PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid mascara?

MermaidFyre
03-21-2013, 07:09 PM
I buy drugstore brand mascara (like $12 ones at Target), almost always waterproof for extended wear. But I never wear any mascara in the water (even waterproof) because it also smudges, flakes, or clumps.

I've haven't really heard for a good, mermaiding mascara yet. Can anyone suggest one?

Or maybe just a way to swim-proof my normal mascara? I've heard of (but don't really know how to go about an) eye drop method. I also have some underwater sealent from Mermaid Minerals, could I somehow transfer that to my lashes?

Thanks and have a bubbly day! :mermaidkiss:

~Mermaid Fyre

Kanti
03-21-2013, 10:59 PM
I actually think regular mascara is fine so long as you don't rub it or touch it.
It usually sticks on pretty well. I used mabellene or whatever that's called, they have a SUPER ULTRA SOMETHING NEVER COME OFF UNLESS YOU CLIP YOUR EYELASHES OFF and that stuff is like tar! Sure it rubs off when you rub your eyes but I guess that's the challenge xD

Winged Mermaid
03-22-2013, 12:02 AM
"Waterproof" makeup does not actually mean submersible the vast majority of the time. It means it stands up to splashes, crying, watery eyes, rain, ect. I use L'Oreal Double Extend mascara in waterproof (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=150339&catid=183542&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler) and it stays put enough for me at the moment- after 1-2 hours in which I'm mostly underwater it's still there. But it still flakes when it gets wet, although I've never noticed the flakes on my skin (which could look bad). I actually use this stuff for my every day makeup because my eyes tend to water and I live in a rainy state. I tried the MUFE (Makeup Forever) Aqua Lash and I didn't like it, and other underwater models also say it's crap. I'm digging through underwater modeling threads on model mayhem to try and find a better answer. From a makeup artist "Hands-down it's Cover Girl Marathon Mascara (green tube). I've used it for underwater photo shoots and it does not budge. We tested like, all of them, before settling on this one and it didn't let us down. After extensive testing, this by far the waterproofiest of the lot. It didn't budge and looked great all day." He posted multiple times about this (as well as discussing grease and cream based makeups along with pics) so I'd say it's worth a shot!

I will say NEVER put anything that isn't meant for your eyes around your eyes, never put anything that isn't meant to be on your lashes on your lashes. You can do permanent damage if you get something like that in your eye. A big thing people forget about when it comes to that is glitter. Never use non cosmetic grade glitter on your face. It can scratch your cornea or worse, and can do permanent damage. It's just not worth it. If it's going on/around your eyes, make sure it's made for it. Even if it's made for your around your eyes does not mean it's safe for lashes either.

Aqua Seal from MUFE is better than the Mermaid Minerals Aqua Line IMO, but neither of them are recommended for using on lashes/overtop mascaras. I was recommended Anastasia Lash Genius Waterproof Topcoat by a Sephora employee but I have yet to try it. I may try it since if I don't like it I can return it for a full refund within 60 days and store credit up to 90 days after. Yes, even used. They're awesome that way.

Hope that helps in your search :)

Goldie
04-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Ok, Hard Candy Lash Ink will not smudge smear or come off at all without remover. I like to use the same brand of remover by Hard Candy called "Take It Off" Stuff is a little pricier than say covergirl same kind of stuff but you WILL NOT be disappointed.

Goldie
04-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Oh Big Plus++ Hard Candy Brand Cosmetics DO NOT test on animals :) :)

Arella
04-20-2013, 08:04 AM
What about falsies? Would those stick under water?

Mermaid Lilium
05-03-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm a natural redhead with platinum blonde eyelashes so this is a big thing for me! lol

I dye my brows but I've never managed to use the tint kit on my lashes as it always ends up in my eyes and I can't help but have to wash it right out. The covergirl mascara is discontinued =( and I'm struggling to find one here in the uk that isn't $50 + $40 shipping D:

I'd definitely be up for testing falsies - I wonder whether duo lash glue would be water resistant enough?

AniaR
05-03-2013, 05:08 PM
I use:
http://www.sephora.com/aqua-smoky-lash-P237501

Winged Mermaid
05-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Aqua Lash didn't work for me at all. It was worse than cheap drugstore brands. Even underwater models say it's crap :/ But the good thing about Sephora is you can return it if it doesn't work. Just be sure to keep your receipt in a safe place.. I lost mine and couldn't return it :headwall:

spottedcatfish
05-07-2013, 04:10 AM
I was wondering about this today. I'm thinking of trying that covergirl marathon mascara.

