PDA

View Full Version : Realistic tail making but not ALEX?

Avi_lori
08-21-2011, 01:59 AM
So I have been trolling everything about tails, tail makers and making a tail yourself.
I would order one but I wanna try my luck in making one myself since I love DIY.

So I would like to make a realistic one and Ive seen a tutorial on dA about using ALEX Plus I believe, but upon reading these boards it seems its unsafe to use for human skin?

So just wondering, how unsafe is it? Cause its a method still being used, and I'm still looking for a great photo of a realistic tail made from ALEX and a video of it use.

And what alternative can I use besides ALEX?
This is be an expensive project I know, I will out money that I don't have just to do it T_T
And plus I live in the best place to use this tail, The Caribbean! Plus the beach is like a 20min-30min walk from my house.
Beach and sun all year round!

But there is a limited supply of items I can get, especially all the high end silicone and latex. Its just not stocked here.
And shipping in will be a big no-no as they charge 3 times you paid for items.

So I'm really leaning towards the ALEX Plus, since it is available here.

But please some help?
And give me links to any other realistic tail tutorials, pics and videos! ^_^
This place is big and I'm getting slightly lost xD

Taylor is a Mermaid
08-21-2011, 05:02 AM
Another thing people use to make realistic tails is Dragon Skin, but from what I understand it is very expensive. I've never made a realistic tail, so I can't help you too much on that part, but I CAN show you pics and videos of tails made with ALEX.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MerBellas?feature=chclk#p/u/8/TJZvtwf9EZA Feast your eyes on some of the most gorgeous ALEX tails out there. :D I'm almost positive all the tails in these videos are ALEX, and I know for sure that the orange and black tail is ALEX.

Avi_lori
08-21-2011, 01:26 PM
OMG SO PRETTY! *__________*

I also wondering, if ALEX is so bad, has any one here had big skin issues with it?
And isnt a type of fabric used to be the barrier between skin and ALEX?

AniaR
08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
there isn't any info 100% on Alex, because it was never tested on skin, because it's not meant for skin. lol. But Raven of Merbellas does amazing stuff with it if you check out her page... she has some photos posted here

Mermaid Jewel
08-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Here's the guides posted on here http://mernetwork.com/index/content.php?119-making-tails

I'm leaning towards using it too but not sure yet. I'm not working with it yet though :/

Winged Mermaid
08-21-2011, 08:34 PM
You can make realistic tails with actual quality latex. Molding latex is watery, simply add a latex thickener. You can also buy latex pre thickened- just make sure to buy from a reputable seller, as some people will water it down to save money. If you buy the right kind, it will be skin safe and will last SO much longer! Neotail make his tails out of latex, not ALEX. You MAY be able to find what you need at a hobby shop, but I'm not sure. Raven said her ALEX tail is degrading already, and she does not encourage others to use it.

Mermaid Star
08-22-2011, 03:40 AM
If you use Alex Plus, I know my first tail will be made out of it since I have it already sitting in my room waiting, it is highly recommended that you use neoprene as a liner/barrier and cover the Alex in a layer of silicone to help protect it.

Avi_lori
08-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Awesome, I will look for Neoprene. I think I saw that before in a tutorial.

What kind of latex should I use?
And any brands too?

And has anyone tried like gluing realistic scales to the neoprene or any sort of fabirc?
And what glue can work under salt water and pools? Since I figured that is where I will be since I live on an island XD

Plus there is no one that I know here that is interesting or becoming a mermaid here, and since its a tourist based island, this could be a side job for me :D

Mermaid Jewel
08-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Well Hannah Mermaid's tails are covered in sequins, but they're sewn. If there's a way to sew them on, that'd probably be best.

taom
08-26-2011, 02:06 AM
I made my tail by cutting out each scale from fabric, glueing then down to a base tail and then covering the whole thing in plenty of caulk (not ALEX but a different, cheaper brand). I also had a thought. You say shipping is crazy expensive to where you live. Would it be possible for one of us mers to buy the materials for you and ship them to you? Because the USPS has this flat rate shipping thing to anywhere, basically, it would be much much cheaper that way. What do you think?

