PDA

View Full Version : What does 'heat set' mean and how do you do it?

mergirl22
03-24-2013, 04:51 AM
I am considering making a latex/neoprene tail in the future and I understand the process apart from when it says you must heat set createx paint. I've no clue what it means, what you need to do it and how you do it? please help!!!!!

Arella
03-24-2013, 07:11 AM
It means that it won't air dry you need to apply heat with a heat gun or a hair dry for the product to fully cure.

Sephina
03-24-2013, 08:23 AM
I've heard a hair dryer doesn't set it properly, you'll need a heat gun. They are pretty inexpensive.

MerAnthony
03-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Heat guns are not that bad to buy. I had bought one a while ago an it was less than $25. But if you use a heat gun, They throw out extreme heat an my take a chance to burn your project. I have read that if you use a iron with the heat setting for your fabric with brown paper on your project to heat set the paint. I have done this with my neoprene tail that I am repainting with success.

Winged Mermaid
03-24-2013, 09:15 AM
There is info in this thread ☆ Tail Care and Maintenace, The Official Thread ☆ (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?3108-%E2%98%86-Tail-Care-and-Maintenace-The-Official-Thread-%E2%98%86)

-For painted tin cure latex tails, you can repaint and touch up the paint with Createx brand airbrush paint. This can be found at craft stores nation wide. You do not need to have an airbrush to paint the tail, you may brush it on with a paint brush. Let the paint dry for at least one hour, making sure all paint is completely dry, before curing the paint. You may have to recoat the paint in layers to get a nice uniform coat. If so, be sure to let it dry between layers. It is better to wait and do it correctly. Heat set with a very hot heat gun to cure the paint. A tool grade or craft grade heat gun is recommended. A hair dryer will not work. Be careful when using the heat gun. Keep it moving- if a spot gets too hot the paint will bubble and will become prone to peeling and flaking off, and it is possible to melt or burn a hole in the tail if one area is heated for too long. Paint will eventually come off over time, and with scrapes on abrasive surfaces such as concrete, rocks, and pool walls.