PDA

View Full Version : New member from Blackpool, UK!

Mermaid Lilium
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Hey I finally got around to joining after being a lurker for a while ;P

I'm from Lincolnshire, UK but have lived in the north-west of England for like 7 years - Blackpool is a seaside town but I'm not sure about swimming in the sea here 1) it's cold as all hell 2) there's a nuclear power plant just up the coast

I've always loved swimming because my weight never held me back doing it (I've always been big) and I was always a Disney kid.... Ariel wasn't my favourite Disney character but she still amazed me because here was this redhead who never got bullied for her hair colour (used to get bullied for being a redhead when I was younger - a common thing in the UK sadly).

I've never really focused particularly on mermaids and mermen but I've always been a daydreamer with my mind usually lost in a fantasy world... which is something I bring to life in my photography (links are on my profile). I shoot mainly fashion and art photos. Currently working on my BA hons Degree in Photography here in Blackpool.

I'm married to a lovely Pennsylvanian guy so I spend a lot of my holidays in the Lebanon area.

Other interests are... victorian fashion, 20s culture (inc steampunk and dieselpunk), Gothic-Couture fashion, animals, fantasy/fairytale/ international folklore, dressmaking and prop making, art, books, music, baking especially cupcakes!

uhhh... not sure what else to say...

oh yeah, I'm buying a monofin to start learning in a few weeks and then depending on how that goes, looking at making my own neoprene/spandex tail.

feel free to ask any questions if you want to know anything else 0.o'

Ashe
04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Welcome to Mernetwork! :D Enjoy your stay with us :)

Kanti
04-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Hey Kat! Welcome to the forums! :'D
What sort of monofin are you going to get? And I assume you'll be swimming in pools then? xD You should make sure they're okay with monofins first because I hear that's a problem sometimes!

Mermaid Lilium
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
The one I've picked out after much deliberation isss... *drumroll* http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/so-dive-hydra-clear-flow/31962/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=168442 This one! I researched a LOT and the finis ones within my price range just didn't appeal to me that much. The shape of this seems a lot nicer for me and the foot holes don't look too uncomfortable - though I'm definitely buying neoprene socks because I blister ridiculously easy (must have soft skin)

Have you or anyone you know heard much about the so-dive fins? And yeah I'm actually joining a gym around the same time as buying my fin so I'm going to talk them into letting me practice in their pool (well it is a fitness tool! hehe) and if that fails, there's an indoor waterpark in town (sandcastle waterpark) which has a nice deep wave pool and then shallower kids areas (that are aaaaalways full) so that might be an option. Other than that this town is full of hotels - I'm sure one of them would love a practicing mermaid in their pool! haha