PDA

View Full Version : North Pacific Pod Meetup?

Maple
08-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Hi lovely Mers of the North Pacific,

I know we toyed with the idea of maybe getting together in the intro forum, but I'd like to know if anyone would seriously like to meet up?

I'm more than happy to plan a meet up day in Seattle, which seems to be most central for all of us, and maybe do a lunch and either go visit the aquarium or maybe take a whale-watching tour. It'd have to be in late September, since I'm gone most of the month in Europe visiting family.

I'd also love to have a Vancouver-based BBQ as well over a weekend, if anyone is interested in popping over to the mainland or driving northwards.

Let me know what you think, Mers!

mermaid hannah
08-18-2011, 07:23 PM
i would love to! i would have to check up with my family but awsome idea and we should really look into it!

Little_Orca
08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
I would love to go, but the date is important. I have a meeting the 22nd for my internship and some other things, namely school starting again in late September for me. As soon as you pick a date, let me know ;)

kazekoh
08-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I am not technically apart of this pod, but Seattle is easier for me to get too xD; I also have school during September, but I am interested in knowing dates and such. :>

Maple
08-19-2011, 02:13 AM
I was having a look at my flights, and I'm back in town on Sept 24th, so I couldn't get together until the next weekend, which would be Oct 1. Would that work for everyone?

kazekoh
08-19-2011, 11:13 PM
I will know next week for sure :D If you guys don't mind me coming xD;

Maple
08-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Well, I don't mind!

I need some more 'yes' replies though...Oct 1, noon meetup at the Seattle Aquarium? We can either grab a bite somewhere before or while we're inside :)

Maple
03-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Bump Bump Bump!

I was still thinking about a mer meetup; maybe sometime this summer?

What do you lovely mers think?

Princess Kae-Leah
03-09-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm up for a meetup!

NorthernPearl
03-15-2012, 09:22 PM
I'd join in if it turns out I can afford the ticket by whenever it happens. :) I'm in Alaska. (And a newbie. Hi all!)

Oceana
03-24-2012, 03:19 AM
I'm down. I'm in the Vancouver suburb area =)

Mermaid Nyla
03-24-2012, 07:00 PM
yes yes and yes! i only live an hour away from seattle so a meet up like this would fantastic! (that is we are still thinking of doing it there) anytime really is fine with me. we all need to figure out everyones schedule and maybe go off of that. and if we really are gonna do this, we need to figure out how to let everyone know

MermaidMisty
03-29-2012, 08:53 PM
I'd love to if I can afford the trip when the time comes. :)

embry
04-27-2012, 01:11 AM
I think this would be so fun >.< road trip for this one! hehe

Maple
07-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Okay, there seems to be a lot more interested in a PNW meetup since we've had a few more mers join the pod!

I am more than happy to organize a meetup either in Seattle or Vancouver, BC. We thought the Aquarium would be a good place to meet, have a tour there and then maybe go catch a movie or go for a swim? I don't know any good swimming places in WA but I'm sure my good friend google can help me with that, lol.

Sad thing is I have really limited availability right now - I have one weekend in August free, the Labour day weekend (going to be crazy getting through the border) but I am free after Sept 15 (I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding that day)

Let me know! Let's meet up!!

Raayvhen
07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
I definitely think that Seattle is a good idea since there seem to be quite a few WA/OR Mers around here and I'm sure that not all of us have passports (like myself for example) There's some great swimming areas on Lake Washington which is just a stones throw from downtown Seattle. I also have limited availability, since I'm a Bridesmaid for an August wedding. I think that late August or very early September would be best weatherwise. I'm down for Labor Day weekend.

Princess Kae-Leah
07-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I personally would prefer the meetup to not be a swimming meetup

Zora
07-15-2012, 07:36 PM
I say yes to a meet up

Maple
07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Okay, so here's a preliminary itinerary:

11:30 am - Meet at the Starbucks in Pike Place Market
12 pm - walk over to the Seattle Aquarium and spend some time there
4 pm - Grab a bite a a local restaurant - there are some nice places in the Market
After dinner - this is where it gets ambiguous. For those driving - you might want to head home (3+ hours drives eek). For people who are more local - we could either try and swim at a local pool or maybe catch a movie? It depends on how dry/wet we want the event.

I want to make this clear: I will work very hard to make sure all attending mers feel included in this event, even if we happen to end up going to a pool.

