PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Fancy News

Morticia Mermaid
03-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Just wanted to share a bit of awesome news. I've been speaking with the faire director for Seadog Nights and Gypsy Carnival. And they are going to let me set up not only a booth for selling items, but also a lagoon (pool) for me and another mermaid or 2 to play in! This is the first year (that I know of) they will have had a lagoon, or even mermaids for the matter. I've already had a lot of people show interest in the booth and lagoon, as well as having people contact me to see if I would be allowing people to try tails and buying them too.

So, if anyone happens to be in the Lebanon, OR area around July 18-22 come down to the faire and see me :) Can't even begin to tell you guys just how excited I am right now.

Kanti
03-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Super cool!
I wish my ren fair had mermaids -__- or a place for them. We just have a lake xD
I wish I could go but that is very far o.O
Take lots of pictures!

Mermaid Kelda
03-14-2013, 07:44 AM
The fairs around my area are like super accurate historical fairs :\ so no mermaids in our lakes, or fairies or elves or whatnot.

Morticia Mermaid
03-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Seadog Nights is actually a pirate faire ^_^ I'm actually going to be bringing my own pool. They said they will put me as close to a hose spigot as they can, and when it's time to take everything down everyone if going to pitch in to take care of the water. Instead of letting it go to waste, there's a bunch of spots around the park that usually need to be watered around that time so the plan is to carry the water in buckets to those spots.

Mermaid Saphira
03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Wonderful news, Morticia!
Take lots of pictures :3

Morticia Mermaid
03-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Wonderful news, Morticia!
Take lots of pictures :3

:) I plan to. My photographer will be onsite from set up, to take down. Hoping to have tails made for a couple local people to wear too. Orders are even starting to pick up. Have a couple people waiting anxiously for a slot to open up because all slots are filled right now :p

Edit- Setup being Thursday, take down being Monday. It's a 3 day event that starts at 7 every morning and ends around 11 every night

Morticia Mermaid
03-14-2013, 10:59 AM
http://www.seadognights.com/ (http://www.seadognights.com/home/index.php)

There's the site if anyone wants to check it out. They have pictures up from last year too. Everything from taverns to mercenary and pirate camps, to ship masts

Mermaid Tula
03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
I wish I lived closer! that would be so much fun! I'm in Idaho, but on the south east side.

Morticia Mermaid
03-15-2013, 09:55 AM
I've been talking with the faire Director and the "Merchantocrat" about the faire this year. They both agree that it will be a good addition to the faire and are more than willing to work with me to be able to set up my pool. We will have a 15' wide, and 4' deep pool for 3-4 mermaids. Mermaids will have goodies on the bottom of the pool to give the kids. Pool will NOT be open the the public, and all areas of safety are being considered. There will be a certified life guard on site at the pool, and a certified rescue diver. But have current certifications for CPR (Should they be necessary). We will also have a market tent that we will be selling tops, jewelry and accessories out of next to the pool.

Morticia Mermaid
03-18-2013, 12:03 PM
With all the awesome stuff that has been dropping into my lap lately, literally, I asked my fans to help me choose a new url for the website. No longer does it have the wix.com tags. With the help of my awesome fans, the new website url is http://www.shadowfancytails.com/

The website will be undergoing some construction over the next week or so. We will be updating photos and information. As well as possibly rearranging some things.

Morticia Mermaid
03-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Finally got a chance yesterday to play with the brand new airbrush system I ordered. I've had it about a week, have been watching painting tutorials and checking out artist forums and such because it's been cruddy weather since I got it. Yesterday was the first actual day of sunshine, so I took the airbrush, my mannequin and one of my tops outside to play :)

This is the result of 1 layer of paint-

I'ts pink and purple with blending and fading between the 2. Honestly, in my opinoin, I think it came out awesomely. I'll be able to put several layers of paint and not have to worry about too much build up. Really excited to get to painting a tail order with it this weekend. Tail's already all put together, just needs to be painted :)

Edit: Also want to point out that I took this this morning, the paint is entirely dry. So the shimmer you are seeing is actually IN the paint

Mermaid Tula
03-28-2013, 12:37 PM
So pretty!

