PDA

View Full Version : chair for staging appearance

Mermaid Avalon
03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
hi everyone--- so I have been racking my brain as far as how to stage appearances as a mer....I have a gig coming up on earth day which will entail me sitting and talking with children and families about marine conservation. I was thinking of a prop boat--- but I cant find one. I was thinking of having my husband build me a wooden "dock", kind of like this one...
...and attaching some rope, netting, etc. around the posts. I'm not sure about how to transport such a prop, as in, I am thinking it might be too heavy to manuver on my own.
I'm thinking what might be easiest is a fancy-ish chair. Something I can attach shells and even seaweed to......I was thinking of this chair....
It might look nice in photos and there is def room for me to be creative with it as far as attaching embellishments. My friend owns it and says I am more than welcome to it. I suppose the rattan furniture trend of the 80's is over and many garages/attics are being graced by pieces like this! haha!
Advice and comments are appreciated!

Winged Mermaid
03-02-2013, 06:34 PM
A dock.. I had never thought of that- that's pretty cool! If you want to go for the dock, I'd say put strong wheels on the bottom of the posts to turn it into a rolling dock. Maybe a handle or a rope on one of the ends so someone can push/pull you around. I know Oceana has a prop boat that has wheels on it, but it's tiiiiny. I've heard they're easy to build, but really I have no idea :P

I've seen a lot of mers have dressed up chairs like that. I think Moon Mermaid has a wicker chair and she drapes blue materials and netting on it for that mermaid touch. So I think the chair would work just fine :)

Mermaid Avalon
03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
great idea for the wheels! that will work well for a parade I am planning on doing soon! thanks for the advice! i think we are going to go with both ideas---I like having options:) XOOX