PDA

View Full Version : top coverage

Mermaid Avalon
02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
hi everyone..
I had my first business meeting today as a mer to go over an earth day event I am appearing at in April:) The man I was speaking with asked about the top i would be wearing and mentioned that the more coverage, the better. I am wondering what styles any of you wear if more coverage is needed. I am thinking of attaching some netting to cover whatever parts of my stomach are exposed....

MermaidDiaries1
02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Check out some of mermaid melissa's tops. She had some that had a netting over, which was somewhat covering. Then there are some octopus top that are covering(not as much, but more than the typical shell bra), and then there are the rarely seen scale corset. MerBellas shows a picture and the Mertailor had one at his MerQueens calendar shoot. The corset is like a one-piece except covered in well, scales. Hope this helped and good luck!:)

ShyMer
02-25-2013, 11:01 PM
I think there are some threads out there discussing tops that cover more. I can't remember what kind of tail you have, was it spandex?

if it is, perhaps you could do something fun with a tankini style top. I would probably want to make a matching top and paint scales on it, perhaps in an attempt to make it look like your scales go all the way up to your shoulders.

You could also try wearing a leotard underneath. Once again, you could try painting it, or you could simply wear a regular top over the leotard. I think Mermaid Mimi does something like this.

I was thinking of covering a bra with some of my latex scales. I haven't worked out how i plan on doing it yet, but I was considering using a strapless bra as a base but netting to hold it up, perhaps in a bikini top shape. We'll see I guess.

Winged Mermaid
02-26-2013, 02:34 AM
If you want to just cover more of the chest just pick a full coverage bra to make a top with, and one that doesn’t have any push up factor. If you want to cover more of your stomach, that can be solved by either making a more covering top or just putting something underneath your mermaid top.

If you don’t want to make a top just for an event, I’ve seen people wear things under their mermaid tops- tanktops, tankinis, one piece bathing suits (also worn under the tail as well), translucent and opaque veils, flowy blouses, ect. I’ve also seen mermaid wear underbust corsets over top their tail so it covers the gap between tail and top- you can see how that looks in this picture of Enid Darkwater (aka Scrap the Junk Fairy) (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=254728834644450&set=o.193293717380727&type=3&permPage=1). Keep in mind that is a corset with steel boning, so a costume corset with plastic boning will not look as good.

If you want to make a top, I’ve seen a few ways to get more coverage. Thalassa (http://mernetwork.com/index/member.php?921-Thalassa) has a neoprene and latex scale top that covers her chest area modestly as well as cover all the way to the waist. People bring up scale corsets- you can make those with costume/lingerie corsets and the imprint scale technique with material of your choice. I’ve seen people take costume or lingerie corsets or even lingerie top that has a hanging bottom (dunno what they’re called) into shell tops by adding shells and other decor like netting and seaweed. Here’s a top by one of the Portland Aquarium mermaids. (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=647402385286020&set=pb.489580357734891.-2207520000.1361863401&type=3&theater) I’ve also seen a lot of netting draped from tops, but enough to get any decent coverage is kind of busy looking.

Hope that helps! If you decide to make something, hope you’ll update with pics later!