PDA

View Full Version : Original Mermaid Writings

AniaR
08-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Hey guys, I've sorta jumped into the writing craze with mermaids for fun. I am drafting out a story idea that will be turned into a script and then a webcomic. I've always wanted to make a webcomic or a graphic novel. I know KL and Alveric and a few others have been working on stories too as well as poems, songs, etc. I thought I'd start a thread where we could share these.

So I've started writing mine, it's called "The Last Mermaid"
The link: http://www.fictionpress.com/~rainamermaid
The Synopsis:
Teagan has returned to the town of Mahone Bay having left it for the West Coast 15 years ago when her father died. She accepted a teaching position at a local academy and her Foster Grandmother has moved back with her. We follow Tegan- who wears a whale pendant around her neck and frequently dreams in Gaelic nightmares- while she gets re-acquainted with the town, makes new friends, struggles with her job, and faces the memories of her father. While spending some time on the beach one night trying to do something in her dad's memory she witness a boat catching on fire and slowly starts to discover special powers while she saves a young local man who it turns out- didn't want to be saved.

The story will follow Teagan as her 'powers' develop and her mer side is revealed, while she learns about her father and absent mother, navigates her friendships and the man who didn't want to be saved, along with a headmaster who's a little fishy in his own right. The idea is the story will become like a super hero story while Teagan learns more, changes more, and comes to terms with her abilities.

I want LOTS of feedback. I consider myself a terrible writer with ADHD so spelling errors are everywhere. But I really want to make a graphic novel and Im a pretty plot and dialogue driven person so I think it's perfect for me.

Id love to hear about other people's writings and applicable links too!

Princess Kae-Leah
08-21-2011, 01:32 AM
I have a thread started elsewhere about my own FictionPress series.

AniaR
08-21-2011, 01:36 AM
wanna post the link KL and a brief summary? I think it would be cool to have an index in one place and then threads for people to discuss specific stories!

Alveric
08-21-2011, 12:36 PM
My Mer-novel Hannah's Tale will soon be published on Fictionpress (Thanks Raina). It is still a work in progress, but near completion.

Here is the synopsis.

What if you were transformed into a real mermaid? What if it wasn't your idea?

Hannah Mendenhall is the senior editor for Darknight Books, a small fantasy, sci-fi and RPG publishing house. While working a booth at a cosplay convention in Orlando, Florida, she's persuaded by her boss to try on a mermaid tail. At the very moment she puts it on, Eric Winters, one of the convention's sponsors, awakens an ancient magical force by wearing a prehistoric shaman's mask. Suddenly, thousands of people at the convention are changed into whatever their costumes portrayed.

Not only do Hannah and her (now Jedi) fiance, Alex face a future very different from what they had planned, they need to help find some lost children and combat a sinister kidnapper who would like to add a mermaid to his collection.

I'll let you all know when it's up.

Alveric

Princess Kae-Leah
08-21-2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W
Here's the link to my FP profile.

"Nerissa Sanderson, The Part-Time Mermaid of Sunshine Valley, CA" Series Summary: Nerissa Sanderson was your average, insecure, 15-year-old girl, growing up in sunny Southern California with her eccentric single mother, until she discovers that her father, who she always believed was dead, is not only very much alive, he's not even human! ;)

Alveric
08-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Hannah's Tale is now up on Fictionpress http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2945918/1/Hannas_Tale Hope you all enjoy it. In any case, please let me know what you think.

Alveric

Alveric
08-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Music has always played a role in my writing. Especially Hannah's Tale. Here are a couple of songs that appear in the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvbEgPlvgGE From Chapter Eight of Part Three, The Water is Wide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3vjS7huPw From Chapter Fourteen of Part Three, More Mer Magic.

Alveric

Nerissa
09-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Oh, this is great! :D
I like writing poems and other texts. Most of them are not mer-related, but I wrote a poem called Siren a few days ago. It's in my blog, Nonsense and Balderdash. But I can post it here, since this is after all the only mer-related poem I've written so far.
The siren is inspired by the Viperfish, the way it seduces its prey with its lantern.

The Siren
You can find her in the water
Deeper in the mist
She is like a dream
A dream you've always missed

You can see her in the deepness
The deepness of your skin
Wash away your sweetness
Wash away your sin
The siren sings her tune
A tune you want to see
A short walk on the moon
You've never felt as free

A deeper shade of dark
Her voice is turning hoarse
It happens like a spark
She's caught you with her force

A voice can be a weapon
To find the perfect prey
You want to escape the dead end
But now you have to stay

Her voice has started screaming
It hurts like you know what
Soon you see the siren
The beauty of a cut

Never have you seen
An ending quite like this
Now all you see is green
The greenness of a kiss

You can find her in the water
Deeper in the mist
She is like a dream
A dream you've always missed

You can see her in the deepness
The deepness of your skin
Wash away your sweetness
Wash away your sin

Moonflower
09-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I've been working on my own series focused around mers for years now. The first book in the series will be called 'Aquarius' and continue throughout the zodiac (Thus, the collected works will be called the 'Zodiac Series'). It will be a companion to my Penny Dreadful series (both are set in the same universe and have several of the same characters. Penny is primarily about vampires). It's our world, set in the now, but there's a lot more out there than you or I know...

