PDA

View Full Version : NO Mermaid tails allowed !!!!!

Candytails
03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
How do you find a pool that allows mer fins? I got kicked out of a pool half way through my workout yesterday. Totally put a damper on my day. I know I'm not the only one. Stupid life guards...ggrrr

MerEmma
03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
Ugh, I know, it's hard. YMCA's don't allow it I know but I have a local pool that's very lax because they don't make much money (they'll take what guests they can get) and they'll probably allow it once I get a tail but I'm not for sure. A lot of hotel pools allow it. Just call around and make sure to tell them that a monofin is used by professionals and for workouts, they it assists you to swim, that you're a strong, capable swimmer, et cetera.

Candytails
03-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Its not the usual one that I go to . Mine just happened to be closed that day and I needed some water. It just shocked me where said I can have flippers but not a mermaid tail . Totally racist foot flopper

MerAnthony
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
I have a YMCA that allows tails and monofins, that's weird that yours said no. That was one of the first questions I asked about the pool. An they said that it was fine and had no problem with it. The people an the life guards said it was cool.

Alveric
03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
It's hard to have a standard, sensible policy about something that's still unfamiliar to most people, therefor the inconsistent hodgepodge of rules. As people in general become more familiar and more comfortable with swimmers wearing monofins and tails, things ought to improve. (Of course, on the other hand, logic doesn't always win.)

MerAnthony
03-04-2013, 12:42 PM
It's hard to have a standard, sensible policy about something that's still unfamiliar to most people, therefor the inconsistent hodgepodge of rules. As people in general become more familiar and more comfortable with swimmers wearing monofins and tails, things ought to improve. (Of course, on the other hand, logic doesn't always win.)
So very true. Like up at a local camp site where my gf's aunt lives they say that it is ok to swim in a tail and fins and what have you, but I also went to a state camp site for a few days, an they said no because they considered monofins and tails to be underwater apparatus for diving.:doh: Go figure

MerEmma
03-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I have a YMCA that allows tails and monofins, that's weird that yours said no. That was one of the first questions I asked about the pool. An they said that it was fine and had no problem with it. The people an the life guards said it was cool.

What really?! It says so on the main Y site I thought.

Kanti
03-04-2013, 02:25 PM

This

Candytails
03-04-2013, 03:01 PM
The attendant at the door and locker room saw me holding my monofin. When I was sitting on the deep side of the pool putting my monofin on the life guard asked me to take my socks off but that I could wear it. Giving me a new blister and a few slips Then halfway through my workout he said it was to busy when I had been swimming with kids the whole time.it was an indoor all year round pool.

MerAnthony
03-04-2013, 03:09 PM
9864Emma that depends on what Y site you go on. I live in upstate NY in Amsterdam an I went to the Y in johnstown. It's a new place an when I called for prices I asked if I could use a monofin there? An they said that it was ok to use in the pool.

Candytails
03-04-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm still working on my fabric tail. Can't wait to swim in it!

Winged Mermaid
03-04-2013, 06:44 PM
There was a bit on places banning mermaiding in this thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2510-Places-Banning-Mermaiding&p=30789&viewfull=1#post30789). Basically my input is to go to the manager or the lifegaurds and educate them as to why your tail is a swim AID and piece of water equipment, not a swim hindrance or danger. Explain to them the materials it's made of and why it's suited for water wear. Offer to do a swim test for them in tail to show them you are capable. Some have suggested legal liability waivers as well. For those who go pro performer's insurance is a big weight off everyone involved, including when you're at a pool for practice (not an actual gig). This may not always work, but it can't hurt to give it a try! Education is the first step, right? :)

Candytails
03-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I started to do that but you know sometimes people get snippy. I wont forget next time to ask if they're accepted or not before I waste mytime again

MerEmma
03-04-2013, 07:03 PM
9864Emma that depends on what Y site you go on. I live in upstate NY in Amsterdam an I went to the Y in johnstown. It's a new place an when I called for prices I asked if I could use a monofin there? An they said that it was ok to use in the pool.

Lucky! My Y is super super strict. No swim fins unless being used for laps, no floatation devices at all, no-one under 2 can swim, etc.

Mermaid Pickles
03-04-2013, 07:24 PM
My Y let me, and they even asked me if I'd come back during the summer when they do swim lessons with kids. I think they wanted the kids to realize what you can do once you learn to swim. But my dad's neighborhood pool lifeguards don't really want me doing it. Two of them (the girl lifeguards, oddly) will let me, the guys won't. O.o Weirded me out, but yeah....

Sephina
03-04-2013, 07:38 PM
I was lucky last year. A local bar/inn/restaurant was letting me use their salt water pool (outdoor, and heated. It was heaven!). I called ahead and the manager basically just came out, watched me swim, made sure I knew what I was doing and then she was cool with me using the pool. However I just found out it's in the process of being sold so chances are I may not be as lucky anymore. :( I think once you prove that you can handle yourself in the flipper and you know what you are doing they are generally ok with it.

Usagi
03-04-2013, 07:42 PM
What they told me at my Y was that I can wear my monofin (I asked to wear it in the lap lanes) but if the lanes get too full, I need to take it off because they don't want me accidentally hitting someone in the face Haha I haven't tried wearing a tail yet, but I will once I finish my new one. Can I ask where your Y is?

