contains a little part of the magic you carry :)

AniaR
05-29-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm sure it'll be fabulous!I have only one question because I've seen the table of content (I've read the first few pages -they're fantastic!- I won't leave even one of them uread :D ) and I didn't see the legal side of the fishy business listed in it, I mean the fees to pay to the state, the registration with the chamber of commerce and all this things because I was wondering in which manner a promer-wannabe should act in front of law regulating the work (maybe you talk about it in your book and I'll find it somewere or you didn't because "different country" means "different laws")

I touch on these things individually, but you have to remember I am Canadian, and also, not a legal expert ;) So while I describe some of the processes and why they're valuable, I can't tell you what to do in your specific state. I do give some ideas at where to find out that information though. The book is being sold world wide, there's just know way I could include that for everywhere. You could write a whole book just for the USA or CAD.

AniaR
05-29-2013, 05:39 PM
UPDATE.

I wanted to share two of the reviews I've received. I want to disclaim that I have no way to filter the reviews. So I'm not pandering to ya'll here only showing you good ones, deleting bad ones, or having friends write one up for me :p These are genuine customer reviews, done through the lulu.com website! :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942673_612737308761016_1687440195_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942907_606977446003669_1606749386_n.jpg

Also, I have the next shipment in and ready to go for anyone in North America. I've replied to emails, and as long as payment is made before Saturday, then I can ship them all out Saturday.

Finally, I was able to earn enough to get my cavities filled- haha! (never ever had one, and all of a sudden I have 5) so we're using the rest of the money to buy Mermaid Ama her very own merbella's basic tail :) She's been borrowing my mermaid creations inc one, but it was made for me and the monofin even with socks and neoprene booties is too big for her. We're already halfway there :) So, you can help us get Ama a tail by sharing the links for the book: http://rai925.wix.com/howtobeamermaid or by buying one of the versions of the book! <3

Mermaid Marissa
05-29-2013, 06:36 PM
...but you have to remember I am Canadian...

:lol: Canadians for the win! My dad's side are pretty much all First Nation. Even though I've lived in Chicago all my life you'd never be able to tell ;)

MerEmma
05-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Whee! Congratulations on your mini success<3 I'm still waiting on my mum to let me buy it--she said yes but we need money. I'm REALLY anxious to, though! Gahhh. I could buy the PDF but I love a solid book.

AniaR
05-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Hey folks, Carolyn Turgeon interviewed me for her blog!!! And I'm thrilled to say we've zoomed past the 100 book mark. Woowhoo!

You can read the interview here: http://iamamermaid.com/2013/05/31/raina-the-halifax-mermaids-extremely-helpful-fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/

Ariel-Starfish
06-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Hi raina, did u find a way to get your book shipped to europe? I don't mind to pay extra $$$. Otherwise, I need to order a normal copy an u just send me a signed photo after I payed u for doing that? :) I NEEEED that book <3

AniaR
06-01-2013, 09:43 AM
You can order a normal copy through here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21022585.html;jsessionid=8D05A957AA8FBC65793DB3D51 C53F0AA

I'd be happy to send you an autographed photo :p I've been trying to see if we can swing a deal somehow so it doesnt cost an arm and a leg to mail the book overseas, but haven't come up with anything yet. I don't want people to have to pay almost double for a 19.99 book.

Ariel-Starfish
06-01-2013, 11:20 AM
You can order a normal copy through here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21022585.html;jsessionid=8D05A957AA8FBC65793DB3D51 C53F0AA

I'd be happy to send you an autographed photo :p I've been trying to see if we can swing a deal somehow so it doesnt cost an arm and a leg to mail the book overseas, but haven't come up with anything yet. I don't want people to have to pay almost double for a 19.99 book.

Thanks! I'll order a normal copy now asap <3
You have my adress for the signed photo? Oh and do you sign it zt the front? I would love to frame it ^_^

Ariel-Starfish
06-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Ordered <3

AniaR
06-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey folks, Update time!

