PDA

View Full Version : Taming of the hair

Blondie
02-10-2013, 04:36 PM
So, how do you long haired mers tame that hair underwater?

My hair goes EVERYWHERE. It doesn't look flattering at all unless I'm moving forward constantly. The worst part is, I can't wear my earrings because they get knotted in my hair SO badly I had to basically tear/cut them out.

What do you guys do for this? :confused:

Odette
02-10-2013, 05:50 PM
its all about how you move. never move your head backwards. its straight,up,or down. when you move forward and stop, you create a little current and your hair will keep moving. so try swimming forward, then up. that should do it.
also pulling it partially back. =p

Mermaid Hamant
02-10-2013, 06:00 PM
I always bring a brush with me to the pool and get out to brush it through every once in a while. I've tried tying my hair back in the past, but it always seems to end up getting tangled more when I do that for some reason.

FreshWaterMermaid
02-10-2013, 08:16 PM
I've never had this problem and my hair has always been long, to my shoulder blades.
Sometimes it'll get caught in my earrings a little bit. But never badly.
My hair is very straight though, not a curl in it... that might have something to do with it?
Hmmm....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Blondie
02-11-2013, 01:41 AM
My hair is straight and thin. It's just all over in the water. It hurt so bad to get Raven's earrings out of my hair because it completely tangled itself in it.

Kanti
02-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Maybe you should only wear bigger/dangly-er earrings when you're going to stay out of the water?
You could also always try to put conditioner in your hair before you go in the water to help keep it
slick. That usually helps my hair from getting really tangled/dehydrated when I go to pools/ the beach.

Alveric
02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
This is why mermaids are usually seen with a brush and mirror. :)

Mermaid Arianna
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
put olive oil in your hair 15 minutes before you swim.

Blondie
02-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Hmm I'll have to try the conditioner and olive oil next time I swim! Thanks guys!

MerEmma
02-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Let us know how it works. =)

Mermaid Harmony
05-27-2013, 04:26 AM
So, love this, and I need to start putting oil in my hair, but I've been conditioning more with the herbal essence hello hydration, and my hair has done a 180. I was going to chop it off, and now I'll pry keep it. Anyways, when you get out of the pool to take pictures and such, how do you keep your hair looking nice and pretty? Like today I did a party, and swam for a bit and then got out, and my hair just looked ugh, do you think the oil will make this better, and not tangled and odd looking?

Bellasea
05-27-2013, 07:27 AM
I have this same problem! Last summer my wair was to my belt, and I could never swim with it down. IT would get wrapped around my arms and neck, amde it vvery hard to swim. I always had to pull it back in a french braid. I also think putting vaseline in your hair will do the same thing as olive oil.

Theobromine
05-27-2013, 02:38 PM
I have this problem as well. My hair reaches halfway down my butt and it will tangle if you look at it funny. This is why I normally keep it French braided and pinned up; it protects it from tangling abd damage while keeping it out of my way. When I go swimming I definitely have to keep it braided to prevent disaster. When I used to dive all the time in Australia I actually had to double the braid up (tie it back onto itself) to keep it from getting stuck in all the gear. I've been wondering if I can just incorporate the braid into my mermaid look. I might try oiling it really well, but keeping it in a braid just prevents so much frustration.

Theobromine
05-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Actually, I've been thinking we should have a thread where we share pictures of our mermaid hair! I don't think I have seen one yet. I might go start one if I can figure out how to post images from my phone...

Mermaid Hamant
06-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Actually, I've been thinking we should have a thread where we share pictures of our mermaid hair! I don't think I have seen one yet. I might go start one if I can figure out how to post images from my phone...

That sounds like a really fun idea!