PDA

View Full Version : Net for mermaid tops - what kind?

Ondine
04-15-2013, 03:46 PM
I am massively struggling to find the right kind of net for a mermaid top. I think this is probably because I have no idea what it's called. Searches online for net have brought up really thick cargo net or really fine netting for dressmaking etc, but I can't find any actual ...net!
Could any of you lovely mermaids help me out with what it's called? And where you found yours?

Thank you!

Mermaid Lorelei
04-15-2013, 03:50 PM
The majority of the netting that I see around the boards is the type found at Hobby Lobby.

Ondine
04-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I'm in the UK so no hobby lobby alas! We have a shop called HobbyCraft but I've not found anything on their website. And with eBay I'm just finding the wrong kind of net :P

Kanti
04-15-2013, 04:26 PM
You can find netting at most army surplus stores or off eBay/Amazon.
Michaels carries it seasonally and ACMoore has it stocked all the time (not sure if you have those where you are)

Ondine
04-17-2013, 05:58 AM
In the end I managed to find what I wanted by searching "netting decor" and finding novelty fish nets for party decoration... a bit convoluted, but nevermind - I got there!
Thanks for the help.

Mermaid Marissa
04-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I'm in the UK so no hobby lobby alas! We have a shop called HobbyCraft but I've not found anything on their website. And with eBay I'm just finding the wrong kind of net :P

I used to get mine on Amazon.com they have tons of the right kind of netting and it's cheaper than what I've found in stores for the amount you get.

Kayyi
01-30-2015, 03:58 PM
would you guys recommend using polymer netting or nylon? I have also found rubber but refuse to use that.

Mermaid Jaffa
01-31-2015, 08:25 PM
would you guys recommend using polymer netting or nylon? I have also found rubber but refuse to use that.

I like the ones made with thin braids. They're soft and very hard to find.

Mermaid Momo
01-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Somewhat related:
I just bought some netting from Micheals and it smells really really really weird. Anyone else encounter this? (Just read the back and it's real recycled fish net) How can I get rid of the smell? Can I soak it in something overnight?

Mermaid Jaffa
01-31-2015, 10:53 PM
baking soda?
Ya know you can buy new fishing net from fishing and tackle shops.

Mermaid Momo
01-31-2015, 11:13 PM
I was thinking of soaking it in some clean water for a bit, but I'll try dusting it in baking soda first.
But will the net be that brown color? do they even make nets that aren't that weird cording anymore? I don't think we have a fish and tackle shop here any way, but I could try the fishing section of target and walmart.

Seraphina Suds
02-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Mine smells like that too. I think Iona said you can soak/wash it in some detergent and that will make it smell better and it won't be as stiff. I might be wrong though.

Mermaid Jaffa
02-01-2015, 05:29 PM
You could try Napisan. Its a kind of pre soak soap for nappies. Its famed for getting smells and stains off! Maybe you could try a similar product?

Aziara
02-03-2015, 03:54 PM
I washed mine in the bathtub with some laundry detergent. You would not believe how disgusting the water was after! It took nearly 3 rinses to completely clean. The netting looks a little paler, but you really have to get that gunk off. It'll come off in the pool anyway!

Mermaid Momo
02-03-2015, 06:56 PM
How'd you wash it Aziara? I'm trying to wrap my head around thoroughly washing something with so many holes in it (usually when I hand wash stuff I just scrub sections together with my knuckles but there isn't much to scrub together with netting lol)

Aziara
02-03-2015, 07:01 PM
I put about an inch or two of water in the tub with the detergent, then just sort of swished, scrunched and squeezed the netting with my hands. You're certainly right that it would be impossible to scrub it with itself like you normally would with handwashing cloth, lol! Mostly I guess it was getting scrubbed against the bottom of the tub.

Mermaid Momo
02-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the tips! I just washed it and the water was so disgusting! (I also tore a small hole in a small piece of net but that's okay.)

Meronica
02-12-2015, 01:26 AM
I just bought the same type of netting from Michaels today...I ended up washing it in dish soap and water to get rid of most of that fishy smell. (I know we're all half-fish, but it was just too much! Ick!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elle
03-10-2015, 07:34 PM
I hate having to find netting. My last trip to Ebay had me spending money to receive something that looked nothing like what I thought it would be. I wish I had access to something like Michaels or HobbyLobby so I was getting the right thing.

I have used a couple of string bags for one top, but everytime I look at it, I like it less and less because the netting isn't what I want it to be. I really want the little knots tying the netting together.

OceanRose
03-10-2015, 07:46 PM
I'm in the same position, Elle. I'm considering making my own but haven't researched it yet

Mermaid Jaffa
03-10-2015, 07:53 PM
Do you mean netting that looks like this?

Netted bag
If yes, it doesn't take long to make. Because of the way its made, it can expand in size. This shows my small purse inside it. It took me about 45 mins of straight tying, no breaks in between. I used Chinese knotting cord but you can also use other types of nylon knotting cord. It swims well, has not faded much. Just like all things swimwear, got to rinse well after swims and hang dry in shade.

Can of beans acted as a weight so that when I turned the circle loom around, it didn't slide off the table! I used circle loom to put the loops on, that way when I take a break, I know where I'm at instead of trying to find it if it was tied in a bunch.

Oh and the knots are regular knots that I tied and made it so it faced the same direction. Burn the string ends with a lighter so it don't fray.

PearlieMae
03-10-2015, 09:09 PM
I tie mine on a picture frame, and I made a shuttle for the cord out of some scrap plastic. It's really easy, I found how to videos on YouTube. It does take a long time if you want small holes/tighter netting.

If any international mers want me to pick up and ship the netting from Michael's, the large bag of netting is $19.99, and I can calculate shipping to wherever you are. :mermaid kiss:

Also, if I get a coupon, I'll deduct the savings from the shipping. Send me a private message!

Prairie Mermaid Jamie
03-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Marine supply stores. Sometimes places that sell/work on boats have it in different sizes. Here they call in fence net since fishnet was stolen by the fashion industry.

You can rolling boil the netting too to clean it with a sprinkle of detergent or vinegar. Works fairly well. I boil all mine because I dye it. They dont make pink net in the good stuff :(