I have launched a contest where you can win a free pdf copy: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?5325-Win-a-copy-of-FISHY-BUSINESS-HOW-TO-BE-A-MERMAID&p=75109#post75109

Also,
want to get 5% off my book? Lulu has a coupon! Use code: FAST5 before it expires! http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21022585.html (works on the PDF too)

MerAnthony
06-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I am ordering a copy now Raina. Could you sign it for me? Done. :)

AniaR
06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
I can only sign the ones you order directly from me, not the ones on the website. The website ones come directly from the publisher so I don't get to see them and sign them, sorry!

Ariel-Starfish
06-13-2013, 03:21 AM
I recieved my book a few days back! <3

Raina, can u PM me about the signed photo?

deepblue
06-13-2013, 04:12 PM
I hope I can order this in a couple weeks. I wish I could now!

XMermaidMarinaX
06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
It sounds like it would be a good buy.. but I'm having a hard time convincing my mother to let me spend $20 on a book..

MerEmma
06-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I convinced my mum (she'll let me buy just about any book, yay!) but I just haven't done it yet. We just did yet another order-bunch-of-stuff-we-need so I'll need to include it in the next bunch. :P

Arella
06-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I finished it a while ago I really enjoyed it! I'll write a review in a few days:)

MerAnthony
06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
I just got mine this morning in the mail. An from just a little bit I have read of it ,it looks to be very interesting. I don't read to many books, but I will be reading this one.

Ariel-Starfish
06-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Finished yesterday! ^_^

AniaR
06-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Glad everyone is enjoying it. I get a lot of positive feedback :) I'm thankful cuz I busted my fins on it haha. I am working on my next book now "A Fishy Summer: Diary of a Mermaid" during every free chance I get! :)

AniaR
06-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Hey Folks, my next order of Fishy Business arrives this week! If you'd like to order a limited edition signed copy that also comes with a signed print, please email raina@rainamermaid.com the cost is 30$ which is only very slightly more than purchasing the book online (it helps me pay for shipping it to myself, and you get a free print!) They'll be sent out Saturday, if you can pay before the end of Friday.

Aziara
06-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I must say Raina, I'm so glad you included even the bit about the awkward first swim. I just tried out my homemade monofin... I'm normally fairly graceful in the water, but I felt like I was just splashing around like an uncoordinated slob...occasionally I would get the rhythm right, but I would lose it quickly. I also left behind some chin-skin and a bit of tooth enamel from a very painful face-first impact with the pool floor. Because you were so honest about your first swim, I feel a little better about my own first try. Many thanks.

AniaR
06-18-2013, 08:47 PM
<3 <3 well never stop! we can't all be super amazing those first few times ahaha!

Mermaid Caspiana
06-18-2013, 10:42 PM
I really want it, because I'm making my own business and its just cool. I'm writing a book two, but its not about mers. All although I haveany ideas and one is about mermaids. :) good luck I hope it sells well!

Mermaid Caspiana
06-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Do you think your book will go to Walmart or books a million or barns and noble? Or where do you think the cheapest place to get it. I would love to order from you personally but I just don't know about the cost. :/

AniaR
06-19-2013, 05:35 PM
I opted not to sell it through additional sellers because they mark it up so high. It woulda been a 30$ paperback book, which is insane. :p

Ariel-Starfish
06-20-2013, 02:44 AM
Raina, could u send out a signed card to me? :) Scince i already ordered the normal copy I told u about. (Wasen't working out with shipping fee etc => signed copy)

AniaR
06-20-2013, 05:12 PM
Yeah sorry Ariel I haven't had a chance I do everything in batches! (to try and make the shipping less) I do my next batch Saturday, I'll try and send one then! :)

Mermaid Kalliope
06-22-2013, 10:34 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o143/meow-woof/20130622_192652_zpscbdeec19.jpg

BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT EVER!!! YAY!

AniaR
06-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Yay!!!! <3 <3 I hope you like it!!! <3 <3

I'm still really bummed that they didnt publish the right version. Seanny and I were just looking through the right version again and it looks so much better haha, but hopefully you'll forgive the extra weird spaces >.>
(side note, despite selling close to 150 copies and having the publisher call me to try and sell me more services, NO ONE has returned my calls, emails, or help ticket about the draft being published instead of the final version :( we tried manually replacing it on our own but it didn't take. Just odd spelling errors and spacing.... but still :/ )

First editions. Am I right?