Candytails
03-04-2013, 09:26 PM
I've been using the olympic pool at usc. They let me use it ...no one batted an eye. I guess our public pools just have those weird rules

Blondie
03-05-2013, 12:08 AM
I've said this a dozen times before so ignore me if you've heard this speech already xD

As a lifeguard, you HAVE to enforce the rules. For me, I could lose my job if my supervisor came around and saw that I let someone swim in a monofin/tail. It's strictly against our policies. Mainly the pools do not want to get sued for an accident. Lifeguards are not trained to save people in tails. So it can put the employed lifeguards at a risk as well. The easiest thing to do is to just ban tails in general so that pools don't have to carry that burden.

The best thing to do, as said before by others, is go to the manager or lifeguard and explain about your tail. Tell them how you're practicing in it and just need the water. You know how to swim in it and you will not disturb others purposely with it.

Candytails
03-05-2013, 01:01 AM
I can understand that but he saw me putting it on before and said nothing against it. I understand having rules but miscommunication and inconsistency would frustrate anyone

Blondie
03-05-2013, 06:11 PM
That's something we battle with at the pool all the time. Inconsistency is TERRIBLE. I think lifeguards have a hard time saying no because the really do want people to enjoy themselves at the pool. And they personally have nothing against it, it's the pool owner that does.

Mermaid Tula
03-12-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm excited! I just found out that my schools pool (College) allows monofins!

MerAnthony
03-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Cool deal. Lately I have been talking with the life guards at our local Y , an I have been telling them I have been working on my neoprene tail, byt repainting it an adding a few things to it. They say they want to see it when finished. An they have also told me that there is a few others that work there would like to see it as well.

Mermaid Tula
03-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Nice. ^__^

Mermaid Ixa
03-22-2014, 08:36 PM
I swim with my monofin for practice at 24 hour fitness I know they allow that. I have my monofin and my tail is coming soon so idk about the whole tail.

Hope that helped :)

Mermaid Jaffa
03-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Maybe if you just bring the monofin and show them that you can swim in it, they might change their minds.

Fun123joker
03-25-2014, 08:09 PM
wait what does YMCA stand fOr? whats a Y?

MerEmma
03-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Young Men's Christian Authority (there's also a YWCA, but they're kind of rare :/). It's a sports-gym chain in the US (not sure about other places?). They recently shortened it to just The Y as their name.

Mermaid Jaffa
03-25-2014, 08:52 PM
We have them here in Australia too. There is one in every alternate suburb or so. Its usually has pool facilities, tennis court, skateboard ramp, basket ball court, a small cafe. Basically, its an activities centre that kids can go to, and you only pay a small fee to use.

Fun123joker
03-25-2014, 09:39 PM
vhat. vhats this. why havent i heard of this? all i see are planet fitness. i dont know if they have pools. we have abunch of public pools not really chain pools. I got to the pool at the local rec center. They dont mind the pool is big enought for everyone

NerineArcticMermaid
03-26-2014, 07:58 PM
I have 2 locations to swim. GSU and Swim Atlanta. Both have no issue with my tail.

Talia
04-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Strangely, my pool has no problems at all with my tail but the only day I took my Finis Wave all was trouble: it is too stiff; it is too big; if someone complains you have to take it out; all said in quite a rude tone. What do they think there is inside the tail but a monofin? I guess out of sight, out of mind.

Thankfully, I know a lot more staff now, including a very nice and friendly life guard. I still have not ventured with the Finis again, but only because I love my tail so much I want to use it always :yay:

Ayla of Duluth
04-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Young Men's Christian Authority (there's also a YWCA, but they're kind of rare :/). It's a sports-gym chain in the US (not sure about other places?). They recently shortened it to just The Y as their name.
That's what it stands for? I was told it stands for Young Men's Club of America. We have both a YMCA and a YWCA here, I used to do cheerleading as a kid at the YWCA.

deepblue
04-29-2014, 04:50 PM
It's Young Men's Christian Association. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YMCA)

But they don't do any proselytizing, at least I haven't seen it here. They just offer some of the best gym/athletic setups out there, and at such a great cost. You'd never know the name had anything to do with religion unless you asked.

The Ys here in San Diego not only allow and provide fins, they allow monofins and apparently tails, too.

MerEmma
04-29-2014, 05:07 PM
San Diego Y's sound great. The ones here in central Florida are very unorganized, don't allow monofins or tails and only allow fins in the lap lanes. They also disallow anyone to make money on their property (performers for birthdays for example). No advertising of anything or anyone (yet they don't enforce this for pizza boxes or Publix cakes...).

Meshy
04-29-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm in San Diego, and I just today swam in my tail! Love the Cameron (in Santee) YMCA!

I have a couple of other mermaids that swim with me, and they do frown on taking pictures (As the kids are around now and there are perverts in the world) and they also seem to frown on passing out business cards, so we're sneaky about giving cards out (or we don't bring them and give folks our facebook pages to go to instead), and they'd never allow a party there. However, they all LOVE the tails, and the lifeguards are usually cool about pictures when people ask, then immediately put their phones away. I have several photos parents have taken of me with their kids, I always ask if it's ok to post on my FB page, and as long as the phone gets put away, the lifeguards have been pretty nice about it. I was able to bring my underwater camera, but since the kids are around now, they don't want us to use it. I'll take the "downsides" if it means I'm not getting harassed and kicked out of the pool!

