PDA

View Full Version : My silicone shell top!

MermaidHyli
04-04-2013, 11:15 AM
So awhile ago I spotted a beautiful top made by MVD. I fell in love and had to have one but from what I've seen most mers use actual shells and bras with decretive things. Thus I decided to give it a shot of making my own. I got the mold accomplished with some minor faults =/ but so far so good.Then I did the silicone with straps attachmentsAfter two days of grueling anticipation it was ready to come out =]. Here is where I'm at so far
The bottom is pretty messed up and there are some bubbles...but hey not every shell you pick out of the ocean is absolutely perfect right? I figured with some precise cutting and shading it won't look too bad.. I wanted to get onto painting today but its so cloudy and they're calling for rain so we shall see..

MermaidHyli
04-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Update*

I trimmed it up and I think it looks a bit better.

Kanti
04-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Awesome! I like the paint job, it's very nice!
Nice simple mold too!
How's it wear? O:

MermaidHyli
04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
It's not too bad! I have rather small tatas soooo that works well =] When I talked to the guys at smooth on they sent me some glitter that I can set up in the mold so that it will cast into the silicone and then show through when I paint it.

MermaidHyli
04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Remember how I said it was gonna rain...well actually we got this..

So in the mean time I made another mold and it came out way better!

MerEmma
04-04-2013, 07:18 PM
It's so pretty, really. The gold and white... ah. <3

Blondie
04-04-2013, 07:30 PM
I think it looks fantastic!!

MermaidHyli
04-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks ladies! Im attempting to thin the silicone so I can add some blues to match my tail. The process is extremly slow though haha

Mermaid Tula
04-04-2013, 07:45 PM
This is pretty awesome. I wish I could find a lion's paw shell large enough to cover my ta-tas.

MermaidHyli
04-04-2013, 07:49 PM
I searched etsy and this was the biggest I found. My friend has double D and im comtemplating how I can make her some. Perhaps make a clay negative of the shell or make this size ajd but on a nude bra her size and cover the crap out of it with shells seaweed etc.

MermaidHyli
04-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Starting to bead the top while I wait, yay for snowy days so I have to work on the details haha

Mermaid Tula
04-04-2013, 08:37 PM
I've been thinking about that too. I think an adjustable bra would work well

Mermaid Tula
04-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Cute beads!

Kanti
04-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Heeee
I love those beads!! Very cool! O:

MermaidHyli
04-05-2013, 09:26 AM
@comatose, I'm sure it could work silicone will stick to anything really especially its self so maybe do a thin layer on the bra let it cure then add a dab and just stick the shell on. From there it could be simple to add netting, seaweed, shells and other fun details to hide the bra straps.

@Kanti, thanks! I love starfish and since my tail is basically centered around the time I'm getting married (beach theme with majority of it being starfish) I figured the little starfish beads would be super cute.

MermaidHyli
04-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Also update from this morning. Pulled the second shell out and well I'll just post the picture and let you guys decide.

much better the second go around if I do say so myself. This one is much lighter and dried way faster. But I completely forgot to add the glitter to this one..oops..I'll just paint it in later. So the first shell will become my test subject and I will have to cast another to complete the top. Yay progression!

Lotus
04-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Wow girl that freakin rocks!!!! Eventually I 'll get around to doing this too- thanks for posting!!

Ariel-Starfish
04-05-2013, 12:05 PM
<3 !!!

Mermaid Tula
04-05-2013, 01:18 PM
That one looks a lot nicer than the first. Did you have to trim off extras much?

MermaidHyli
04-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Actually no not at all barely anything had to be trimmed. I casted the second shell last night and these are the results from this morning.

All it needs now is some more beads, a paint job, and some decor! woo almost done!

MerEmma
04-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Looks great so far!

Mermaid Tula
04-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Looks great! Love the tattoo btw. And is the one that looks kind of lumpy still in the mold?