Winged Mermaid
05-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Sorry, I just found out it's discontinued :( Tubes of it are going for $50-$100 on eBay cause so many people loved it so much and willing to shell out for it. People are posting on FB and on Covergirl's website how they want it brought back becuase they used faithfully it for 20+ years (stuff came out in the 1980s). But apparently they discontinued it becuase sales weren't as good as they wanted. :/ People are looking for replacements and I keep seeing nothing holds up to what Marathon was, or is even "in the same class" as Marathon was. And a lot of these people have tried over a dozen different mascaras since (some of them over 30 others..). Covergirl, WTF. :headwall:

Winged Mermaid
05-07-2013, 05:33 AM
After a few more hours of research (I am hell bent over here :P) I've settled on a new mascara to try out. It's Urban Decay's Ultra Waterpoof Cannonball Mascara- http://www.sephora.com/cannonball-ultra-waterproof-mascara-P286303 . I'll be sure to keep track of my receipt this time and let you know how it goes :)

Mermaid Lilium
05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Btw I have a bunch of makeup that I've collected for various shoots (and will be getting a ton more once my mother in law comes from PA to visit) and once I get a little time I'll test various stuff firstly in the shower and then anything that stands up to that I'll pool test once I get in the pool =)

Has anyone tried http://www.limecrimemakeup.com/products/EYESHADOW-HELPER.html this? I bought it recently and it looks pretty good so far =)

preethika108k
03-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Does these mascara will stay in water.....

Mermaid Nerida
03-13-2015, 11:15 AM
I use Maybelline MegaPlush waterproof. It works perfectly! It has never clumped, smeared, or flaked ever. I love it!

Mermaid Enora
03-13-2015, 11:30 AM
I love urban decay cannonball mascara ultra waterproof
I think it works really well I've worn it for extended time underwater without it running or smudging.
the Aqua line from MUF didn't worknwell for me either every bit of it falls off in the water

Mermaid Wesley
03-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Oooh I'm taking note of these. Mascara never stays on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Lilium
03-16-2015, 04:52 PM
UD Cannonball flaked really badly for me =(

I've been swearing by maybeline falsies waterproof mascara =)

Kishiko
03-16-2015, 04:55 PM
I use NYC showtime waterproof :) It's not super awesome in the way of making youre eyelashes look 11 feet long but it does stay on well and is only about $4 a bottle!

Mermaid Sirenia
03-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Ok guys just made a discovery of AMAZING waterproof mascara that gives you long, thick lashes while also being SUPER waterproof! I've been swimming for over an hour and it still looks great! My lashes may not look too great in the photo but I had even been rubbing my eyes while I was swimming (plus I have super short lashes to begin with) Anyways I HIGHLY suggest this mascara! Cover girl full lash bloom waterproof, it's a new mascara of theirs :)http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/20/7d5484d41b465e828aa2c61a4024e7b9.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/20/0539dc4c76b2f5f45b57e6da717ea87d.jpg

Mermaid Pickles
03-20-2015, 06:32 PM
I will TOTALLY look into this!

Kishiko
03-20-2015, 06:40 PM
How much is that Sirenia?

Mermaid Sirenia
03-20-2015, 06:46 PM
How much is that Sirenia?

Around $5 I think:)

OceanWhisper
03-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Imma have to get some of that :D how well/ easily does it come off when you want it to?

Mermaid Sirenia
03-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Imma have to get some of that :D how well/ easily does it come off when you want it to?
As long as you have some makeup remover it comes off fairly easy

Kishiko
03-20-2015, 08:57 PM
I'll definitely try that! Mine is almost out anyway :) Oh while I'm thinking about it, the necklace that you got me for my secret Santa gift, do you know if it's water safe? (Sorry to derail lol)

Sent from my shellphone using Mertalk

Mermaid Lilium
03-21-2015, 09:21 PM
sucks that we don't get covergirl in the UK... looked up how much it'd be to get via amazon uk aaand it works out at like £20 inc postage. So like $30. For a single mascara.

*facepalm*

Mermaid Wesley
03-22-2015, 02:11 AM
sucks that we don't get covergirl in the UK... looked up how much it'd be to get via amazon uk aaand it works out at like £20 inc postage. So like $30. For a single mascara.

*facepalm*

I would ship it to you if it's cheaper that way;)

Princess Pearl
03-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Id love to try the UD cannonball one, but they didn't have it at my Sephora [emoji20]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Winged Mermaid
03-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Id love to try the UD cannonball one, but they didn't have it at my Sephora [emoji20]

Usually when Sephora doesn't have something they typically carry in larger stores, or are just out of the product, they can offer to have it shipped to the store for free, or give you a code to put in on their website for free shipping to your house. I've had that happen a few times with different products myself! So ask a sales rep :)

Mermaid Enora
03-22-2015, 08:14 PM
I get my UD cannonball mascara from ultra

Princess Pearl
03-22-2015, 11:41 PM
I get my UD cannonball mascara from ultra

No Ultas in Canada, so I have to go with what I can get at Sephora or Shoppers Drug Mart.