Also, we have a few pod members who are very sensitive to scent, so I am respectfully asking everyone who attends to not wear perfume or consume any seafood. Thank you.

What do we think?

Winged Mermaid
07-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I would LOVE to have a meetup! I couldn't make it to Vancouver because I haven't started the passport process yet, and I've been told that takes 3-4 months :/ Seattle would be perfect though! Just an hr and a half drive or hr ferry ride away from me :) I may be able to drive to Oregon as well.

I would like to get in a "jump start" meet up in the actual summer months. I have no idea how long the summer lasts here.. I know it didn't start until July 4th and was rainy and cloudy and cold as heck before that. I want to jump on swimming in lakes before the warm and sunshine goes away! Basically just go ahead and make a date for a meetup in August (a Saturday preferably) and see who comes. Seems to me we need an ice breaker meet up!

Princess Kae-Leah
07-15-2012, 09:43 PM
I would not got to the PPM, or go out to a restaurant unless ppl promise not to eat seafood around me, as being seated next to ppl eating seafood overstimulates my senses and makes me lose my appetite, due to my ASD. Also, I'd prefer if ppl around me be sure not to wear any kind of perfume, cologne, etc., as perfume overstimulated my senses and makes me feel stressed and agitated.

Alexi
07-15-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm so in! I'll be in Seattle for Labour day weekend, but I'm going to be at PAX so I won't be available for Merfolk action. I don't mind coming down the weekend before or after. Especially for a day trip! I'd love to meet Merfolk to the south. :)

Maple
07-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Hmm. Do we want to split this into two events? A summer swim event and an aquarium event, or is that just too hard?

I was thinking we could just have a meal at the Aquarium. It's right there, we don't have to walk, and then we can depart straight from there instead of having to tromp through the market.

I have just a few days in the summer open:
Next Saturday (eeeeeeek)
August 11
Labour Day weekend (will be insane at le border)
And any Saturday after the 15th.

Raayvhen
07-15-2012, 10:38 PM
I think right now everyone just needs to post their availability.
I'm free from now until July 28th. I'm also free labor day weekend and after August 18th.

If we could manage next Saturday I would be there. We'd have to do some serious planning and spread the word like wildfire though. Should I make an event page on Facebook?

Princess Kae-Leah
07-15-2012, 10:48 PM
I'll have to check if those dates are convenient to me

Winged Mermaid
07-15-2012, 10:59 PM
I just moved, so I have no school or job involvement at this time. So, pretty much free as a bird! Just nothing before noon please please please!! Or at least be there long enough that I'd still get a few hrs in if I showed up in the afternoon. (Yay sleeping disorders -_-) The sun is up till 8-9ish lately anyhow. I'd be available as soon as next weekend. We can even have a mini ice breaker meet up and have a bigger one next month. I'd be willing to just meet someone at a public pool, haha :)

Raayvhen
07-15-2012, 11:33 PM
So I like the aquarium idea. I also like the idea of it being this weekend. Does anyone else?

Maple
07-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Nevermind! I completely forgot I am going to be at the local Ren Fest with Oceana this weekend. Steph is even rushing my tail to me!

FAIL.

Still might be able to do the 28th.

Raayvhen
07-16-2012, 02:11 AM
I can't do the 28th I meant to say the 27th in my previous post. I have bridesmaid duties at a bridal shower.

Maple
07-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Aw darn it. Myself, Oceana and Alexi can all make it down that day...

Raayvhen
07-16-2012, 02:36 AM
August 11th I have a concert. When you say after the 15th, did you mean August or September?

Maple
07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
For the Aquarium visit, I mean after September 15th. I'm also a bridesmaid and the wedding is that day :)

We were hoping that Sept 22 would work out as an Aquarium day.

Mermaid Arianna
07-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Hhhmm I will be in Seattle in 3 weeks or so. But people all seem busy then. I live in Portland so it is easy to get there for me plus I have a place to stay. U know what we be really cool is if we had a mermaid photo shoot at multnohma falls! We would have to talk to the park rangers. Just an idea. Maybe everyone should list the dates they will be available to travel and plan around that. But it would be so awesome to meet some more mers!

Maple
07-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey Madeleine,

I've made two seperate posts for our two summery events: a swim meetup and an Aquarium day. Have a look there and see if any of the days work out for you to come up and meet some mers!

I've never heard of Multnohma Falls! I'll look into it for sure!