Mermaid Romy
04-30-2014, 01:57 AM
I've been very lucky with my local pool. My friend and I started swimming and then I brought my monofin and okayed the use of that and then tripple checked with them about the tail. Asked a few lifeguards and the front desk. Explained the fabric and stuff and turned up today to swim and it was great. The staff were excited and there were school groups who were pointing and gasping. I even got a fan with a mother and daughter. The mum knew of Mermaid Nerissa through a local paper and she wanted to chat lots about tails and swimming C: it was really exciting! But education is the key and explaining things carefully and showing people how good you are at swimming first!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Pascal21M
05-28-2014, 02:55 PM
By me nobody allows me to swim in a indoor pols. Its crazy and sad:cry:

Tetra
09-23-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm currently a junior at Rutgers University New Brunswick and we have two gyms with Olympic pools, and one with a patio pool too and both allow mono fins and tails. The other swimmers we pretty amused as I flopped about and the lifeguards just silently judged.

Mer-Crazy
09-23-2014, 06:12 PM
I feel like people are a lot more lax in Australia. To be fair I've never been to a chain owned pool place, but usually I'll just rock up to wherever I wanna swim with my tail and ask at the front desk if it's okay if I swim in 'this' and hold up my tail. I've never had a problem, some have even seemed surprised I asked, or it might have been surprise at what I had asked about but I've never been refused entry to a pool because of my tail, which is nice.

Rivertee
09-23-2014, 11:16 PM
I can say luckily my apartment pool loves having a mermaid, the management even leaves it open after hours on Tues, Thurs, and Sat for private practice for me. Provided I allow others to swim with me during normal hours and not make a spectacle of myself lol

Miyu
09-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Oooh that's an awesome deal, Kaguria! Private practice after-hours must be like heaven :3

Mermaid Jaffa
09-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Nice! I'm hoping to swim in the big wave pool near my new home down in Sydney (without the wave machine going). They are a much bigger pool facility than what I'm used to swimming at here on the Central Coast. They also have another pool with lanes, a deep end for diving and water polo. Just basically swimming free without being stuck in a lane! I rang them months ago to ask if I could bring my tail and even posted a photo of it on their fb page, they said "Yes", so I'm pretty excited at finding a new splash home so quickly.

Oh and the Sydney Aquatic Centre, where they held the Olympics, also said yes to my tail. So am very happy to have two places to swim in!

Sherielle
09-24-2014, 09:40 AM
My community pool has no problem with either monofins or my tails. Even when my fabric tail accidentally got glitter in the pool (oops!). In fact, they invited me to wear my tail at the community party on Labor day. Of course now that fall is here, the pool will be closed and I don't have anywhere to swim until next spring. :(

Pascal21M
09-24-2014, 01:58 PM
In our city no indoor oools allow to swim with a tail

Pascal21M
09-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Its so sad. In Austria Mermaiding is not so much there.

Genevieve
09-26-2014, 08:00 PM
I can understand that but he saw me putting it on before and said nothing against it. I understand having rules but miscommunication and inconsistency would frustrate anyone

Inconsistency, even well-meaning, would bother me more than a straight-up ban. I know I'd constantly be paranoid about being called out and publicly shamed. :biting nails: For now, I can enjoy my apartment complex's outdoor pool to the fullest, but I know I need to start shopping around for some water for winter.

Merman Chatfish
10-16-2014, 10:55 PM
I've said this a dozen times before so ignore me if you've heard this speech already xD

As a lifeguard, you HAVE to enforce the rules. For me, I could lose my job if my supervisor came around and saw that I let someone swim in a monofin/tail. It's strictly against our policies. Mainly the pools do not want to get sued for an accident. Lifeguards are not trained to save people in tails. So it can put the employed lifeguards at a risk as well. The easiest thing to do is to just ban tails in general so that pools don't have to carry that burden.

The best thing to do, as said before by others, is go to the manager or lifeguard and explain about your tail. Tell them how you're practicing in it and just need the water. You know how to swim in it and you will not disturb others purposely with it.

I am a lifeguard manager, and personally I have no problem if someone wanted to come in and swim with a tail.

MermaidRuby
04-21-2015, 05:56 PM
The best thing to do is simply ask before you go swimming. You need to explain how the tail works, what its made of, how that you're a good swimmer with and you wont annoy anyone on purpose. The Shoreview YMCA allows me to swim in my tail as long as I don't splash anybody with my fluke and that Im careful when swimming with little kids. Im also a employee of the Shoreview YMCA, but that hasn't affected my mermaiding time there.

Echidna
04-22-2015, 03:12 AM
Asking sometimes is less than helpful.
It can come down to simply if the supervisor is a jerk or not :p

When I asked about fins at the only deeper pool we have here, I was told "no fins allowed" by the chief guard.
But reading the pool's rules later, I found fins ARE allowed in the fast lane, and if not too thronged.
(It was pretty empty when I asked)

The same pool has hours and lanes reserved for the diver club and even for mermaiding courses lately, but still will selectively hinder other people using fins, no matter if the pool is otherwise empty or not.
I'm pretty done with pools and stupid staff.
Looking into other alternatives now. I've been saving for my own pool for a while.

