PDA

View Full Version : Floaty Mermaid Hair

MermaidNerenia
02-22-2013, 02:55 PM
So I think I read somewhere to comb oil into your hair for underwater photos, video, and etc...because it makes it more floaty and span out more. Anyone tried this? Look at the mermaid scenes from Hook. Their hair floats almost straight up, maybe they used that? Curiouser and curiouser.

Nerenia

Winged Mermaid
02-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Interesting thought.. I dunno! Last time I put oil in my hair it was too much of a mess in the pool and in the shower afterward X_x My hair isn't as flowy as I'd like it to be though.. I think that comes from it being long and really fine. It spreads out but it looks awkward becuase it's there's not a mass of thick hair to get the more flowly look. If that makes sense.

MerEmma
02-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Interesting thought.. I dunno! Last time I put oil in my hair it was too much of a mess in the pool and in the shower afterward X_x My hair isn't as flowy as I'd like it to be though.. I think that comes from it being long and really fine. It spreads out but it looks awkward becuase it's there's not a mass of thick hair to get the more flowly look. If that makes sense.

Yeah, that totally makes sense!! I've never tried this before but my hair is pretty thick so I don't have the same issue as you do. Your hair does look very pretty in the gif in your signature though, haha. :P

Taniira
02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
I use Moroccan oil in my hair on a regular basis now, but I just started after swimming season ended. My hair is still pretty short, though, so I don't know how much effect it'd have anyway. I won't be swimming again for at least another month or so, but it does leave your hair super soft :)

Ithilindil
05-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I do not use anything. I went to a spa, lately, and its water is naturally salty. I wore a cap but even with it my hair was wet and I realised after taking a shower and shampoo my hair that it was softer and shinier and they stayed clean longer.

Kumori Kitsune
07-31-2013, 10:10 PM
i'm not sure I have to wash my hair alot because its very oily and think my hair is curlly so that might have some thing to do with it. in the water its a flowy but when i get out it gets stringy and recurls

Echidna
08-01-2013, 12:11 AM
I wouldn't put oil or stuff on me for swimming.
The pool's water is messy enough as it is :p

I think that the thinner and finer the hair, the easier it floats;
thick and heavy hair won't float and fan out as much.
At least, my hair is fine and thin and pretty long, and unless I firmly braid and put it up, I'll swim in a big cloud of wavy, kelp-like hair all the time
(= zero visibility for me), therefore I usually no longer swim with my natural hair open lol.

MermaidClara
11-04-2013, 03:00 AM
actuaallllly if you put oil in your hair (castor oil preferred if you haven't used oil before swimming) it will add some protection to your hair against the harsh pool chemicals, i put olive oil/castory oil in my hair before i go swimming but only a fine amount, a few drops on my hand and then i seperate my hair into 3 different sections and rub it in (gently) you dont want it to be super oily and slick it just needs to feel slightly oil as if you havent quite washed your hair properly
I'd only recommend this for pools though, sea water is different i actually put in conditioner when i go swimming in the sea :)

Jeblily
11-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Hmm I don't know how your hair will react to the oil..... I think that unless your hair absorbs enough oil to make it float it won't really have the effect you are looking for, and the oil would probably leave your hair pretty quickly. My hair will float straight up and it is a PAIN, people used to stare at my hair when I went swimming because my hair would float and I would sink. The floaty hair also results in being strangled by you own hair!!! LOL Good luck though :P

Fun123joker
11-05-2013, 07:52 PM
if only i knew that when i had long hair. i loved swiming but i hated how the pool fills up with chlorine and i always have to wash it out

drucilla
11-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Condition the heck out of it before hand.