PDA

View Full Version : Monofin Advice Pretty Please

Disfusional
02-14-2013, 06:15 PM
I need some assistance. I am looking for a mono fin, I have read the thread on monofins already. However, that did not answer the question(s) I have. I have smaller feet, US size 5/5.5. It is horrible finding cute shoes with such a small foot. (All the attractive 'going out' heels are usually a size 6 and that is just too big for me)

I am looking for a monofin with a more stiff blade for a stronger proportion and displacement of water. Through my searches it seems that mostly the adult monofins have harder blades. I am looking to create a tail with a fluke on the larger size and think I may have hit a brick wall.

Does anyone have any suggestions of monofin companies that might have what I am looking for? I know Finis has some that are stiffer, I was ideally hoping to not spend $300.00 on a monofin and put more money in to the actual tail.

hmmmmmm :/

MerEmma
02-14-2013, 06:20 PM
The Oceanika isn't super stiff but I do know it is more stiff than you'd expect. Look into some videos for it, as it's made smaller...uhm. Hm. The Wave isn't very big, the Foil isn't...I'm kinda in the same dilemma. I wanted a Rapid but I'm too small so I settled on the Oceanika (getting it in April-May). But if the shape isn't for you, there aren't many options. =\

Ashe
02-14-2013, 06:36 PM
If you are crafty you can always make your own custom monofin. We have this tutorial here: mernetwork.com/imgs/Titania_Monofin.pdf (http://mernetwork.com/imgs/Titania_Monofin.pdf) The best materials (i've heard) are poleythylene and lexan. If making it isn't your thing, than the monofing that would fit your foot size sounds like it would be the Finis Wave. And even though it isn't as big as a Competitor or Oceanika, it is still pretty nice. And remember: You can have any size fluke you want, even with a smaller monofin. It all depends on how much material you put towards the fluke :) Hope I helped!

MermaidIsis
02-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Im not sure about size, but a compedetor is large and stiff, so try checking those out!

Ashe
02-14-2013, 07:47 PM
^ Yes, but she stated that she did not want to spend that money on a monofin, but use it to go to the actual tail ;)

MermaidIsis
02-14-2013, 07:52 PM
I really not the brightest crayon in the box am i kalani?

Disfusional
02-14-2013, 08:00 PM
I appreciate all your help. I will look at the link on creating my own mono fin, and that totally makes sense "stuffing"/layering the neoprene at the bottom of the fluke. Thank you for your help.

Winged Mermaid
02-14-2013, 09:39 PM
You can always have a larger fluke than the fin you have. Filling the bottom with silicone helps it be one solid piece with more bulk so the extra material doesn't look TOO floppy.

If you want to try the monofin route, look into overseas monofin manufacturers. The Monofin Manufacturers thread has tons. They tend to be a lot less expensive than the competitor, and they are much more customizable including a wider range of sizes. Good luck!

Mermaid Allie
02-15-2013, 12:46 AM
OMG SAME HERE IM A 5!!! Heres a fiberglass thats pretty cheap and has your size!!! http://www.freedivinginstructors.com/en/proshop/gear?page=shop.product_details&category_id=1&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=37

Mermaid Fenicia
02-15-2013, 03:42 AM
The Leaderfin monofin is quite cheap and even comes in kid-sizes ;)

Disfusional
02-15-2013, 08:51 AM
I appreciate all your help! I will check into everything you all have suggested. Thanks a ton!!

Lotus
02-15-2013, 09:14 AM
SpecialFins makes a small fiberglass mono too, and they run about 175 with shipping. Good luck!