MermaidHyli
04-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Nope just pulled it out I still have to trim it down but I was too excited to remember haha

Mermaid Tula
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
hahah lol it happens. <3

Mermaid Kassandra
04-06-2013, 11:58 AM
I definetly love it!!! <3
Do you think you'll start selling bra after making yours?Because if so I'll be your first costumer :)

MermaidHyli
04-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I think I'd want to perfect it a bit more before I start selling them. I meanthey do have flaws like a real shell so they wont look absolutely perfect and right now the shell covers a size c cup boob. For more blessed customers I'd have to add a bra and I want to experiment with that. But yes I would def consider selling them eventually :)

MermaidHyli
04-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Painting done! Not to shabby for my first attempt if I do say so myself =]

MerEmma
04-06-2013, 05:04 PM
WOW! Gorgeous! Is the seastar real or fake? If it's real it can't be swum with. ):

But seriously, I LOVE THAT TOP!

Kanti
04-06-2013, 05:09 PM
So cute!
You did a great job painting it!
How did you end up thinning the paint and all that? o:

MermaidHyli
04-06-2013, 05:33 PM
....real.. uh.. V.V;
I got it from Michales the craft store..It looks pretty real but doesn't smell. What if I seal it with silicone?

And Kanti I used Xylol like we talked about, only this time I used a glass cup so no melting or burning of the hands =] worked really well when I got the ratios right.

I'm working on the netting and will finish up with the beads tonight!

MerEmma
04-06-2013, 05:47 PM
I don't know about sealing it but you could always make a mold of it and replicate it. If it's fixed properly then it won't smell. Kanti probably knows about the sealing thing. If not, you can always experiment!

Kanti
04-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Awesome to see it worked out so well! Did you put it through an airbrush btw?
But I hope it was a glass cup you didn't care for! xD

Oh yea those starfishes are lame in that sense. You could technically just make a mold of it like Emma said, but if you want you can also just coat it in resin, that sound seal it. HomeDepot sells fiberglass resin for like $12 but its an off yellow sort of color. In a thin enough coat you won't notice it. BUT michaels sells a clear resin that you can use and I think it comes in tiny bottles but it is a bit more expensive. Just a COMPLETE thin coat of resin will waterseal anything.

The resin WILL make it shiney, though. So if you want it matte you might need to repaint it

MermaidHyli
04-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Haha yes I used a mason jar. Ironically enough my fiances roommate is a bmw club race car driver and he is at the moment making fiberglass molds to lighten his car so he has tons of fiber glass and resin so that works perfectly!!

Kanti
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Oh awesome!
You don't need FIBERglass cloth just the resin is good!

MermaidHyli
04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Neat I should be finished by tonight!
One of my friends is pushing me to open an etsy store. Do you think with practice people would wabt to buy them?

Kanti
04-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Sure why not
They came out great and I've never seen a shell top that has beading like that before.
If you like doing it and wouldn't mind doing it over and over then why not? Etsy is free after all~

Mermaid Tula
04-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Technically Kanti, you have to pay a little bit to list stuff. Its free to join.

MerEmma
04-06-2013, 07:07 PM
I think the top is gorgeous and you'd do really good custom work (shells to coordinate with a tail). I really like it!

Mermaid Tula
04-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Also, if you do go the fiberglass route, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use protective equipment. Safety glasses, respirator and gloves at the least.

MermaidHyli
04-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Yeah I've never sold anything really. People want to buy my paintings but I never really thought about selling stuff. How much does it cost
Also yes safety measures have been taken this whole process I was telling Kanti that xylol is vicious and melted a plastic cup to my hand...so gloves are a must

Mermaid Tula
04-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Here's the article on Etsy about the fees https://www.etsy.com/help/article/2144

MermaidHyli
04-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Oh wow that's not bad!
I'm gonna open up an etsy account once I finish my friend's top. She's getting married and wants an all white one with satin straps, lace, and pearls. I think its going to be more of a photoshoot top versus water proof. But seeing how it is silicone I don't see why she can't use it in the water.

So if I charge $40 as a base charge for the silicone, paint job, twine straps, and two sets of two types of beads do you guys think that is a fair price? If the customer wanted extras shells, netting, different types of straps, etc I could charge more. Does that all sound fair or should I charge less?

