PDA

View Full Version : Wigs

MermaidSyren
02-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Anyone wear a wig while swimming? How do they hold up? DOI need a certain type of wig?

MermaidBrittany
02-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Hey, Im not sure about wigs, I would think they would get really tangled and gnarled. :/
However, I am in Washington too! Would you like to formally introduce yourself to the forum? :D

http://mernetwork.com/index/forumdisplay.php?7-Introduce-Yourself

Mizuko
02-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Its possible to swim with wigs- just make sure they are cheep as they get TRASHED after a while. haha! You can wash them afterwards, but be prepared to comb them for a long time. I'd recommend just wearing one for a special occasion/photoshoot, because afterwards it will be close to being ruined and its a waste of money if you've got a nice wig. I only know all this because my friend swims with a wig and its at the point of being one big knot- and she's only swam in it twice. XD

Winged Mermaid
02-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Wigs require a lot of special maintenance just for normal wear, I can't imagine the work you'd have to do on wigs that you swim in O_o There are mers that do it though. Blue Mermaid and Sirena I know use them. They say they use LOTS of bobby pins to keep them on. Cheap ones would be a good bet, but I wonder if the hair would fall out in the water a lot if they were too cheap? Don't know enough about this stuff :P

Mermaid Fenicia
02-22-2013, 02:52 AM
I swim with a good wig when I'm doing a character (like Ariel or Misty). When the wig arrives I spray it with silicon-spray and comb it so there are no tangles. I also adapt the inside so it stay very snugly on my head. After each use I spray and comb it again to make it tangle-free again. The silicon-spray helps to get the tangles out easier than just combing. ;)

MermaidNerenia
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
I wear ALOT of wigs even in everyday life, plus I make synthetic hair sculptures. The trick to wig-swimming (can I coin that?) is that you need a sturdy base to attach to, and a quality wig. Synthetic fiber wigs (the plasticy feeling ones) are crap pure and simple. But human hair ones can be really pricey. I always tend to buy Kanekalon wigs. The fibers are closer to human hair, you can buy ones you can style and they are about mid-range on price.

With wigs you have to love them, to make them last, wash them with a good wig shampoo (exandoh on Etsy sells scented ones) and comb them after each use and invest in a styrofam wig head to keep it on. My spare room is creepy because there are over a dozen faceless wig busts holding all my wigs.

Girls with longer hair its easier to create a sturdy base for the wig to rest on. Slick your hair back in a ponytail and pomade the hell outta it. Then braid the pony and coil it around your head. At this point you can either use a wig cap (I always do) or you can put the wig on. You are going to need to bobby pin like crazy punching through the mesh of the wig cap but once you get finished those suckers won't fall off.

Traveling Merman
02-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Or if you have shorter hair try a set of tights (pantyhose) go for xxxtra small place gusset on the head and wrap legs round crossing at front and back bobby pint through each of the feet and fix in place the legs need to be really really tight so it's firmly on you're head! Then bobby pin the wig to your head using the tights as a base to anchor the wig to, the tighter the tights/panty hose are wrapped around you're head the better! Remember beauty is pain!

Traveling Merman
02-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Also wigs are synthetic and plastic and you should treat them as such, as they aren't real. I've used and other drag performers I know use fabric detergents and then fabric softeners if the wig needs its, afterwards is lots of combing and brushing and then if you want the wig to be more glossy you can use furniture polish!

Traveling Merman
02-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Check out on you tube; Misty Eyez wigs!

katherinerice
04-01-2024, 04:53 AM
Wearing a wig while swimming is possible, but there are a few important considerations to keep in mind. Firstly, not all wigs are designed to be worn while swimming and playing bloxd io (https://bloxdio2.com), so it's crucial to choose a wig specifically labeled as "swim-friendly" or "water-resistant." These wigs are typically made from synthetic fibers that are more resistant to the damaging effects of chlorine, saltwater, and UV rays. It's important to note that human hair wigs are generally not recommended for swimming as they can become easily damaged.