http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R3Tsgrgdv8

Let me know if you have any questions!

Kanti
04-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Awesome!
Watching it right now :'D

Kanti
04-06-2013, 05:51 PM
That was a great video Moonflower! Very simple and informative.
I also liked how you REALLY went into the materials. I always forget to do that xD

Moonflower
04-06-2013, 05:57 PM
I guess I worry that I might not be doing enough, or that someone watching has never been in a hardware store before... But, I also know what it's like to go into a hardware store and try to explain what it is I need, because I always get the "What are you making?" question, and then the blank stare when I say "a mermaid tail". No one knows how to react to that, really. Plus, they NEVER know what I'm talking about when I go in there, even if I bring an example. Right before I filmed the bit in the drawer, I had two Hardware employees tell me they don't carry those (I brought in an example), and that everything in the drawers was metal... Even when I found it myself, and said "Yeah, this is it right here." they said "oh, well, we don't carry those." Basically, Home Depot does NOT like women shoppers IME...

Kanti
04-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Urg xD yea I get you
Home improvement stores are sort of sexist. I guess I'm the opposite. I basically live in hardware stores so I never really need help except for when I need to know what aisle something in is. But yea everyone ALWAYS assumes that just cause Im a girl that I must need help with something and that I'm too dumb to do it myself. Also that I must need help carrying everything -__- Once I came in KNOWING what I needed and it was cutting something with a saw so I had no problem telling, yet the guy kept trying to suggest different saws other than the one I asked for, and its just like JESUS stop trying to take over my project and assume you know more than me. If it was good advice, whatever but it was bad advice that I had already thought about and decided against. So I sit there for hours explaining myself saying "nooo I already though about that before". Hah sorry quite a rant but I think I SOMEWHAT get your frustration xD

HAHA and I NEVER answer the "what are you making?" thing truthfully xDD I'm always like "oh nothing, I just need to attach A to B, so what can I get?".

Mermaid Lilium
04-06-2013, 06:59 PM
I think I'll check out B&Q here in the UK as I thiiink they might be the same company from some of the branding I've seen. I think I understand the sort of material I'm looking for now with the pvc sheeting - and even if they don't have that exact material I may well be able to find something else suitable if I nosey around for a while - Main reason I think they might not have it is because generally the houses in the UK are brick-built and plastered with plaster mix, rather than a wood construction using plaster board etc.

and yep, they're usually completely useless in the stores even when I've gone in and said 'hey I'm trying to build these shelves in the alcove in my room...' even over here!

Thanks for posting the videos Moonflower! So useful! Waiting for the 2nd part to be done now :D

Moonflower
04-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Urg xD yea I get you
Home improvement stores are sort of sexist. I guess I'm the opposite. I basically live in hardware stores so I never really need help except for when I need to know what aisle something in is. But yea everyone ALWAYS assumes that just cause Im a girl that I must need help with something and that I'm too dumb to do it myself. Also that I must need help carrying everything -__- Once I came in KNOWING what I needed and it was cutting something with a saw so I had no problem telling, yet the guy kept trying to suggest different saws other than the one I asked for, and its just like JESUS stop trying to take over my project and assume you know more than me. If it was good advice, whatever but it was bad advice that I had already thought about and decided against. So I sit there for hours explaining myself saying "nooo I already though about that before". Hah sorry quite a rant but I think I SOMEWHAT get your frustration xD

HAHA and I NEVER answer the "what are you making?" thing truthfully xDD I'm always like "oh nothing, I just need to attach A to B, so what can I get?".

I'm lucky to have grown up in a very crafty family. Both my parents love to make things, and both very different things, so I had that exposure from a young age. Sometimes, it's so second nature to me, I forget people don't know what I'm talking about... Plus, even as a seamstress, I forget (or just plain don't know) the terms or names of things, so I have to describe it... that's when I usually get the "we don't have that" lines... And, when I usually find it on my own, show it to them and have them give me the stink eye LOL
I will say, Lowes is usually a bit more female-friendly when it comes to shopping, but I have a Home Depot 2 lights from me, so it's just more convenient.

Part 2 is about halfway uploaded now ^_^

Moonflower
04-06-2013, 07:18 PM
I think I'll check out B&Q here in the UK as I thiiink they might be the same company from some of the branding I've seen. I think I understand the sort of material I'm looking for now with the pvc sheeting - and even if they don't have that exact material I may well be able to find something else suitable if I nosey around for a while - Main reason I think they might not have it is because generally the houses in the UK are brick-built and plastered with plaster mix, rather than a wood construction using plaster board etc.

and yep, they're usually completely useless in the stores even when I've gone in and said 'hey I'm trying to build these shelves in the alcove in my room...' even over here!