MerEmma
04-06-2013, 09:11 PM
I was thinking I could see myself paying $50 for a top similar to the one you have created.

MermaidHyli
04-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Alright time to reveal the finished product!

And I'm already starting on my second one for my friend's bridal shoot! Woo I'm very excited with the way it turned out =] now if only the water would warm up so I could test it..

MerEmma
04-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Wow, it's gorgeous! So pretty. I love the blue and gold together and how you used fishing net for the back. c;

MermaidBrittany
04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Wow that looks amazing!! :) the beads look fintastic, are you putting the wire on them? :)

MermaidHyli
04-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Yupp again my excitement gets me into trouble because after I bought them I realized the whole was way too small to fit the twine so I had to wire them in. But I feel like they will stay in place way better

MermaidHyli
04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm almost finished with my friend's top, only took me two days and I casted the silicone even thinner so it looks a lot better. It is all white so it was hard to take pictures of on a sunny day but here it is. The beading is pearls and snowflake crystals, white ribbon, and white shells with pearl blue shadowing.

While it may be for a photoshoot I made it so she can still swim in it if she chooses.

Mermaid Tula
04-08-2013, 09:12 PM
How pretty!

MermaidHyli
04-08-2013, 11:15 PM
I opened up my etsy store!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SaltySirenSisters?ref=seller_info

Delphine
04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Actually no not at all barely anything had to be trimmed. I casted the second shell last night and these are the results from this morning.

All it needs now is some more beads, a paint job, and some decor! woo almost done!

MermaidHyli, I have to say I LOVE your scale tattoo! It's very stylized & has lovely colours. And congrats for jumping right into silicone. It's an interesting material to work with, huh?

MermaidHyli
04-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks!! Thats just the tip pf the icebirg it actually goes down most of my quad and over. :)
Ive actually work with silicone before. I've dabbled in making tails from neoprene amd silicone so I have a tiny bit of background. I saw that youre making a tail for your degree that is really awesome! I was super determined to make my own performance tail. Even got dragonskin and the scale sheet done (700 scales is a pain in the arse!) But I cpuldnt get the molding right and I dont have much space haha so I had to give up the adventure for now. Out of curiousity what did you use for making your mold?

Mermaid Kassandra
04-10-2013, 05:13 AM
It's AWESOME!!! I can't wait to have my tail and order one of your tops :D I'm really exited!!!
I only have one problem.....my cup is A :$
You're incredible!

MermaidHyli
04-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Aww thanks!
And no worries I can make one for you no problem :)

Mermaid Kassandra
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
That would be really incredible if you can :D you know I have to hide well because most of the mermaids both real and in fairytales are....how can I put it......well accessorized we can say XD , so when you don't have everything in the right place (or you don't have it at all, as in my case) you need something that helps you disguise your little lack and this top is perfect :D

MermaidHyli
04-11-2013, 10:10 AM
hahaha I totally understand!! I was very flat chested until my second year of college then BAM! ne day they just came along. And to be honest I made the bra in a way that is kind of a push up bra so it looks like there is more. ;]

Kanti
04-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Haha yea I was going to say, that shell bra must be tight because it's pushing up your breasts really well xD

MermaidHyli
04-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Just for an added affect ;) also I make the silicone alittle thicker on the edges so I wont fall out

Mermaid Kassandra
04-23-2013, 02:56 PM
That's wonderful!Well I'm having some issues with the "having my tail" process but as soons as I'll recive it I'll book my order for one of your shell bra :D can't wait :)I was wondering if you can do a silicone bra but with scales like the one that was made for Phoebe in Charmed......It would be something that Mike Van Daal doesn't do and something that only you do; I think that it would came out magnificent seen what you can do with shells :)

MermaidHyli
04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
That's wonderful!Well I'm having some issues with the "having my tail" process but as soons as I'll recive it I'll book my order for one of your shell bra :D can't wait :)I was wondering if you can do a silicone bra but with scales like the one that was made for Phoebe in Charmed......It would be something that Mike Van Daal doesn't do and something that only you do; I think that it would came out magnificent seen what you can do with shells :)

Youll have to forgive me but I've never watched charmed :/ do you have a picture so that I can get an idea?