Merenneito Nerissa
04-23-2015, 02:34 AM
In normal public hours in our local swimming hall I was actually told not to DIVE as long as I did :D :D I was training to dive long distance and after I dived few times back and forth the pool one of the life-guards came to tell me that it was forbidden. I was like uhm, well, how long I'm allowed to dive? And he told me that only one time from one end to another. It was SO weird... :D
But after joining in diving club we have our own turns at that same hall and our club really loves having a mermaid as a member so they actually encourage me to swim with them, and usually they have few their own kids with them to come to check out the mermaid :) And now I can even practice my free-diving skills XD

Merman Chatfish
04-28-2015, 02:57 AM
In normal public hours in our local swimming hall I was actually told not to DIVE as long as I did :D :D I was training to dive long distance and after I dived few times back and forth the pool one of the life-guards came to tell me that it was forbidden. I was like uhm, well, how long I'm allowed to dive? And he told me that only one time from one end to another. It was SO weird... :D
But after joining in diving club we have our own turns at that same hall and our club really loves having a mermaid as a member so they actually encourage me to swim with them, and usually they have few their own kids with them to come to check out the mermaid :) And now I can even practice my free-diving skills XD

Its a worry about shallow water blackouts. The last update of ARC lifeguarding puts some emphasis on it being bad.

Silva
04-29-2015, 03:24 AM
Nice! I'm hoping to swim in the big wave pool near my new home down in Sydney (without the wave machine going). They are a much bigger pool facility than what I'm used to swimming at here on the Central Coast. They also have another pool with lanes, a deep end for diving and water polo. Just basically swimming free without being stuck in a lane! I rang them months ago to ask if I could bring my tail and even posted a photo of it on their fb page, they said "Yes", so I'm pretty excited at finding a new splash home so quickly.

Oh and the Sydney Aquatic Centre, where they held the Olympics, also said yes to my tail. So am very happy to have two places to swim in!
Ooh, ooh, I sometimes swim at the Sydney Olympic Park pool too with my Oceanika! Though most of the time I swim in a privately owned pool near my house, and the lifeguards have zero problems with it.

Mermaid Jaffa
05-04-2015, 04:54 AM
Ooh, ooh, I sometimes swim at the Sydney Olympic Park pool too with my Oceanika! Though most of the time I swim in a privately owned pool near my house, and the lifeguards have zero problems with it.

Ooo! You're not the other mermaid I've heard about at Ryde are you?

Silva
05-04-2015, 05:23 AM
No, I live in the east. I only really go there occasionally, like a day trip kind of, but the pool there is awesome! I would love to live closer!

Merperson Danny
05-04-2015, 07:30 AM
I swam with my monofin at a leisure centre in Claremorris, and they were fine with the monofin. We asked at the desk before we went in, and they said it was fine. ^w^ I was kind of freaking out, because the pool in my own town doesn't allow fins, nor does the indoor waterpark in Bundoran, and the one I swam with my first crappy tail in is only open in summer. I haven't used my tail there yet, though. I went yesterday, and brought the tail with me, but I was a little anxious about using it. I felt kind of embarrassed. I wanted to almost sneak by the lifeguard, but they were standing right outside the changing room lockers!
In summation, I wimped out and just used the monofin ._.

introverting
06-04-2015, 03:05 PM
This may be a little out of topic, but do any of you think snorkeling with a mermaid tail would be allowed, or are their certain requirements to be certified?

mermaidopal
06-04-2015, 10:56 PM
This may be a little out of topic, but do any of you think snorkeling with a mermaid tail would be allowed, or are their certain requirements to be certified?

Introverting,
Most snorkel places are not monitored (if you're thinking in the open ocean). Sometimes in big tourist spots they are, like some spots on Catalina Island or if you're with a guided group or a cruise ship. If you're going on your own, it should be fine almost all the time. If you're going with some kind of guide, I would get approval on it beforehand. (I did snorkeling with my college in La Jolla Cove, a pretty touristy area, and they were cool with my mono fin but I needed a wetsuit-- it was during the winter so too cold for tail!) If there's a lifeguard where you are, it may be best to talk to them first before you start swimming just so they know-- idk if they can refuse you swimming in the ocean in a tail since it's public, though. I've swam at the beach in my tail and as long as i stuck to areas designated for swimmers (i.e. not surfer areas) the lifeguards were just fine.
Also, ocean swimming can be pretty tiring, so if there won't be a lifeguard where you are, at the very least make sure you have at least one swim buddy, and take breaks!

Mermaid Jaffa
06-05-2015, 01:11 AM
When I rang the pool at Ryde, the receptionist said yes, but I also made her go ask the boss in charge of all the lifeguards. When she came back to say he said yes too, I was very happy!

I've seen the boss, Andrew, sometimes at the pool. He looks happy to have me there, and as far as I know, there is no complaints from other people about my swimming. I do stay in a lane if its crowded but when its not, I treat the whole deep end like my private cove!

Merman Chatfish
06-11-2015, 12:55 AM
AHHH!!! Was listening to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me from last Saturday, and the first limerick is about this topic: http://www.npr.org/2015/06/06/412448284/limericks

telzey.amberdon
08-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Two friends of mine swim at Health Club of Concord NH. Course one happens to be a lifeguard (not employed there). Will swim there after work slows down.

telzey.amberdon
08-08-2015, 09:18 AM
AHHH!!! Was listening to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me from last Saturday, and the first limerick is about this topic: http://www.npr.org/2015/06/06/412448284/limericks

Did you hear that Canadian pools were not allowing tails because scales were clogging the pool filters? Only on NPR.