Ariel-Starfish
06-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Yeah sorry Ariel I haven't had a chance I do everything in batches! (to try and make the shipping less) I do my next batch Saturday, I'll try and send one then! :)

Thank you <3

AniaR
06-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Sent it Ariel! They didn't tell me how long it'll take, I just sent it regular mail cuz it was a bit expensive just to even do that!

Ariel-Starfish
06-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Sent it Ariel! They didn't tell me how long it'll take, I just sent it regular mail cuz it was a bit expensive just to even do that!

Yaaaay! <3 I don't care if it takes longer, i'm so happy I'll get a signed photo from you! ^____^

AniaR
06-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Here is the winner of my last contest:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/988352_636187133082700_1994720020_n.jpg

I am hosting another, because it was so enjoyable!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1006139_638604142840999_1737899588_n.jpg

MerEmma
06-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Gahh, wish I had a Facebook! I love that you're doing these contests though, and good luck with the second one.

Mermaid Kalliope
06-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Raina - As soon as I finish your book, I will write a review. :-) Ignoring, of course, the spelling and spacing. :-P I can forgive. Just tell me the places to post the review and I'll be sure to post it! ♥♥ Keep swimming!

Mermaid Lorelei
06-24-2013, 01:38 AM
Agreed. I'd love to write a review for you. :3

AniaR
06-24-2013, 04:35 PM
D'awww!!!

You can leave a review on either link! Here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21022585.html;jsessionid=426ADD4BBA94B35D20FEF9B07 E999E18
or here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/ebook/product-21022576.html

I really appreciate it!!! The people who are winning my contests, are receiving the actual version that was intended for print. If I decide to go with Lulu again, I'll be making sure my final version really is my final version, and not a draft like they suggest.

AniaR
06-28-2013, 07:42 PM
WANT TO CELEBRATE CANADA DAY AND INDEPENDENCE DAY WITH FISHY BUSINESS? Between July 3rd- 5th you can get 25% OFF MY BOOKS by using the coupon code: FIREWORKS so mark your calendars!

If you want to make a bulk order you can also get 20$ off by using coupon code 20420 at checkout

Paperback: http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/13735410

ebook: http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/13850464

Felicia
07-01-2013, 04:45 PM
I got my copy in the mail today!!! *SQUEE :D

AniaR
07-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Yay. For places in North America buying directly from me seems to take about a week. For people buying from the publisher- they make your book to order, so it ships once it's printed and they email you a tracking number.

DON'T FORGET 25% off from july 3rd-5th!

Mermaid Lilium
07-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Rainaaaaaa I has monies! :D what do I need to do to order a signed copy from you at this point? ;D

AniaR
07-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Just send me an email Kat! raina@rainamermaid.com :D

Alexander
07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
A very good working dear. You have done your job. It looks quite good. I must buy it.

MerEmma
07-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Got the book a bit earlier today and just finished it, omg! It was SO good. I learned a lot from it--I ordered it on July 4th and it arrived here in Florida July 11th. Felt like forever though :P

I just barely noticed the typos/formatting issues, but I've done editing gigs before so it's been pushed into my brain to see them :P

I'll work on a review sometime, hopefully!

AniaR
07-11-2013, 08:23 PM
I finally heard back from the publishing company after I posted on their FB wall (I had called, emailed, and filled out a help ticket) so hopefully version 2 will be out soon, minus all the typos and weird spacing!

MountainMermaidBrooke
07-16-2013, 11:13 AM
As one of the previous winners of your contest, I wanted to say thanks! It was an awesome read and I hope to pull some things together for my first charity event soon. ^.^

AniaR
07-17-2013, 06:01 PM
So glad it's helping people!

Lulu is having a sale again! Want 20% off your order? Use discount code SOCIUS at checkout before July 20th! http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21022585.html applies to ebook or paper!

For future reference, you can always check this link to see the promo codes for Lulu http://www.lulu.com/promos/current-specials

AniaR
07-17-2013, 06:03 PM
another review

Mary Marine
07-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Bought it, read it, loved it, and left a review on Lulu!

AniaR
07-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the reviews, here are 2 more!