Elle
03-23-2015, 05:12 AM
4 more days till UD products hit the shelves near me... I'm going mad

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mermaid Enora
03-23-2015, 10:07 AM
too bad about no ultas. :(

Mermaid Lilium
03-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Wes i might take you up on that lol tbh there's a bunch of USA only mascaras that people have listed on here that i'd like to try at some point but I'd have to get via ebay or amazon. I might just wait until next merfest and make some time to go shopping properly for makeup xD

What frustrates me to no end is the fact that MUFE is not in any shops over her... I think there's a MUFE shop in london... but that's expensive and a long trip to get to >_< if only MUFE would come to selfridges *Sigh* I don't mind ordering makeup online but only when I have swatched the colours in person or it's a well reviewed eyeshadow palette etc

Mermaid Wesley
03-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Wes i might take you up on that lol tbh there's a bunch of USA only mascaras that people have listed on here that i'd like to try at some point but I'd have to get via ebay or amazon. I might just wait until next merfest and make some time to go shopping properly for makeup xD

What frustrates me to no end is the fact that MUFE is not in any shops over her... I think there's a MUFE shop in london... but that's expensive and a long trip to get to >_< if only MUFE would come to selfridges *Sigh* I don't mind ordering makeup online but only when I have swatched the colours in person or it's a well reviewed eyeshadow palette etc

Yeah, no problem! It would probably be cost effective for you to make a list for me to pick up for you and send over together. Anyways its a standing offer :)

Merenneito Nerissa
04-02-2015, 03:23 AM
Ok, I just can't recommend this one enough... :) One that definately don't smudge cause it just can't! Kanebo's 38 degrees mascara, it creates a bit rubber-like cover on your every lash, and when you want to remove it you just wash your face with warm water and gently pull on top of your lashes. Pulling sounds a bit hard, but you really don't need to use force, I have very thin and sensitive eyelashes but they haven't suffer at all. This is the only mascara which have been working perfectly for me :) I used it when my mum recommended it since she have had these problems with mascara smudging on her eyelid after a long day, and you know, waterproof mascara doesn't work for that because it's the grease on your own skin what causes the smudging and waterproof mascara is usually removed with oily cleaners. But this mascara is perfect also for that and then I realized that this is the one which fits perfectly underwater too :)

Mermaid Tami
04-02-2016, 12:29 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160402/711cf730a1b0a71b40c0a5970465533e.jpg
This is all you need! It will take several layers but it doesn't flake or run. ) actually you can wear it for a week at a time to get a good build up) The downside is you're going to need several coats because since then, but again it's stays on perfectly.

Sabrina the Selkie
04-02-2016, 12:36 AM
That is actually seriously great info!

SeaGlass Siren
04-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Hey Iona, any update on that mascara?

AniaR
04-07-2016, 12:38 AM
Waterproof (blue text) vollumizing ( gold label) manga eyes has been the best I have ever tried

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

KayNS
05-13-2016, 01:20 PM
I had fairly good results with Sephora Outrageous Volume waterproof mascara, however I find I do get a bit of under-eye smudging (even when I wear it dry) and it's really hard to get it all out of my lashes, even with makeup remover and coconut oil. I also had really good results with their waterproof liquid liner.

I'm still looking for my perfect mascara, so I'm interested in trying out the UD Cannonball and the Manga Eyes.

KateyMermaid
06-05-2016, 09:10 AM
I currently am using the waterproof mascara from NYX. Pretty cheap ($7 or $8) and you can find it at most drug stores.
I've been pleasantly surprised with this mascara. It doesn't flake or clump when submerged, and lasts an incredibly long time. My only issue is that it takes some vigorous rubbing to remove with a makeup wipe.

Sent from my iPhone

AelianaNympha
06-05-2016, 09:57 AM
I currently am using the waterproof mascara from NYX. Pretty cheap ($7 or $8) and you can find it at most drug stores.
I've been pleasantly surprised with this mascara. It doesn't flake or clump when submerged, and lasts an incredibly long time. My only issue is that it takes some vigorous rubbing to remove with a makeup wipe.

Sent from my iPhone

I have the same issue with waterproof, but I recently found a really helpful solution! Simple makes a micellar water and I soak two cotton pads in it and then hold them to my eyes for about thirty seconds. After that the mascara wipes right off!