MerMaisy
08-08-2015, 11:10 AM
Wouldn't this only be an issue for sequin tails?

Ciriun
08-11-2015, 04:13 PM
I just ran into a weird case of tail and fin banning while visiting family north of Chicago. The manager told me they had tried allowing them two years ago, and the pool got overrun with people in mermaid tails, which somehow lead to them deciding they were too much of a risk and banning them. Granted this pool also doesn't allow any other swim toys or gear, including water wings of all things.

Calizaire
08-11-2015, 04:27 PM
...and the pool got overrun with people in mermaid tails..
Like a mermaid feeding frenzy! This is was went through my head reading that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo-vnwDMDfY

Celaeno
08-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm picturing dozens of mermaids, like a koi pond...

PearlieMae
08-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Did you hear that Canadian pools were not allowing tails because scales were clogging the pool filters? Only on NPR.

Hahaha! I remember hearing this...the pool filter clogging was to make the limerick rhyme!

Ciriun
08-12-2015, 08:23 PM
:lol: Yes, they obviously had to ban mermaids because they kept biting the other swimmers.

telzey.amberdon
08-12-2015, 11:12 PM
I was nibbling on Coradion, who wouldn't?

Ciriun
08-13-2015, 09:26 PM
Why is it that every time I mention a pool not allowing my fin, the conversation turns to talk of sexy mermen? :eyebrows:

Mermaid Jaffa
08-13-2015, 11:46 PM
Why is it that every time I mention a pool not allowing my fin, the conversation turns to talk of sexy mermen? :eyebrows:

We can't help it. Them butts are so smexy!!

The Harlem Mermaid
11-14-2015, 01:43 AM
There was a bit on places banning mermaiding in this thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2510-Places-Banning-Mermaiding&p=30789&viewfull=1#post30789). Basically my input is to go to the manager or the lifegaurds and educate them as to why your tail is a swim AID and piece of water equipment, not a swim hindrance or danger. Explain to them the materials it's made of and why it's suited for water wear. Offer to do a swim test for them in tail to show them you are capable. Some have suggested legal liability waivers as well. For those who go pro performer's insurance is a big weight off everyone involved, including when you're at a pool for practice (not an actual gig). This may not always work, but it can't hurt to give it a try! Education is the first step, right? :) Your so right mesister , i too agree, you need to tell them and show them what your all about, how safe it is, i swim at both my local pools here in NYC , but at first they said no, cause it the fin was to big, my Mahina fin, but i proceeded to show them my other fins and fabric tails and showed them photos and videos of us mermaids swimming together without bumping into each other or anyone getting hurt by it, now im going to keep trying for the others pools in our boroughs, there 2 pools in Queens,NY my other mersister who happens to be a lifeguard as well swim in her tail there and also at

Coradion
11-14-2015, 03:36 PM
I just ran into a weird case of tail and fin banning while visiting family north of Chicago. The manager told me they had tried allowing them two years ago, and the pool got overrun with people in mermaid tails, which somehow lead to them deciding they were too much of a risk and banning them. Granted this pool also doesn't allow any other swim toys or gear, including water wings of all things.

Side note, water wings are actually a death trap for really little kids. A lot of pools ban them, if smaller kids don't have enough arm strength water wings can actually lift their arms above their heads and prevent them from treading water.

suzanne86
11-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Maybe they are worried about what the monofin is made of. A monofin like the Finis Foil made of rubber will not hurt anyone, and has no sharp edges. But a monofin made of hard plastic compound or fiberglass (e.g., Finis Shooter, Trainer, Competitor) can hurt someone else. The Shooter and Trainer have hard fiberglass blades; and the Competitor has sharp corners and edges that can act like a knife blade. A rubber monofin is like rubber bifins, except for no gap between the feet. As long as you are doing surface swimming and there are no more than two people sharing a lane, there should be no problem. My YMCA pool allows all such fins. But tail swimming is another story--maybe for reasons mentioned by others above. Don't be discouraged. Maybe a dispassionate dry-land conversation with the powers that be can help you resolve the situation.

Alinda the Reef Fish
11-19-2015, 12:12 AM
Let me just step right in and say how much I agree and how much I hate pools that ban you from using monofins.

I live in the Midwest, and there aren't a lot of public pools in this city, especially not pools that are open year round. Getting permission to swim with a tail or monofin is like yanking teeth. "The pool is too busy today, come on a slow day", the employee says. Buddy, this is Nebraska, and it's 102 outside all summer, there isn't a single slow day for the pools around here during the summer unless its pouring ocean buckets outside.

There is one pool that is semi-close to me that has never complained about me using a monofin. In fact, my friends and I have at least one pool party there every summer, and they always let me wear it. I called ahead the first time we went to that pool, and one of the employees put me on the phone with a manager, who told me that it shouldn't be an issue and that it's easier to allow if the material is rubber and not a sharp plastic. Mine is a thick rubber, thankfully. That same manager who used to let me swim there all the time is actually someone I work with now, so occasionally we chit-chat about pool rules and similar topics.

But my question is how am I supposed to become a professional when almost none of the pools around here allow mermaid tails or monofins? How can I go swimming on a regular basis when I can't afford to get my own pool at my own house? AM I SUPPOSED TO SWIM IN THE CORNFIELDS, COME ON NOW!