Morticia Mermaid
03-28-2013, 12:38 PM
So pretty!

Thank you Angel! And that is just the FIRST coat of paint

Mermaid Tula
03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Nice! I love the glittery ness to it. Reminds me of space ^_^

Morticia Mermaid
03-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Kinda reminds me of what a mermaids skin might actually look like where there's no scales. Smooth, but still has that pretty scale shimmer without actually having scales

Mermaid Octavia
03-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Eee I can't wait to have the money to order my tail and top from you~

Morticia Mermaid
03-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Eee I can't wait to have the money to order my tail and top from you~

^_^ I'm glad you're excited Octavia. Since you're just up in Tigard, I'd be more than happy to have you come down and I'll get the measurements for you :) Would be cool to hang out and chat, meet another mer. Plus we can chat face to face about your tail design :)

Mermaid Octavia
03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Consider it done. ;) I'll PM you today and we'll work something out! The airbrushing looks just fabulous. Have you have any problems with the paint coming off?

Morticia Mermaid
03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Nope :) Absolutely loving it. Paint is staying on like a dream

Mermaid Octavia
03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
That is fantastic news and the blending is beautiful!

Morticia Mermaid
03-28-2013, 02:59 PM
That is fantastic news and the blending is beautiful!

Thank you :) I think I did not too bad for the first try

Morticia Mermaid
04-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Ok, so I wasn't going to post this on Mernetwork but, I think by posting it here I'll be able to reach more mer/people in my area. I started a go-fund-me to help get the money together for supplies we need for the fair this summer. I'm hoping this along side myself saving money for everything, that I will be able to get enough together even if I don't reach the goal listed on the fund raiser.

I am planning on making my own tent, at least I hope to. And will also be ordering the pool shortly, as well as decorations. The tent is the most costly of everything I need. I am planning on making it from duck canvas, for a couple reasons. 1- It looks very ship sail material if in the right color. 2- It wont require weathering. 3- It is a VERY sturdy fabric that will hold up very well for years when taken care of properly.

So, any money earned at this point will go towards buying all the duck canvas needed to make a 10x10' tent. As well as the hardware- grommets, rope, stakes. And the wood for all the posts/supports.

If I can get everything I need, without having to rent a tent, I am planning on giving away quite a bit of Shadow Fancy made stuff at the fair. And I would love to see all the mers/people in the NPP (North Pacific Pod) come and visit us. This will be a great opportunity for a bunch of people to personally see the tails in action first hand. I'm also hoping to have several tails that people can look at, check the paint work, quality, and over all design of my tails. I will also be launching an awesome announcement at the fair regarding Shadow Fancy's tails that I think everyone will be extremely interested in and excited about.

So please, check out the fund raiser. There are prizes at certain levels of donations that range from a thank you card right up to a custom tail. I'd love to get people to join the cause and help me get there.

http://www.gofundme.com/shadowfancy

Morticia Mermaid
04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
WOW! I'm super excited now! The funding is already at just over 21%! Going to be going to Jo~anns later today to buy part of the fabric I will need for the tent. Update photos will follow in the next couple weeks with progress!

To donate and help out, here's the link! http://www.gofundme.com/shadowfancy

Mermaid Tula
04-07-2013, 05:18 PM
That's awesome Morti!

Morticia Mermaid
04-08-2013, 10:12 AM
10 yds of Duck canvas on a single roll, uncut- $10.99/yd
3 rolls of heavy duty thread- $1.99 each
The look on the cashiers face when I hand her a coupon for 50% off a single cut of regular priced fabric... Priceless

Mermaid Tula
04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
LOL I did the same thing with my tail fabric Morti. <3 Is that going for your tent? And are you going to paint it?

Morticia Mermaid
04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Yes it is :) And actually... I'm going to buy some blonde/light brown hair dye, and water it down enough to go through a spray bottle... And I'm going to use it to "weather" the fabric after it's sewn so it looks like a worn sail was used to make the tent.