Winged Mermaid
08-26-2011, 02:54 AM
For actual latex, use slip casting latex or mask making latex. Slip casting latex is what Raven uses for her tails. She did make one out of ALEX for her tutorial (now removed), but as I said, it is falling apart and Raven discourages using ALEX for tails for inferior quality resulting in short tail life span if nothing else. You can usually find latex thickener where slip casting latex is sold. Some costume shops, art shops, or hobby shops sell this kind of latex.

Also just to clear something up, I know someone mentioned dragon skin, but silicone will not adhere to neoprene. You have to buy specialized glue to adhere it to neoprene.

As for gluing things to neoprene, there is special glue made for adhering neoprene. I suggest that whatever you would like to do for your tail you make a test patch and see how your materials hold up. Swatch tests are very imporant when trying out new things on materials to make sure they will hold up in the finished product.

Syrenia
09-09-2011, 10:04 PM
I used siliconized acrylic caulk, and it worked just like ALEX. It moves so easily and was really easy to paint. Maybe you could try that?

Aquatica
09-18-2011, 03:30 PM
How is it coming along?

I am going to try my hand at making one following the tutorial using
neoprene and latex.

http://mernetwork.com/index/content.php?135-Tutorials-and-How-to-Guides

Alex is a type of latex..or a place that makes it?

any good links to buy some latex that will not break down...how much would one need to buy for a tail?

just make sure to buy from a reputable seller, as some people will water it down to save money. If you buy the right kind, it will be skin safe and will last SO much longer! Neotail make his tails out of latex, not ALEX. You MAY be able to find what you need at a hobby shop, but I'm not sure. Raven said her ALEX tail is degrading already, and she does not encourage others to use it.

For actual latex, use slip casting latex or mask making latex. Slip casting latex is what Raven uses for her tails. She did make one out of ALEX for her tutorial (now removed), but as I said, it is falling apart and Raven discourages using ALEX for tails for inferior quality resulting in short tail life span if nothing else. You can usually find latex thickener where slip casting latex is sold. Some costume shops, art shops, or hobby shops sell this kind of latex.

Also just to clear something up, I know someone mentioned dragon skin, but silicone will not adhere to neoprene. You have to buy specialized glue to adhere it to neoprene.

As for gluing things to neoprene, there is special glue made for adhering neoprene. I suggest that whatever you would like to do for your tail you make a test patch and see how your materials hold up. Swatch tests are very imporant when trying out new things on materials to make sure they will hold up in the finished product.

Winged Mermaid
09-18-2011, 04:37 PM
How is it coming along?

I am going to try my hand at making one following the tutorial using
neoprene and latex.

http://mernetwork.com/index/content.php?135-Tutorials-and-How-to-Guides

Alex is a type of latex..or a place that makes it?

any good links to buy some latex that will not break down...how much would one need to buy for a tail?

ALEX is a type of latex, yes. It's what you call tin cure latex. It's meant for making materials for construction, decorations, ect. However it is not skin safe and breaks down much faster as it is a low quality material. ALEX specifically is a tin cure latex concoction used for caulking (sealing sinks, showers, vents, ect).

There are many sites you can order slip cast latex from, and in my experience you can find them in some art supply stores (usually independent stores, not chains- the one I went to made Michaels look like a lemonade stand) or hobby shops. A good site I found was BurnMan Industries (http://www.burmanfoam.com/estore/home.php?cat=99). I've also seen it on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Liquid-Latex-Masks-Prosthetics/dp/B000V8112M). Of course ordering gallons of latex online is going to make for expensive shipping costs. The best thing you can do is either find a supplier close to you to lessen those, or find a local supplier or someone who can special order it for you.

A case of ALEX hoods 121.2 oz of material. It's been estimated that 2-3 cases are needed for a basic tail (correct me if I'm wrong). There's 128 oz in a gallon, so you'd need about the same number of gallons of latex.