Merman Chatfish
11-21-2015, 04:38 PM
My YMCA in Iowa not only has no problems with me swimming in my tail, my manager suggested I wear it for the last day of swim lessons.

Saren
12-14-2015, 08:38 AM
I have an issue with my pool not caring what i do with my monofin as long as I swim in the lap lanes. But they're totally apprehensive about my open ended fabric tail. But if i can prove to them that I can take the tail off quickly in case of emergencies, then I'm sure I'll be in the clear. It's strange though, I would just rent the pool out for a private swim, but they don't offer that (but other pools at military bases do offer so it changes I guess). We shall see

Mermaidrey
03-14-2017, 08:55 PM
My YMCA is a total wet blanket when it comes to mermaiding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeliPixie
03-15-2017, 01:13 AM
Any mers in Las Vegas/Henderson area know of any public pools that allow monofins or tails?

I never thought to ask before swimming. I wonder if my apartment property manager will allow it. If not I guess I'll just wait to make it until I move home to New York.

Sent from my Shellphone using Tapatalk for Android

Dogfish
03-25-2017, 06:59 AM
My local pool has told me mixed things - one said no as I wouldn't be able to get out of the pool fast enough if there was a fire (?!) but the other said she was excited about the idea. I offered to rent a lane for myself or to demonstrate it to them but got no further replies on the subject. It's a bit worrying as, while I'm still learning about mermaiding, it makes me wonder if it's worth my getting a fabric tail at all. Not many places besides public pools to swim in the UK!

Not sure how else to proceed yet :/

Dogfish
01-04-2018, 04:57 AM
Ah! So follow up on my old post (ha) I have been able to find a pool that let me wear my mono fin. I emailed ahead of time but got no reply, so just went in with it. I didnt use the skin (its a finfun) but didn't hide the monofin from view, just didn't mention it. Said hi to the life guards, got in, did a couple of normal laps then put the fin on - no one said a word.
I did swim in the adult-only evening portion of the pool times so perhaps that helps? I can see why they wouldnt want things like that when it's busy or around kids, in case it encourages them to bring in things that are similar which perhaps are not as safe.

MermaidAuquita1998
03-24-2018, 04:55 PM
My YMCA approved that I could swim in my fluke and my mermaid tail check there

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~

Sent from my Shell Phone

Mermaid Delphinidae
03-27-2018, 10:59 PM
I've taken to emailing places about it. Only one out of two answered my question so far, but they said yes, so that's cool. I just wish I lived closer to that place so I could go there more frequently! Not only is it tail-friendly, but they have deeper areas so I can practice diving and tricks. But it's a forty minute drive, and I already do so much driving during the week for work.

My neighborhood pool took no issue with my monofin or my test tail.

My gym pool allows it, but they use way too much chlorine so I don't like to go very often. I imagine that most gym pools would allow it, since they're usually lap pools and you wouldn't be getting in other people's way. Plus there wouldn't be concern about the safety of children, since kids aren't usually allowed.

MermaidAuquita1998
03-29-2018, 08:41 PM
Ask your local YMCA ask about your mono fin first than if they say yes ask about your tail

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~

Sent from my Shell Phone

MidsummerMermaid
08-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Yeah hunting down a year long open pool that allows monofins sucks. Living in Florida, you'd think our pools were open longer than just may through August and the single indoor year long pool around doesn't allow monofins.

Mermaid Delphinidae
08-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Yeah hunting down a year long open pool that allows monofins sucks. Living in Florida, you'd think our pools were open longer than just may through August and the single indoor year long pool around doesn't allow monofins.

Ha ha, right? I live in Texas and we don't actually got cold weather until October, you'd think places like pools and waterparks would be open longer.

MidsummerMermaid
08-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Ha ha, right? I live in Texas and we don't actually got cold weather until October, you'd think places like pools and waterparks would be open longer.Our cold is 60°F, and I've swum in colder when I was in Denmark, so I don't really know why pools are so weird. But if your pool doesn't allow monofins, try diving flippers so you can at least get the workout and techniques

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

Mermaid.Mikayla
11-22-2018, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I got kicked off out the pool that I had been mermaiding in for five years. And none of the pools around me allow it. So the only time I can swim is at my aunt's which I only get to go over there once a year. I usually just practice without my tail and keep my legs together. Good luck on finding a new pool!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

MidsummerMermaid
11-22-2018, 12:47 PM
How'd you get kicked out if you've been there for years?

Mermaid.Mikayla
11-22-2018, 01:54 PM
How'd you get kicked out if you've been there for years?It was a new life guard I've been told. So I'm supposed to go back up there and ask the manager if I can continue to swim at their pool with my tail. Which I don't see how there would be a problem, but if there is, I'll continue to swim with out my tail.

Mermaid Holly
11-22-2018, 02:50 PM
Basically none of the pools near me allow tails or monofins, because California has crazy laws. Fortunately, my gym let's me swim, although the pool pretty gross and is often filled with old people... so it's not the greatest option, but it's better than nothing.

SIF
11-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Yeah hunting down a year long open pool that allows monofins sucks. Living in Florida, you'd think our pools were open longer than just may through August and the single indoor year long pool around doesn't allow monofins.I'm in Oregon and even our non-year round pools are open longer than May through August...

