PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out Without A Mertender or Assistant

Mermaid Hamant
02-10-2013, 06:09 PM
I would like to start booking gigs, but I do not have anyone to help me at the moment. Does anybody have any helpful tips of how I could get started without a Mertender or Assistant?

**Sorry if this thread doesn't belong in this section, I couldn't figure out where I should put it.**

Odette
02-10-2013, 07:52 PM
keep in mind:when your'e in your tail, you are vunerable. you cant walk away or swim forever. so what i suggest is to think of dangerous scenarios, be an assertive mermaid. If you can't confidently tell the kids to stop riding you or holding your head underwater, you could hurt yourself and/or the guests. please make sure you have liability insurance.Its not too expensive.

i've had drunk ladies and foreign kids try to get in the water with me, men trying to tug on my tail,the creepiest guys try to pick me up.Ive been asked to give kisses.i had a girl who puked in the pool. It can get crazy

be creative! if they tug,(great improv idea) say "ouch! my tail!careful,honey. my fins are sensitive" stuff like that.

make sure you talk to the person who hired you, shake their hand,i have my terms of service i discuss and ask them where you can safely store your stuff and keep all valuables and identification in your car or put a lock on your purse.

ive got more. just pm me any concerns.i may not see this thread again

Ayla of Duluth
02-10-2013, 09:26 PM
I have to go without a mertender a lot of the time because I don't have an assistant and my friends are sadly unreliable to qualify as assistants. When I have no personal assistant, I make sure to stay in the shallow area where I can always put my fluke down and stand in the water if kids try jumping on me. Make it clear to any adults that are present that they need to watch the children and step in if the kids get too rowdy. Remember, these people are clients, but they're also parents and need to be in control of their children, so don't be afraid to do what it takes to grab their attention if they try to ignore you. [learned that from the hockey kids during that one incident.] Other than that, its just a matter of letting the kids know to be gentle with you, not to jump on your back or try to ride you. Make sure they know that you may be half fish, but your upper half is human, so you need to breathe air just like they do, so holding you underwater is a very bad idea.

Mermaid Hamant
02-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks guys! Just one more question. How do you handle getting in and out of your tail without the kids seeing you by yourself?

Ayla of Duluth
02-11-2013, 01:31 AM
I call up the client a day or two before the event date. On my website I believe it actually says I require a private place to change into my tail, but some people don't go to my website so I call them and ask them if they'll have a place to change. Then I'll ask them if one of the parents or someone else who will be there is strong enough and willing to help carry me to the pool. I've never had a client say no, they always seem excited to be able to help me in such a big way.

Mermaid Hamant
02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Awesome thanks!! :)

Mermaid Dottie
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
one word: Wheelchair.

Mermaid Danielle
02-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Talk to some friends, and offer to pay them a portion of your earnings for their time. I haven't had a gig yet, but i have spoken to a few friends who are willing to help if they are able to. I wouldn't recommend going to an event alone, unless it is being held in a very public place. You never know what could happen, and should always have someone there to help you. Even if it is just a friend attending as a one time thing.

malinghi
02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
If you don't have any close friends who are strong enough to lift you, do any of them have siblings that might be willing to be hired on as a paid mertender?

Mermaid Hamant
02-11-2013, 10:46 PM
If you don't have any close friends who are strong enough to lift you, do any of them have siblings that might be willing to be hired on as a paid mertender?
Not really. :( That's why I was trying to figure out how to get along without a mertender.