AniaR
08-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Look was mermaids and anchors made me!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/ea5e55d0a97d56fe89286f2283eaf322/tumblr_mqythsIVKN1r0wgkuo1_400.gif

Ariel-Starfish
08-04-2013, 09:53 AM

I think my card got lost in the mail :( Could u send me one again? I'll pay u for the postage! ;)

AniaR
08-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Get 20% off my book by using coupon code ARDENS20 at checkout before August 10th! http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21022585.html

coral_sybil
08-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Too bad I didn't see that before I ordered it *shrug* it should be here any day now.

AniaR
08-29-2013, 09:20 PM
YAY THE FORMATTING ISSUES HAVE FINALLY BEEN FIXED!

My book has been out for 3 months, and in that 3 months I have been going back and forth trying to get the publisher to fix an issue they did on their end. They printed the draft version of my book instead of the final version! So there were typos and formatting issues. Nothing huge, most people didn't notice, but I did! Thankfully it's been fixed and the new books look great. The content is still the same.

You can get a 5% discount by using the code FAST5 at checkout

http://rai925.wix.com/howtobeamermaid#!untitled/cee5

I'll be buying an official URL for this soon, just haven't had a chance! So much to do!

coral_sybil
08-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Oh I got the printed copy. The formatting was distracting but you had that disclaimer in the front so I tried to pay it no mind.

AniaR
08-29-2013, 10:57 PM
believe me it's been driving me bonkers and I am angry it took them this long to fix it when I notified them right away before people even bought it. But in the end I am happy it's fixed. Too bad there are 300 odd copies out there with errors haha

Anahita
08-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Errors or no, I still like my copy :)

MermaidSabrina
08-31-2013, 07:37 PM
I ordered it on amazon a while back , it just arrived , and I finished it. Raina Your book Was Mertastic!!!!

AniaR
09-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks Sabrina glad you liked it. I didn't know it was on Amazon... I thought I had opted out of that so I went to check, did you get a used copy by chance? Just wondering how they got their hands on it is all hehe ;)

AniaR
10-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Want to get 20% off my book? Makes a great holiday gift! Use coupon code PUMPKINS between now and October 18th at 11:59pm! You can use it on book or the ebook! Here are the links:

E- Book: http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/13850464 (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lulu.com%2Fcontent%2Fe-book%2Ffishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid%2F13850464&h=FAQFox-5u)

Book: http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21180871.html

AniaR
11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Why does my book make a great gift for the mer (or mer at heart) in your life? Because it covers EVERYTHING. Literally! From obtaining a fin, using it for fun, or running a business! Health benefits, legal mumbjo jumbo, a huge resource section, how to make the most of your online presence, plus some pretty funny stories of yours truley. Beautiful photos, tutorials, and insider information. Everything a mermaid needs! Order now to be sure your book arrives in time for the holidays, or get the ebook instantly! Use coupon code FAST5 for 5% off at checkout. You'll also find the Halifax Mermaids 2013 calendar listed as well. Get 18% off the calendar with coupon code FBC18 at checkout. See all our listings here http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/rainamermaid

Mermaid Adriel
12-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Since next year I seriously want to start working on this, I'm willing to buy the book as soon as possible; so, what about shipping costs?

AniaR
12-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Just click the link it'll calculate shipping based on your locatiob

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

PearlieMae
12-25-2013, 06:36 PM
I bought the ebook and downloaded it! I was reading before it finished coming out of my printer!

thevirginiamermaid
12-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Raina!
I got your book for chirstmas and am in the middle of reading it! It is so helpful and addresses things that I would never even have thought (all the legal stuff and self promoting etc.) I loved hearing your story and I love how you bracely included some of your mistakes so that others can avoid the same problems. I can't wait to attend your workshops at NC merfest!

AniaR
12-27-2013, 02:04 PM
yay so glad. Im really looking forward to the workshops :)

Mermaid Adriel
12-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Just click the link it'll calculate shipping based on your locatiob

Thank you!

deepblue
12-28-2013, 05:37 PM
My bday is in April and though my bf is already taking me to see VNV Nation, I'm going to hint that I want this book, too. lol If he doesn't' get it for me, maybe I will treat myself to it, finally.