Thanks for posting the videos Moonflower! So useful! Waiting for the 2nd part to be done now :D

I hope the video has enough information for you to find something over there! ^_^

Moonflower
04-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Part 2! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R3Tsgrgdv8

Winged Mermaid
04-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Awesome tutorial! :highfive: I'll be adding it to some reference threads :)

Marilla
04-10-2013, 01:14 AM
Great work! I really loved the tutorial and can't thank you enough. What a great community exists here! I really thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing these tricks of the trade. I can't wait to make my first tail now, even though a month ago it seemed daunting. :)

xoxo ~ Mermaid Marilla

Taniira
04-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Any word on how the neoprene washers hold up?

Taniira
04-30-2013, 07:25 PM
I just got back from Home Depot and can offer the following tips: No one has ANY idea what "poly wall paneling" is. Just tell them you need wall paneling that's waterproof if you have to ask someone like I did (I apparently walked right past it twice). It's apparently also called FRP -- fiberglass reinforced paneling (or something like that). I went to both Lowe's and Home Depot and they both only had the $32 option, which I'm guessing is just thicker, because it's definitely not as bendy as the video shows and is really hard to cut with scissors. (Note: if you're really nice and smile a lot and mention that your friend got it for only $20 where she lives, the cashier might be nice and sell it to you for $20). There wasn't even a slot for the $19.xx one Moonflower shows in part 1 in either store I went to.

I was just going to try the Gorilla tape route, but now that I've discovered I have thicker paneling I might have to resort to the bolting method. We'll see.

Moonflower
04-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Any word on how the neoprene washers hold up?

We did a quick test run a few weeks back, but I think she had 5 minutes total in 2 feet of water, so it wasn't a real test. We're going again on the 19th to test it again.

I'm so sorry they didn't have the kind I used! I think I know what kind you're talking about, and it's MUCH sturdier than the stuff I've been using. Please let me know how it works for you, as I don't recommend it because of it's thickness in comparison to the Rapid's thickness...

This is the stuff I've been using. It's from Home Depot, and is called "White Polywall Panel":
http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-8-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190?keyword=polywall+panel#.UYBV4XAsqa4
PRODUCT DESCRIPTIONThe 1/8 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Plastic Panel features a cracked ice surface texture. This panel is resistant to rot for durability.

Plastic material
White color
Resists rot and moisture
Cracked ice surface texture
32 sq. ft. coverage area
MFG Model # : 63003
MFG Part # : 688840

It does say "In Store Only", but perhaps if you call with this information before you go, they can confirm if they carry it or not? They may be able to ship some to their store if they don't.

Taniira
04-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Mine says 4 x 8 x .090 on the sticker, I think it's this but the SKU doesn't match: http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836#.UYBkSaJth8E

I checked both of the stores close to me via the link and neither one carries what you bought. It said "White Polywall Panel" on the price sticker underneath "Wall Panelling" just like it does in your video, it just seems like the ones near me only carry the ones that were directly underneath the one that you buy -- I saw it briefly in your video.

After looking at the specs, the one I bought is about .03" thicker than what you bought. It's still kind of flexible, just not as much as yours seems to be. I'm definitely only going to use 1 layer of the kind I bought, though.

I'm going to give it a go anyway since I got $12 off. I'm sure I can find another use for it eventually if it doesn't work -- maybe even just making my own monofin!

Moonflower
05-01-2013, 12:25 AM
Awesome, good luck! Let me know how it turns out, and how it swims! I'm always interested to see new materials in use ^_^

Taniira
05-01-2013, 07:13 AM
I think I'm going to rough it up and E6000 the sheeting to it as well as Gorilla tape. I know E6000 won't hold on it's own, but I'm thinking just as extra adhesive.

This morning, I found that I cannot cut the stuff I have with scissors or a box cutter/razor blade. I've got my Dremel charging for when I get back from work. Good thing I picked up safety glasses and a couple of dust masks while I was out!

Mermaid Elena
05-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Does the wall paneling give you any extra propulsion or at least not create any drag?

Moonflower
05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Does the wall paneling give you any extra propulsion or at least not create any drag?

It does not create drag AFAIK. I did it for my friend, Mermaid Fawkes, and she said it helped her move faster and felt a lot better in the water. Here's some clips of her using it:
Test run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQU0RSzIGBk&list=UUNZZ03OWB7FZjb5dDaoZY9w&index=12

Underwater (after being painted): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23NFoBcG9g&list=UUNZZ03OWB7FZjb5dDaoZY9w&index=9 (Merman Jesse joins her at the end ^_^)

Hers was done with 1 sheet of PVC, unlike the video where I used two.

