PDA

View Full Version : YouTube Mermaid Series: Any made by/Featuring adults?

Nate Walis
03-31-2013, 12:18 PM
There have been a few threads posted around here by members about the myriad of series being posted on YouTube that concern themselves with mermaids, recommending some and praising the efforts of those who make them.

But I wanted to ask those who are in the know if there were any which are not made by or starring young girls?

I know this is the largest demographic likely to be making and watching them, but as an adult male I am not very interested in watching such things for reasons that are quite obvious.

Is there anything out there that is more Splash! than Aquamarine in nature?

Kanti
03-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Urggg I totally freaking wish there was.
They could totally do something in more of a LoTR sort of nature and it would be majorly kickass!
I guess people don't really do it because it would cost a lot and generally take a lot more effort.

Whenever I do come across a mermaid youtube show it's almost always (at least as far as I have seen) little girls (under 16) who are doing it in their backyards/pools/at the beath and stuff like that. It almost never has an actual production value, but I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying that's how it is xD

It'd be totally badass if someone were to make that series but honestly I don't think the mers would ever be the ACTUAL centerpiece of the show. I think an ENTIRE show revolving around merfolk might just be weird for most people to get into, as mermaids are just sort of thought as kiddy and junk. Not to mention it may be more expensive to make since EVERYTHING will have to be waterproof, from props/makeup to clothing pieces and costumes to cameras and lighting equiptment and all that! I mean, I guess you could skip the cameras and you wouldn't really have to make a set, you'd just find some lake or pond to shoot in xD

Ariel-Starfish
03-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Urggg I totally freaking wish there was.
They could totally do something in more of a LoTR sort of nature and it would be majorly kickass!
I guess people don't really do it because it would cost a lot and generally take a lot more effort.

Whenever I do come across a mermaid youtube show it's almost always (at least as far as I have seen) little girls (under 16) who are doing it in their backyards/pools/at the beath and stuff like that. It almost never has an actual production value, but I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying that's how it is xD

It'd be totally badass if someone were to make that series but honestly I don't think the mers would ever be the ACTUAL centerpiece of the show. I think an ENTIRE show revolving around merfolk might just be weird for most people to get into, as mermaids are just sort of thought as kiddy and junk. Not to mention it may be more expensive to make since EVERYTHING will have to be waterproof, from props/makeup to clothing pieces and costumes to cameras and lighting equiptment and all that! I mean, I guess you could skip the cameras and you wouldn't really have to make a set, you'd just find some lake or pond to shoot in xD

Or They do everything in crappy computer manimations -_-

Kanti
03-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Or They do everything in crappy computer manimations -_-

Bleh!
I've never seen an actual youtube series with those but I've seen random CG for mermaids and it's always so weird looking.
So far only PoTCoST has been the only one to do it very well, imo.

Nate Walis
03-31-2013, 01:40 PM
All of the series that I've happened to see on there (and I've never actually watched more than 5 seconds before realising the entire cast were so young and closing the browser) seem to be variations on the theme of H2O, wherein they discover that they're mermaids and manifest the same magical powers.

But come to think of it, even that would be less of a bore if the cast were above the age of 17 at least.

MerEmma
03-31-2013, 02:10 PM
They could always film at aquariums, I think. If someone were to film a higher-budget mermaid show. If I had the means and money and such I'd probably end up doing one, but nobody on the forum really has the means or money. xD It'd be really cool to film one where they weren't full-time mermaids but since speaking underwater is near impossible, they would either have to come up to speak, use subtitles or just try to do some sort of "mer-language."

Mermaid Saphira
03-31-2013, 02:46 PM
I enjoy filming and editing videos, thus I can pressume that I will be making mermaid movies well into adult hood. ;)

blenny
03-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Yeah good idea, it doesnt even have to be high budget. It can be just as low budget as all the others. This would def be the place to inspire people to create mermaid drama series. It doesnt even have to be adult themed, just come up with more well refined stories than nickelodeon style shows, more like an HBO miniseries. Plenty of people here have amazing tails here but they only use them for some pictures and a couple of outings. That should be the next level of challenge for the mer-community, is creative youtube series. Something that gets away from all the traditional mermaid stories and pushes the bounds of creatativity. I would imagine it could even pan into even jobs and work for some, look at all the cool stuff Raina finds herself doing.

Mermaid Annariea
03-31-2013, 11:00 PM
as for the speaking, people could lip sync and then put the speech over it.

also, maybe merfolk & pirates? maybe?

Mermaid Lorelei
03-31-2013, 11:19 PM
I think it would be awesome to put together a more adult series (either adult mature or simply older audience). I'd love to try my hand at this sort of thing, but I have no idea where I'd find the time, money, or help.

MerEmma
03-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Merfolk and pirates would be really cool.

Alveric
04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
I would feel flattered, not offended, if some one made a script from something I wrote. I'm not sure how filmable any of it would be, but I do have mermaids and pirates together.

Kanti
04-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh yea! I forget you can make it centered on pirates harharhar.
That would work.
But someone over youtube might have a hard time getting the pirate props down like the ship and all that o_O

MerEmma
04-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I'd say a ship set would be the most difficult. As long as you had a boat though I think people would watch it if it had pirates and mermaids and good acting.