ETA- I am not a hinter, I'm just going to tell him. :p

AniaR
12-28-2013, 05:48 PM
I hope you enjoy it. I'm planning the follow up book for May :)

Mermaid Oshun
12-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Since I can not make it to Merfest NC to see you I just bought your book to support you Raina.
Best wishes

AniaR
12-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Thank YOU lovely Golden mermaid! <3

deepblue
01-04-2014, 03:27 AM
Oh, to Hades with waiting. I just ordered the book from Lulu. I have not done a thing for myself in years... and I've rocked at life lately, so I deserve a treat, dammit.

I'm so excited to read it!

Sherl
01-04-2014, 04:27 AM
I've featured my own copy of Fishy Business in my second In My Mailbox post on my book blog (http://mermaidwithabook.blogspot.sg/2014/01/in-my-mailbox-2-how-to-be-mermaid-and.html) (along with another bookish mail goodie)! Can't wait to read it but I've got that reading pile to tackle first; when I finish Fishy Business I'll definitely be reviewing it :)

deepblue
01-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Got the message it was sent out yesterday. I'm so glad, I totally need something just for me right now. :D

Mermaid Lilium
01-09-2014, 04:48 PM
My bday is in April and though my bf is already taking me to see VNV Nation, I'm going to hint that I want this book, too. lol If he doesn't' get it for me, maybe I will treat myself to it, finally.

ETA- I am not a hinter, I'm just going to tell him. :p

I just saw VNV in Preston (here in the uk) less than 2 months ago <3 Epic as ever!

deepblue
01-09-2014, 05:09 PM
:D I can't wait- my bf has seen them several times live, I haven't.

Have you seen the classical series with Ronin and an orchestra? So amazing. If you want the link, I can pm it to you, so as to not go too off topic here on Raina's book thread. :)

I eagerly await today's mail... hoping my book is in it!

Gem Stone
01-09-2014, 11:47 PM
I finally bought the book. I can't wait until it comes in the mail!

Fallen
01-18-2014, 12:17 AM
Mine is waiting at my house. It arrived today but I'm working a double shift between my two jobs.

AniaR
01-18-2014, 05:47 AM
Hope you all enjoy. Thanks for buying!

Merman Arion
01-18-2014, 06:04 AM
@ Raina

I look forward to read our signed copy once you will have the time to send me one :)

Have a nice week-end :hug:

Mermaid Lilium
01-18-2014, 06:20 AM
caan't wait til I'm done with my dissertation in March... so much reading to work through right now 0.0 When that's done I shall be ordering a signed copy from you raina <3

AniaR
01-18-2014, 10:49 AM
I look forward to read our signed copy once you will have the time to send me one

I'll try and find some time soon dear! I am playing catch up from being sick all December and we're doing non-stop gigs. Plus working 40+ hours a week and taking those darned professional development workshops ;) it's bee a tad bit crazy over here in mermaid land.

Mermaid Adriel
01-18-2014, 07:59 PM
I'll buy it next week. I can't wait! ^.^

AniaR
01-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Use discount code AMOR14 from now until valentine's day to get 14% off my book! Digital or paperback! Great gift for the mer in your life. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/rainamermaid

deepblue
01-24-2014, 09:12 PM
I'm still in the middle of reading the book- but this came up on my feed and I got to answer, "How to be a mermaid with a chainsaw." :D

In any case, I'm enjoying the book. I like the voice in which you've written, very personable and sort of personal- just enough to feel like a real person is telling you her story and giving advice, which is nice. Because you are real. lol But you know what I mean, it doesn't have an automatic or text-only feel to it.

AniaR
01-24-2014, 09:15 PM
thanks! I'm excited for book 2. I was also recently sent this message about it that was awesome:

Mermaid Adriel
01-25-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm going to buy your book in 3-4 days and I can't wait to see the second one :D I'm so excited!

MermanZen
01-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Sounds amazing I would love to buy it

Mary Marine
01-25-2014, 08:17 PM
I've been re-reading your book again. I can't get over how useful it is for reference!

Mermaid Adriel
01-29-2014, 07:32 AM
I' ve just downloaded it! :yay:

Mermaid Adriel
02-02-2014, 06:39 PM
lol, I'm almost finished it. Congrats Raina, your book is an endless source of informations! :D

AniaR
02-02-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm glad you are enjoying it, I am working hard on #2

Mermaid Adriel
02-02-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm sure it will turn out very well :)
some anticipation?

