PDA

View Full Version : Coney Island MerFriend Meetup June 22- 12:00pm

malinghi
03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
I think I might be able to go this year!! Let's plan a meetup! Who else is going?
The parade is June 22, 2013, at 1 pm. Here's the official website: http://www.coneyisland.com/mermaid.shtml

Also, its probably a long shot, but if we get enough people in our group, any interest in a MerNetwork float?

<As we plan it, I'll edit this post to add info about a meetup here.>

MerAnthony
03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
This could be interesting

Spindrift
03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Dunno what my summer plans are, but if I'm not traveling overseas I can probably make it.

malinghi
03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
I was think about this some more, and as unlikely as it is, I 'd love to have a small unpowered float at the parade. One of the main reasons is cause if we had a float, then those of us who have swimmable tails would be able to wear them to the parade. If we don't have a float we'd have to walk around on legs like a bunch of chumps.

As for ideas for a float, the smallest trailer uhaul has is only $15 for 6 hours, and they have locations in Brooklyn. It's pretty small, and only weights 630 lbs, so I think it might be possible for a couple people to sit in it and still tow it with a bike. Although we'd need to find a way to get it to the parade since I don't want to take it on city streets pulled only by a bike. What do you guys think? Is that too dangerous or stupid? Any ideas on how to make a small float cheaply and safely and get it to the parade?

http://www.uhaul.com/reservations/images/Equipment/Trailers/Open4x7Dimensions.png

Spindrift
03-15-2013, 10:04 PM
I have a car and a place I can park in Brooklyn - were you thinking of putting a tank in that thing, or just have people sitting in it? How would that work out?

New York Mermaid
03-16-2013, 01:33 AM
Guys they might not do the mermaid parade this year from what i heard, http://www.bensonhurstbean.com/2013/03/coney-island-no-mermaid-parade/

something about lack of money, but if its happening Im so going

malinghi
03-16-2013, 03:43 AM
I have a car and a place I can park in Brooklyn - were you thinking of putting a tank in that thing, or just have people sitting in it? How would that work out?

A tank would be amazing, but I wasn't thinking anything that ambitious. I just think it would be cool to have something we can ride on. I imagine that we'd want something to elevate the sitting surface so that the tails are visible, considering the trailer has railings along the sides and front. Also, I think it would be cool to maybe decorate it with some fabric over the sides, or maybe a MerNetwork banner or flag or something. If we can think of more ways to decorate it that would be awesome though.

Guys they might not do the mermaid parade this year from what i heard, http://www.bensonhurstbean.com/2013/...ermaid-parade/ (http://www.bensonhurstbean.com/2013/03/coney-island-no-mermaid-parade/)

Man, that would be such a bummer if they cancelled it! I guess we'll have to wait and see.

MerAnthony
03-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Or even how about a snow mobile trailer? It's wide enough an able to carry the weight of others riding on it. It's light enough an easy to pull if needed.

Dacora
03-18-2013, 04:09 PM
If only I lived closer. I have a truck AND trailer we could use. :/

You could stack bales of hay in the trailer then put fabric or blankets over the hay to make the mers more visible and that would be a good place to sit.
It would also be cute to drape fish net over the sides with little fake crabs and fish and shells sticking in the netting.

New York Mermaid
03-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Lets bring this up, I know a few people are going, Whether the parade happens or not we should do a meet up, hey we got a whole ocean to work with and fun and just a fun time!!

New York Mermaid
03-28-2013, 02:11 AM
I know A few merfolks are going, I will be there, Bring your tails/monofins, all are welcome to come, we are doing a meet up in Coney Island, Stillwell Avenue.

Group photos and ocean tail swimming is on the agenda along with a few fun photo ops :D

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/322234691212420/

Seraphina Suds
04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Did you pick the date to match with the Coney Island Mermaid Parade or was that just a crazy coincidence? :p

New York Mermaid
04-16-2013, 08:53 PM
lol one of our other Mer friends had the awesome Idea :)

Spindrift
04-17-2013, 12:27 AM
*I'll do my best to make it since I've missed everything else :|

malinghi
05-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Here's a facebook event for this meet-up. What's the expected turnout right now?
https://www.facebook.com/events/322234691212420/

New York Mermaid
05-09-2013, 12:51 AM
So far from what i know JV, Shawn, Matt, Me my upstate mermaid friends : Marilyn, Lisa and My mermaid in training Nury, hoping Lola Starfish and Spin Make it. so about 8-10 pple

malinghi
05-09-2013, 01:13 AM
So far from what i know JV, Shawn, Matt, Me my upstate mermaid friends : Marilyn, Lisa and My mermaid in training Nury, hoping Lola Starfish and Spin Make it. so about 8-10 pple

And you can add me to that list. I'm super excited!

