PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Monofin

MerCat
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
I have been brainstorming ideas all day in my head while I work and I'm stuck on which monofin to purchase, and I'd love it if anyone has any input or information that I should know before choosing.

I plan on making (this is my first tail, and I'm an extremely ambitious person, and it might be a downfall, but..) a neoprene tail with sequins.

I'm looking at two possible choices for monofins. I wish I could just buy them both! I'm looking at the most popular and widely known Rapid Monofin from finis, or the Hydra Monofin. I like the rapid because it seems wider and therefore I could mold it into a prettier fluke, meanwhile the hydra monofin looks so narrow, I don't know if I would be able to do what I wanted with it. Something that has me leaning to the Hydra, is it doesn't have any ridges. It's flat, and smooth.

Please, if anyone has any input and can help me make up my mind, it would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to get started on this project! :)

Mermaid Marissa
03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
In my experience the rapid is a great monofin! It's a lot more sturdy than a completely flat one. My first monofin was smooth and I had a bunch of problems with it. If you are just looking at width know that you can always seal the fluke with neoprene cement. It's a kind of glue that is water tight so the monofin wont mildew and it allows you to form any fluke shape you want. I also would worry to much about visibility if you are adding sequins to it. Hope that helped :thumbs up:

Mermaid Lorelei
03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
I have a rapid, but I've had trouble with it since I got it. The straps are always slipping (both off of my ankles and also the locking mechanism) and the foot pockets have BOTH ripped in multiple places. It's a fun fin, but I suggest the Finis Foil instead. Or any other monofin without adjustable straps.

MermaidBrittany
03-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Will this be your first monofin? And are those the only choices that you want or sure? Jw :)

MerCat
03-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Mermaid Brittany, this will be my first monofin, yes. And those are just the two that I really like and that are really affordable. :)

MerCat
03-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Loreli, I'm sad to hear that about your rapid :( I guess either one will be ok, and i'm sure this won't be my first, there's always room for trial and error and I'm excited to get started on my own tail so I will be able to share with others my experience :)

MerEmma
03-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Have you considered the Oceanika? It's flat and has really good propulsion, but if the shape isn't for you then I can't recommend it.

MermaidBrittany
03-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Mermaid Brittany, this will be my first monofin, yes. And those are just the two that I really like and that are really affordable. :)

Ah ok. :) Well, I definitly recommend the competitor monofin when you can afford it/want an upgrade. I started with the wave, which is smaller than the rapid, but it was just to flexible and I didn't feel as if I was getting enough propulsion. The fiberglass however makes you go really fast! :D
Just my 2 cents. I now realize that I wasn't really helpful with your direct question, sorry! :P

MerCat
03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
MerEmma - yes I've seen the Oceanika monofin, but it's just not the shape i'm after, I appreciate your input though :)
MermaidBrittany - Yessss, I really want the competitor, it seems like the perfect monofin. I'm just unsure if i'm ready to shell out that kind of money for my first tail. Although I will be keeping that one in mind for any future tails that I may come up with! :)

Mermaid Saphira
03-18-2013, 04:51 PM
MerEmma - yes I've seen the Oceanika monofin, but it's just not the shape i'm after, I appreciate your input though :)

If you can wait for a little while, Oceanika is planning to release orca shaped monofins if that is more to your liking :).

MerCat
03-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Oooh, thanks for the info, I had no idea! I was just about to place an order for the Finis Rapid Monofin. I think i'll wait just a little longer and buy everything else I need first. Thanks a bunch!

Mermaid Saphira
03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Oooh, thanks for the info, I had no idea! I was just about to place an order for the Finis Rapid Monofin. I think i'll wait just a little longer and buy everything else I need first. Thanks a bunch!

Your welcome. Just as I warning, I've heard that the orca Oceanika fins won't release until 2014 but they haven't exactly been very generous with details.

If you want to take a look at them, I suggest going to the website gallery and flipping through the very last album.

MerCat
03-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Oooh, thanks for the info, I had no idea! I was just about to place an order for the Finis Rapid Monofin. I think i'll wait just a little longer and buy everything else I need first. Do you happen to know of any links that show the new design?

MerCat
03-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Oh man, 2014? I don't know if i'll be able to hold off that long, I might just go ahead and buy a monofin now and then for another possible tail, look at purchasing the orca fin later.

MerCat
03-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Wow, I just got a good look at the Orca Oceanika fin...I really want one now!

Mermaid Saphira
03-18-2013, 05:47 PM
I know how you feel! They are so beautiful, but I am certainly having a hard time waiting for them :/

MerEmma
03-18-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm personally not much a fan of the Orca shape but it will be a hard wait. I love my Oceanika and I hope the orca one will be great too, although I know the orca shape is going to be geared as a men's line so the foot pockets may not be as comfy.

