PDA

View Full Version : Swim Gloves?

Mermaid Tula
03-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Has anyone used these? I bought a pair on ebay today to test them out. If you do have a pair, how well do they work?

FreshWaterMermaid
03-09-2013, 07:05 PM
I just got a pair, myself! I'm excited to try them out soon!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

MerAnthony
03-09-2013, 07:09 PM
I bought a pair during the summerof last year.(same color) An they work great, plus they help out in the water alot.

Mermaid Tula
03-09-2013, 07:22 PM
@FreshWaterMermaid, I saw your post about them on FB, and commented about my hands being so petite lol. I decided to get myself a pair since I've been looking at them for around 6 months or so now.

FreshWaterMermaid
03-09-2013, 11:00 PM
@FreshWaterMermaid, I saw your post about them on FB, and commented about my hands being so petite lol. I decided to get myself a pair since I've been looking at them for around 6 months or so now.

Oh that's you ^_^
Yeah I figure they're not that expensive might as well get a pair and try them out :)
They do seem to run small so a size small would probably work for ya.

Mermaid Tula
03-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Well that's good that they run small. my pinkies are abnormally short, so I have issues with normal gloves. I can normally fold the tip of the pinkys down lol

Mermaid Kelda
03-10-2013, 12:20 AM
I wonder if there would be a way to modify these (or add to them) so that they looked like webbed fingers. Maybe paint them with a green tinge that blends into the hand? It'd be a cool experiment for photoshoots!

MerAnthony
03-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Bombardier I think that would be a great idea if you can find paint that would stick to silicone.

Mermaid Tula
03-10-2013, 11:08 AM
That would be awesome. I wonder if maybe if there was some way to scrape the surface and rub some permanent pigment onto it.

FreshWaterMermaid
03-11-2013, 02:44 AM
I dunno. Silicone isn't easy to paint (as far as I know) I would think making them yourself with pigmented silicone would be easy enough... *shrugs*
I kinda like the subtle color these ones have.

Mermaid Tula
03-11-2013, 10:08 AM
True, and if I made them to my own hands, I wouldn't have to worry about the size issues. Maybe if I can get a package of dragonskin later this week, I'll try it out

MermaidNerenia
03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
I have them but be careful, the thumb portion snapped off of mine almost instantly. They work, but I would rather have the hand dexterity.

AptaMer
03-11-2013, 10:54 AM
That would be awesome. I wonder if maybe if there was some way to scrape the surface and rub some permanent pigment onto it.

I've never been able to find a paint or ink that will stick to silicone rubber. I know they must exist because companies like Speedo print stuff on their silicone swim caps, and it adheres really well. Maybe somebody knows where such an ink could be obtained?

I think it would be easiest for the home person to get some liquid silicone, either clear silicone in the tube, or dragonskin, pigment it, then stick it on to the surface of the silicone rubber.

AptaMer
03-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Maybe you could save yourself a lot of trouble by getting these?

http://www.darkfingloves.com/featured/tan-skinfin.html

9996 If you have really small hands, these might work too because they make children's sizes down to quite small.

http://www.darkfingloves.com/shop/sizing-charts/

Also, since they're latex, it might be easy to paint them and/or decorate them.

Mermaid Tula
03-11-2013, 08:57 PM
those are really neat.

The problem with getting kids sizes for my hands it they're usually too tight around my hand in general.

From the base of my thumb to the base of my pinky I'm 3 1/2 inches across, from wrist to the base of my middle finger i'm 3 2/3 inches.

Thumb 2 1/4 inch
first finger 3 inches
middle finger 3 1/4 inches
ring finger 2 2/3 inches
pinky 1 2/3 inches

pinky to wrist is 4 1/2 inches.

I have tiny tiny hand and my pinkies are abnormally short

Mermaid Kelda
03-11-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't like the look of the skin-coloured gloves much. I'd prefer to see my own skin. If someone sold realistic fingerfins, I'd be their first customer!

Mermaid Tula
03-11-2013, 09:13 PM
maybe if I get some dragonskin, I'll play around with making some hand fins. ^__^

Mermaid Kelda
03-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Definitely do so! I'm a huge fan of anything that adds to the "realistic" mer look :)

Mermaid Tula
03-11-2013, 09:28 PM
^_^ I need to take a mold of my ears, I need finned ears as well <3

Mermaid Kelda
03-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Ooh, I didn't even think of finned ears. Great idea!