Please be warned, my books are classified as Paranormal Romance and are borderline erotica. Meaning, there is a lot of sex and other graphic situations. And, I personally don't believe in HEA, because nothing truly ends.

The banner below has a link to my author facebook, as well as the first chapter of Penny #1. I'm working on Penny #2 right now, and submitting #1 to publishers. Aquarius has been being worked on for years, I've just been thinking over how I want things to work before I continue (I've re-written the first few chapters half a dozen times from scratch).

If anyone has any questions about the series, please feel free to ask me here or on my author page ^_^

Alveric
09-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I've just added chapter sixteen to part three of Hannah's Tale http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2945918/1/Hannas_Tale.

Here's a short sample (edited to remove spoilers).

Skye swam along the beach, popping up every now and then to check her progress. When she saw rooftops over the barrier dune, she body surfed in and crawled onto the sand. She then climbed a wooden stair over the dune, thump, thump, thump; but hesitated at the top. Going down a flight of stairs is one of the most difficult things you can do with a tail. She decided to go off the boardwalk and crawl/slide down the back of the dune instead. On the way down, she slid through a tall patch of salt grass right into a pair of children playing in the sand.
"I'm sorry, you-all OK?" Skye sat up and curled her tail around herself.
"Hey! You smashed our mound!" Complained the boy, who was about eight and wore shorts and a plain tee-shirt.
The girl squealed, "It's a mermaid!" She was about Skye's age and wore an out-sized Disney World shirt over her swimsuit.
"Yep!" said the young Mer proudly.
"Can't be. She's just wearing a fake tail," grumped the boy.
In answer, Skye uncurled said tail and let it flop in front of her.
"Oooo. See Donnie, It's real! Can I touch it?"
"Sure. My name's Skye, by the way."
"Cooool!" she gingerly poked the tail. "I'm Cameron, Cammie for short. That's my brother Donnie." she indicated the sandy-haired skeptic. "Where did you come from?"
"Orlando, but I was born in Tampa."
Cammie's eyes widened, "Are you one of those Xanadu people?"
"Uh-huh."
"Mom says not to talk to strangers," said Donnie. He was starting to irritate Skye.
"I think she only means grown-ups."
"Actually, I need to talk to your mom. A couple of my friends are up the beach a ways, one of them's hurt. Do you-all have a phone?"
"Sure, come with us. Are they mermaids too?" said Cammie.
"Yes." The two siblings walked on either side as Skye crawled between them toward the house.
"Do you have to crawl like that?" said Donnie.
"Don't be so rude! Can't you see she doesn't have legs?"
"Can't fly neither, cuz I don't have wings, but my sister does. Do you?" Skye was OK with not walking, but that didn't mean some snooty little boy could rub her nose in it. "She lets me ride on her back." So there!
Skye thumped up the steps and into the living room, where she twisted around and lifted herself onto the couch.
"I'll go get my mom, she's usually not up this early," said Cammie.
Donnie sat on the opposite end of the couch and stared at Skye, which made her nervous. She brushed down her tail with her hands, as though smoothing a nonexistent skirt. Instead, she knocked sand onto the carpet. Oops!
"Do you have to bounce like that?" Donnie asked.
Skye looked down; she had been nervously bouncing on the couch.
"You're doing just like Tigger!"
She finally had enough, "Why can't humans eat their young, like we do?" she hissed and bared her teeth at the young pest. They weren't pointed, like some Mers, but it had the desired effect. Donnie turned pale and backed away.
Skye heard a gasp and looked up to see a woman in night gown and robe with her mouth gaping open.
"Oh...Hi! I'm Skye Walker. Can I use your phone?"
"See mommie, I told you there was a mermaid in our living room!"

Alveric

Alveric
09-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Here's another short excerpt I can't resist adding. It's from Chapter One of Part Two. My Avatar is based on this scene.

