PDA

View Full Version : How do you chose your tail color?

Aziara
04-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Seriously, I can't decide. I like green because it's so traditional mermaid(my eyes are also a deep moss green), but I also am fond of purple or maybe even brown/tan. Whatever I choose will likely be palest on the belly and darkest on the dorsal line.
My hair is medium/dark brown, and I have been told I am an 'autumn', meaning I look good in earthy colors. I tend to be pale, and I have reddish tones in my skin.
How did everyone else choose their colors?

MerEmma
04-13-2013, 10:56 AM
I haven't chosen yet but I know for my fabric tail I want to do a deep, royal blue and silver. I mostly chose them because I love silver and the first color (personally) that I think goes well with it, is royal blue. I also did factor in my hair and skin tones, but not overly.

Thalassa
04-13-2013, 12:07 PM
My first tail, I wanted green because it went with my eyes and red hair. I paired it with gold and a cream belly.

With my Merbellas tail, I wanted it based off of a real fish. I looked up a bunch of fish, and I knew I still wanted green in it. I finally thought of a rainbow trout (which was the first fish I ever saw outside of the aquarium) and settled on that. Raven was amazing and added a little gold to the red, cream and green.

So it was a lot of different considerations.

Aziara
04-13-2013, 03:17 PM
I do know whatever I chose, there will definitely be spots included in the design. I'm actually looking at rainbow trout as far as spots go. Also looking at spotted dolphin, as they have a nice gradient in color.

Mermaid Tula
04-13-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm currently making my first tail, and I love green. So I found an awesome green fabric with silver through out all of it.

Marilla
04-15-2013, 12:35 AM
One fun thing to do is look at photos of fish with your colors by googling "green fish" etc. also, if you can take a trip to a local formal wear shop with a friend, try on gowns in the colors you want, so you can see how that much base color will look on you. Take pictures to look at later when you aren't still set on how pretty the dresses are though. :)

xoxo ~ Mermaid Marilla

MermaidBrittany
04-15-2013, 01:08 AM
I do know whatever I chose, there will definitely be spots included in the design. I'm actually looking at rainbow trout as far as spots go. Also looking at spotted dolphin, as they have a nice gradient in color.
Wow that lloks like a great idea :) That will look awesome. I like the color scheme, very "natural"

Aziara
04-15-2013, 12:37 PM
I certainly do want a rather natural color scheme, more similar to freshwater or brackish water fish instead of bright like reef fishes. I did this sketch with jade/olive green and dark violet. It's a bit more of a natural look than most pics I've seen, but with a little splash of unexpected color :)
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o554/Aziara86/photo-6.jpg

Talise
04-15-2013, 01:09 PM
I personally go by my favorite colors and what compliments my skin tone; I have a very cool skin tone, so jewel colors look best. I've been debating between emerald, blue or purple; purple looks the best on me, I think, and it's definitely a favorite color.

But go with what you like! :D I love your design right now; it's lovely :)

MermaidFyre
04-15-2013, 02:26 PM
I love warm colors, most mermaid tails tend to be in cool colors so mine really pops(: I also look good in warm colors, so it's a plus.

Right now, my fabric tail is red and shimmery and my partial sillicone that should be coming soon is orange with red and yellow like fire (hence my name). I'm sort of a pyro-maniac, and a fire mermaid is just element-clashing awesomeness.

Your current design looks great, pale greens and violets go really well together(: All in all, if you like a design, there's nothing stopping you from creating your tail! I have yet to see a mermaid tail that DOESN'T look good on its mer, despite skin tone and hair color.

Have a bubbly day! :mermaidkiss:

~Mermaid Fyre

Aziara
04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
I get what you're saying about warm vs cool colors. I think that's why I like the more yellowy/brown olive rather than emerald or teal.

Mizuko
04-15-2013, 08:07 PM
I followed my personality and my favourite colours :) so pastels! haha! I love pastel pink, blue, purples, etc. and pearl colours too. It makes for a very girly tail but thats who I am ^_^

Aziara
04-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Well, I was looking through my closet... Lots of green, but no olive... Lots of emerald and hunter though. I'm remembering now how sickly I look in olive :/ I was also not happy with the fluke.
So new sketch. Front:
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o554/Aziara86/photo-9.jpg
back:
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o554/Aziara86/photo-10.jpg
I based the fluke off of the lyretailed mollies and swordtails, some of my favorite aquarium fish. Best part: no monofin cutting! I was scared to death of ruining it.
Currently trying to come up with a mermaid name for myself... Thinking of 'Peridot', though true peridot stones are more yellow... Kind've a cute pun with me having 'dots' all over my tail. What's other names that bring to mind the color green?

Mermaid Pickles
04-26-2013, 11:40 AM
My first tail was a red spandex tail from the2tails, and I just kinda stuck with the fire engine red color. Red isn't actually my favorite color, but for some reason, my mer-self has decided that tails on me must be red. Though if I ever get a merbellas tail, I may go for a dalmation Lyretail Mollie design....with ONE orange spot....maybe....though red seems to be my color for mermaiding....Go figure.

Mermaid Pickles
04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Well, I was looking through my closet... Lots of green, but no olive... Lots of emerald and hunter though. I'm remembering now how sickly I look in olive :/ I was also not happy with the fluke.
So new sketch. Front:
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o554/Aziara86/photo-9.jpg
back:
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o554/Aziara86/photo-10.jpg
I based the fluke off of the lyretailed mollies and swordtails, some of my favorite aquarium fish. Best part: no monofin cutting! I was scared to death of ruining it.
Currently trying to come up with a mermaid name for myself... Thinking of 'Peridot', though true peridot stones are more yellow... Kind've a cute pun with me having 'dots' all over my tail. What's other names that bring to mind the color green?
Ha, Mollies.....pretty little fishies. one of my dalmation lyretails has a single orange spot. ><

Aziara
05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Well, I sketched out my fluke. It's a whopper! (Not as big as some, but much wider and bigger than a normal Rapid fin. Gonna have to extend it quite a lot)
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o554/Aziara86/photo-12.jpg
Also finally decided on a mermaid name. Salina Tideglow.