KateyMermaid
06-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Micellar water? Not familiar with it

Sent from my iPhone

AelianaNympha
06-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Micellar water? Not familiar with it

Sent from my iPhone

This is what it looks like. http://www.inhautepursuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/simple-skincare-micellar-water-review-inhautepursuit1-e1423728071543.jpg
I buy it at CVS or RiteAid - I think they even carry it at the grocery store. They make face wipes pre soaked in it, but I've never used them so I can't recommend them one way or the other. Highly recommend the micellar water though!

KateyMermaid
06-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Huh. That's kinda awesome. I'll definitely check it out! Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone

AelianaNympha
06-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Huh. That's kinda awesome. I'll definitely check it out! Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone

No problem! I love the stuff. Doesn't sting either!

Mermaid Enora
06-20-2016, 01:53 AM
i just ran into micellar water at ulta today. I got some and used it tonight and its AMAZING!!!!
it removed mascara and black lipstick so easily and quickly and wasn't oily at all.

AelianaNympha
06-20-2016, 10:06 AM
i just ran into micellar water at ulta today. I got some and used it tonight and its AMAZING!!!!
it removed mascara and black lipstick so easily and quickly and wasn't oily at all.

Isn't it the BEST?!

Mermaid Enora
06-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Isn't it the BEST?!

Yep, can't believe I'd never heard of it before!

AelianaNympha
06-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Yep, can't believe I'd never heard of it before!

I only knew about it because I love simple products so much. I have really sensitive skin and have to be SUPER careful with what makeup and skincare products I use. Otherwise: HIVE CITY.

Mermaid Enora
06-20-2016, 09:47 PM
I only knew about it because I love simple products so much. I have really sensitive skin and have to be SUPER careful with what makeup and skincare products I use. Otherwise: HIVE CITY.

same here

SINicallyTwisted
06-20-2016, 11:00 PM
This is what it looks like. http://www.inhautepursuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/simple-skincare-micellar-water-review-inhautepursuit1-e1423728071543.jpg
I buy it at CVS or RiteAid - I think they even carry it at the grocery store. They make face wipes pre soaked in it, but I've never used them so I can't recommend them one way or the other. Highly recommend the micellar water though!

I have and use this same thing! Totally agree as well that it's pretty awesome. [emoji4]

AelianaNympha
06-21-2016, 12:27 AM
I have and use this same thing! Totally agree as well that it's pretty awesome. [emoji4]

All right! More fans! Haha. [emoji16]

Mitten Mermaid
01-15-2017, 11:09 PM
I love Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof mascara. I am a HUGE makeup junkie and just recently started making my own eyeshadows and glitters. I love this mascara because it add volume and length without weighing down my eyelashes and it stays on throughout my entire mermaid parties.

MermaidLiara
01-16-2017, 01:39 AM
I think what matters most is whether your mascara has properly dried after you've applied it. If it's dry, it won't wash away so easily in the water.

SeaGlass Siren
01-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Um.. that's not how mascara works.. even if the formula is dry once it's in the water it'll get wet again and run down your face... that's how you get raccoon eyes when you're crying during a movie.

thats why they invented waterproof mascaras.

MermaidLiara
01-18-2017, 12:13 AM
^It always works for me. If I wait long enough it won't run.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

SeaGlass Siren
01-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Care to share the brand?

Mermaid Mystery
01-19-2017, 01:28 AM
better than sex waterproof is my life

MermaidLiara
01-19-2017, 01:39 AM
@Seaglass Siren: l'Oreal max volume. Once I applied it a few hours before I went into the ocean to surf. The conditions turned out to be too perilous and I fell off my board countless times and the waves crashed on me like crazy, felt like I was in a washing machine lol.

But my mascara was still FLAWLESS when I got home.

SeaGlass Siren
01-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Do you have a pic of the product? I'm looking for it on the website but i can't seem to find

MermaidLiara
01-20-2017, 02:00 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/b055b5a9ebf3e6cfc3607d6b544ba273.jpg it's this one.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

lilibit
03-07-2017, 04:58 PM
I am a bit late to this, but I thought I would share what I use (which isn't mascara).
I dye my eyelashes at home with 1000 hours dye. It lasts me 3-4 weeks, and looks like I am wearing mascara all the time! :)
I used to have issues with getting eye infections quite easily, but with this stuff I haven't had any problem. It is good in and out of the water. It also means I rub my eyes less, which is again good because I get hayfever all year round where I live, so I am forever using eye drops and rubbing my eyes more than normal.
I just use a cotton bud to apply it to my lashes and it's a lot easier. :)