Keep in mind if you want to make a tail this winter, you need to be ordering BEFORE temperatures drop near or below freezing. Not only for your area, but in the area of the supplier and in it's shipping path. If latex freezes, it becomes useless permanently. There are sites that sell latex that have a disclaimer that if you order it in certian months you will have to get over night shipping, and even so the latex still may freeze, and they are not responsible for latex made useless by this temperature issue.

Keep in mind all latex will eventually break down- it's just the way latex is. That one reason silicone is such a popular option. Several factors, UV rays being a big one, on using latex on tails makes the latex break down faster than if it was, say, a mask. However the quality determines the life span. ALEX it may be a matter of months, with proper latex it will be a matter of years before it starts breaking down.

Aquatica
09-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Would like to try my hand at silicone but have no idea really how to use it. I looked for videos on it and they are all making molds and stuff.
I may be wrong but from what I can see you would have to do a life cast, then shape a mold from it and go from there.
Or is there an easier way to do it.
Know of any good tutorials for using silicone in a way that we would for make a tail?
Sorry if I have taken over the thread for a weeee little bit.

Winged Mermaid
09-20-2011, 04:07 AM
Would like to try my hand at silicone but have no idea really how to use it. I looked for videos on it and they are all making molds and stuff.
I may be wrong but from what I can see you would have to do a life cast, then shape a mold from it and go from there.
Or is there an easier way to do it.
Know of any good tutorials for using silicone in a way that we would for make a tail?
Sorry if I have taken over the thread for a weeee little bit.

Life casting can be a very dangerous thing if you don't know what you're doing- as in in the hospital with 3rd degree burns dangerous.

The only tutorial so far is the one in progress by Andrew (now Dr. SeaWeed)- you can find that thread HERE (http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?405-Andrew-s-Tail-Making-Journey). I've posted the general information that tail makers use (Mertailor, Mike Van Daal, Merbellas) a few times, so I went ahead and put it on the Materials and Supplies Page (http://mernetwork.com/index/content.php?139-Materials-and-Supplies).

"The best way to go about using molds to make a mermaid tail is to make multiple molds for different pieces and then once the pieces are cast, piece them together into a whole unit.

A mold to make sheets of scales is used- each scale must be the same as the others. The reason for this is that once the sheet of scales is made from it's chosen material (latex or silicone) it is formed into the shape needed to make the upper body of the tail. The scales should fit together like puzzle pieces for a less obvious seam. Then the scales are sealed together with additional material (latex or silicone).

Things such as flukes and additional fins are cast from molds twice (for front and back) and adhered together with additional material (with monofin inside), and then adhered to other parts in the same fashion (such as attaching body of scales to fluke). Most commercial tail makers who use molds construct their tails in this fashion. (Including the Mertailor, Mike Van Daal, Merbellas, ect.). Using one big sheet of scales will mean only one seam, while two will obviously mean two seams.

You may not have to sculpt everything from clay for a mold. Think outside the box! Use other things for negatives for a mold. People have used pumpkin or other kinds of seeds for scales, among other things. Mike Van Daal's flukes' molds were made from over 200 1/4'' vinyl tubes, cut and super glued together."

Here is an album with a few pictures and captions that may help illustrate some visual points for you.

(http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/winged_mermaid/Making Mermaid Tails/)

Mermaid Shelly
11-29-2011, 05:32 PM
I have been doing a bit of research and have found Alex to be too dangerous to use anymore. It is really scary stuff for something so seemingly harmless: http://mermaidshelly.blogspot.com/2011/11/environmental-and-safety-considerations.html

I have since switched to GE silicone I since it gives off acetic acid (vinegar) as the organic solvent rather than formaldehyde. The trick is, it is not paintable at all :( So you either have to paint under it like I do and then put the silicone on last, or add pigments to it instead of painting entirely. It is tricky stuff to work with and stinky as all get out, but much, much safer during the curing process.

Mermaid Sirena
11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
I think I found something that will work for making tails is not harmful to either mers OR the environment is completely biodegradable. I will be writing a topic about in a little bit.