Mer_Adella
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Honestly, I do not like pink as much as I do blue or green. But for some reason when I ordered my fabric for my first tail, I saw the fuscia pink and was like "thats it" I honestly dont know why. then I got compliments that stated that I was younger than my age. and that the pink complimented my skintone. So I am just going to stick with it. Besides I know very few mermaids that have an all pink tail. Most have pink mixed in with their tail, but not many with an all pink tail. I can't wait to get mine soon and see what a beauty it will be.

LittleTreasure
05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
My comment's like the one above... I chose pink for my tail not because it's my favorite color, but because I felt the pink fabric that I found was 'it' for some reason. It was great fabric, had plenty of shiny scales, and it just felt right. When I'm wearing my tail, the pink just makes me feel happy and carefree. Maybe you'll find a color or picture or fabric that just screams 'Pick ME!' at you. (Btw I like your tail design)!

Aziara
05-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Well, I think I have found my 'pick me!', as you said :)http://spandexhouse.com/images/products/H-1781a.jpgI'm not sure if I can paint the violet dots onto the holographic foil scales, but I'm making the fluke from plain fabric, so I'll certainly paint that.

Mermaid Danielle
05-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Honestly, I do not like pink as much as I do blue or green. But for some reason when I ordered my fabric for my first tail, I saw the fuscia pink and was like "thats it" I honestly dont know why. then I got compliments that stated that I was younger than my age. and that the pink complimented my skintone. So I am just going to stick with it. Besides I know very few mermaids that have an all pink tail. Most have pink mixed in with their tail, but not many with an all pink tail. I can't wait to get mine soon and see what a beauty it will be.

OMG! Mine was the same for my second tail! I was in the store looking for a blue or green, and saw the pink and did the whole 'that's it!' thing as well! Lol :)

As far as deciding colors goes, I think it really depends on when you find the 'it' factor. Go to the store and see what's available. If you are painting it, do the same with paints. You'll find what you are looking for without even realizing it :)

Goldie
05-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Isn’t that crazy? I was the same way I knew I wanted snake skin print but I was really thinking blue. But when I saw the orange I was just stunned. That was IT. And I don’t normally like orange. But I LOVE my fabric. So far I made my tail and a bikini with two different types of bottoms.

Goldie
05-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Like Magic.

Aziara
05-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Ok... So I again got dissatisfied with my fluke design. I'm terrible at making my own designs, I always go back and change them later. Part of the reason too is that I had a bad experience with ordering a Rapid, so now I think I'll just make it out of lexan, so that gives me a little more wiggle room as far as design is concerned (not working around the clunky shape of a premade fin) So here's fluke version 3.0
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o554/Aziara86/photo-14.jpg

Alveric
05-23-2013, 12:21 PM
This one is cool, I rather like these swallowtail designs.

Mermaid_Aurora
05-23-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm still saving for my tail, but how I picked my colors was basically, first I decided which out of my favorite colors I wanted the MOST. I'll get more tails later on so it was really a matter of what I wanted to have the most. I chose blue, because it's pretty much my number 1 favorite color. But, I also wanted it based on a real fish, so I took my color blue and paired it with the fish I wanted, and vwala. Came up with my design. Probably took me about a month to make that final decision though. I'm really pale, so blues and other light colors tend to look pretty well on me. Not to mention about 90% of the clothes in my closet is some shade of blue LOL. Though I'd imagine picking a tail color isn't always as obvious as it was for me.

Mermaid Octavia
05-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm like Adella! I would normally choose something like gold or copper, maybe a dark purple, but black was telling me it was the color for me. So... my tail is black! :D

Echidna
05-23-2013, 06:40 PM
http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o554/Aziara86/photo-14.jpg
It's lovely!
And quite big. Will you put in a special-cut monofin?
Or how will you prevent the ends from drooping?

Deciding on a colour for a tail was difficult for me.
I don't have a favourite colour, I like many.
Especially blue-greens, turquoise, silver, but also white.

That's why I have several tails, and plan on having more.
Gotta fish them all! :D

Aziara
05-23-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm gonna make the whole thing out of a sheet of lexan. The veins that run off the ends will be this stuff: http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1&storeId=10702&catalogId=10051&productId=3418914&store=3015&view=detail
i'll paint the tubing, but the cool thing about a lexan fluke is it is transparent.

Mermaid Kalliope
05-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Well, for me, it was easy. Haha But my first tail was green because I wanted to make an Ariel costume. It just sort of.... took off from there. I looked up tropical fish because I LOVE how they look! So bright and fiesty. Heehee I found a fish and just immediately was like "BAM! THAT'S MY FISH!!!" So, I made a design and let it just sit. Finally I got around to making a neoprene tail and I just knew it had to be red. Red is just my colour. My Merbellas tail will be red, yellow, orange and a have a touch if blue. Just like my fish. :-D

I do have a "secondary" design that is blue and white with a touch of yellow. Haha

Sometimes it just hits you. Only YOU know what will be your tail. No one else can tell you that.

SeaGlass Siren
05-26-2013, 10:44 PM
I wonder of its possible to make a manta mermaid tail or a flamenco fish body suit