PDA

View Full Version : THoughts on the "Miranda" tail

merboy78xy
08-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Hey y'all
So I caught a snippet of the mermaid movie "Miranda" which I've never seen before... heard about it a bunch. Anyone seen it?
Was it good?

Well... my question is about the tail they put her in. For the most part, I'm sure all of the "sitting" poses she does is just her in a hole in a rock and a rubber puppet tail around her waist, operated by someone else. But She has a swimming tail as well, and the thing looks like it has some pretty good movement. It's interesting to me, because it has a sleek "dolphin" look with a sturdy fluke, but her feet are clearly not in the "ankle" of the tail before the fluke... they must be further up in the body of the tail. So how did they get such good movement and swimability?
I would assume it's like the tails from HOOK, but it looks like it's sturdier than those floppy tails. I wonder how they did it... any ideas?

Here's the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiwWdtETAKo&feature=related

Mermaid Kalliope
08-17-2011, 05:02 AM
I looks like the movement of her legs is continued down the tail to the fluke, which causes the propulsion. -shrugs- I'm no expert, but that's what it looks like. As for material, I have no clue.

AniaR
08-17-2011, 12:49 PM
aquamarine has 3 tails to make her and one was anamatronic. Maybe something similar /easier?

Aquatarian
08-17-2011, 07:42 PM
I think it's like a super super simple h2o or aquamarine tail.

The tail is just cast super thick and extends past her feet. I know in Hook, they contoured the tails around their heels and feet to make a curve in the tail and there's a complicated foot-pedal system with the JMB FX tails. Plus It would be easy to hide this actresses heels because in real life she was kind of short so I guess they just filled a little bit extra rubber in and made the smooth tail in the movie.

Something that really surprised me was how realistic this tail looks on film even compared to tails nowadays. There is absolutely no hint of a heel in it and, even though it looks a little awkward to swim in underwater, it's still really cool.

MermaidNerenia
08-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Who made the Hook tails?

Aquatarian
08-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Who made the Hook tails?
I have no idea! D: *runs away to research*

MermaidNerenia
08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
The movie HOOK was where i think i first (no pun intended) got hooked on mermaids, I loved the bright colors of them and their tails were gorgeous. The only information I can find is that perhaps a studio called Cannom Creations designed them.

MermaidSaku
08-18-2011, 04:46 PM
I saw hook after i saw Splash i was pretty young so i can't remember how old i was. I always wanted a tail like the blue mermaid in the movie.
I have no idea who made those tails but they look amazing and are so very realistic. No ankles! :D

Aquatarian
08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Ugh. I hate that there is like no info on this. :/

the only name I could track down on top of that for the movie was Keven VanHook but it says nothing about him doing anything with costuming effects so idk.

MermaidNerenia
08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
We have a mer-mystery!

merboy78xy
08-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I've been trying to do some research as well and I found a google search that included the name Michael Measimer with some quote about him painting mermaid tails and the title Hook somewhere in there, but the search engine can't find the server when you click on it. So I don't know. I IMDB'd him and he's done a lot of special effects makeup, but hook isn't on there. I also am quite fond of the hook tails... I love how the fluke moves so fluidly in the water.
If anyone finds out any info, lemme know!!

Lyssie
06-16-2012, 07:41 AM
I googled and found this:
"Miranda and Mad About Men
In England, Glynis Johns was also being turned into a mermaid in 1948. Her tail for MIRANDA was created by what the opening movie credits refer to as "Dunlop." Who or what Dunlop was remains a mystery, but the tail is remarkably realistic looking. Designed to look more like a dolphin's tail than a fishtail, it worked very well in the few underwater shots.
Some of the shots of Miranda above water were achieved by having her sit inside part of the set, such as a rock, so that the tail could be molded and moved like a real fishtail. In the first shot of Miranda in her cave, her legs are actually behind the rocky set, and the tail is fastened to her only at the waist. The rest of the tail is empty so that it can be curved. Unfortunately, we can actually see the string pulling the edges of flukes to make them slap against the rocks.
Ms. Johns would once again turn into a mermaid in the 1954 sequel MAD ABOUT MEN in which she had a mermaid sister. Though Ms. Johns attributed her stardom to these two film, they are rarely shown on American TV"

Another site claims her tail was made by the fashion house Donlop for $1800

yet another site claims "Dunlop" is in reference to a rubber & tire company.

In this photo you can kinda see where I think her heels are:

Lyssie
06-16-2012, 07:52 AM
The only info I can find on the hook mermaids are that the red one was Regina Russell. Here is a photo of her in costume out of the water (unfortunately you can't see her fluke :( 3379

*edit*
did more digging, merboy78y was on the right track. Michael Measimer is credited for painting the tails and doing on-set makeup. The creation company listed is Cannom Creations. A Greg Cannom is credited with "special makeup" for Hook so that might be another lead :P Keith Vanderlaan is listed as a special effects makeup technician for Cannom Creations and is credited for Hook as well.

merboy78xy
06-24-2012, 03:09 AM
Hey Lyssie--
I tried to see the pic you attached of Regina Russell out of water, but it was expired or something... do you know where you found that pic?

deepblue
06-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Just an FYI: Both Miranda and Mad About Men were on Netflix in the US, last I saw. I watched them both last summer.

merboy78xy
07-01-2012, 03:40 AM
yeah, I just watched them both for my first time this week. I thoroughly enjoyed them! such fun! And they tails I thought were pretty damn good! especially for back then!