PDA

View Full Version : First tail for a new mer! Suggestions?

Talise
04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm 100% new to the world of mermaiding, and while I'm proficient at doing the dolphin/mermaid kick, I've never actually done it while in a tail. I know that silicone tails can be pretty heavy and can take some getting used to for new mers, and I want to know that I can handle it, get used to swimming with my feet together in a monofin, etc.

So what kind of tail would one suggest for a new mer? Should I go with a fabric tail to start with a basic monofin?? Or should I just jump in with both feet (so to speak) and get a high quality tail right off the bat so I get used to it right away?

Any insight/personal experiences, etc, would be very helpful! :)

Mermaid Harmony
04-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Do you currently have a monofin? I don't know if you know this or not, but there is a Mahina mermaid in Australia who makes monofins, just for future reference so people don't accidentally message her when trying to message you.
If you have a monofin right now, I'd say practice up the wall. I had my monofin for 5 months before I got a tail, and so when the time came to be in my tail, it was no big deal, (however my practice monofin is a rapid, and my tail is an oceanika, so the power difference was unfortunate, but it's what you get)
Also, how old are you, because that makes a difference. If your under 17 I'd say get a fabric one, because your body is still changing, and you'll grow out of a silicone one in no time, however if your over 18, get a partial or full silicone tail. Latex tails have been getting a bad rap lately, and although they'll do you fine, you have to be much more delicate with them, and a partial/full silicone tail will last you longer, be more durable, is able to take more of a beating, and in my personal opinion is a better tail for your money all together. Fish Butts is currently having a full silicone tail sale till the 15th, for $500, Merbella's sells her Basic tail for $1,000, and I can't remember what the mertailor's baseline cost for silicone is. Each has their pros and cons, read the review section first before deciding on a tail maker. :-)

Talise
04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the response, Harmony. :) I found that there was a Mahina out there after I made my account and I'm waiting for my username to be changed to Talise.

I do not have a monofin at the moment, but I have been sitting on the idea; I just wanted some input from experienced mers. Which monofin would you suggest is the best to get? Again, I'm so new it's unreal, and I know nothing about brands of monfins.

I'm in my early 20's, so I'm done growing. I'd never heard of Fish Butt before, so I'll definitely check them out. :D Thank you very much!

Mermaid Saphira
04-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I suggest, personally, starting out with a monofin first. If that doesn't work, a fabric tail is my second suggestion. Tails can be hard to get use to so i would hold off on the high quality tail, just for alittle while. Good luck! :)

MermaidHyli
04-09-2013, 03:05 PM
I agree with Saphira, When I first started mermaiding I had a monofin in a fabric tail and whew buddy that was a work out in its self! I would spend hours in it because I was so excited..then pay for it the next day haha It takes a little bit to work up the muscle but it is totally worth it!

MerEmma
04-09-2013, 04:29 PM
What size shoe are you? That will make it easier to make suggestions. :)

Talise
04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm generally a between a 7 and an 8, depending on the shoe. Usually 7 1/2.

Mermaid Dottie
04-09-2013, 06:51 PM
I would definitely go monofin, then fabric tail, then a neoprene or partial silicone tail, then a full silicone tail. This way you can build your muscles up as you practice. I also recommend practicing diving and holding your breath, as these will be really REALLY useful to you as a mermaid, whether you plan on doing it professionally, or just for fun.

MerEmma
04-09-2013, 07:00 PM
http://www.cleverdicks.com.au/images/stock/MERFIN-BLUE-LG_1334286979.jpg
Oceanika MerFin, $89 + shipping.

http://djsports.com/images/Z2/finis-wave-monofin-17712-784z.jpg
Finis Wave, $50-$60 + shipping.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFxNOa3W93vGmDHtNkS0MBdTXMBgpwh hSYRes9HFxoB0EI2wAZ
Finis Foil, $40-$60 + shipping.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FH3y_Pmi8OM/UN-c70O_JqI/AAAAAAAAA0w/iR1ZceVETCs/s400/myfin2.png
Sweammer Hydra. Unknown price. I don't know much about this one honestly.

Just at the top of my head. Check out the monofins thread. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?2909-MONOFINS-THE-OFFICIAL-THREAD

Also you can search the name in the forum for more reviews and such. I have the Oceanika and LOVE it like crazy, but socks are a must. Good luck!

Mermaid Annariea
04-09-2013, 07:46 PM
i know that i jumped straight into a partial latex tail (but i'd recommend partial silicone), since it was semi-realistic, but not too expensive for a first tail. i love it. i would recommend not jumping straight into full silicone, and if you're done growing, go for neoprene or neoprene/silicone. the monofin also matters, as that depends on how much push you'll get.
starting off with just a monofin is also a good idea, although it's not how i did it.

halesloveswhales
04-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Ditto what Annariea said. I was about to make a tail, but it just got really complicated, so i went ahead and bought a partial latex tail. At the time I bought mine, FishButts hadn't started making partial silicone. But I recommend the partial or full silicone.
I definitely recommend getting a monofin first. I have a Waterway, and it has great propulsion, but it hurts my feet. If you get a Waterway, get a size or two bigger than you think!
http://www.freediveshop.com/popup_image.php?pID=427&osCsid=91890f8c1a0ef5e5eabb9f397882a495

AniaR
04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi there fellow Halifax Mermaid :D *waves*

In terms of looking for your first tail it really depends on what you want to do with it, your budget, and how long you're willing to wait. Check out the review section of the site to see what others have experienced. Personally, I started with a fabric for practising while I was waiting for my more realistic tail to come, then I got a super awesome silicone tail after those two. I went in stages and it helped :)

Talise
04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, guys. :D I really appreciate it.

And Hi Raina! :D I've been following your Facebook page like whoa lately :P haha I'd love to meet you sometime, since we're in the same city. :)