As Alex pushed me to the lake, he filled me in on what he had been doing for the last twenty hours. When he told me of his duel with one of the Vaders, part of me was all fan girl, "I'm going to marry a Jedi! How cool is that!" Part of me was horrified, "My God. He could have been killed! What then?" I probably would have turned to sea foam and blown away.
I did the same for Alex. He was rather amused by the way I disposed of the puma, which was the only time I was in any real danger. He asked me why I didn't use the Vulcan nerve pinch on Old Ben the pirate. That floored me. I had totally forgotten about that. I wasn't even sure I knew how to do it. After all, not every human can do Kung Fu. Alex declined my offer to try it out on him.
When I got to the part about Skye, her siblings and how her parents must be hunting for them, Alex stopped dead. "Speaking of parents, what about ours?"
"Oh Lord!" I put my hand to my mouth. "What are we going to tell them?" My parents are not particularly good in a crisis. "I can see Mom rolling on the ground screaming when she gets a good look at me."
"Maybe that would be a good time to test the nerve pinch?" Alex suggested.
"This is serious! She's gonna freak!" And Dad will just stare at her dumbly while she does.
"Do they know we're here?"
I thought hard about that one. "Yes. I told them I'd be working all weekend at the Kubla Con. This stuff is all over the media, I bet." I hadn't considered what the rest of the world might be seeing about what was happening here. Next thing I knew, Alex was handing me my cell phone. I took a deep breath and started dialing. To anyone listening, the conversation went something like this:
"Hello, Momma? This is Hannah...Yes, we're OK. Sorry it took so long to call, things have been kinda hectic here...Changes? Us? Yes there are some changes...just a few...I'm a mermaid Momma...a mermaid...You know...Yes, like the Disney movie...Momma? Momma? Poppa? Is that you? Tell her to get up off the floor! There's no sense her carrying on like that!...No, I don't need to be in the hospital. I feel fine...No, I don't think there's a cure for it yet." The pauses mostly represent hysterics. I didn't even tell them my top half was Vulcan now.
Eventually, I handed the phone back to Alex. "They're on their way here."
"Oh crap."
"How did your folks take it?" I asked.
"Better than yours. They're content to wait til we tell them it's OK to come, or we visit them. Will they let your mom and dad in?"
"They've been letting in anyone who can prove they're a close relative of a survivor, in everywhere except the Center itself."
"It'll take them all day today and all night to drive here from Ashville. I hope they stop to sleep."
"That gives us some time. Unless they decide to fly. I need a swim in the worst way now."
Once at the lake's edge, Alex began stripping down to something swimmable, but still decent. I was still in the eternal Orlando Magic tee-shirt and army blanket. I looked longingly at the water.
"Do you want me to carry you in?" Alex asked.
"That would be romantic, but there's something I want to try first." I pulled away the blanket, locked the wheels of the chair, rocked forward, then using my tail muscles as a spring, catapulted into the water. I surfaced a few feet from the shore. "It worked!" I said.
"I'm impressed." Alex put the breathing device in his mouth and jumped. It must be the Jedi thing, but he jumped a lot further than I expected. He made a grab for me as he splashed in. I squealed and kicked away. He was also a lot faster than I expected, but not near fast enough. I surfaced again and waited for him to get near. He surfaced and removed the breather.
"Give up?" I said smugly.
"Never! I have not yet begun to chase tail."
I flipped said tail over my back and gave him a faceful of lake. Giggling, I swam off again and began circling for a jump. I kept a lookout this time. We didn't have the lake all to ourselves and I didn't want to plow into someone like a red-headed torpedo. I did my jump, flipping head over tailfin and landing on my back. I then swam back to where Alex was resting on the surface.
"Did you see that!"
"Yes ma'am. That was a good one."
"Thank you," I said, trying my best to sound haughty. "You have my permission to catch me now." I rolled over and dived slowly.
"The Queen of the Sea is most generous." He took me about the waist and I wrapped my tail around his legs and held him close. I kissed him on the forehead. He removed his breather and we kissed until we were both half asphyxiated. Then we just drifted in each other's arms.

Hope this entices people to read more. :-)

AniaR
09-09-2011, 06:29 PM
I just found this awesome program through my school for making comics! You know I'll be making a mer-comic soon! Bahah http://plasq.com/products/comiclife/win

Alveric
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Hannah's Tale is being serialized on seatails.org. Chapters One and Two are up.

Alveric

Alveric
09-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Hannah's Tale is now complete and can be found in its final form at http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2945918/1/Hannas_Tale .

Please give it a read and tell me what you think. Is it publishable? Would you like to see it on paper? ...or Kindle?

Alveric

ScheherazOdd
09-27-2011, 09:37 PM
I started work on a collection of mermaid stories-and-poems-and-what-have-yous recently, so far I've only got two short stories hammered out.

That which has no title: http://scheherazodd.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3klj3h

That which has a title that I don't like very much: http://scheherazodd.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3vyprz

I'm right in the middle of another that I'm thinking of calling 'The Mermaid's Piano', inspired by the infamous Miami sandbar piano.

mermanjr
09-28-2011, 11:45 PM
my idea would be what if the world would end and this scientist would creat sirum that would transfer anyone in to a mermaid or merman in a quick get rich sceam kinapped a couple test it on them an turn them in to merfolk then put them in a side show but the day after this massive storm destroyed the town and they escaped to open ocean waters thanks to this hurricane and now they populate on this romte island and start a merfolk community thanks to the sirum but find it has some side effectsand limitations they learned how to turn others in to merfolk and turn a populas into merfolk and now the ocean is full of merfolk the land becomes ravaged and the oceans become the new utopia of planet earth and the real story begins

well all what you think of this book idea

Alveric
09-29-2011, 11:44 AM
It's been done before, but not very well, which gives you the opportunity to do it better. :)

Alveric

Alveric
09-29-2011, 09:36 PM
While writing, I spend hours listening to music.

This has become the love theme for Alex and Hannah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS-fBWGtd5s

A (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS-fBWGtd5s)lveric