Nate Walis
04-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I suppose one of the issues in this area is the fact that the most likely group to pick up a camcorder and film themselves making an amateur drama are the young girls who have the time and inclination to do so once they and their friends have enough mermaid tails between them. Older women who dress up as mermaids seem to be understandably more interested in doing so as a profession or else have RL commitments that mean they have to devote their time to other things.

I'm just also wanting to be clear that I don't simply want to look out older women doing this kind of thing in the hope of finding a drama of an adult nature (though I would of course never oppose the idea of one), it's more along the lines of the comparison that I have already drawn between Splash! and Aquamarine, based on the motivation of an adult to be even remotely interested in watching either of them.

Kanti
04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Meh I think it's because youtube series-es are a lot of work, money and there's no guarantee that people will even like it or watch it.
The girls who do the mermaid series are generally just people who already have tails, like you said, and just use a camera. I think half the time they don't even write too much of a script because there are often mistakes, but nothing awful xD
I think if someone wanted to tackle the idea, it could be funded rather easily if you were to make a kickstarter for it, but you'd at least need something to show for yourself before you got into it or else people wouldn't be sure if they'd want to fund you or not.
Not to mention you'd need a LOT of stuff, it would be a daunting challenge and if you were to take it into kickstarter because you'd have to make sure you could deliver what you promised and actually do a quality show that your backers helped pay for.
You'd need props, costumes, locations, sets, scripts, music, good filming equiptment, editing and a good director who can tell people what to do and how to be. It COULD be done, it'd just have to be thought about before you go around tackling it or else it might turn out very amateur.

Nyx
04-01-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm actually planning on making a more serious youtube mini series with a couple of friends! We are all 16 or above except for the camera guy but he's mad talented, he lives and breathes film.
However, this project has a 50/50 chance of failure because of the difficulty, our budget, and tight resources.
If it DOES end up happening, it's mainly going to consist of volunteer help and DIY special effects because we aren't as good in computer graphics.
The series is loosely inspired in the short films The Underwater Realm and we will be using a few of their techniques for filming.
It's going to be much more focused on action an adventure than romance or teenage dilemmas, and the mermaids will be their own species instead of the typical "oh gosh I'm a human who gained magical powers!" (we are even creating a whole new language!). The main theme is also going to revolve around protecting and helping the oceans, it's the main topic I want to get across with it.
We are super excited for it! Hopefully we will mange to get it off the ground this summer.

Kanti
04-01-2013, 07:35 PM
That sounds super badass Nyx I'd love to see it if you ever get around to it o_O

Mermaid Caspiana
04-01-2013, 07:48 PM
My friends and I r going to try to do a mermaid series on YouTube that is not so happy go lucky and such. There is some dark magic and things that u never find in regular shows. Actually to day something the vampire diaries helped me think if some stuff. lol. So hopefully that will happen. I have the beginning of the first episode planned out already it is very intense. But all we need now are costumes props time etc. so ya. Very excited!

Nyx
04-01-2013, 07:55 PM
@Kanti, why thank you! I'll be sure to post any updates. Actually, I might even ask for your opinion here and there, after all you are awesome at costuming XD

Kanti
04-01-2013, 11:16 PM
You should definitely keep everyone updated!
Haha *blush*
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb67vf8XvK1qjji7a.jpg

Mer-Crazy
06-23-2013, 08:35 PM
My friends and I are starting a Mer-series on Youtube early next year. All of us are older (18+) but play as younger characters (still in highschool). We have tried to stay away from all the cliches (so there will be NO humans turning into mermaids).

Mermaid Caspiana
06-23-2013, 11:34 PM
My friend and I are the directors and such and we are currently going over everything. I watch it in my was as I would want to watch it on YouTube. So I hope this happens very soon and again, it's nothing like you have seen before. It has backstories, plot twists, death, rage, dark magic and some their stuff. And there are more that humans...*cliff hanger...lol...*

Mermaid Caspiana
06-23-2013, 11:34 PM
If anyone has tips on cool effects please share! Thanks!

Mermaid Caspiana
06-23-2013, 11:36 PM
Also, we are in high school and will be featuring adults. And in my opinion, the best mermaid show on YouTube is by MysticTails. Check them out.

Echidna
06-23-2013, 11:38 PM
I know this is the largest demographic likely to be making and watching them, but as an adult male I am not very interested in watching such things for reasons that are quite obvious.

:D:D:D
A few well-made movies aside, I've not watched any of that youtube series stuff (highschool- brrrr).
I adore the Underwater Realm though, and Nyx's project sounds fintastic.

I'd love to do a similar thing (from a mythological viewpoint) with a group of dedicated mers in my region, not necessarily as a whole series, but several short films for starters.
This kind of thing is probably easier to do in a warm climate though, so you don't have to deal with bad weather and icy waters on top of the other difficulties.

MaskedNightingale
07-22-2013, 06:42 PM
I always wanted to make a series about Merfolk, with more plot than the typical kiddy films. I even wrote up a few outlines for the ideas.
---
I always thought that mermaids would be able to "talk" to each other telepathically.
----

I was thinking, what about a series that each part will be made by a different pod.
"Mermaids around the Globe" as an example. Each pod will have a story of their merfolk.
Do you think that could be something we could all work around and do? :)