PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ordered any tails from the states?

Lois
02-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone had bought a tail from the states or anything because some of the delivery charges are crazy.

I was looking at a mermaid bra from the mertailor and there was a $400 delivery charge, which seems insane to me!

So I was just wondering if anyone else from Europe had brought a tail from America, I think I can just about afford some of them but not with a massive delivery fee on top :/

Ashe
02-17-2013, 03:44 PM
A top with a $400 shipping cost? That's crazy! Haven't bought any tails from America though, sorry :(

Samantha Siren
02-17-2013, 04:33 PM
I bought my tail from the states.I got mine from Stephanie Summers of Fish Butts! She charged me $40 shipping for my tail even though it cost more than that to ship to the UK, she covered the rest herself! $400 for a top seems ridiculous!

English Mermaid Pearl
10-14-2013, 12:43 PM
I looked at that too Lois, I have just ordered some silicone shells to make a top off of Etsy (American seller) and the postage wasn't so bad... so now I'm waiting to see if I get charged by Customs (just my luck lol)

Maybe the Mertailor postage is so high to put people off or it's a mistake that no one has pointed out to them... does anyone know anyone who has a Mertailor tail in Europe/UK?

Ariel-Starfish
10-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Hm, thats just Crazy!

For my basic tail from Merbellas I had to pay around 400 Euro for my tail shipping + 603 euro tax handeling from FedEx when the package came.

Talia
10-14-2013, 02:53 PM
$400 euros for a top is a massive overcharge! I ordered a top from Merbella and it was $62 for shipping.
Of course, I know I will have to pay customs fees. I know they vary from country to country, but I don't know if they are the same for all the countries in the European Union (it would make sense to me). The top for customs fees in Spain is 120 euros.

I don't own a tail from the States though, sorry I can't help with that.

Samantha Siren
10-14-2013, 04:08 PM
I do, I will ask her for you but then again she bought it years ago.

Pascal21M
11-13-2013, 03:00 PM
I have ordered a mermaid tail from 2Tails.com

sparkles
01-01-2014, 08:16 PM
I am currently trying to decide between buying a tail from either mernation or finfolk productions. I have been quoted £400 shipping too, however I'm going to Florida ( disney world) in may ( which is when I want my tail for) and they have offered to ship it to me in Florida once I'm there for only $80 . Trying to decide which to do- at least il avoid import duties too that way. But I'm not sure if you can have mail arrive at your disney hotel? Or if there was another way of having it delivered?

Seatan
01-01-2014, 08:19 PM
The shock on this thread was that the $400 shipping was for a TOP, not a tail. I am in the US and paid $130 to ship my tail. I would ABSOLUTELY go with FinFolk! They are AMAZING, and TOTALLY worth any shipping!!!

sparkles
01-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeh that is pretty ridiculous for a top. I've just had some good news from disney site you can receive mail whilst staying in the hotel !! Yey that means finfolk can ship it to me whilst I'm in Florida for only $80 I'm so pleased. I loved the pics of their tails they look amazing I was just a bit scared of massive import duties ontop of high shipping costs! X

EdenSirene
01-01-2014, 09:14 PM
I would go with Fin Folk they have a guarantee on their tail and mine is from Mernation and has ripped several times even though I have taken great care of it. My second tail will definitely come from Fin Folk they are extremely talented and evenly priced .

Blondie
01-01-2014, 11:10 PM
O_o A TOP?!?!

Is it flying in on Air Force One?

sparkles
01-02-2014, 07:45 AM
Thank you edensirene that's very helpful in confirming my decision to go with finfolk x

EdenSirene
01-02-2014, 10:30 AM
I love the incredible paint work finfolkproduction does for almost nothing extra.. And Mernation charges $500 for a dorsal which is so much more than Finfolkproduction and I love Finfolkproduction's designs. The quality is far different and the pricing is just totally incomparable . I can't wait to order my second tail I'm counting down months . :)

EdenSirene
01-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Sparkles make sure you post pics of your tail I can't wait to see it!! Have fun designing I know you will it's the best part ������

Ariel-Starfish
01-02-2014, 10:36 AM
O_o A TOP?!?!

Is it flying in on Air Force One?

lol :lol:

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
My top wasn't that expensive from Merbella's. Also she wrote the value was $10 so no import charges :D

sparkles
01-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Sparkles make sure you post pics of your tail I can't wait to see it!! Have fun designing I know you will it's the best part ������

I will def post pics , thank you For your interest x I'm so excited. I keep googling other people's tails on the Internet and looking at tails on you tube, I can't wait for my own and to meet with other mers for a swim x exciting x

EdenSirene
01-07-2014, 02:40 AM
I just wanted to say I was just at Merfest and I was blown away at the amazing Finfolkproduction tails! Merbellas were amazing too . I would be shooting for those ones and while I was there of coarse mine ripped even more . Which needless to say was very sad !!

