PDA

View Full Version : Making My First Top!

Mermaid_Aurora
03-24-2013, 10:25 AM
So I was talking with my friend the other day about how I plan on making mermaid tops, and she gave me an interesting idea. She told me she would LOVE to see a sand dollar top, so, I decided to design one!

A lot of the images used in the design is clip art and free stock I found on google and photoshopped to suit my needs (I suck at drawing shells and plants and this gave me the most accurate result, so I hope that's fine). I intend to go shopping soon for the supplies and will post more pictures and update frequently when that happens!

I'm aware sand dollars are very fragile shells, and starfish fall apart when wet, so the ones used are going to have to be fake. Otherwise it would probably be a bit impractical. Would sculpy clay hold up in the water if I coated it with some sort of water proofing stuff?

Mermaid Saphira
03-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Absolutely beautiful! I would love to see this come alive!
Just a suggestion, maybe you could make silicone shells, starfish, sand dollars, etc or order them?

Mermaid_Aurora
03-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Silicone shells? That sounds like it would work better than sculpy. I'll have to look around to see if there's any already made, if not I'll just take a mold of a sand dollar and get some silicone for it. I'll be surprised if I dont find some already made on etsy though, they seem to have everything! lol

Mermaid Saphira
03-24-2013, 10:38 AM
I could be mistaken, but I believe there was somemer on here that offered silicone starfish and shells...*swims around etsy*... I was right! Look here (http://www.etsy.com/listing/109357689/silicone-sea-creatures-shells-and-stars?ref=usr_faveitems) and here (http://www.etsy.com/listing/109624218/small-realistic-silicone-scallop-shells?ref=usr_faveitems). Perhaps you could request the sand dollars, etc?

Mermaid_Aurora
03-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Aha! Thank you! :D I'm gonna have to obsessively browse around their store now xD Requesting the shells to be made would definitely save me the trouble.

Mermaid Saphira
03-24-2013, 10:45 AM
^ Your welcome ^-^ I'm so glad I could help. Good luck, I'll be looking forward to this top!

Mermaid_Aurora
03-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Just contacted one of them to see if they would mind making some large sand dollars. Here's hoping! :D

MerEmma
03-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Atlantis is going to make me some miniature seastars once she's finished moving, which should be around mid-April I guess? I can't wait to work with her. :D

Mermaid Saphira
03-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Atlantis is going to make me some miniature seastars once she's finished moving, which should be around mid-April I guess? I can't wait to work with her. :D
That is good to hear that she is going to work with you :)

Mermaid_Aurora
03-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Got messaged back from Atlantis, she says I could send her the sand dollar of the size I want and she'll make a mold of it. I just HAPPEN to have a sand dollar of perfect size already. She also said she'll include a few starfish for a little extra (since I need a starfish and I like hers). So, yay! Now to just get a bunch of bubble wrap and a small box so the shell wont shatter on the way there xD

Mermaid Saphira
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Got messaged back from Atlantis, she says I could send her the sand dollar of the size I want and she'll make a mold of it. I just HAPPEN to have a sand dollar of perfect size already. She also said she'll include a few starfish for a little extra (since I need a starfish and I like hers). So, yay! Now to just get a bunch of bubble wrap and a small box so the shell wont shatter on the way there xD
Wonderful news :3

Mermaid_Aurora
03-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Yes! I hope I have a box laying around, we're always getting packages. Now I wish I saved that box I had, my rabbit chewed it up. Oh well, I'll find another. Out of paranoia I'm going to put FRAGILE on every inch of that box! xD

Sad part is though the family members I live with aren't being very supportive of my project. I keep getting told sand dollars are flat, they wont work. Guess that's another thing I'll have to prove wrong lol.

Speaking of which, I got a tip from a friend saying to use silicone glue to glue the shells and plants on. Would that work, or is there a better glue I could use?

MerEmma
04-14-2013, 01:50 AM
I'd use E6000 if I were you. ^^

Mermaid_Aurora
04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to post an update on this!

My dad is taking me to the craft store today to pick out the items I'm going to need for this project. However, my camera broke today (I was taking pictures for my etsy shop and I stupidly dropped it, UGH!) so pictures will have to wait until I get a new one.. Which is hopefully soon.

I'm so excited!!

MermaidSarah
04-26-2013, 10:00 PM
I really love that design <3 Tre cute ^_^ It also reminds of the Hawaiian vibe a lot and I love Hawaii because of the shark gods and goddesses.

Mermaid_Aurora
05-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks! I've been sick and busy with other stuff (plus lack of funds) So I haven't been able to get to actually buying the supplies yet, but I'll hopefully be able to soon. It's frustrating how long its taking me just to go out and buy the fake plants. Dx

On another note, I have also been wanting to make silicone sculpted tops. You know, kinda like the ones merbella makes. I have some ideas of my own I would LOVE to bring to life myself (A jellyfish top, and a coral reef top being two of my ideas) but I have no idea how to do it. Is there any tutorials anywhere on how to make them? I'm not having much luck finding anything.

Mermaid_Aurora
06-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Small update. Finally got around to going to the hobby store but was only able to afford getting the fish net and some lion paw seashells for another top design I had in mind.

My recent design idea is right here: http://i41.tinypic.com/8zmb5w.png

Will probably be a LOT cheaper to make so there's a slight possibility that I'll be making this one first if I don't make both of them at the same time.