MidsummerMermaid
11-27-2018, 11:06 AM
I took that advice of just showing up with the monofin and surprisingly I haven't been evicted yet, so I'm happy

Mermaid.Mikayla
11-27-2018, 03:22 PM
I took that advice of just showing up with the monofin and surprisingly I haven't been evicted yet, so I'm happyThat's awesome!

MidsummerMermaid
02-10-2019, 10:51 PM
Been a while so I'm just updating: so far, no one seems to care about me and my monofin. I only wear the fin and my neoprene leggings, not the tail, and I'm hoping once I become a regular I'll be able to wear the skin over it. But just showing up with the monofin, don't ask if it's allowed, just do it. If they say something, fine, but odds are they won't if you act like you belong there.

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

SirenGita
02-11-2019, 01:57 AM
Lol this is exactly what my fiance said to do when mine come this week (assuming this snowpocalypse ever ends)!

MidsummerMermaid
02-12-2019, 01:00 AM
Seriously, walk in like you own the joint and no one will question you. I called and they said no, but I've swum there a few weeks now and not a peep

Mermaid Cerulean
02-12-2019, 08:12 AM
I’ve been thinking about doing just that in a pool near me. Someone told me monofins and tails weren’t aloud, but I’m going to try it anyways. If they kick me out, that’s that. Just gotta work up the courage now, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

MidsummerMermaid
02-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Yeah you don't want to look guilty. Maybe go with a friend?

Mermaid Christine
03-26-2019, 03:37 PM
I did that too! I recently bought a mermaid linden monofin and have been scouring SoCal to swim laps and I recently tried my community pools (Alga Norte and Monroe St. in Carlsbad, CA). I never ask and I just bring it inside (lowering it from the view of the front desk helps lol) and put it on even in front of the lifeguards. I swim a few laps and wear the monofin like nobody's business >u<

the.tattooed.mermaid78
03-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Wish I could do that in the pool near us. They are totally banned

suzanne86
03-31-2019, 07:36 PM
I swim 4 workouts a week at my YMCA pool: 3 of them using bi-fins, and 1 of them using a Finis Foil. It is always fins /monofin only, no leggings or tail. The lifeguards are so used to seeing me workout, that it doesn't matter to them whether I am using bi-fins or a monofin. I think any concerns that might be voiced have to do with 1) whether a swimmer can ditch the tail in case of cramps or other physical problem, and swim to safety without it; and 2) fiberglass monofins scratching or injuring another swimmer if lanes need to be shared. Also, some monofins like the Mahina and Finis Competitor are so big that lane sharing might be out of the question. The Finis Foil is rubber, does not scratch or injure, and travels well. No one at the pool has voice any objection when I swim with it.

the.tattooed.mermaid78
04-01-2019, 06:09 AM
I've got the finis Luna being delivered today. I'm so excited to get it lol

Mermaid Christine
12-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Follow up from my last post with my Mermaid Linden monofin, I was actually told not to swim with it in Alga Norte and another pool:p I then proceeded with my regular workout without fins, which was less fun of course lol
I recently bought a Finis Shooter for a better workout and I've found that public pools turn a blind eye away from it. I think when people see anything closely resembling a mermaid shape, they immediately say no. Now I just use my Finish Shooter everywhere I go since it looks a lot more athletically professional looking. The propulsion is much better anyway, but I miss using my Linden in deeper waters.

Mermaid Delphinidae
01-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Follow up from my last post with my Mermaid Linden monofin, I was actually told not to swim with it in Alga Norte and another pool:p I then proceeded with my regular workout without fins, which was less fun of course lol
I recently bought a Finis Shooter for a better workout and I've found that public pools turn a blind eye away from it. I think when people see anything closely resembling a mermaid shape, they immediately say no. Now I just use my Finish Shooter everywhere I go since it looks a lot more athletically professional looking. The propulsion is much better anyway, but I miss using my Linden in deeper waters.

I figure the same thing, which is why I bring my Finis Foil instead of a full tail or my FinFun monofin. Haven't had an issue so far. (admittedly I haven't gone out in a while, haven't been able to swim due to a hand injury)

Aquariuz
01-11-2020, 11:46 PM
I hate this when it happens. As far as i know, there isnt any evidence showing a higher drowning risk associated with monofins, so all these fears are unfounded. Nevertheless, it happens so frequently, i had to join a rather pricey country club to be able to swim freely, but the difference is that its privately owned, so i can do whatever i want. Yes, itll ruin your day, being told not to mermaid. Ticks me off!

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork

brynnwiens
01-17-2020, 09:44 PM
Solution
Have any of you guys thought about using hotel pools? most don't even have lifeguards so I think it's very unlikely they would be able to Kik you out.

Sent from my SM-G960W using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

Merman Storm
01-17-2020, 10:17 PM
Sure, and we do swim in them. But usually they want you to to stay at the hotel. It gets expensive. Its only viable if you have some other reason to be at the hotel.

Toastyghosty39
01-21-2020, 02:39 AM
Anybody know of place to swim in Illinois? I'm in orland park and there arent a huge amount of pools. The public pool was a definite no, and one private sports place was very on the fence. Like when they're were kids around they let me but odd enough if there was even one older person it was a definite no. Weird.