Mermaid Zaffiro
02-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Hm, thats just Crazy!

For my basic tail from Merbellas I had to pay around 400 Euro for my tail shipping + 603 euro tax handeling from FedEx when the package came.

O___O it's insane!....

I want to have my tail,but...Tail + shipping + euro tax.... I should save money for two or three lifes!

Ariel-Starfish
02-24-2014, 12:34 PM
yup...;:cry:

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
02-24-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm curious how much tax I'll have to pay when my Finfolk tail will arrive.

Pascal21M
02-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Why is that so expensive?

Merman Arion
02-24-2014, 06:50 PM
I'm curious how much tax I'll have to pay when my Finfolk tail will arrive.

I have the same fear as you... :biting nails:

Pascal21M
02-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Why?? I cant understand it

Vixy
03-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Oh dear, I'm scared to order a tail from the States now!

selkie13
05-17-2014, 08:23 AM
you could just go on holiday to the states then bring it on the plane back. Well if your planning on going at some point anyway if not its probably cheaper to just pay postage. But mertailor postage is extortionate! I ask how much it was for a tail postage wise and he said 500/600 dollars!

Mermaid Zaffiro
05-24-2014, 03:44 PM
so sad!!!! :(

Winged Mermaid
05-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Makes me glad I live in the States! Huge package + heavy item = very high shipping. (Was $150 for me and in in the states.) International for that is crazy amounts, especially if you want insurance. Just the nature of the beast :/

Mermaid Amelia
05-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Me and Jess are getting ours shipped together in hopes that will save us something. It's still going to be a killer $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vicky Mermaid
05-30-2014, 04:44 AM
We all just have to wait and see... Also just ordered a tail from the states...

Naomi
08-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Hello Evetyone

I'm Naomi from Belgium, and i'm gonna try in a coppel of mounth's to make for my own a mermaid tail full in silicone. And when that works out whel i mayby can make it for some ppl. But i dont wanna say it to loud, becaus now i started whit the whole proces of the making proces. And hopes it turns out alright :)

Jadestone
09-02-2014, 11:39 AM
wow :o Almost more worth it to have one person fly to the US, pack up all the tops/tails they can into a suitcase, and fly back!

It's probably a good thing I have to wait until I back in the states before I think about buying more mermaid stuff anyway I guess x_x

Pascal21M
09-02-2014, 02:49 PM
But will that be cheaper??

Mermaid Daenerys
09-02-2014, 04:05 PM
But will that be cheaper??

My understanding is that by bringing them back from the States in a suitcase you then wouldn't have to pay postage, obviously (unless you got it posted to you while in the States) and that tax most likely doesn't apply either, which (especially if you're bringing a few tails over) would make it a lot cheaper. I have heard that some people worked out that it is in some cases more cost-efficient to go the States and bring your tail back yourself rather than pay postage.

Mermaid Daenerys
09-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Hello Evetyone

I'm Naomi from Belgium, and i'm gonna try in a coppel of mounth's to make for my own a mermaid tail full in silicone. And when that works out whel i mayby can make it for some ppl. But i dont wanna say it to loud, becaus now i started whit the whole proces of the making proces. And hopes it turns out alright :) Good luck with your tailmaking, then, Naomi - I can't wait to see how it turns out (and if it does, and you start selling them, put my name top of the waiting list) xD

Mermaid Zaffiro
09-05-2014, 03:44 PM
@Naomi that's a good thing! Wait for you ^_^ good luck!

Mermaid Neri Elvina
09-09-2014, 07:59 AM
I am ordering a FinFun tail when I have enough, now I'm worried about the shipping and customs charge. I bought a top from america and the customs charge was over £20! Ugh, so glad my parents are paying shipping and customs. I only have to pay £98.48....

Talia
12-08-2014, 11:18 AM
My top wasn't that expensive from Merbella's. Also she wrote the value was $10 so no import charges :D

She did that to me too, about the declared value. The shipping was indeed $62, but I discover upon receiving the package that it actually was $25.

Samantha Siren
12-08-2014, 11:47 AM
I just paid a grand total of
$25 to have my silicone top send from North Carolina to England.

Mermaid Martha
12-16-2014, 08:28 AM
Hey everyone,
I ordered a tail from Mernation this December and it will be posted in January. I'm a little worried about the cost of shipping and customs as it has to get to the UK. I'll post on here when I know how much it will be! I have a youtube channel if anyone is interested. I'm trying to document everything with this exciting experience!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_sdXGvX7rUmiKisgWw-J-Q
Also does anyone have any tips on how to keep shipping costs down?
Thanks!