AniaR
02-02-2014, 08:39 PM
More discount codes! Buy the book from this link: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/rainamermaid

http://www.lulu.com/cmsmedia/spot.gif
SHIPPING

Keep warm during six more weeks of winter with free shipping
Offer ends Feb 5, 2014 11:59 PM
Use Code: 6MOREWEEKS

SITEWIDE

Will you be our Valentine? Give a book to someone you adore
Or get a book you'll love from our bookstore
Offer Ends Feb 14, 2013 11:59 PM
Use Code: AMOR14 and save 14% site-wide

BULK

Save 10% off 20 or more books The more you buy, the more you save!
Save 10% when you buy 20 or more books.
Combine this offer with our bulk tiers and save even more!
Use Code: TAKE10

MermaidAmestris
02-11-2014, 05:14 AM
I'm glad all of you people get to enjoy Raina's book. I'm trying so hard to become a mermaid myself, even though I have limitations holding me back from my dream, but my family (I still live with my mom because I'm saving up for a tail instead of an apartment :/ genius me) isn't supportive of me AT ALL. They're overly, insanely, unbelievably religious, and they tell me that if I pursue such a path I'll somehow wind up in hell for it. How? I just want to make kids smile and feel like I belong. But anyway, even with my own money, my mom won't let me buy the book. Not that I have any money for it anyway, but even if I did, my mom would like forbid me from buying "such unholy literacy".

AniaR
02-11-2014, 07:53 AM
I come from a very religious family as well. They didn't like it at first but became very supportive and even tell me it is Gods plan for me ;)

AniaR
02-18-2014, 04:25 PM
For 5 days only, get free mail shipping (or 50% off ground shipping).
Offer ends Feb 21, 2014 11:59 PM.
Use Code: KINDNESS14

Merman Arion
02-18-2014, 04:39 PM
For 5 days only, get free mail shipping (or 50% off ground shipping).
Offer ends Feb 21, 2014 11:59 PM.
Use Code: KINDNESS14

Thanks Raina.
I just submitted a second order for your book. I still got the PDF version but I want it to be a part of my favorite books shelf :)

Mermaid Dottie
02-18-2014, 05:21 PM
YES! Hubby said I could get it! WOOHOO! I just ordered it (FINALLY!!) And now.... I wait. *sits by mailbox in the slowly melting snow*

AniaR
03-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Want 20% off my book? Use coupon code: WAFFLESSAY20 at checkout! http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/rainamermaid code valid til March 31

AniaR
04-23-2014, 02:08 PM
Hi folks, I'm having a 10% off sale on my book to sell some more and raise some funds to help pay for some medical treatments! I live with interstitial cystitis and endometriosis along with some autoimmune issues. I've just finally found a medication that works for me, but it's very expensive and not covered. I'll also be taking specialized physiotherapy. Now is the time to buy a paperback to help yourself and help me! Please share, makes a great gift in time for summer! http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21180871.html

Mermaid Wesley
04-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Yay! I ordered a copy!

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

AniaR
04-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Thank you so much :)

Mermaid Wesley
04-23-2014, 06:46 PM
No, thank YOU for sharing your trade secrets! I can't wait for it to get here.

Mermaid Amelia
04-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Placed my order :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vixy
04-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Ordering the book tonight hopefully :D

Mermaid Wesley
04-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Mine should be here soon! Excited!

Sent from my shellphone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Lilium
04-27-2014, 05:47 PM
I ordered my copy just now =) Will just have to get it signed in person one day lol! Will post a review as soon as I finish reading it x

Vixy
04-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Well I've ordered now myself :D

AniaR
04-27-2014, 08:05 PM
thanks for the support everyone

Mizuko
04-27-2014, 09:09 PM
When I get messages from people online I direct them straight to your book! XD

AniaR
04-29-2014, 08:12 PM
ADDITIONAL DISCOUNT ALERT guess what?! my publisher is having a SALE too! woo! My book is set at 10% off already, but you can take an additional 10% off the hardcopy or digital by adding promo code: MOM10 at checkout! That means 20% off the physical copy, and 10% off the digital. Best time to buy wooo!

http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21180871.html

Mermaid Wesley
04-30-2014, 10:11 PM
:cool:

AniaR
04-30-2014, 10:52 PM
yaaaay! cute pic haha

Mermaid Wesley
04-30-2014, 11:02 PM
Aw thanks ;)

Mermaid Aalayah
05-07-2014, 09:09 PM
I just ordered your book and I can't wait to read it!