MermaidBrittany
03-18-2013, 10:28 PM
MermaidBrittany - Yessss, I really want the competitor, it seems like the perfect monofin. I'm just unsure if i'm ready to shell out that kind of money for my first tail. Although I will be keeping that one in mind for any future tails that I may come up with! :)

Thats prob a good idea :) Like I said I started out with the wave.

That orca one looks really cool though! I have a feeling that its release date will be delayed :/

MerEmma
03-18-2013, 10:40 PM
(was going to edit my previous post but I'm on my iPod)

To add onto the men's line-ness of the orca shape; my Oceanika pockets are basically just rectangles. Not meant to be shaped like feet. And men's feet tend to be wider and more rectangle shaped so the pockets may not be that much different. I have wide feet and the Oceanika fits great.

I heard someone say that their Hydra broke I think...not positive though.

MerCat
03-19-2013, 03:11 AM
Well everyone, I've decided to go big and bad, I bought a finis competitor monofin :) I found it for a great price, so I went ahead and bought it! EEEeeek! Super excited now to get started on this whole project! Thanks everyone for the input. I wanted a competitor, I was just trying to talk myself out of the price, but since I found one that was pretty affordable, I went ahead and bit the bullet. I know it'll all be worth it in the end :)

Mermaid Saphira
03-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Good for you! I've heard great things about the competitor :D

MerCat
03-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Me too, I'm super psyched!

MerCat
03-19-2013, 10:28 AM
I just purchased an 80 piece dremel kit from harborfreight.com for only 10.79 for when the fin comes in and I need to cut it. I've never tackled cutting a fiberglass monofin before, so it should be interesting! I know to be VERY very careful and to avoid sharp corners and the 'v'shaped cuts....I know from reading enough on here that that's the quickest way to break a great piece of equipment!

MerCat
03-19-2013, 01:45 PM
(most of the 80 pieces are extras like replacement blades, and sandpaper tips..etc I wasn't trying to be excessive haha)

MermaidBrittany
03-28-2013, 12:07 AM
YAY!! How much did you find it for? If you don't mind me asking :$
And Do you know what shape you're cutting it into? :)

MermaidBrittany
03-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Oh, and I have a REALLY random question that has to do with your username,
do you happen to have a jacket with a large picture of a cat with a mermaid tail on the back? I was in an airport one time and saw a girl wearing one.
I realize that its a huge long shot buuut I just thought I would ask :P

Marilla
03-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Hi Mercat! I am glad you found a great price on your competitor, but if you don't mind me asking, what kind of find was it? Was it on sale, or just a one time one fin kinda deal? I am wrestling with myself about getting one instead of the rapid for my first tail, but I choke every time I see a new price! Thanks :)

~Mermaid Marilla

MerCat
03-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Oh, and I have a REALLY random question that has to do with your username,
do you happen to have a jacket with a large picture of a cat with a mermaid tail on the back? I was in an airport one time and saw a girl wearing one.
I realize that its a huge long shot buuut I just thought I would ask :P

Unfortunately no, I don't have a jacket like that :/ sounds like a super awesome jacket though!!

MerCat
03-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Hi Mercat! I am glad you found a great price on your competitor, but if you don't mind me asking, what kind of find was it? Was it on sale, or just a one time one fin kinda deal? I am wrestling with myself about getting one instead of the rapid for my first tail, but I choke every time I see a new price! Thanks :)

~Mermaid Marilla

It's definitely expensive, I finally just told myself if i'm going to go through with this and make a tail i'm going to get exactly what I want and make it exactly how I want it, so I just bit the bullet. I found my monofin here: http://www.poolweb.com/Shop-On-Line/Swim-Fins/COMPETITOR-MONOFIN. And it's still showing the same price I got mine for. It's free shipping too! My monofin just got here today and i'm super super excited!

MermaidBrittany
03-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Ok! aha random I know :P

Glad you got the competitor! Its super fast!

MerCat
03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Me too, I'm extremely happy with my decision to go with the competitor. I think it'll be best in the long run. Now to map out how I want to cut that beautiful piece of equipment! :)

MerCat
03-28-2013, 10:02 AM
I have a rapid, but I've had trouble with it since I got it. The straps are always slipping (both off of my ankles and also the locking mechanism) and the foot pockets have BOTH ripped in multiple places. It's a fun fin, but I suggest the Finis Foil instead. Or any other monofin without adjustable straps.

Mermaid Lorelei, I went above and beyond and got the competitor ;) Eee!

Marilla
03-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Congrats! Post lots of pics as you go, can't wait to see the finished product!

MerCat
05-28-2013, 01:43 PM
So I've been doing extensive research since my last posts, and I have decided to tackle a silicone tail! I've read up so much on them, and the more I read, the more I want! And since I don't have the funds to purchase one from Raven (someday I will!) I'm just going to make one on my own :) I'm doing this very slowly b/c of the cost....it's really expensive! And I hope if this tail turns out above and beyond my expectations, I will think about making more for friends and others who want a silicone tail!