PDA

View Full Version : Splash remake?

spottedcatfish
04-12-2013, 11:11 PM
hey all,

Do you think they should re-make the movie Splash, or create a tribute to the movie? Sure it launched Tom Hanks career, and I'm sure nothing will top the original, but I would love to see the movie in theaters! Maybe they should re-master it and show it again. What do you think?

MermaidBrittany
04-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Hmmm I don't know about re making it. Though the mermaid fad apparently is starting up again, i wouldnt want to ruin something as great as the original, but im sure there will be some new mer related movies coming out soon...

Merman_Ryan
04-13-2013, 12:59 AM
As a long time fan of film.........I'm sick of remakes. For every John Carpenter's The Thing..........we get a The Wicker Man.

spottedcatfish
04-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Hmmm I don't know about re making it. Though the mermaid fad apparently is starting up again, i wouldnt want to ruin something as great as the original, but im sure there will be some new mer related movies coming out soon...

I hope so. I also hope they are original and not some teen flick or predictable romance...

DexRicon
04-13-2013, 02:18 AM
I would take a predictable romance if it is well done. Splash was pretty predictable, but that's what made it good. It allowed the story to concentrate less on the actual plot and more on the characters. Ron Howard's entire point to the movie was exactly that; simplicity. Telling Tom Hanks 'all you have to do is love the girl' and even removing some elements of complication (the sea witch for example) because they took away from the characters. While, yes, I like complicated deconstructions of various genres -Watchmen is my favorite movie of all time- the movies that stick with you are the ones that click when you're six and when you're six hundred.

spottedcatfish
04-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Good point DexRicon and welcome to the network.

MerAnthony
04-13-2013, 08:30 AM
They have done so many remakes of other movies I don't think I would mind a remake of Splash. Some of the remakes are better than the first movie. But to see a remake of Splash,That would be interesting to see. If they make one.

NeiOtik
04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
So, long as we finally get to see the Alan character's tail I wouldn't mind and it would let me and I'm sure other's pretend like Splash Too never happened.

MermaidBrittany
04-15-2013, 01:14 AM
I hope so. I also hope they are original and not some teen flick or predictable romance...
Yes PLEASE that would be nice :P Though Splash was great because it was predictable, it would be nice not to have the next one be so :)

Nate Walis
04-15-2013, 03:39 PM
So long as it's not Robert Patterson as Alan and some awful little skinny actress as Madison; I'd hate a remake, but at least if we were spared that horror it might not be cringe-worthy.

AniaR
04-15-2013, 07:51 PM
I'd love to see it reversed with a merman! :D I just want costumes not cgi ;)

meremily
04-20-2013, 11:05 PM
just to make it in bluray special edition would be great too!

Echidna
05-03-2013, 12:13 PM
I just re-watched it (the memories <3) and must say:

no remake, please.
Imo it's perfect. I've never understood why to remake films anyway if the story remains exactly the same.
Exception would be if it's a really old movie in black and white or without sound ;P
then yeah, but otherwise?

Only if there's a different story, at least partially.
Maybe a more serious tone to the script, less "funny persons" and such?
Splash is heavy in the comedy department.
I could have done without that, but it lends the film its own particular, nostalgic charm as well.

What we DO need are more well-made films on mermaids in general,
such as the 2003 movie which is absolutely great! (apart from the silly wish thing...I hated that :D )

DexRicon
05-03-2013, 06:34 PM
I suppose that's true. Splash is somehow not distinctly eighties any more than The Wizard of Oz is distinctly thirties. Still, a comedy is the only way they could have made that movie back then. They needed a big name attached in order to get it going and every dramatic actor at the time required both lead billing and lead pay. Today there are enough comedic actors with the dramatic chops willing to do it, particularly when combined with the directors with a light enough touch to keep the plot simple without adding in unnecessary slapstick.

What is really intriguing now that I think of it is how it is truly two movies. There's the love story, two people who must make the choice between whose world to live in due to a difference that neither can control. But then what about Kornbluth? Who among us hasn't known something with all their intellectual facilities and been put down as 'crazy?' Why couldn't the new movie explore Kornbluth as a dark character, smart and kind but driven into bad actions in order to prove himself? Allen and Madison get their happily ever after together. Poor Walter proves himself as a valid scientist then sacrifices it all as he realizes what he did. Thrown into a basement with a broken arm to likely spend the rest of his life in federal prison for aiding in the theft of government property.

Okay, now I feel awful.

Ariadne
06-06-2013, 07:07 PM
I never quite got the ending, or at least not the foreshadowing of events after the movie ends...so Alan can breathe underwater when he's with her, but do they just swim around the ocean forever or does she have a "home" down there? Also, someone mentioned his tail, does he grow a tail eventually? (I never saw Splash Too, so I have no idea what the premise of that is.)

SeaGlass Siren
06-06-2013, 07:52 PM
ariadne, i think she has a home. cuz they swim into this black abyss and there's these glowing blue lights ...

Mermaid Kalliope
06-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Splash... Love the movie, I know I do, but I can never remember much from it. ><

IF they make a remake, let's hope James Cameron doesn't get a hold of it. Love Titanic and love Avatar, but I'm with Raina... I want costumes, not CGI. Why use CGI for mermaids when we have all these amazing ways to make REAL tails?! I mean, come on!

I am working on a script of my own that focuses a lot on the mermaid world rather than the human world, so let's hope it does well when made! It won't have CGI, all costumes and what not! I want it to be real! :D

Sea Pearl
06-07-2013, 09:32 AM
I agree with your post Kailani. Why cgi tails when we have so many ways to make wonderful realistic looking ones?

I LOVE Splash, but I don't know about a remake. Maybe that's just because I love the original so much. I think I would be a bit afriad they would just cgi everything if they remade it. That's just my thought.

Alveric
06-07-2013, 01:36 PM
It all depends on whether your vision of mermaids includes leg-bones and knees, or an extended spine.

I have no objections to CGI or costumes, it just has to be well done and look real.

DexRicon
06-07-2013, 01:46 PM
What about going the way of Aquamarine using animatronics?

spottedcatfish
06-07-2013, 02:05 PM
What about going the way of Aquamarine using animatronics?

That actually had a cool effect. H2O did the same thing, by using prop tails to give that realistic mermaid look, in certain shots which would be impossible for a regular wearable tail to pull off.