AniaR
05-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Get 10% off all shipping method with code MS10 at checkout. Good til the end of the 12th. Can't be combined with other codes.

My paperback is still 10% off without a code!

AniaR
05-09-2014, 11:27 PM
My book is a year old. Wooo

MerEmma
05-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Congratulations! I should get it out for a re-read. :D

OceanRose
05-10-2014, 12:58 AM
Happy birthday booky! <3

Mermaid Adriel
05-11-2014, 10:29 AM
lol, time passes so fast!

AniaR
05-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Hey folks just a reminder if you order these from lulu I have no control over shipping. Lulu sends you tracking and has a shipping FAQ on their website. It may take a little longer than expected because they don't print the book until you order it. ( this prevents paper waste) but when you buy your confirmation email has all that info in it.

Mermaid_Kenzee
05-11-2014, 03:29 PM
that was about me :$ lol sorry

AniaR
05-11-2014, 06:33 PM
it's okay Kenzee, don't feel bad I didnt have a lot of time to reply to your messages, and loads of people get worried when it takes a while. <3

Mermaid_Kenzee
05-12-2014, 11:42 PM
:lol: MY BOOK CAME IN TODAY!!!!:lol: Aready started reading it :lol: I LOVE IT ALREADY!!!:lol: Your amazing Raina!!!!:lol:

AniaR
05-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Yay hope you enjoy

AniaR
05-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Three day FLASH sale! Want 30% off my paperback??? Use discount code RDM14 woo woo! http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21180871.html (the first 10% is my sale, the other 20% is a publisher sale!)

AniaR
06-03-2014, 04:20 PM
My paperback is currently 10% off, you can get another 15% off my using CAESAR15 at checkout. :)

selkie13
06-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Damn.... I just bought it 5 hours ago. Just my luck that i could have waited and got that code lol

angelstarfish
06-07-2014, 03:47 PM
if I buy a copy and sent it to you, will you sign it Raina?

AniaR
07-05-2014, 10:46 AM
GET FREE SHIPPING ONCE AGAIN

Get free mail shipping or 50% off ground shipping on your order.
Offer ends July 7th at 11:59 PM.
Cannot be combined with other offers.
Not valid on eBooks or services.
Use Code: JLS714

http://www.lulu.com/shop/raina-mermaid/fishy-business-how-to-be-a-mermaid/paperback/product-21180871.html

AniaR
07-16-2014, 09:55 AM
one day flash sale today, this would be in addition to the 10% I already have the book marked off

Celebrate Pandemonium Day with 10% off! Save 10% on all standard and premium books.
Offer ends July 16th at 11:59 PM.
Cannot be combined with other offers. Not valid on eBooks or services.
Use Code: PANDY14

AniaR
07-19-2014, 09:26 AM
More sales:

Friday Flash Sale! Save 13% on all standard and premium books
Offer ends July 21st at 11:59 PM.
Cannot be combined with other offers. Not valid on eBooks or services.
Use Code: FLASHY13

AniaR
07-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Save 20% HAMMOCK14

Seraphina Suds
07-24-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm glad you have sales so often. I misplaced my copy and will have to buy another one if I can't find it. :c

coral_sybil
07-24-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm glad you have sales so often. I misplaced my copy and will have to buy another one if I can't find it. :c

I hear ya... I had my copy on this desk when we first moved, but when the boyfriend set up his computer he put it somewhere... but we're not entirely sure where

MermaidSasha
07-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Just ordered the pdf of your book. It keeps telling me there is an error and that its not a valid PDF file. Have no clue if its this darn tablet or what but I'm going to try and read it later in the evening. Hope it works cause I'm super antsy and want to start it lol

MermaidSasha
07-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Just ordered the pdf of your book. It keeps telling me there is an error and that its not a valid PDF file. Have no clue if its this darn tablet or what but I'm going to try and read it later in the evening. Hope it works cause I'm super antsy and want to start it lol