Traveling Merman
03-11-2013, 09:41 PM
I know these guys do really good work as I've used some of their stuff it is realistic so much that you get trie glanced! Lol

If you email them they'd do a complete custom job for you new mould and all! If thats too much £££ they can re colour and paint their existing moulds any colour your heart desires!

Here's there website; http://www.compositeeffects.com/index.php

And here's some of their fishier work;1000710008100091001010011

Mermaid Tula
03-11-2013, 09:46 PM
hehe. The only thing I worry is about how well they'll stay on during a swim. they'd work fantastic for dry mermaiding, but that's only half the fun

Omg those are awesome TM! Love love love the octo hands!

Mermaid Tula
03-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Got my gloves today!

Traveling Merman
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
@comatose angel, I think they're all silicone so they should hold up underwater aswel! And I know they're base colour is throughout as I've had to wear one of their demon masks for work (scare attraction) and some nob on my day off had been playing with the mask and had cut it with a Stanley knife to see what it was like Inside and it was the same inside and out, it's only the detailing which is a tinted silicone that doesn't run throuout.

Mermaid Tula
03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Cool ^__^ Oh that's just terrible! Was the mask his? I would have made him pay for it!

Traveling Merman
03-19-2013, 03:16 PM
No it belonged to the company we worked for, they tok about £80 out of his pay

Mermaid Tula
03-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Haha good! I worked in a haunted house and if one of the props was ruined by us, we had to pay for it.

Mermaid_Aurora
03-20-2013, 11:07 PM
I don't really like how fake they look. If I was going to use them in mermaid attire, I'd want to somehow modify them so they looked like webbed fingers, probably with scales on them also to match the tail. I kinda want everything I wear to look believable, if you know what I mean xD

I think it would look awesome if something like that was made. Course, would probably have to glue it to your hand so it doesn't slip off while swimming, if they're not tight enough. I'm not a very strong swimmer yet, so webbed hands would probably help at least a little! If not they would still add a bit of realism to the look.

Mertara
03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
I have made webbed gloves with great success, but it would be some work to get them to look anywhere near realistic. Iv'e seen this tutorial on youtube before, but never tried it, and I don't know how long it would hold up to swimming, but you never know! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7p2C6YESQlI

Mermaid Tula
03-21-2013, 08:21 PM
That's pretty awesome Tarapotamus! I'll have to play around with that since I have some latex. What kind of card did you use?

Mertara
03-22-2013, 03:26 PM
That's pretty awesome Tarapotamus! I'll have to play around with that since I have some latex. What kind of card did you use?

I have not personally done the latex webs, but if I did, I would just use some plain cardstock, or even a thick paper like printer paper is probably fine.

Goldie
06-02-2013, 06:29 AM
I don't really like how fake they look. If I was going to use them in mermaid attire, I'd want to somehow modify them so they looked like webbed fingers, probably with scales on them also to match the tail. I kinda want everything I wear to look believable, if you know what I mean xD

I think it would look awesome if something like that was made. Course, would probably have to glue it to your hand so it doesn't slip off while swimming, if they're not tight enough. I'm not a very strong swimmer yet, so webbed hands would probably help at least a little! If not they would still add a bit of realism to the look.

Me too. I got some of those and i was thinking about gluing some of the fabric that I used for my tail to them. But the only glue I have is that E6000 stuff and I don't know if it would work :/

Mermaid Tula
06-02-2013, 01:33 PM
So I wound up getting a new pair since the blue ones are WAY too tight. I have ones that are a light almost lime green. They fit so much better, and they're pretty fun in the water. I do wish they were a bit darker green, since my tail is going to be an almost olive green. I like the idea of maybe adding some fabric to it, but I'm not sure how well that would hold up for one, and look for two.

The new ones look better too. Because they are larger, I don't get the little gaps like with the blue ones. (the picture above you can see a lot of gaps) Plus they go up my fingers more, so I have less 'finger' and more 'web'.

TheChimera
11-13-2013, 05:16 AM
The vid is awesome, im going to try that for myself sometime, unsure about where to het the liquid latex though, any advice?

