PDA

View Full Version : Starting My First Mermaid Top - Pictures

Disfusional
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
So after all the sales at hobby lobby these past two weeks it seems I have acquired the necessary materials to start my top. I came home today from work and wanted to play with some sea shells. One thing led to another and I am laying out my sea shells on a bra.

I would love any and all feedback and opinions you want to give me. What you do not see is the fishing net that is going to be covering the actual bra and some of the shells. It is going to also create the halter-like straps and material to hang down from the center of the top.

I did not want to post all the progress photos. There are a couple more on my facebook. I'll keep updating this thread the more I get done. ^^

MermaidDiaries1
02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
It's great for a beginner!( title says 'first top' so i assume you are a beginner) I've had multiple unsuccessful attempts at making something that good. Remember that if you are glueing shells on any mesh like-fabric, that once you put it on the mesh with stretch and the glue might come off in some places. The netting will make it look really good too. For a more fantasy/feminine looking appeal, maybe add some pearls and hints of glitter. Or for a more realistic looking top, you're on the right track. :D

ShyMer
02-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I might be careful about the shells on the sides. They might be uncomfortable on the undersides of your arms. If you can temporarily attach them there and put it on, it might be a good idea to see if it bothers you any. I really like that greenery you found. It has a nice amount of red on the leaves. I might have to swing by ours and pick some up.

Disfusional
02-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Love the feedback! I know I will be sewing on the nettin and liquid nail the lion paw shells on. As for the side shells, I plan on drilling holes and sewin them on too. Which will help if they do cause irritation under my arms. I'm

Disfusional
03-28-2013, 12:42 PM
A lot has happened sense I started this thread and posted the first pictures. We ended up moving and all my mermaid stuff had to be boxed up. However, after settling in a bit I managed to unbox all the important things.

Here is what the top looks like right now.

Just have to attach the foliage to the top and the seashells!!! I am really excited about this!

Disfusional
03-29-2013, 04:27 PM

Another update. I am on a roll!!

Everything you see is sewn on so far. I am trying to eliminate the harmful toxins of glue that are not good for aquatic life. The only part of this project that is going to have glue on it is the main lion paw shells.

ButterflyVision
03-29-2013, 05:23 PM
It's looking really good. Its gonna look even better when you put the shells on! Eeeeep! Excitement is contagious!! :)

Mermaid Tula
03-29-2013, 05:40 PM
I have a question, where did you get your netting? I can't find the right kind of netting anywhere. I bought some the other day and the holes are HUGE. (2inches by 2 inches holes)

Disfusional
03-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks so much ButterflyVision. I are at my mothers for Easter, when I get home I'll post a picture of the top as of right now with the lion paw shells on it. I'm working on a center piece for the top and drilling holes in seashells to hang off sections of the top.

Comatose_Angel, I went to hobby lobby and bought it. Is was roughly 12.99 for the bag and there is a lot of netting still left after 2 layers. More then likely enough for another top.

MermaidBrittany
03-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Sorry, random question, does your netting smell funny?? I bought some and it has an interesting aroma...

Thalassa
03-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Sorry, random question, does your netting smell funny?? I bought some and it has an interesting aroma...

Mine did, too! It took a few months of airing to stop smelling, and even now it still smells a bit when it gets wet.

MermaidBrittany
03-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Mine did, too! It took a few months of airing to stop smelling, and even now it still smells a bit when it gets wet.
Ok glad im not the only one! Maybe something can reduce the smell? Hmmm

Winged Mermaid
03-31-2013, 11:13 PM
That's because it's actual recycled fishing net :) I've heard mermaids just throw it in the washing machine after they get it and let it air dry and the smell comes out.

Top is looking great!

Disfusional
04-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Yes, mine smelt funny as well. However, instead of the washing machine. I simply let it soak in a sink of hot water with a little dish soap for about 30 min then hung it over the shower rod. No more smell. It dried pretty fast too.

MermaidBrittany
04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, mine smelt funny as well. However, instead of the washing machine. I simply let it soak in a sink of hot water with a little dish soap for about 30 min then hung it over the shower rod. No more smell. It dried pretty fast too.

Thank you! :)

MermaidBrittany
04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Just washed it and the water turned a nasty dark brown o.0 I had NO idea that it was that dirty......

Disfusional
04-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I added the Lion's Paw Seashells. So far this is the only glue that I have used in this project.

MermaidBrittany
04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Looks awesome! Really the only glue? Did you jest weave everything else together? :)

Mermaid Harmony
04-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Where did you buy your lion paw shells from? I love the foliage part. It's turning out awesome!

Mermaid Tula
04-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Looks great!!

Disfusional
04-02-2013, 09:41 AM
MermaidBrittany: Yup, the only part that I have used glue on. Everything else is sewn on.

Mermaid Harmony: I bought the Lion Paw seashells at Hobby Lobby. The store close to me had a small box of them. I sat down in the store and went through all of them to pick to two that I liked the most. I believer they were only $2.99 each.

Comatose Angel: Thanks so much. I broke a drill bit while I was putting holes in seashells. Have to go and replace that today before I can start working more on this project.

**There are more in progress photos on my facebook page if you are curious.**

Disfusional
04-10-2013, 07:22 PM
TaaDaaaa

Kanti
04-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Wow awesome work!
I love how you layered the seaweed! It made for an awesome finished look.

How heavy is it btw?

MerEmma
04-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Ooh, so pretty! I love it too. I love the added shells on the front <3

Disfusional
04-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Kanti: Thank for the compliment. It does not weight more then 4 pounds. That is high-balling the weight. I have a bigger chest and needed to make sure the the seaweed would cover everything it needed too. haha

Meremma: Thank you so much!!!

It was indeed a fun project!

Kumori Kitsune
07-31-2013, 01:35 AM
They are so cute great job

Disfusional
07-31-2013, 11:07 AM
They are so cute great job

Thank you so much!