Aziara
05-02-2013, 07:39 PM
I've been looking online, and Home Depot has a better price on the pvc sheet. Lowes charges $10 more for the same 'plastic panel'.
Oh my, Moonflower, I love the way the fin looks in that video you just posted. Very good flow on the ends, but still stiff enough for good propulsion. I'm convinced. I'm going to alter a Rapid for my own tail when I make it.

telzey.amberdon
05-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Frp cuts with metal cutting snips or hacksaw blades.

Mermaid Nerinae
05-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Moonflower, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for, trying to think of how to modify my Rapid monofin in order to be the right shape! Perfecto! I'm going with neoprene, as well, so this is just... UGH

Fits like a glove.
I'm excited to get moving, now!

Taniira
05-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the tip, telzey.

I managed to get my extension all cut out with a Dremel using a metal cutting wheel. I started it Wed but had to finish yesterday because the battery in my Dremel died. I couldn't find my E6000 last night so it's off to the craft store after work. I'm hoping to get it all finished by tomorrow at the latest, and then I just have to find a friend who's pool is open to go test it. Even though my complex opened theirs in April last year, they're not opening it til May 24th this year :(

Moonflower
05-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the tip, telzey.

I managed to get my extension all cut out with a Dremel using a metal cutting wheel. I started it Wed but had to finish yesterday because the battery in my Dremel died. I couldn't find my E6000 last night so it's off to the craft store after work. I'm hoping to get it all finished by tomorrow at the latest, and then I just have to find a friend who's pool is open to go test it. Even though my complex opened theirs in April last year, they're not opening it til May 24th this year :(

If you want to save a dollar or two, the Plumber's Goop from Home Depot (which comes in giant tubes) is the same stuff as E6000 (same manufacturer, different name). ^_^

Taniira
05-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Ooh! Thanks! I'll go there instead :D

Mermaid Lilium
05-03-2013, 03:18 PM
btw for future reference I just spent ALLL afternoon trying to hunt down info on the sheeting, specifically to find it in the UK

http://www.glasteel.com/glasliner.html This the stuff? :D It seems like it's the same stuff but I would have to order direct from them. Least I could order different thicknesses XD

It's not stocked in any diy stores here. The only stuff I can find over here in stores is polystyrene/acrylic sheeting similar to lexan (but I have no idea if it's non-snapping) the main stores in the uk are http://www.wickes.co.uk or (B&Q) http://www.diy.com

Taniira
06-09-2013, 11:29 AM
I never put up finished results! The FRP works great. I didn't want to drill into mine, so I E6000ed it to the top of my monofin and then Gorilla taped the heck out of it. I covered the entire thing because I wanted it to look nicer, but I don't think it was really necessary. It's huge -- it won't fit in my trunk (granted I just drive a 2-door hatchback coupe). I've used it 4 or 5 times and it's still holding up. My pool is finally set to open this week so I'll be able to see how long it really does hold!

Mermaid Nerinae
06-10-2013, 09:42 AM
I never put up finished results! The FRP works great. I didn't want to drill into mine, so I E6000ed it to the top of my monofin and then Gorilla taped the heck out of it. I covered the entire thing because I wanted it to look nicer, but I don't think it was really necessary. It's huge -- it won't fit in my trunk (granted I just drive a 2-door hatchback coupe). I've used it 4 or 5 times and it's still holding up. My pool is finally set to open this week so I'll be able to see how long it really does hold!

Wow that's big! Looks great, too! Be sure to post pics of the final tail when it's all done. That's an awesome fluke shape. :>

Arie
06-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Some how I missed this thread! Oh my! Sorry Moon for bugging you on fb and YouTube! It seems where I am in Canada they only have the expensive stuff too! As well as some clear stuff that I don't think is the same thing.
I love the gorilla tape idea, never even thought of it first! And it doesn't cause drag at all? Perhaps I will spot glue and tape to stop any drag.
Will this work the same on a finis wave? Unfortunate my feet are too small for the rapid! Haha

Taniira
06-12-2013, 08:45 PM
I can't see any reason it wouldn't work the same on a Finis Wave.

It's harder to swim in in shallower water because it's a wider range of motion since it's bigger, but I really don't have enough experience with monofins to know how much it hindered. I didn't have a chance to swim in mine before I extended it, but I would guess it's a slower and slightly more exaggerated movement.

It definitely got a little bit of water under the tape because when I submerge it there's a few air bubbles that come out, but nothing bad or noticeable beyond the bubbles.

Mermaid Danielle
06-12-2013, 08:50 PM
The extension looks great! Nice job!

Mermaid Tula
06-12-2013, 09:09 PM
I did something similar with my Finis Wave. I didn't use the sheeting, but instead used several half inch wide super long (can't remember how long. like 18-20 inches) zip ties, laid down a layer of tape, then on the other side, did the same after adding some hot glue in places to strengthen it.