I've never been to the parade and I don't know much about it. Its super crowded, right? Where should we meet? Is noon too late to get a good spot for watching (unless you guys want to march in the parade)? What stuff should I bring?

New York Mermaid
05-09-2013, 02:48 AM
Yeah definitely. it gets super crowded yes, But what we do is Usually meet at the West 8 street Aquarium train station next to the ramp and make sure we got everyone and hit the beach But this will be alot of the merfriends first time out at the parade and in general. We got to work on the Meeting place and such. Im not sure if any are marching. I know im not because I have to meet a few of the mers at the Grand central before getting there.

The parade starts at 1pm if i remember correctly. We are bringing our tails and some money for some lunch AND IF YOU WANT SOMETHING ELSE. definitely bring something to drink and sunscreen also a camera too, Im bringing camera and vid cam as well. I have an underwater housing for my little digital cam which does video too for some mer POV :D my hubby will be joining us, others are welcome to join as well. We def got to do a group photo in and out of tails.

malinghi
06-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Just wanted to mention here that the fundraising goal was reached, and there will be a parade this year.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll86m0WRg81qj0zk3o1_500.gif

Spindrift
06-03-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm coming! And I'm bring some friends along for the ride. No float, right?

malinghi
06-04-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm coming! And I'm bring some friends along for the ride. No float, right?

Nah, a float is too much trouble. I think the plan is to hang out and watch the parade and then go swimming at the beach afterward.

Spindrift
06-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Bleeehhh. I got into two (TWO) car accidents last week Thursday at the SAME intersection, 6 hours apart. Both times a teenager ran a stop sign. I'm hoping I can still come, but I probably won't be swimming or bringing my tail >: (

malinghi
06-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Bleeehhh. I got into two (TWO) car accidents last week Thursday at the SAME intersection, 6 hours apart. Both times a teenager ran a stop sign. I'm hoping I can still come, but I probably won't be swimming or bringing my tail >: (

Oh man. Are you alright?

Spindrift
06-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Lol I'm coping. I have a neck sprain and a chest contusion. I'm actually more upset that it happened a few days before my scuba certification. I'm a lot better off than the driver of the car I was in though. Car is totalled completely and he's in crutches. At least time off means I get to work on my tail a bit :)

OrcaMatt
06-18-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm still in. I've got a birthday party in the evening I'd like to get to (Technically I forgot about Mermaid Parade being the 22nd and said I'd go to this party) in the evening so I might have to start heading back at a reasonable hour, but should be able to get there. I'll probably bring my tail and a monofin if anybody want to use them.

Spindrift
06-23-2013, 12:53 AM
I had a lot of fun seeing you guys! Sorry I couldn't stay for very long :| I love the photos!

AniaR
06-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Raina demands photos! lol

OrcaMatt
06-23-2013, 12:48 PM
We don't have a lot of photos of the parade itself. We wound up with a spot on the boardwalk and it turns out most of the parade doesn't go down the boardwalk. So we decided to head to the beach and established camp, and the parade kind of found us. I haven't looked at my camera yet but I don't feel like I got very good pictures. There are good ones up on facebook, though.

Completely epic day, though.

Seraphina Suds
06-23-2013, 05:17 PM
I've got a decent amount of pictures! They're not the best, but they're still fun!
My facebook album for the day~ (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.656830769367.1073741827.65602094&type=1&l=740758fd7a)

New York Mermaid
06-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Wish I could have been there, Poor hubby is a bit better though, (we had to make an emergency trip to the ER hell I thought he had flipping appendicitis by the way he was groaning in pain and holding his side. however Surgery is definitely in his future.) *sigh* the life of a merwife is never done, but Its alright, There are many more meetups in the future. What do you think of a whale/dolphin watch meet up??? I know a great company I've been round, which run them June-August, on Wednesday - Saturdays.

AniaR
06-24-2013, 04:36 PM
For anyone who'd give permission, we'd love to have photos to put in Tail Flip, email them to tailflipmagazine@yahoo.com with whatever credit you want!

Seraphina Suds
06-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Lanai: We missed you! I hope your hubby's surgery goes smoothly! I'm totally for a whale watching meet up.

Raina: I'll email you some of the better pictures.

Theta
06-28-2013, 12:05 PM
I had a lot of fun seeing you guys! Sorry I couldn't stay for very long :| I love the photos!

I'm sorry you couldn't stay longer, but THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FINDING ME!!!!! I was so lost lol. I love your face!