MermaidHyli
04-24-2013, 06:17 PM
I googled it and I'm a little at a loss of how to make that haha I think they are more like pasties. I did make a scale mold to try it out and see what I can do though =]

Mermaid Kassandra
04-25-2013, 06:02 AM
:D I'm so excited to see what comes out :)

MermaidSarah
04-26-2013, 10:07 PM
The idea of a mold is something I should do when I go to make a top.But I would do it differently has far as design.I would do a lily pad top.I would create like a Japanese koi fish pond mermaid look but that's just me ^_^ But I love the the scallop shell top and the gold.At first, I never really liked the color gold but i'm growing fond of it being a mermaid.

MermaidHyli
04-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Oh my goodness! Please do that it would be gorgeous!! And really such a cool idea. I know I've seen a lily pad top on here before but I can't remember who :/ and as far as gold goes I'm totally with you. I am an all silver kinda girl(even though gold looks good on a redhead) but yeah I lile the combination of blue and gold other than that I'm still getting into gold slowly haha

MermaidHyli
04-29-2013, 11:23 AM
I did the scales and they look really awesome yet I have no idea how to actually attach them to one's chest. So that may be on hold for awhile...On a new note my mold doesn't hold up any more so a friend of mine that makes fiberglass race car parts agreed to help me make a new mold. and thus I am introduced into the world of fiberglass. It was a lot of fun but really toxic so precautions must be taken if you ever want to do this. Here is the picture of what it looks like now. I'll be post some pictures when we break open the mold =]

Mermaid Dottie
04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
The idea of a mold is something I should do when I go to make a top.But I would do it differently has far as design.I would do a lily pad top.I would create like a Japanese koi fish pond mermaid look but that's just me ^_^ But I love the the scallop shell top and the gold.At first, I never really liked the color gold but i'm growing fond of it being a mermaid.
Here's some inspiration for you, dear! I posted more about it in Malaina's Thread (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?4526-Top-for-a-fresh-water-mermaid/page2).

Mermaid Kassandra
05-02-2013, 07:48 AM
MermaidHyli there are many tipes of glue that can attach the top to the chest.I remember that not too long ago Wingéd Mermaid Iona told me that Pros-Aid is a very realible glue waterprof so you can use that one :)

MermaidHyli
06-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Grr I have another top to show but I cannot upload it with my phone and I don't have internet quite yet (just moved) next time I go somewhere with wireless Iwill be sure to upload a picture! :)

MermaidHyli
06-02-2013, 09:04 PM

Finally got to wireless!

Mermaid Tula
06-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Looks great!

Mermaid Kassandra
06-03-2013, 04:01 AM
I love the details you put into it!I think that this new top you made is even better than Mike's.I can't wait to have my tail in order to buy one of your tops!

MermaidHyli
06-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Wow that is quite the compliment! Id like to move my painting skills up to an airbrush and go from there :)

Mermaid Kassandra
06-03-2013, 08:56 AM
I think your tops are a piece of art even if you don't use airbrush :) but I bet your creations will be more amazing than his, after all you're a mermaid who better than you can know and make something that a mer needs? ;)

MermaidHyli
06-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Valid point :) theres a lot I'm working on because I want to make things that people havent seen before or a different style

seagirls626
06-03-2013, 01:52 PM
That looks great!! I can't wait to sea the fin-ished top! (I love the Ingo books!)

Ariel-Starfish
06-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Let me know when u take orders, i want one !
<3

MermaidHyli
06-03-2013, 03:46 PM
:)! Ill be taking orders as soon as I get back around the first week of July <3

Mermaid Kassandra
06-04-2013, 11:31 AM
MermaidHyli
Valid point :) theres a lot I'm working on because I want to make things that people havent seen before or a different style

And this is what I really like about your work!Even if Mike makes tops with airbrush I like yours more because they're different and original, that makes me sure that if I order one of your tops I'll never see a top like mine on another mermaid because every top you make is different one by another :) instead Mike's tops changes only in colours and for me this isn't a variation worthy of note.