Main difference dear... The total was $114... I only paid $60 :thumbs up::lol ^::rotfl:

Mermaid Tula
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Nice! That's a great deal!

And why don't you use RIT dye instead of hair dye? Hair dye will leave the tent smelling funky. RIT doesn't make stuff smell.

Morticia Mermaid
04-08-2013, 10:36 AM
I'll have rinsed the tent multiple times by the time the fair rolls around :)

Morticia Mermaid
04-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Aslo, Go-Fund-Me is up to 25% :D Super excited about that! Any and all donations are welcome. And ALL donations will receive a gift/thank you!

Kanti
04-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Awesome!!!

Morticia Mermaid
04-10-2013, 11:10 AM
So, have some SERIOUSLY awesome news :D Things have been really picking up quickly for Shadow Fancy! I know a lot of you might not think that's awesome new, but let me tell you why I think it is. It means that here in the next couple weeks I will be turning in my notice at my current place of employment! That's right! I am LEAVING MY JOB to work full time making tails and such! I've even got people interested in having me make some of the clothing designs I have drawn up!

You see, I've had people over the last month threatening to ""screen shot my posts and send them to my place of employment" all because they are trying to stir stuff. But, you know what? I Really don't give a carp, because I have been planning on leaving anyways. So really their threats are rather empty. I honestly don't intend to return to this h*ll hole at any future point in my life.

Whisper
04-10-2013, 11:30 AM
So EXCITED for you and the growth you are experiencing...

MerEmma
04-10-2013, 11:30 AM
So glad you're able to quit your job and move on to follow your main dream! <3 I think that's fantastic for you.

Morticia Mermaid
04-10-2013, 11:37 AM
:) Thank you both. I can't explain how excited I am. I think it's going to be an awesome step for me. And it will give me the opportunity to work on other branches I have been looking into doing, such as my clothing designing

Morticia Mermaid
04-10-2013, 01:13 PM
My gran shared this picture on facebook a couple days ago when I had started talking about leaving my job.

I have seen it several times since then. So, I am taking this as a sign and have turned in my notice at the office :) I am seriously excited to get on with my dream and finally be able to enjoy the work I do!

Kanti
04-10-2013, 05:00 PM
O:
Badass! Now you'll have more time to get your sequin tail done which I am excited to see~

Morticia Mermaid
04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
^_^ Me too. Trying to work out a time schedule to balance out everything I'm going to have time to do during my days now :D

Working on tail orders (Have 4 right now)
stock piling accessories for the fair
making the tent for the fair
Going to the gym
Taking better care of myself
Working on my tail

:D It all sounds like so much fun!!

Kanti
04-10-2013, 05:20 PM
:'D sounds awesome!
I can't wait to see what you do with the tent too! You'll have to remember to bring a camera to the ren fair and go crazy with pictures o_O

Morticia Mermaid
04-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Oh believe me, I plan to!

Whisper
04-10-2013, 05:26 PM
I seem to be the official picture taker for the time being.. I like doing it.. I will be going with extra SD cards and batteries for the camera..

I am looking forward to it.

Morticia Mermaid
04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Just wanted to share this cause I thought it was seriously cool... Granted I about choked on my coffee when I saw it but, it's still awesome... And crazy. And yes, I have checked multiple times to ensure it wasn't a facebook glitch (it's not xD)

Mermaid Tula
04-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Awesome Morti! That's fantastic!

Kanti
04-12-2013, 10:52 PM
WOW where did you get all those!? xD
That's awesome Morti!
I honestly still have no idea what the reach is but any number thats big like that is prolly good xD

Morticia Mermaid
04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Whelp... I am not sure how we are managing it, but I am rather shocked. Despite our number of likes, we have managed to maintain a reach of OVER 3,500 for the last 2 weeks! Check it out :D

MerEmma
04-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Wow. o_o

Morticia Mermaid
04-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah. It's really surprising to me too :)

Mermaid Lorelei
04-18-2013, 04:44 PM
That's awesome!