Mermaid Alea
01-21-2020, 09:00 AM
There is a dive shop near me that has an indoor pool for scuba certifications and supposedly there is a local mermaid group that is allowed to use the dive shop's indoor pool for mermaiding.

So if you happen to have a dive shop near you, you could either ask if you can swim in their pool (if they have one) or ask if they know of a pool that might allow you.

fabianfrz
01-22-2020, 12:54 PM
If you are a bigger pod, have you tried to pay for an own area (lane, half pool etc.) like the other clubs? Then there are usually different rules.

Mermaid Rivera
02-14-2020, 11:13 AM
Since getting my Fantasea 3 I've been dying to find somewhere to try it out. But that proves to be a hassle when you have to find not only an INDOOR pool but one that ALSO allows mermaids! Not to mention a free one!

I contacted a nearby indoor pool and the lady on the phone said they don't allow fins or outside pool devices but I could bring it in and show the lifeguards to see if I can get it in. The problem with that is that there's a fee per person, I only get to be there for a couple hours and the Fantasea 3 is HEAVY! Doesn't seem very worth it to bring the fin and have them say no, because that's the whole point of me wanting to swim! :(

There are some pools my pod has told me about that are one to two hours from where I am, though that's not very convenient all the time. (Though we will likely do meets there)

I also remember visiting a somewhat local waterpark and my mom actually asked the lifeguards and receptionists as we were leaving if mermaid tails were allowed (because I asked her just as a hypothetical/rhetorical question regarding my very first tail) and they said yes?! Out of all places I would have expected to allow tails, a family waterpark was not one of them! I'm thinking of asking them again and maybe doing a family trip there! :D

the.tattooed.mermaid78
02-15-2020, 04:04 AM
I have to pay £12 for a private lane and pay for public liability insurance to be able.to mermaid swim. I had to write a letter to my local council but said I would pay these so it was allowed straight away

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=95032)

seaair16
10-01-2020, 04:20 PM
That’s why I give up mermaid tails no pool will allow you in where I live . Canada and America pools are a lot more accepting than Ireland and uk you’re pretty much laugh at if you ask. people give you dirty looks mermaiding is definitely not accepted . People think it’s stupid and that you have mantel Heath issues if you wear a mermaid tail. There is definitely no pros mermaid in Ireland become people are shot down and become laughing stock if you attempt to do it .

Echidna
10-02-2020, 07:29 AM
I know the water is /&%!cold in Ireland, but maybe you can try wild swimming?
it's so much nicer than being in an overthronged, smelly pool anyway.

I'm going to try and swim this year until the water freezes over.
Be careful though if you're not used to cold water. Definitely bring someone to watch/help, and a dry robe to change.

fabianfrz
10-02-2020, 08:11 AM
You may want to wear a diving suit under your tail.

scilover
10-11-2020, 11:36 PM
i always wonder the why they banned tail in pool. is it because of spaces???

Merman Storm
10-12-2020, 08:38 AM
I have heard several reasons.
1) They do not want to have to judge which "pool toy" is acceptable and which is not, so they ban them all.
2) They think it is unsave to use, at least for some swimmers, and do not want to have to deal with the extra danger.
3) They are afraid of the fin hitting someone.
4) They want to minimize cloth in the pool, as it sheds fibers and string, which clog the filter.

All safety related issues also have the issue of lawsuits. One frivolous lawsuit can shut down the facility for months, if not years.

Mermaid Jaffa
12-02-2020, 07:34 PM
I've heard the "people have drowned" excuse from a reputable pool.

Echidna
12-03-2020, 02:48 PM
yes, people drown in pools all the time.

WITHOUT a mermaid tail :p

biggest risk at any pool is still having someone jump on you, but no pool I've ever been to had a guard really watching, or even just reprimanding someone who jumped in from the side without looking whether someone was already swimming there.

At least that doesn't concern me anymore, because I won't ever go back to swimming in public restrooms, er I mean pools.
They are all closed anyway (complete lockdown here until at least early next year).

Mermaid Jaffa
12-03-2020, 05:15 PM
I've nearly had kids jump on me. They knew I was swimming there and yet they jumped! They were inches from me and gave me a fright. My heart was beating so fast!

Echidna
12-03-2020, 07:00 PM
yeah, happened to me as well.
2 or 3 times, someone landed so close to me, if they had jumped just half a second earlier or if I'd been a tiny bit slower, they would have most likely broken my back or neck.
Not just kids, adults can be just as oblivious and careless, and if you tell them "btw I was there, you nearly hit me full on", they most likely talk back to you and tell you it's your fault for being there^^
(but germans do that all the time anyway, no matter the circumstances)

and if you're in open water instead, you always have to watch out for boats/surfers.
number one cause for diver deaths: run-in with boats.
I know no apneist who hasn't had a close call at least once :/

Dark.Ennui
06-23-2021, 06:53 PM
So I'm a very timid person and I'm not even comfortable swimming with lots of people around. But I took the plunge and took my new fin fun to the pool and was on the phone with my friend with my blue tooth headset. I brought all my gear so it looked like I knew what the heck I was doing. Goggles, many different nose plugs to test, and all. I'm very surprised that a few people on the board of our Home Owners Association were there and no one kicked me out. lol I was very respectful stayed on one side, didn't get in anyone's way and "practiced" getting used to the monofin. No tail cover, no leggings. Just the fin. I hope that this continues hehe.