Ilyena
11-13-2013, 06:01 AM
I recently got a pair of these (blue colour), they're quite fun to swim with and they don't cost a fin and a limb to buy. Though I am intrigued about latex ones which look more marine like.

Thalassa
11-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Chimera, they usually have liquid latex at costume supply stores with the special effects makeup. Ben Nye makes some, I know.

You may also be able to find it in a home improvement store, but I haven't checked that possibility out.

TheChimera
11-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Thanks for that, will check it out for sure :3 hope i have a store that sells it in my part of the world

angelstarfish
11-16-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm planning on making some from silicone this summer. Should be interesting, my very first time working with silicone!!!

“You were born wild. Never let them tame you." -Martha Graham

Friend me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/angel.starfish.56?fref=ts
Follow me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermaid-Angel-Starfish/230199420458609?ref=hl
Watch me on YouTube!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmsZ4f6nEFN3FTTdGW78e0Q
Follow me on Tumblr!!!
http://mermaid-angel-starfish.tumblr.com/
Check out my site!!!
http://mermaidangelstarfish.wix.com/angel-starfish
Follow me on Twitter!!!
@sssmermaid

“Children of the sea,
Lie down your heads to sleep
As the maidens of the sea
Carry you down to the deep…”

~Mermaid Lullaby

Ashton
11-29-2013, 10:04 PM
I think I've also seen neoprene ones that fit like a complete glove. I have always wondered about them and how they work. they look really cool.

MermaidAmestris
02-25-2014, 03:00 PM
I wonder if there's a way to make some like that video showed, but make them out of silicone or something so it's not paper, and if there's a way to make it stay on in the water? I loooove the idea of webbed fingers, and I bet they help a lot in the water, but I don't like the look of the blue ones. To me they look very obviously fake, especially since they aren't skin colored, they're pink and green and blue. If someone made some that fit better and looked more realistic, I'd be very interested.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-26-2014, 05:53 AM
How bout this then?

http://www.costumeshut.com/hut_product_info/22265/webbed-sea-creature-gloves.html

JaceAquarius
02-28-2014, 12:20 PM
I know the tan ones have been shown, but I own a pair of the black ones. They are great! Quite the arm workout but it feels better to have fully webbed fingers!

http://www.amazon.com/Darkfin-Webbed-Power-Gloves-M/dp/B00AHHKY2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393607838&sr=8-1&keywords=darkfin+gloves

Mermaid Adriel
02-28-2014, 01:13 PM
I know the tan ones have been shown, but I own a pair of the black ones. They are great! Quite the arm workout but it feels better to have fully webbed fingers!

http://www.amazon.com/Darkfin-Webbed-Power-Gloves-M/dp/B00AHHKY2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393607838&sr=8-1&keywords=darkfin+gloves

Cheap and useful. Why not? :)

Mertara
04-11-2014, 10:09 AM
what was the verdict on these? And did anyone mod them like we talked about?

AniaR
04-11-2014, 10:18 AM
They won't ship to me I want em

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mertara
04-11-2014, 10:37 AM
there are some on ebay, where are you located?

MerAnthony
04-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Raina if you want a pair I could get them an mail them to you if you want. An when I get them all I would have to do is change the shipping address to yours.

Arejay
07-07-2014, 05:51 PM
I wonder if there would be a way to modify these (or add to them) so that they looked like webbed fingers. Maybe paint them with a green tinge that blends into the hand? It'd be a cool experiment for photoshoots!

I found a how to color silicone that might help if you wish to try...http://www.ehow.com/how_8629002_dye-silicone.html

MerMatt
10-14-2014, 11:00 PM
I know this is a pretty old thread but I found these tonight for anyone interested:

http://shop.swimco.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/177034/s/aqua-fitness-glove/category/1284/

Aside from the logo they look pretty webbed for swimming.

AniaR
10-14-2014, 11:38 PM
I got them and dont like them LOL I dont find they add anything to the experience. look neat, but mostly got in my way

Echidna
10-15-2014, 06:15 AM
Didn't read all the answers, but:
swim gloves don't enhance the mermaid experience, because in tailswimming or dolphin kick, you don't use your hands (except maybe a bit when turning or holding a position, and you really don't need webbed gloves for that).

They can be fun if you do another aquatic workout, but that's about it.

Mermaid Jaffa
10-17-2014, 02:00 AM
I found I can turn better if I make my hands like I'm cupping something.