Yours looks great! ^__^

Arie
06-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Any tips on what's the best way to get the panel home? It seems bigger then a car, can it be rolled?(bad idea?) or is there a better technique?

seems to be my main problem of not knowing how to get it home

Nahla
07-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Thank you for this! LOVED the videos!

Mermaid Clara
04-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Moonflower, you are a genius! thank you so much for this tutorial. my home depot doesn't have the nylon post and screws but I've got brass nuts, bolts, and washers which my dad said they won't rust.
I've cut out my extension shapes and did exactly what you did in your videos, all I have left is to let my drill battery charge so i can drill my holes into my fin and the poly-wall a put everything together
again thank you for your videos!!!

Mermaid Jaffa
04-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Here it is... I was looking for this video the other day. Couldn't remember if I saw it here or youtube first!

I don't have gorilla tape here in Australia, is there another way to put the monofin and the fluke together without drilling anything?

Mermaid Gosalyn
05-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Okay, so I've had my monofin modified this way for several months, and so far have gotten three holes in my neoprene tail where the posts are. Next time I'm going to try to avoid using the posts, I think with some E6000 and being in my tail it should be fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas to fix it for now? The posts are glued to the washers, so I'm not sure I can get them out of there. I can't really afford to just throw this monofin out.

Mermaid Wesley
05-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Maybe coat the posts in a thick layer of E6000 to dull them at least?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Gosalyn
05-28-2014, 03:48 PM
They are coated in E6000, but I suppose I could try adding more.

Mermaid Lilium
05-31-2014, 06:33 AM
They are coated in E6000, but I suppose I could try adding more.

do you have any little scraps of neoprene that you could glue over the posts using the e6000? just to act as a buffer/padding? =)

Mermaid Gosalyn
06-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Sorry for the late reply. I do not currently have any extra neoprene, but when I get some I will try that.

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
08-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Question, will this method (e6000 and gorilla tape) also work for the Finis Foil?

Mermaid Zipora
08-21-2014, 06:47 AM
I just did a gorilla tape fluke and had to remove all the tape after my swim test. Even though I taped it really good, water still got inside adding weight. Over time the tape will probably peel off. I don't recommend the tape method for any swimmable fin.

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
08-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Thank you. Then I'll try the original method. =)

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-21-2014, 05:40 PM
I have the foil and it's modified with this method. I recommend leaving out the screws though.

Mermaid Crystal Shimmer
08-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Only glueing it down with e6000? Will that hold?

Mermaid Julianne
08-21-2014, 07:55 PM
I have the foil and it's modified with this method. I recommend leaving out the screws though.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your monofin? I have a foil and would like to use this method to extend it, but I honestly can't picture the extension in my head.

Mermaid Wesley
08-21-2014, 08:05 PM
I have a gorilla tape extension and yeah water gets in, but it doesn't peel, it's been nearly a year now. It's not a perfect method but I still swear by it. As far as making it heavy idk why that happened. Maybe it was just the drag of your fin. Floppier fins are "heavier" in the water no matter what they're made of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usagi
03-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Does anyone know if this will work in a silicone tail?

Ashton
03-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know if this will work in a silicone tail?
I have done it, it works with a silicone tail, but the silicone does not stick to the poly vinyl sheeting. What I decided to do was drill holes in only the tips of the fluke (only 1 per side) and then glue the silicone to itself through those holes.

theMerFanc
08-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Uhm. Oh my gods. This is. This. Yes. Thank you.

My only question: can I purchase the PVC sheets in smaller quantities from anywhere? I live in a tiny apartment and honestly probably don't have space to be making or storing a tail to begin with, let alone and excess of material.

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Uhm. Oh my gods. This is. This. Yes. Thank you.

My only question: can I purchase the PVC sheets in smaller quantities from anywhere? I live in a tiny apartment and honestly probably don't have space to be making or storing a tail to begin with, let alone and excess of material.

You could try asking the Lowe's/Home Depot it they'll let you, but they don't sell it in smaller sheets. It does roll up though, mine is rolled up to about 2x2 feet right now for storage.

Playing Koi
08-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Hey Moonflower, do you know if this would work with Lexan? And would you still need to sandwich the monofin? I'm not sure if only one layer would be okay or if that could break my fin D:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mermaid Gosalyn
08-27-2016, 11:12 PM
Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your monofin? I have a foil and would like to use this method to extend it, but I honestly can't picture the extension in my head.

I just saw this, I'm sorry! Unfortunately the fin is very stuck in my tail, and sewn in as well. I can try to take some pictures of it inside the tail to give you an idea of what it looks like though!

Mermaid Gosalyn
09-04-2016, 11:38 PM
Sorry for double posting. I am not able to get clear pictures of the modified monofin, I'm sorry. I'm in the middle of moving (and leaving it behind for now), or I'd be able to help better.