Pascal21M
12-25-2014, 09:47 AM
I have ordered a latex tail in November which I have paid 650€ from Under Sea Mermaidtails. Ihope the shipping and the customs cost wont be expensive.

Vicky Mermaid
02-05-2015, 08:11 AM
Just Curious European Mers. How did it go with shipping and customs?

Pascal21M
02-11-2015, 02:33 PM
I hope it wont be much extra costs for my tail.

Vicky Mermaid
03-20-2015, 04:44 PM
Anyone?

Ithilindil
05-08-2015, 04:29 PM
It has been a longtime since I posted here. I have bought a mermaid tail in Germany to Magictail. I do not remember how much did the shipping cost but it was not expensive. When you buy inside UE it is not as expensive as if you buy it in USA by example. I know there is a tailmaker in Toulouse not too far from my city. She makes elasthane and latex mermaid tails that are good-looking in my opinion. I think I will buy one in latex one day. However my dream is to have one in silicone. Unfortunately, I haven't found any tailmaker in Europe who makes silicone mermaid tail. So I consider to buy one to Fin Fun productions or to Merbella Studio. I find their designs gorgeous. For the shipping cost, it depends on the mode of expedition and also I would have to pay 20% VAT. So I will save a huge amount of money to buy a mermaid tail or travel in the USA to get one.

I do not know how it is for the other mers but here it is quite uneasy to mermaiding because people are not used to. Nevertheless, I found a swimming pool which accepts the monofin. I will try to bring my whole tail with me when I will go to that swimming pool. Last summer, I have try my tail for the first time in a river spot. People watched me and some asked me some questions but it was ok. It was also the first time I swam with a mermaid tail and I was not glorious at all ;). There were a lot of storm and the water was not clear and I could not see well underwater. My short experience allows me to tell that people are surprised and curious maybe sometimes dubitative and hilarious but never hostile.

Merman Arion
05-08-2015, 04:33 PM
So I consider to buy one to Fin Fun productions or to Merbella Studio.

You meant "Finfolk Productions" right? ;)

Yulia
05-08-2015, 04:46 PM
"I know there is a tailmaker in Toulouse not too far from my city. She makes elasthane and latex mermaid tails that are good-looking in my opinion. I think I will buy one in latex one day"

Absolutely don't.
I got one from her and after two times it broke.
I have a thread about it.

Merman Arion
05-08-2015, 04:50 PM
"I know there is a tailmaker in Toulouse not too far from my city. She makes elasthane and latex mermaid tails that are good-looking in my opinion. I think I will buy one in latex one day"

Absolutely don't.
I got one from her and after two times it broke.
I have a thread about it.

I STRONGLY second that!

DON'T. EVER. :no-no:

Ithilindil
05-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Do you know Aurore from Creation Sirene?

Merman Arion
05-08-2015, 05:13 PM

I do.
And trust me, you DON'T want to make business with her if you really wish to own a tail WORTH the amount of money you will spend on it.

Yulia
05-08-2015, 06:56 PM

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9427-My-tail-from-Aurore-la-sir%E8ne&highlight=tail+aurore

Feilian
05-09-2015, 04:01 AM
I haven't ordered a tail from out of the EU, but I do order a lot of clothing from Japan. I always use http://www.invoercalculator.nl to calculate what I roughly have to pay (it is all in Dutch, sorry). Here in The Netherlands charges can be more than half of the cost of your item :jawdrop:

Echidna
05-09-2015, 05:32 AM
Here in The Netherlands charges can be more than half of the cost of your item :jawdrop:
Germany, too.
Shipping is often the same amount as the entire order.
And that is BEFORE adding taxes...

selkie13
06-16-2015, 05:49 PM
It probably is a lot cheaper just to make one yourself at this rate for us euro-mers. Still not cheap but if you are paying half of the cost of your tail on top of the actual tail... I would be willing to put in the effort and make my own just because of the cost being so ridiculous.

selkie13
06-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Yup works out at about, £800-£900 to make a tail in the UK but £2200+ to buy one in from the states.
I'm just guessing the postage is about 200-300 I'm probably wrong

SummerRogue
06-22-2015, 02:06 PM
I was in Florida anyway so I picked up my tail then so i cant say anything about postage but if you get the right conversion rate american tails are not as expensive as they seem. I bought from Mernation :) In love with my tail!

Seatan
06-22-2015, 02:54 PM
My new tail is going to have to come to me in Honduras. I already know it will cost a bundle to ship... I just hope it makes it within a month or two! Some of my friends didn't receive their Christmas gifts until late February! (And their families mailed them early!) I guess this is what happens when your address is akin to "The Second House Down From the Red and Green Bar, Utila, Honduras."